Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Drape-silk Spider  (Read 8511 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2006, 04:13:00 »

*sounds horrific*  :speechless

Good it's over and you settle in again!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Stormraven

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2006, 22:49:00 »

Ok. I fixed most of the items that Artimidor pointed out and added a few things. I did not go into much detail about the black market nature of the spider venom because I felt that should be handled by the creators of various races that may be involved. But I agree that it opens up a whole level of crime that could make for interesting roleplaying. I also see a bit of corrolation possible between the abuse of the venom and the abuse of modern day prescription drugs. We may want to have laws in some regions making the possesion or use of the poison a crime.

PS Thanks Talia, It is good to be getting back to a semblance of normalcy.

Not all who Wander are Lost J.R.R. Tolkien
Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2006, 23:00:00 »

I will fix the colors this weekend

Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2006, 10:33:00 »

All right, the colors have been fixed with ithild and barad dusk and I think that covers it...Awaiting moderator comments

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2006, 12:47:00 »

Nice to see you officially back, Stormraven:)  I see the entry was started at the beginning of February, so it took some time, but from what I read now, the entry looks very good. A typo, problematic sentence part here and there, but nothing which cannot easily be fixed upon integration. I guess this one can indeed be marked without much ado to be put on the site, so I'll do that right now;)  Spiders are always interesting creepy things to put in dark places...

Micro adjustments:

- Who precisely is "Seldranis Mor'cal"? Maybe a short note on that would be good.
- Goltherion: It's still the "Goltherlon"...

At any rate: The entry has been worth the long wait, and I hope things are settling down now for you so that we see some more entries coming from you! :thumbup  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2006, 13:23:00 »

Thank you very much Artimidor. It has been a long journey but a fun one and I look forward to many more. *does a little happy dance* Now I will go to full time on the poisons list that I have been working on.  

Lionhorse
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 December 2009, 05:51:36 »

Hmmm.... looks like a very interesting entry. grin thumbup

Stormraven, there are some things which caught my eye:
1.) In special abilities there is said that the venom of this spider can be used for treating wounds. What kind of wounds? Deadly? Wounds caused by the bite of poisonous beast or creature? Simple, cut wounds? And how exactly the wound should be treated, using this venom? Should I dissolve the venom in somekind solvent like a water, an oil or a like? Or I should just pour the venom upon the wound (that would be very suicidal act, I think)? That would be interesting addition!!!
2.)
They defend their territories fiercely and have been known to attack those disturbing their catch webs.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 December 2009, 09:37:26 »

barad dusk = barsa dusk ?

Colours and Hues of Caelereth

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2009, 10:46:41 »

Lionhorse- Injecting some of the venom would cause the numbing state that I talk about in the desciption of the encounter. It would help keep the subject calm as less pain generaly means less thrashing and moving. It could even become addictive like modern morphine

Rayne Avalotus- I would fix the colors but this was done about three years ago and is already finished. I guess I could bell ring Arti and see if he wanted to go in and change it.
ps thanks for reopening the tavern, should be a blast

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 12 December 2009, 12:02:10 »

Heya Storm! I figured I would help to make things easy for you and Arti with the coding. I have had to do a lot code alterations on the RPG board, so I have become a bit of a pro at this. How I will have it setup, you should just be able to remove the spaces and it edit the post. thumbup

Now, it should be fairly easy to run a spellcheck and grammatical check on this piece :D

[ color=green]Basic Overview[/color]
The Santharian Drape-Silk Spider
[ color=yellow]Drape-silk spiders are large,nearly half a palmspan or more. Their fuzzy bodies are a mottled mix of Ithild and barad dusk. They live deep in the heavy woods across southern Sarvonia. They are known for producing a web that is useful as a bandage, and their venom is useful for numbing pain.[/color]

[ color=green]Appearance[/color]
The Drape-silk is a large arachnid growing to a little over a half a palmspan in size. [ color=yellow]They are Ithild in color with mottled spots that are a slightly darker shade of barad dusk.[/color]

[ color=yellow]Eight rear limbs are, proportionly thicker than on most spiders, roughly a nailsbredth. The legs are only five or six nailsbredth in length while the front legs are thinner, roughly half a nailsbredth, and longer, eight to ten nailsbreadth in length.[/color]

The front legs are pointed and sharp along the inside like small blades for use in cutting the webs. These longer front legs give the [ color=yellow]Drape-Silk[/color] a strange stance while walking, elevating the front of the body. This gives the spider a better view of its surroundings when moving allowing it to better detect predators.

Unlike most spiders the Drape-silk has ten eyes and legs The eyes are situated in an hourglass pattern with two larger eyes to the outside of the middle. The two larger eyes are designed to detect movement while the others are meant to give the spider a full view of its surroundings.

When prey gets caught in the snare the spider moves in quickly injecting its victim with its paralitic poison. The poison has a rapid onset, paralyzing the spiders prey within a half a minute.

However, when the spider bites a humanoid, a rare occurence due to their fairly solitary nature, the venom produces a euphoric state similar to drunkeness. It also causes a general numbing of the subject and has been found to be benificial in the treatment of wounds.

When prey is caught in the web the spider uses its front legs to slice a circle out of the web then uses the circle like a bag to transport its prey back to its lair or nest where it consumes its prey at its own leisure.

[ color=green]Special Abilities[/color]
The spider has a venom that paralyzes its prey without killing it keeping it alive for feeding and maintaining freshness. In addition the venom has beneficial uses for treating wounds

[ color=yellow]The tightly woven webs that hang like sheets or drapes, have given rise to the common name of the Drape-Silk. The spiders generally suspend their webs between branches of trees to snare small birds and other flying creatures[/color]

[ color=green]Territory[/color]
[ color=yellow]The Drape-silk  resides in heavily wooded areas across the southern half of the Sarvonian continent. Their unique webs hang thickly in the forests[/color] of northern Sanguia, Southern Vardynn and through most of the forests of Enthronia and Xaramon. They have also been found as far north as the Calamarios forest in Nermeran and as far south as the Sharadon forest in Brendolan.

[ color=green]Habitat/Behavior[/color]
These spiders are solitary and maintain large amounts of territory, up to three or four dash in radius from its central lair. [ color=yellow]They defend their territries fiercely and have been known to attack those disturbing their catch webs. While most creatures larger than an Elfcat are not paralyzed by the poison of the Drape-Silk a bite can still be dangerous due to the numbing effect. This numbing can cause other injuries to go unnoticed for long periods of time wich can lead to sickness and death in animals. This has an advantage as well by attracting insects and other things to the area that may become trapped in a catch web and thus become a meal for the Drape-Silk.[/color]

They tend to build their catch webs shortly before dawn and an hour or so before dusk. It is shortly after dusk and dawn that are the best times to harvest the webs They will build anywhere from five to ten catch webs in their territory and will travel between them to check them for prey.

The nest of the Drape-silk is usually found in a hollow of a tree. The nest, [ color=yellow]heavilly covered in silk[/color], is then covered by layers of leaves around the opening to help prevent rain from getting in. The interior is covered several nailsbreadth thick in silk.

[ color=green]Diet[/color]
[ color=yellow]The Drape-silk usually feeds mostly on insects such as the Red Diamond butterfly and the Golden Seean. However they have been known to feed on small mammals and birds such as the Kuatu or Quirrl and the Aelirel bird.[/color]

[ color=green]Mating Habits[/color]
The spiders mating habits are interesting to watch. When the males find a female they perform a series of strange dance like movements while slowly circling the female.

The dance is a spiral that slowly leads them closer to the female over the period of a half hour or so. Once close enough the male slowly extends his front legs and uses them to caress the female while still circling. Upon spiraling closer he uses his fangs to caress those of the female. The mating then occurs.

Afterward the female and male depart back to their own territories and the female lays her eggs in her lair. It takes two weeks, give or take a couple of days for the eggs to hatch. During this time the female stocks a fair amount of food.

Anywhere from thirty to fifty spiders are born from the egg sack. Roughly ten percent are slain by their brethren the remaining ninety percent eat what food is available then fashion small bags that they use to catch the wind and glide to new locations. Another thirty to forty percent are caught during this flight and eaten by birds and such. This insures a survival rate of fifty to sixty percent.

[ color=green]Usages[/color]
[ color=yellow]The webs of the Drape-Silk are long and thick, a rather lovely shade of i similar to the spiders themselves. Like the hide of the Mithral wolf. Their thickness and shape makes them excellent for use as bandages. In addition they easilly break down over time this allows them to be used to bind wounds without having to worry about removing them.[/color] When exposed to liquids the web begins to breakdown and completely dissolves within four or five days.

The spider is also captured and raised by some healers for its venom. The venom has an effect similar to strong drink but with the added benefit of numbness(see journal entry below for a detailed description of the effect in a human). [ color=yellow]However the effect of the poison has been discovered by others and is sometimes used and abused like heavy spirits. It can also be used as a sort of truth serum because of the euphoria it creates. This has led to a market for the venom. This market is closely controlled by the Goltherion elves.[/color]

[ i]Excerpt from the journal of Seldranis Mor'cal

During recent travels through Santharia, more specifically the forest of [ color=yellow]Goltherion[/color] in Vardynn, I came across a most interesting spider. While the web of the spider is interesting in that it is long and wide and generally thick enough to be used as a bandaged I was amazed at the effect of the Spiders venom.

I had been wandering the forest looking for unusual things when I first saw the spider. It had just captured a small bird in one of its webs and was moving it. Having never actually seen the Drape-silk spider before, I moved closer to get a better view of the spider and noticed it was rather pretty in shade and shape. It reminded me of a Mithral Wolf in color [ color=yellow]with barad dus[/color]k spots. However when I touched it it got upset and bit me.

A few minutes after the bite I started to feel very happy, like I had drunk a few tankards of good ale. A few minutes later I started having trouble with my vision, things kept going in and out of focus and when I would close my eyes I would see vibrant colors and images. Shortly after this, I am not sure how long because time began to seem to slow down, I discovered that I could not feel anything. To test this I poked and slapped myself, I even took my small eating blade and poked my finger. While it bled I could feel nothing. This effect lasted for several hours and I was fourtunate to have made it back to my camp before the efects had fully set in. I estimate that at least eight or nine hours passed of which I remember very little.[/i]  

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 December 2009, 14:12:41 »

Ok...Fixed the barad dusk to barsa dusk corrected all the other spelling and punctuation problems so this is fully revised...Now what do I do with it?

PS Thankyou very much for your help Kalina It made the revision a breeze. I am very appreciative.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 13 December 2009, 12:32:17 »

Heya Storm! I am back, but with some more in-depth comments this time around. All will be in a wonderful blue shade.

Basic Overview-
The Santharian Drape-Silk Spider
Drape-silk spiders are large, nearly half a palmspan or more. [I would perhaps  jump into the overview with something other than mentioning their size right off the bat.] Their fuzzy bodies are a mottled mix of ithild and barsa dusk. They live deep in the heavy woods across southern Sarvonia. They are known for producing a web that is useful as a bandage, and their venom is useful for numbing pain.

Ok, a little tip with overviews. They shouldn't simply be a copy and paste collage from various parts of the entry. It should be a bit more vague, but informative. Something to peek the interest of the reader into reading the rest of the piece. If you give everyone the big stuff up front, there isn't a need to read the rest of the entry in detail. Don't give us everything and give it a bit of mystery.  ;)

Also, don't be afraid to mix up your sentences a bit. Don't always start your sentences with a pronoun, and the same pronoun none-the-less repeatedly in a row. Often, they can be dropped and sentences combined to add a bit more variety to what we are reading. Making it all the same will put us into auto-pilot quickly, and we won't pay attention to the wonderful little details you add :D

And, after some consideration, I am going to stop here. Why? Because I feel much of which I just mentioned, would be repeated throughout the entry.

I would personally love to see this fleshed out beyond the bare essentials and given some extra little details which would really make it pop beyond just existing. Find different ways of saying the same things, and building on those to help give everyone a real inside perspective on the creature. I do not mean it has to be a novel, or one of Rayne's seemingly effortless beauties, but give it something special.

:)

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 December 2009, 01:13:28 »

So...Something more like this
A strange, large spider that lives deep in the heavy woods of southern Sarvonia. It is known for its unique web as well as the unusual effects of its potent venom.

Well scratch the fully revised comment. I am going to do more work on this.

Again thankyou Kalina your input is, as always, appreciated here.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2009, 01:16:15 by Stormraven » Logged

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 14 December 2009, 02:38:42 »

It is much better. I wouldn't forget to color changes made, and let me know if there is anything specific I can help with.

I will keep popping by ^.^

Stormraven

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 December 2009, 11:20:15 »

I am having a problem with the editing. each time I have to scroll down as soon as I start to type or highlight something it bounces back to the top of the page window that I am typing in. Has anyone else expierienced this and how do I fix it?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]