Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sihitara: the northeastern housing district  (Read 3464 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« on: 01 August 2005, 01:09:00 »

CAUTION: This is a collaboration between Rayne and Coren. I will personally thump anyone who growls and rolls eyes at the anticipated length of such a joint entry.

Still couldn't find a name for the district - how embarrassing! I would have liked something reminiscent of 'Fleur'.

Introduction/Overview

The district of … is the northeastern housing district of the great metropolis Síhítárá. It is almost an exact replica of the southwestern housing ward … due to the Krean’s obsession with perfecting symmetry. The ward is celebrated for its spilk and silk strands and hence has a reputation for manufacturing the highest quality fabrics in the Twin Kingdom. … also enjoys its reputation as the fashion capital of the … region. Thrice every year, the most illustrious of tailors, designers and textile producers from all over the Grand Empire of Krath congregate in the Great Fair of Butterflies. The prosperous economy of the quarter ensures that even the lower income groups uphold a standard of living beyond the imagination of many minor Zhunite nobles. On the other hand, the prices in … are notorious for being ridiculously high, even for Síhítárá. … also deals in floriculture, and produces (along with its southwestern twin) some of the best honey in the Empire. In addition, … supplies the Temple District with a remarkable range of exotic flora for its perfume industry.

A local saying goes that the people of … are as colorful and jovial as spring blossoms in their own rights. Despite the exceptional activity, the region always seems to be enveloped by an almost spiritual air of bliss and harmony. Perhaps it truly is the next difficult thing to impossible to remain disgruntled around the heavenly gardens the district is so famous for.

…’s mark is the gorgeous Violet Priestess (a.k.a. the Violet Sky Dancer), one of the largest members of the butterfly family native of the region. A group of priestesses from the High Temple of Ankriss (christening themselves as the Violet Dancers after the well-known butterfly) serve as the guard of honor for the Warden of State. Besides their armed services, the Violet Dancers perform on a majestic dance on the penultimate day of the Great Fair.

De*****ion
… sits on a rhombus shaped cleared forest terrain in northeastern Síhítárá. A great plaza, known as the Central Circle or the Butterfly Park occupies the heart of the district.

A grand fountain occupies the heart of Central Circle. The central pedestal supporting the fountain runs about another … after the eight water terraces (the lowest and largest one covers roughly …) before giving way to a majestic, sprout shaped plinth upon which the great Violet Sky-Dancer monument the park acquires its name from stands. The bud closes around the butterfly’s lower abdomen, holding up the main body of the sculpture. Each segment or stratum of the abdomen keeps three small dining tables, each with a capacity of entertaining up to three patrons. Not surprisingly given the Krean’s symmetry passion there are three floors overall. These are accessed by an elegant yet narrow spiral-staircase located deep inside the monument. The heads of every third railing is carved into a posing butterfly. The tables are tended by waitresses in butterfly gowns from the nearby … café, located on the ….

The fountain rests on a spring that continually runs cool, crystalline water out of the cool earth, and the fountain lifts it up to the plinth upon which the sculptured bud sits whence small canals branch off like elegant tree limbs, over the path surrounding the fountain and forming elegant arches decorated with bluish vines and silvery white flowers where the water is carried outwards, past the luscious gardens of the Central Circle, carefully outlining the boulevards of the housing district. These canals flow along the main street and are used to irrigate the various personal gardens of the townspeople. Over the centuries the clear waters of the spring created the small lake (now bordered by well kept flower rows) in which the fountain sits.

The butterfly slowly rotates around itself in the bud embracing its lower body to provide a panoramic view of the park below. The rush of the spring is used to power the revolution.

Guests in the rotary restaurant consume their appetizing meals among the charming aromas rising from the flowers gardens below while enjoying the breathtaking sight of (district name). There are also seats sculpted into some of the scales of the forewings where one may delight from a quiet, pensive reading time or sip at his afternoon cha.

A strip of seats helix horizontally up around each of the front wings. These bear a resemblance to airy bands of precious cloth the district is so famous for spinning around the great butterfly. Many a visitor marvels at how such incredibly thin strips support the weight so many stylishly carved seats and their passengers. The strips revolve considerably faster than the restaurant or the wing-seats, completing a panoramic tour in approximately (an hour’s time?)

… is located on the northwestern ward of the Krean metropolis Síhítárá. The great city itself is sited in the Krath jungles of southwestern Nybelmar, perched between two climate zones: the tropical temperature of the south and the cooler weather of the mountain ranges in the north. … is positioned entirely in the cooler climate system.

A district in perhaps only name, … is roughly the size of the Lillivear trade center of Kírkaach (about nine times bigger than the Aesteran town of Sáh).

There are three hundred and seventy six main land routes leading out of the metropolis and thirty seven of these have outlets leading from … The district is also connected by a small network of water canals to the administrative ward, Náráh. All foreign sea trade is transferred to and conducted from the great harbors of Náráh.

People
What kind of people/tribes inhabit the region? And approximately how many? In which part of the region do they settle and why?

Coat of Arms
When the place is a city or tower or a place similar to that, you should as well describe a coat of arms for it. The symbols and drawings on it should somehow describe the place or its attitude. If the description is done well, one of our artists may draw it for real to accompagny your entry in the compendium. So make sure that this description is as detailed as possible.

Climate
It's always good to know how the weather conditions are in the region you describe (you don't have to describe the climate for buildings of course *hehe*): When does it rain in this region? And how often? Is there snow in winter? Is it stormy all day long? Are there good conditions for crops to grow? And so on. You get the idea, right?

Mythology
Often places have legends telling how the place was created or founded. To be original is sometimes difficult here, but a legend of a city can range from a city built on the fundaments of an ancient wizard’s tower, the battle that was won at that spot, two heroes who met there etc.

Flora
Plants, herbs, trees - put in details here!

Fauna
Animals, beasts, monsters - put in details here!

Resources
Describe natural resources and geological conditions here: Can there be found minerals in this region? Or do the inhabitants depend on fish they catch? etc.

Myth/Lore
If you can think of a story or two about this place/region you describe or about sayings, proverbs associated with it, here you go!

History
From the day the place was created to the day it was destroyed or to the present, a general outline of all events happening in between should be given here. It’s recommended to make some sort of table for the history and you should follow this scheme:
Date (e.g. 10.000 b.S.), Caption (e.g. Battle at XYZ), Description (What exactly happened in this battle)

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 8/17/05 15:29

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2005, 06:21:00 »

For a name how about some thing that is a combination of fleur-de-lis?

It is said to have orginated on the River Lys sooo......

Durlys for the district maybe??  :D  :D  :D  :D  

Just throwing out a suggestion.:wave  

In this life the old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, and the young know everything. —Anonymous

Edited by: Thuja at: 7/31/05 14:22
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2005, 12:53:00 »

Thanks Thuja! Would you mind if I saved that for the 'twin' of this district? Nice naming!

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2005, 07:28:00 »

Dear Rayne-a-bunny, I've added the promised fountain section under description. Could you give it a scan please? I am uncertain about a few points. Thanks!

PS: I hope your first day at school went brilliantly!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2005, 07:54:00 »

Coren and Rayne are doing an entry together?
*reserves a whole week for reading*  :p  

Coren, you need to find some artist who draw your stuff - this fountain-restaurant must be really cool..

A question.. is this all situated in  present times, or in the time far back?

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 8/17/05 15:59

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2005, 10:05:00 »

Most of my entries concerning Zhun, the Krean or the Krath Empire are Santharian summaries of documents supposedly written ca. 1900 b.S. After the Year of Darkness (which roughly coincides with the empire's fall) no contact has been established with the Krean peninsula. So, although 'scholarly' I cannot say for certain, I presume the city is still intact ;)

And I'm glad you liked the fountain! The watercanals were Rayne's idea however. I believe you will see more in that direction coming from her.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2005, 15:22:00 »

Reminder:  (from Decipher's 'masterwork ideas' thread, Nybelmar forum)

We can't have that in Sihitara (see below), but I don't see why we shouldn't be able to have that as a neighbouring settlement - sort of the 'workforce' to keep Sihitara running.

Sihitara has a very precise geometric design (I discussed this with Rayne a while ago - it takes a long time to explain the concept though, so I can't promise to do it again soon). Although I don't have the 'content' of each district set in stone yet, there is a very rigid 'structure' that has to be followed: I intend Sihitara to be the epitome of the "symmetry obsession" mentioned in the Krean entry. Basically, the metropolis has radial symmetry: Each district should match its 'yang' (you decide the 'pairs' according to radial sym) perfectly in lay-out. So if there is a central fountain in one district, there should be a fountain of the same size at the exact same spot in the 'complemenatry district'. This applies to everything, from trees to boulevards to the most insignificant 'private' garden or public bench.

That is exactly what makes navigating Sihitara so frustrating for a complete stranger: One feels as if one is continually moving in circles. Imagine running into identical squares over and over and over - makes you go mad, especially if you consider the size of the city...

However, it is not mind-numbingly 'boring' for the Krean inhabitants. Think of it as an insider joke of some sort: While each of the 'pair' districts seems to mirror the other with unnerving precision, the Krean have actually introduced a very significant number of 'nuances' - the more subtle, the more 'fun'. (It is a continuing challenge for the Krean to acquaint themselves with ALL of these 'tricks').

Some of these differences are more glaringly obvious: For instance, the central fountain of one district might be shaped as a Violet Sky Dancer while that of the pair, although identical in proportions, might be a Spiral Butterfly. This is where the 'themes' come into play. Each district should have a distinct theme or 'feel' - which should correspond to the main lines of production/trade there. For instance, the one Rayne and I were co-authoring was the 'flora capital': lots of honey, perfume etc manufacturing - and was one of the bastions for the butterfly sentries/spies. Therefore the 'symbol' was the great Violet Sky Dancer monument (the rotating fountain/cafe). That's also why we introduced the 'veins' of glass aquaducts and tubes watering the city.

I will open Sihitara to devoted Nybelmar developers like Mira and you if either of you is interested once we get the first 'pair' completed as an example of how it should be done. Then all that needs to be done is writing down the 'structure': the symmetry and general substance (ie which district is known for what)

Also, with 'mild poverty', bear in mind that you would be writing for the Krean before the fall of the Empire. Which means 'mild poverty' for the Krean in actually 'upper middle-class' for the average tribe. A lot of money flowing in to the Krean kingdom from trade, feeding its perpetual voracity.

Sihitara is a very 'middle-class and above' (and mind, to KREAN standards) location - the property prices are scorching - so even a decent, little shop hints at a quite wealhty owner... Which is all the more reason to accommodate your idea! We would need TREMENDOUS labour to keep a luxury capital of that size running... (however, remember that even these 'work-camps' should be aesthetical to some extent - we can't have bleak, 'communal' concretes...
« Last Edit: 17 February 2007, 23:05:53 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]