Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Téthias'quarón (The Oath of the Young)  (Read 1219 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 13 June 2005, 12:55:00 »

Here's an update on the Téthias'quarón entry I've promised. No biggie, but something necessary - on the one hand in order to get an out-of-date entry in proper shape, on the other hand to integrate a picture from Faugar. Also we also have the two portraits of the protagonists here already done, so it makes to put them into the entry as well:)  

Overview.
The Téthias'quarón (Styrásh: Téthias'quarón, lit. "Oath of the Young") is the famous oath sworn by the commanders of the elven and the human armies, the Erpheronian Karthach of Ishmarin and the elven High Ava'ránn hailing from the Maeverhim tribe, Vilanciash of the Sharadon Forest. The agreement was called the "Oath of the Young" as the long serving leaders of both races were eliminated during the war and Karthach hadn't reached his twentieth cyle and the elven Vilanciash also was only in her sixties when swearing to the oath. The oath took place at the final days of the Second Sarvonian War (501 b.S.), marking the end of a period of wars between the human and the elven race, committing both former opponents to the seemingly naive guideline to "never again allow bloodshed" between these two races. Nevertheless the Téthias'quáron has remained valued and respected until this very day, a miraculous fact the historians still fail to explain.

De*****ion.
The Téthias'quarón sealed the end of the Second Sarvonian War (550-501 b.S.), the War of the Inpious. SW II was a decades lasting war between the elven and the human race in southern Sarvonia, which started in 550 b.S. with the looting of the Mausoleum of the Leaders on the Isle of Hope. There leaders of both races - humans and elves - had been enterred together as a sign of peace after the end of SW I. With the desecration of the tomb a long and bloody war began, but the Téthias'quarón would finally peacefully unite the races - it would not bring the races together in death as was the case with the Mausoleum of the Leaders, but it would be a sign of life.

In 501 b.S. the joined human armies suffered severe losses, and with the scenes of mass suicide of the Erpheronian army at the Last Stand at the Selidor Pass in front of his eyes, the newly assigned Erpheronian king and warlord Karthach of Ishmarin surrendered unconditionally to the overwhelming elven forces. A treaty was to be signed near the ruins of Nyermersys between the representative of the human armies and the elven High Ava'ránn, the Maeverhim Vilanciash, who - like her human counterpart - had only recently been elected to the elven suvereign. Karthach was no more than 20 years old while Vilanciash in her late sixties.

In this agreement exact borders were defined, but to the surprise of the humans the elves renounced on the payment of reparations. Instead both leaders assured each other by swearing and oath on the own tribe's insignia to never again start the bloodshed of war between the elven and the human race again - not in their lifetime and not among their ancestors. As a sign of their good-will the emblem of the former hostile tribe was branded at the chest and at both arms of each of the leaders, so that everyone could see their commitment to the contract. Thus the more aggressive Erpheronian phoenix from now on "adorned" the elven leader's body and an elegant white bird with the eye of Avá would be seen on the human counterpart. Since this time every new regent of the Erpheronian and the Maeverhim in representation of their race has to go through this ritual before the coronation. The Téthias'quarón also should be renewed on many important occasions by the leaders of the races or at meetings of elven and human commanders at joint operations.

Later on the Téthias'quarón was condemned and praised by many people on both sides. It was condemned as it is said to have been a naive action of mere "children" without thinking about the consequences and it is praised at the same time as it was precisely just this innocence of the oath, which was mainly responsible for many peaceful years to come.

Importance.
The impact the symbolic rituals of the oath had on elven and human subjects of that time cannot be stressed enough. The burning of the tribe signs into the flesh of the regents was a demonstration of the new alliance and at the same time a very visible solidarity with the public's pain and therefore seen as an act of courage and strong sign of leadership of a new generation in times of chaos and uncertainty. Surpisingly for both sides until this very day the implications of the oath have been heede. Actually the oath brought the races more and more together in the course of time, paving the way for the explicit joining of forces against the orcish invasion in SW III and later for the unification in the Kingdom of Santharia. Also the Erpheronians and the Maeverhim tribes still stand in high esteem by the other elven or human tribes for the Téthias'quarón, representing the major breakthrough towards a peaceful development between the two once fierce enemy races.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/19/05 14:02

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2005, 23:11:00 »

Art:  a very tidy little entry and yes, a great way to integrate that picture!  One comment -  this phrase jumped out at me as being unclear:

"As a sign of their good-will the banner of the former hostile tribe was burned at the chest and at both arms of each of the leaders..."

:veryconfused

Did you possibly mean something like "the emblem of the formerly hostile tribe was branded on the chest and the arm of each of the leaders..."?    

And could you perhaps add what that emblem was, for interest's sake - eg.  "the emblem of the formerly hostile tribe, a soaring eagle, was branded on the chest...."  

You also might want to continue to explicate a bit on how significant that was to both races - as branding has the connotation of something done to animals, or slaves, or from a conqueror to a conquered people.. a fairly serious committment, yes, but also with some rather brutal associations.

: idea   I personally would be tempted to change it to 'tattooed on the chest and the forearm of each of the leaders', especially since the art of tattooing is mentioned as being known among the Brownies and the elves, and carries suggestions of rank and honour, while branding doesn't yet have a place in terms of body decoration OR animal husbandry...  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2005, 01:05:00 »

A history entry! (*looks at the wide field she has not yet much experience in*)

Nothing more to add to Judy‘s praise!

Quote:
"As a sign of their good-will the banner of the former hostile tribe was burned at the chest and at both arms of each of the leaders..."

- Is this so hard to understand in English, what is meant, Judy?
For, it is no branding - as my „feeling“ for the word „to brand“ as well as my dictionary tells me, branding means more putting a sign on an animal to show who is the owner, though it is done by burning them with a hot iron device.Branding means characterising, flagging and so on.

- It is not really a tattoo either. Though tattooing is said to be painful as well, this burning in the sign into the flesh is an act more fitting to this ceremony than a slow tattooing process, it would not be the same, it has to be done in a quick way - well, burning a sign into the arm of the leader, which would only take a few minutes.

Quote:
. The burning of the tribe signs into the flesh of the regents was a demonstration of the new alliance and at the same time a very visible solidarity with the public's pain and therefore seen as an act of courage and strong sign of leadership of a new generation in times of chaos and uncertainty

I don‘t think, that the act of this burning has to have the feeling/meaning which comes with „branding“ at you described above.

Maybe just some rephrasing would solve the problem for native speakers?

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2005, 11:47:00 »

Ok, I adjusted the "emblem" and mentioned now specifics on what kind of emblems these were. It's interesting that we exchange here the Erpheronian phoenix (something pretty much aggressive) with the peaceful "white bird" of Viresse's Maeverhim featuring a willow branch and Avá's eye. The emblems are similar, and still very different - guess that fits great.

As for the tattooing, branding, burning: Well, I definitely wouldn't use tattooing here, for the exact reason you mentioned, Judy - because it is more an art. I think the end of a bloody war is not the right time for art, so there was something done that actually hurt both participants and showed their determination in this respect by enduring this hurting procedure. I personally thought more along the line of animal branding with a hot iron or something, something spectacular, which would be possible to see from the crowd from afar as well. Maybe the bad connotations with branding aren't that problematic here: branded persons or animals were meant to serve others, and if you do it vice versa, then you are "doomed" to serve each other. Guess that fits, or?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2005, 18:01:00 »

Right, for all the reasons you mentioned.

My quibble was with the grammar:  'burned on' sounds as if something was ignited 'on' or above the body of the person, like moxibustion.  What, you mean they set their shirts on fire? :veryconfused   It's rather confusing phrased that way! :broadgrin

Even 'burned into the flesh', while graphic, avoids the use of the word  'brand' and clarifies your intent.  Although....I still like 'brand' because it does have those connotations of servitude - it carries the shock value which I think you actually wanted there!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2005, 06:01:00 »

Ok, so I used the words "burned into the flesh now" and added a sentence where the connection to the animal/slave branding is clarified:

"Not only accidentally this procedure reminded also of the branding of animals or even slaves in former times, where the servitude to a Lord was defined by putting such a fire mark on a beast or human being. Thus with the Téthias'quarón the leaders of whole races brought down their uttermost noble intentions to a level even the peasants could understand due to its graphical display of the basic reciprocal meaning - to serve each other and to be bound to the fate of the other race."

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.