Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Music of the Santharian Kingdom - Old Version  (Read 14421 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 26 September 2005, 18:22:00 »

<!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:yellow;">Talia:  This is a version which I had saved in my files which also contains some of your comments - unfortunately not many, but it is obviously the most recent version I have.  The original post is at the beginning, of course!  Just ignore things like 'Sarvonia' for 'Santharia' and so on, because that hasn't been changed in this old version.   <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :explode -->:explode<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END-->  Dratted Ezboard!  Oh well, at least we have the original to work with....  And Gean - we DO have bagpipes!  See 'bubblechanters', below!
</span><!--EZCODE FONT END-->
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music of Sarvonia

Disclaimer: Please note that this Compendium entry only applies to the Sarvonian continent, and is not used exclusively even there. The northern tribes have their own method of notating music, and the oral/aural traditions of the southern clans do not require written records. Likewise, it only deals with the human system of classification, pitch, notation, and melody. For a sample of elven musical literature, please see the entry on Salaen, a type of Ylfferhim folk music. The Thergerim also use their own instruments, pitches, and notation; see the entry on Dwarven Music. However, in this entry we hope to provide a general sampling of human musical conventions for your edification. Please enjoy!

Maybe you should generally just call it „Music of Central Santharia“, for I might say, that even Milkengrad might have its own music developed, with elven and brownie influence there? Not to speak of the northern Sarvonian tribes who should really have their own music, though the Kuglimz maybe a bit influenced due to their trading connections. Why block further different development with covering such a great area? It may influence other parts of Santharia, but to state from the beginning, that it „is“ the music of Sarvonia, even just Santharia is restricting later entries far too much.

Overview:
According to the music theory developed in New Santhala/Central Santharia
All tones, notes, melodies, songs, instruments, etc. belong in one of four elements and one of four ranges.{Stufen} This provides a possible sixteen categories for classification. Some of the classifications of certain instruments may seem quite arbitrary; as they arise out of a very ancient tradition and are associated with the alchemic mysteries, it can be difficult to explain them in our contemporary understanding of music and how the sounds are actually produced. It suffices to say that our ancestors were more concerned with effects than with processes, as certain instruments which we might seemingly define as wind-operated, such as the flute or pipe, are not classified as Wind instruments. And while some Earth instruments, most notably the dwarven-made, are percussive, not all drums fall into that category. Refer to the table below for some examples of accepted classifications.

-------------------------Missing Table-------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Musical Instruments of Central Santharia
– some common definitions

* Windsinger – a large recorder or pipe formed from a long cross-section of the Windsong giant grass, a variant of bamboo which grows well in the warm, damp tropical regions of Caelereth. Note that the instrument should not be confused with a member of the elven clerical group known as the ‘Windsingers’ or Ava’shae’llae…
{Flöte}
How does it come to Santharia, we don‘t have tropical areas here (not many if at all). Is it an import from where? (Aeruillin?) How common is it then and can it be called a Santharian instrument?

* Bubblechanters – a peculiar set of pipes with a portable bellows (a bag of thickly woven cloth) attached, so the player need not use any of his own wind to create the sound. The instrument must be belted on so that the bag or ‘bubble’ is fastened under the right arm, with one side of the bellows attached to the side of the chest, the other to the arm above the elbow. Thus by moving the bent arm outwards and inwards the bellows are continually pumped, and the air flows through the pipes, or ‘chanters’.
LOL, and the men wear checkered skirts?

* Solcornet – a bifurcated primitive trumpet formed from the horns of the sacrificial cow dedicated to Grothar at the Winter Solstice festival. It plays two notes as a chord, usually ‘Ey’ and ‘Os’ (see Musical Notation, below)

* Krumhorn – a Thergerim-manufactured wind instrument. It is a long, hollow tube constructed of spliced animal horn, about a ped and a half in length, curving upwards and flaring outwards at the bottom, containing three simple metal valves just below the mouthpiece which in combination allow a very low five or six-note range.
You should really do some pics going with this entry.

* Cyrathaelan or Elven Pipe – The name is derived from the Styrash, meaning ‘gentle music-maker’. This slim cylinder of hollowed wood is apparently carved intricately; however, according to the Aellenrhim woodworkers who produce it, no blades are used in the manufacture of these instruments. Rather, the shrub from which it is formed is ‘encouraged’ to twine its delicate tendrils around a metal core until the desired shape, length, and overlay has been achieved. At this point it is removed through a simple incantation and given only the most gentle polishing with a silken cloth to bring up the shine of the wood. The tuning holes are likewise not drilled, but left as natural spaces.
And this delicate instrument is available for human use?

* Meldarine - the well-known Wood Xylophone please, another word here
, a row of slender wooden slats supported by a carved wooden stand. The material is generally Meldarapple or Malus wood, which not only gives a pleasant, naturally resonant tone, but also lends a lovely roseate hue to the finished xylophone. It is played with two medlarwood mallets.

* Guitar more medieval name please

* Dwarven Drum

* Brass Panpipes

* Agelom – an elven-designed stringed instrument associated with Nehtor, resembling a lute. “It has six double strings stretched over a cavity that is the sound box, flanked by a scratch board to protect the instrument from the movement of a plectrum, usually carefully made from rock or wood…”

* Trumpet

* Resonance Organ – The motivation to design this marvellous keyboard instrument came directly from the sound of the Resonance Dragon (which see); after nearly a half-century of experimentation with various fabrics, leathers, reeds, pipes, and other materials in an attempt to duplicate the fabled resonating tones of the Dragon’s webbing, the skilled Féarn’teloría bards and builders have given us the organ in its current form. Great cast-aurium pipes rise from the back of a bellows-box, just over the head of a ‘pumpman’ or ‘bellowslad’ who must treadle the two seat-print-sized foot pedals constantly to keep the voice of the organ alive. At the front, a keyboard of Avennorian whale tusk keys set into baychwood arms allows the musician to open or close the flow of air through the pipes at will. Each ivory key is engraved with its appropriate note, from ‘Deep Ey’ through ‘Low Ey’, ‘Mid Ey’, and ‘High Ey’, all the way up to ‘True Ey’, a full four pantheons! (See Musical Notation, below) The casing of the bellows and keyboard cabinet is carved with a scale pattern and stained in various colours to suggest the beauty of the Resonance Dragon which inspired it. Woven ‘webbing’, strictly decorative, is draped from side to side of the pipe gallery, and the pipes themselves glint with the golden glow of aurium.

You assume now, that the elves of the Northern Sarvonian continent have the same musical notation like the humans - a bit boring, don‘t you think so? Or did it come from there?

(hoping someone will be inspired to do a picture of this, as it’s truly the most marvellous musical instrument in Caelereth! )

* Chimes
* Lap Harp

*Bavonesta – a series of crystalline tubes or tall pure glass jars, filled with sea water in varying amounts so as to produce a clear, ringing tone when tapped with a driftwood striker. The frame which supports the tubes is almost always formed from patina bronze, and a sea motif is common – leaping dolphins, seaweeds, or shells – on the facing panel.

I love that instrument! There could exist some simpler made versions as well!

* Floor Harp

------------------------------------------------------------

Musical Pitch, Tuning, Scales, and Notation

{Tonlage, Tonstufe, Abstimmen, Tonleiter, Notenschrift}

Judy, for people not this versatile in music or not native speakers , you should explain shortly, what pitch, tuning , scales and so on is, otherwise some will stop reading here, or you end like our new language expert..

Pitch: In Santharia pitch is taken from the “Madman’s Voice”, a hand-sized device made of two identical metal wires stretched over a blocky square soundbox with a short neck and two heavy tuning pegs{Pflock, Dübel} at the top. The ‘Voice’ resembles a crude miniature lute; despite its apparent simplicity it must be made with absolute craftsmanship and sized with precision. The wood used is always Eur’oak, dried ten seasons and planed to a particular thickness, while the two wires, or strings, must be made from mithril of a specific length (and poured, cut and drawn in the same batch on the same day...)
I thought Mithril is not available anymore, so new ones can't be made, and the old ones are very precious?

The way in which pitch is determined is this: since mithril has a consistent breaking point under extremely high tension, the ‘Voice’ is cranked to its absolute limit. One string (nicknamed the ‘Bachelor’) is taken to trembling poise, {Gleichgewicht} the note plucked and heard, then set as ‘below true’ by the assembled musicians who are waiting for their pitch. The other string, or ‘Fishwife’, is then pulled to equal tautness and just beyond. Her note is heard and adjusted for, and then it is the ‘Bachelor’s’ turn again. In this rather nerve-wracking way the pitch slowly climbs to a shriek of pure silvery pain, and is ‘recorded’ by the listening soprano instruments – for the alto and tenor instruments a full pantheon (octave) below in range, while the basses simply wait. Eventually one of the strings, stretched to its complete limit, will snap wildly, with a plangent twang that has now become familiar to every New Santhalan audience member – that ‘madman’s shriek’ that signals the orchestra is almost ready to take its place upon the stage. At that point the note on the other string is deemed to be the highest achievable pitch, and the orchestra has its absolute – its ‘True Ey’ (the Terran high Doh, or three semitones above A440) – see below for a comparative list of note names).
Was this done like this in former times??

Of course, if the orchestra is fortunate enough to be performing in a space where one of the famous Resonance Organs resides, the smallest pipe will have been tuned to True Ey and the musicians may take their notes safely from it. As there are only seven of these instruments in existence so far, (four in New Santhala, one at the Féarn’teloría, one in Marcogg, and one in Bardavos) the Madman’s Voice is in no danger of becoming obsolete in the near future.
{tonleiter}
Scales: A full range of notes is called a ‘span’, or ‘pantheon’. There are twelve notes within the pantheon, each given a syllable that stands for one of the twelve deities of the Aviaria. Certain pitches{Ton?} are believed to have certain characteristics, and thus considered appropriate for the qualities of those deities. Thus each note name always has a consistent pitch associated with it, again, based on ‘True Ey’. The pitches are divided approximately equally into twelve notes or tones, from True Ey downwards to its mate one pantheon below. (equal temperament, in Terran nomenclature) Here they are given from Low Ey upward to Mid Ey.

Ey, Neh, Ba, Ah, Je, Ur, Eh, Os, Se, Goh, Fo, Que

The roots of this system of musical naming are also believed to have strong ties with the alchemical theories and philosophies developed in the early ages of Sarvonian history. Again, a chart is given below to assist in comprehension.

--------------Ignore this unformatted chart for now--------

Terran ‘Tonic Sol Fa’
Caelerethian ‘Pantheon’
Modern‘Reduced Pantheon’
Deity of Aviaria

C----- Doh--------Ey------------------Y-------Eyasha
cis--- ‘De’ / ‘Di’ ----Neh ‘nay’------------ N-------Nehtor

D----- Re---------Ba ‘baa’------------- B--------Baveras
dis---- ‘Ri’---------Ah ‘ahh’------------- A -------Arvins

E -----Mi---------Je ‘jay’--------------- J -------Jeyriall

F------Fa--------- Ur------------------U -------Urtengor

fis-----‘Fe’ / ‘Fi---- Eh ‘e’ as in ‘bed’-------E --------Etherus

G------S--------- ‘awes’------------O -------Armeros
gis-----‘Se’/ ‘Si’---- Se ‘say’--------------S -------Seyella

A------La--------- Goh ‘gaw’----------- G--------Grothar
ais-----‘Le’/ ‘Li’----- Fo ‘foe’------------- F------- Foiros

h------Ti----------Que ‘qway’ Q Queprur

The Kuglimz have different gods, so they won‘t use this notation

---------------------------------------------------

Since each pitch has its own name, music can be written – and read back - exactly like a sentence, using one syllable, or pantheon name, to represent each note. The length of the note is shown by a ‘breathbar’, or horizontal line which extends through the syllable. Chords are represented by stacking the breathbars with their associated syllable. An example of this musical notation is shown in the parchment below.

Maybe you don‘t put the line through the syllables, but underline it, with an little hook upwards at each end? Or this could be a variation used elsewhere? Or this hooks could go up and down as well, showing , if there is a slur between the notes or not? How would you mention „p, f .sfz and all this nice pointers ? However, not all has to be fixed like this. otherwise it gets very a restrictive music, and middle-aged music - and even later(Bach) - was far away from determining how a piece should be played.

----------missing graphic------------------

More recently a style among younger bards has become popularised which simplifies the syllables of the pantheon down to one character each, struck through with the appropriate breathbar length. The main appeal of this style of musical notation is its speed in composition; for the singer or musician interpreting the piece, the old familiar system must be relearnt and translated as they go. Nonetheless, it is gaining in popularity and there are those who predict that it will completely replace the old ‘scribed’ pantheon. An example is given below, in the hand of Lucirina of Bardavos.

-------------------missing graphic ------------------------

A nice beginning, could be expanded though to add articulation to the pieces and what not.
I thought about using syllables instead of „notes“ as well, it is not a new idea (there area few examples on the net, the small letteral notation of the shakers, or the old Indian one), but linking it to the gods was brilliant!

<p></p>
« Last Edit: 24 July 2007, 21:11:51 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2005, 02:28:00 »

I hope you didn't search for too long, for I have it as well - your original post and my first comment. Any need to repost anything? Think not.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2005, 10:14:00 »

Not if your version matches mine!  What I'll do next is go through and make whatever changes and additions I can remember, and incorporate whichever of your old suggestions we had agreed on.  

Then if you could have a look again and see if there's anything else to add/modify, and we can agree on how to divide or reorganize the entry.   I'll also send the 'missing graphics' to Art with a request to post them here so we can see the two styles of notation, ok?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2006, 20:34:00 »

Moving up to the top for Dagon's benefit....

Dagon Fai Ur
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2006, 22:23:00 »

This is awesome... confusing, but awesome. I think I'm going to have to just go with the instruments themselves - not going to touch this system of musical notation, or pitches or anything like that. I never really got into music theory (taught myself to play guitar... probably hurt me in the long run because I have no real structure) :b

:thumbup  *thinking of medieval name for Guitar*

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2006, 22:27:00 »

'Gitar', wasn't it?    Or 'Gitarre'?   Sounds convincing, at any rate... :P

That's ok - Talia and I are going to thrash out that notation and the associated history involved one of these days.  Our discussion got lost in the crash, but I think our Shendarmistress has good notes - and at the very least, a good memory!

Anything associated with this proposal that you care to help with will be gratefully and eagerly accepted.  It will indubitably encourage me to get back into creating entries, at the very least.

Hugs,
Judith

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2006, 13:18:00 »

Excellent! Just what I needed for my Naming entry!

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Rhapsody Mythlinis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2006, 14:37:00 »

Perhaps I could persuade you in aiding in this aspect of development. I myself am a musician of sorts - having played numerous instruments over the years.

I guess you could say it is a passion of mine, along with writing.

:broadgrin  

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2006, 14:49:00 »

Hey, wow - looks like we've got the nucleus of a great musical team here!  This will definitely encourage me to make this poor languishing submission into a full-fledged and proper entry...

Feel free to grab something and start pitching in, people!  Let me know what you'd like to do, either in this thread or in my bell-ring.  

Looking forwards to seeing what happens,
Judith

Dagon Fai Ur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2006, 18:04:00 »

I should have a completed version of the guitar up tonight. The "medieval" name is going to be simply Gitarre (pronounced guitar). Of course there will be variations to the guitar such as lute, mandolin, and the various bow/string instruments :)  Simply thought I should start with the instrument that I actually own :b  

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Dagon Fai Ur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2006, 20:09:00 »

I'm sorry. Pushing back my Gitarre entry to tomorrow... lacking energy to put together something that I'll actually be proud of. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow night... work all day *sigh*

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Dagon Fai Ur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2006, 18:23:00 »

Here's most of it. I will develop a history of the gitarre as well as a more detailed description and comparison between the variations... I hope this is what you wanted...

Overview
The Gitarre is a stringed instrument common throughout Sarvonia. It is part of the stringed family which includes Lutes, Violins, and Mandolins. There are a number of variations of the Gitarre but all consist of six strings. Popular variations include the “Metal” Gitarre, named for it’s use of metallic strings and the most common Gitarre is the simple Classical Gitarre, which is the basis of all Gitarre variations.

Description
A Gitarre usually ranges to about 1 ped in length from the base to the head where six knobs are positioned to allow the strings to be tightened or loosened depending on the natural tone that the musician hopes the gitarre to have. The neck connects the base of the gitarre to the head, and strings extend from the knobs of the head down to what is known as the bridge. The bridge is where the strings are fastened in to maintain the tension of the strings, allowing sound to be created.

Many features on a gitarre are optional, one of these is frets. These are ridges positioned across the neck of the gitarre showing where a transition in pitch occurs. Moving one’s hand down the neck, towards the base makes the pitch ascend while moving one’s hand towards the head of the gitarre lowers the pitch of the sound. However, many gitarres can be “fretless”. This is suggested for more skilled musicians who can judge the pitch changes with experience.

Under the strings, just beside the bridge is a hole that opens up inside the gitarre. The base of the gitarre is actually hollow, when the strings are plucked or strummed, the strings vibrate and the sound travels into the hollowed body of the gitarre, amplifying the sound.

The construction of the gitarre is purely wood with the strings coming in a variety of materials depending on the sound that the musician hopes to achieve. Classical gitarres are outfitted with strings made of the intestines of various animals. Newer variations of the gitarre, mainly the “metal” gitarre are outfitted with metallic strings that provide a metallic sound.

Usage
The gitarre is an instrument used often to create a rhythm for singing or more melodic instruments. However, many modern musicians have begun to adapt new styles of playing the gitarre that have allowed it to become much more than a rhythmic instrument. The gitarre is now used in a very melodic or harmonius way.

There are various ways to actually play a guitar. The most classical method is my finger plucking the strings where each note is created by striking a finger against one of the six strings of the gitarre. Strumming has now become a very popular method of playing gitarre. This has allowed the development of complex chords that give more body to the sound of the gitarre, utilizing all six strings in one sweep of the hand.

With the gitarre becoming a more melodic instrument, small hand-held instruments have begun to be used to allow plucking to be done with more efficiency. The item in question is a plectrum which is a small piece of material that is about as large as 2 nailsbreadths. The material can be relatively anything, although very smooth wood has become a popular choice.

History
Still to come…

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2006, 18:32:00 »

Dagon, nice start! But please post it in an extra thread.

Next step - santharise it. Don't just describe a contemporan guitarre, maybe give the bridge another name, vary the number of strings..
I don't know, if the dwarves know how to do such fine metal strings already.. do some alterations for the north and south,,etc

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Dagon Fai Ur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2006, 20:44:00 »

I thought about posting it in an extra thread actually... *doh* I will repost it in it's own thread then :)

Also, regarding the variations in strings and names of pieces on the guitar. I will try and think of some different names for them... as for strings... in RL guitars vary in strings... 6-strings, 7-strings, 12-strings and I believe there is more... I want to say 14-strings... but I'm not sure. Either way, I will include the variations of the guitars in a seperate section. Still, I would like to keep the traditional *normal* guitar to have six strings.

I will try and find an alternative for metal strings... or possibly think of a way that it could be done...

-*Dagon Fai'Ur*-

Forgotten One
Reborn in the Light

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2006, 19:39:00 »

This is looking very cool!  

Here's a bit of brainstorming on my part - take what you like!

a) 'Guttares' - as they are known in the north - which use intestines or sinews as strings

b)  'Gittares' strung with metal.  Wire is actually fairly easy to produce - much more so than fine clock cogwheels, say -  so our dwarves would have no difficulty providing instrument strings for various applications.  This should be mentioned - probably the Mitharims' department!  

c)  'Gittares' strung with the tail hairs of some large beast (either search the compendium or make up a herbivore grazer just for the purpose! :)  )  

Also, I'd like to have mention of a famous luthier in Bardavos and a renowned gnomish gittare workshop in Lorehaven (though it's not explicit in the entry, there are many artisans in the town and it would be a natural link in the trade chain between Bardavos and New Santhala).  

Glad to have such a talent on the Music design team, Dagon!
BTW, would you prefer to be referred to as 'he' or 'she'? (the bard asks tactfully)  And do you currently have a mentor? (eyes light up hopefully...)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]