Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Cyhalloi rough sketch  (Read 9714 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2002, 00:32:00 »

well, I gave Xarl some room so he could 'Play' with the orcs. As with the faburi-Orc borders, do what you wish with this, as it's your land.

Ah... lemme snag another Cyhalloi map and make work to the Climate... Your suggestions are great, Avis, I'll put them in.

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Avis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2002, 04:08:00 »

Probably to Koldar but anyother Orc expert will do. If someone lives on Orcish borders and does not attack the orcs would the orcs attack them or leave them in peace or what?

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2002, 19:27:00 »

Sorry, I don't regularly visit this forum... Here's my request.
Could you split up the Kasumarii territory a bit? I need to do the entry for the Griemn-Oc at some point, but anyhoo, this is my vision of my creations.
The northern of the two southwesternmost islands is the home of the Griemn-Oc, and as such the Kasumarii have little to no influence there. The other islands... I'd like them to be equally split up between the Griemn-Oc and the Kasumarii in a porportion of about 3-2, reason being that if the Kasumarii were that numerous, things for them would be far too easy. Also, they are meant to be a not-large group. If they were bigger, they'd be better able to acheive their stated goal of killing every last member of the Orcish race. (I never once said they were rational.)
The Griemn-Oc practice a form of the Orcish religion that other Orcish tribes regard as blasphemy; as such, they are something of pariahs to the Orcs at large. They worship Foiros under the name Griemnpor (the name was given to him in Kasumarii mythology as far too many survivors remembered the Orcs shouting 'For Griemnpor" as they charged into their frigid forest hideouts) and also are in general more violent than other Orcs. Nasty boys; not the brightest among Orcs, these are more like the extremist religious fanatics of the green-skinned world.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Tower, Master of the Magic Forum, Teacher of RP Sorcery and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest pure text sig in Santharia
And it's still growing....
For the non-ferreted... - Master of All Things Magical
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true... particularly mine!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2002, 11:51:00 »

Here's another map from Viresse, an updated climate map...
And this is what Viresse has to add:

Allright. I took what Avis had made of the Tribes map, and made an interesting climate map. I made sure that everyone had different kinds of land on the three main islands. All the islands I kind of left alone; As the Northwest islands are for Orcs; the Southern islands for the Kasumarii ( don't know what Xarl wants) and the north eastern Islands for Avis and the Faburi ( I recall him saying he wanted ice-lands, so I colored them white.)

Bright Green: Farmable land
Cool-Green: Tundra
White: neverthaw ice pack

Hope this makes some sense!

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 21 June 2002, 13:08:00 »

And one more from Xarl, who'd like to say:

Took the liberty of messing with the map... The islands I marked in red I want for the Griemn-Oc. That's really all I want. Sorry, a bit drawn-out over there...

So maybe you three can somehow come up with a final map, all in one, cause that's what I need in the end to have something to work with.

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 June 2002, 13:33:00 »

I'm not certain about the Orcs, yet. From all I see they must be able to have some basic shipping skills with all these small islands they own?
Well, this wouldn't be much of a problem given that they came to Cyhalloi somehow but it somehow has to influence their behaviour 'cause I don't think Orcs like water. Though their rage and determination might make them possible to ignore their hatred against this element...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2002, 22:16:00 »

I like that Map, Xarl. As I had left the Islands alone, you can do with them as you wish. I don't think Avis will have a problem... So all the red is ALL you want for the orcs, and no more? Or do you wish to keep what red was there and add on? Either way I have no problem.

I get your point as well; Koldar. But the explination you've come up with is good, so I think it might work. However; their skill in boating will allow them to wreak havoc on the whole of Cyhalloi... It's an interesting idea, though I plan on keeping the Cyhallrhim more of a ghostly presence than an actual attacker or a threat.

Did that make any sense?

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 June 2002, 22:38:00 »

Alrighty. The Orcs on the mainland can be for someone else. And the Griemn-Oc are most definately not your average Orcs. They are really, as I said, the religious extremists of the Orcish tribes. The normal Orcs hate 'em, the Kasumarii hate 'em... practically the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they have a slightly better togetherness than might be expected, as uniform hatred breeds said.
So, in summary.

Majority of islands: Kasumarii.
Minority of islands: Griemn-Oc.
Orcs of mainland: Evil, nasty bastards-Oc.
North Mainland: Faburi.
Scattered around: Cyhallrhim.

For the most part, the Griemn-Oc, with their rudimentary seafaring skills, are most viciously repulsed wherever they go, thanks to their Orcish reputation as blasphemers, their Kasumarii reputation as butchers, their Faburi reputation as something or other that's nasty, and their Cyhallrhim reputation as target practice. But somehow they survive, even when home is filled with sneaking war parties of assassins, invisible poisons, and the occasional magically created ice storm, and when the nearest island is if not the same, worse. Darwinian processes are at work here with a vengeance... the result is a bunch of fiercely religious, cold-resistant, less afraid of water, very alert/paranoid, not that sharp, and in general meaner bunch of greenskins.  

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Tower, Master of the Magic Forum, Teacher of RP Sorcery and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest pure text sig in Santharia
And it's still growing....
For the non-ferreted... - Master of All Things Magical
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true... particularly mine!

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 June 2002, 14:42:00 »

makes sense. Okay, Xarl. Ilike the concept of Target Practice, oddly. I can see it.

A troop of 10 Cyhallrhim march across the tundra in single file, humming the same somg in the same voice. Suddenly, an off-toned grunt ecapes one of the elves, and he flops over; an ice-spear-spike embedded in his chest. The elves pause and look at their already-dead comerade. Another grunt escapes a different elf; he falls to the ground in the same fashion with the same wound. A few of the elves look to the newly fallen elf while a few others look in the direction of the projectiles. Another elf falls in the same fashion, and the 7 remaining elves simply look in the direction of the projectiles, then with a comic-like scene of jumping and confusion, they run very quickly back the way they came.

hee. Quite monty-python-ish...

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 June 2002, 08:24:00 »

Currently the land distribution seems to still lack some structure. They all seem scattered evenly over the place, currently there doesn't seems too much reason why someone lives at this place.

Ice Elves and Faburi can come along quite well, I guess, the ones are more living along teh coast the other more inland and the area is not that densly populated.

Problematic seems to me what the place, power and living habit of Kasumarii are??? When they're only hunters and assassins they won't do well on islands where they cannot hide from their enemies(other than on bigger lands with mountain ranges where they can just wander to some other place and so evade someones counterattack)
When they're a tribe with power and some major settlements I doubt they would get along with stealth and assassination 'cause they have to defend those places or conquer places (both cannot be done without armies and open battles)

Islands are always easier to defend then other places but when they're not seafaring they would not do well on these few rocks, either.

A similar problem for the Griem-OC. Either they're only hunters and we have to nomadic tribes (Kasumarii and Griem-Oc who fight each other for food), in that case islands are a bad place to do so 'cause there's not much room for both sides, one would've been wiped out centuries ago.

For the same reason I would remove the Orcs from the northwestern islands 'cause I don't know see how they should have come to that place, what they would do there and why they would stay there...

These are the things I would suggest to give some more thought, at least I still have some doubts with these points.

One suggestion of solution would be to place the Kasumari to the northwestern group of islands and the Griem-Oc to the south and give both enough culture, organization and technology to wage war against each other. After centuries of conflict (and some terrible disasters for both sides) each side might have come to the conclusion to accept the others domain to some extent (to give up conquering it by militaric means) and have changed their strategy to guerrilla tactics, sending raiding parties and pirates to weak settlements of the enemy to perform hit and run attacks.
Here the learnt expertise of the Kasumari would again make sense as well as the fact that the war continues over millenias now with no side being on the winner's side. They plainly got used to the fact that sometimes the otehr side raids an unimportant fishing hamlet or outpost. No deceisive battles, no side losing men they're needing.

My suggestion to put the Kasumari northwest and the Griem-Oc south is mainly based on the dark ways of Kasumari which make them more fitting to the dark north and the fact that from the southern islands the Orcs would 've the opportunity to bring havoc to other people as well...

Hope these thoughts are all in one way or the other helpful! :)  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 June 2002, 23:43:00 »

Makes sense to me. As no one has called the Orcs, and Orcs tend to be your domain, I assume you're okay with it.

However, we'll have to talk to Xarl about it.

As for the tribe groupings so Chaotic, I made the boarers to allow for mingling and battle skirmishes. That's all.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 June 2002, 03:53:00 »

No, no, not too chaotic but certain tribes woulkd live in distiunctive areas so that should be relative orderly...

E.G. perhaps only Ice Elves can live and survive in the very north so the Faburi have to move south or stay to the coasts

The above were only some more thoughts about it!

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 6/25/02 10:54:48 am
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 June 2002, 01:22:00 »

Hm. Well, the Faburi, I'm told, are the Far nothern people, in the Icy areas. I'd like some of the Cyhallrhim to have some ice as well, but with the introduction of Tundra, I love the idea of the Cyhallrhim stalking about in the tall grey weeds.

So, maybe we should div'vy up the tribes according to climate? Yeah, that's a better idea. Where's that snootin' climate map?  

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 November 2002, 05:27:00 »

Alright, me and Sahndorf need some definate info on Kasumarii areas, so, I've basically decided on this for a start....

Red are the orcs, still in Xarl's same places.
Blue are the Kasumarii.
Black are either unclaimed or claimed by someone other than the Kasumarii. This includes more possibly more orc controlled islands.

Only need a definate plan on the Kasumarii... everything else can be left to you peeps.

Reasons for choosing what I did for the Kasumarii are:
- As stated in the entry, they are at the southern-eastern most islands.
- The largest claimed island of Kasumarii (Guldor) is right next to the partially claimed island of the Griemn-oc (Dorolak), close enough that large fleets are not needed.
- The islands in control by the Kasumarii are relatively close to each other as to not heavily spread out their light numbers and to allow quick help from reinforcements.

Kay?

Santharia's General Commenter, Developer, and Magic Messenger of Doom.
Contact at cmdrmernik@hotmail.com

The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 November 2002, 05:57:00 »

ARGH! Save such pictures as JPG-Files dasson I thought the link was not working becauise this picture needed five minutes to load!!!!

A question because I cannot make out the color scheme anyway! ;)

Who in Cyhalloi has knowledge about seafare in the great way? We hear that the Kasumarii are known even Santharia so someone has to keep contact with the continent but who, why and where?
As there doesn't seem to be anyone with high advancement there's the question who keeps contact between the continents?

Otherwise I still fear the tribes are mixed up in a confusing way. Maybe some volcano islands would explain why the Orcs are so persistant to live at islands surrounded by enemies...

--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]