Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: general brainstorming concerning Dragons and Magic  (Read 10819 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 08 November 2001, 16:03:00 »

This just a number of ideas and thoughts about magic again! You must not agree and it is for further discussion on this topic! :)

I was just wondering that the most powerful magical spells are in dragon tongue which is considered "the" magic language.

That sounds to me as if this language is connected with great power and that dragons are somewhat more than animals.
I don't know what their cosmological origin was meant to be but I think that they need something special to connect them with magic.

AFAIK the Xeua, this strange connection is not the origin of any species. I'm not sure if it fits completely but the great Drakes seem to me like very supernatural beings so a status higher than that of other beings would be perfectly fitting and eventually explain their various subspecies (Frost-, Horndragon,...).

Also this would make it explainable why this language is seen as a very powerful magical tool...

And Mages as well as Weavers are supposed to influence the Xeua in various ways.

Ok, now the weird part! :)

Interesting would be in my opinion if there are other "magical languages" dedicated to the four main races which are aligned to certain elements. Humans to water with various spells influencing the weather (including lightening and such), elves to air with many healing and spiritual spells, dwarves to Earth with many spells to be cast on items or to influence the ground and Orcs to fire with mostly destructive spells.

Eventually this would explain the distinction between Major and minor races as well. Minor races don't have as powerful magic as they are not part of any element, but would they would have more variations of magical spells.

This could also mean that the different races are somehow limited to their elementary magic and can only use other magic by speaking in one of the other languages or better to limit the access even more only with the dragon language.

IMO it would be an interesting approach to link magic to
elements and so to its various races and to certain languages.
And to Make the dragon magic to be a connection of all elements and hence very powerful.
This would, of course need a cosmological reason why the dragons are special. (some kind of semigods guarding the dream?)

Ok, enough brainstorming! Have fun finding sense in the non-sense!! :)

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2001, 17:56:00 »

Magic: Alright, a few problems. Do Orcs have the patience to learn to cast magic? Also, noone wants a particular magic banned to a specific race. What if (Brainstorming beginning) Each race had merely an aptitude for their spells, and they alone could reach the highest levels of their specialty. For example, a human may be a Fire Mage, but best spells may lie in such nasty effects as a firestorm, where instead of rain, streaks of flame fall from above. That, and any equal-powered Human Water mage could probably whup him.
Also, adding the skills of Light and Dark...Dang, gotta run. Seriously, 2 miles. More shortly.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2001, 21:28:00 »

Dragons come from the burning leaves of the tree of life......

I also am not sure if I like certain magics being connected to certain races....or not available to the "minor" races.

minor is refering to geopolitical importance. Humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs are everywhere and influence everything. Brownies, lizard people, fairies are limited in range and/or influence. With built-in limitations we are already working with, don't ban us from powerful majick as well!

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2001, 01:37:00 »

I'm writing about human magic in a very general way in my stories and hope that no-one notices the vague-ness! :b  

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2001, 08:28:00 »

I agree with Greybark let's not limit the "minor races" from having magic. However I do like the concept Koldar has come up with in other ways. And Dala the vaugness of human magic is still something I'm grasping with also. So don't feel alone.

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2001, 11:14:00 »

Well, to answer the question if Orcs could learn magic. Maybe that's why they can only do destructive spells. They can only force their magic, because of their lack of concentration. While elves can do very complex manipulations of magic to heal people and such. So even if an Orc wanted to cast anything else but a destructive spell, it wouldn't matter learning the language, because it doesn't have the concentration for it.

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2001, 17:04:00 »

I just try to find an explanation for the power of the dragon tongue! :)

Limiting to races was not my idea but that certain ways of magic are dediacted to certain races. The other races have to "force" these ways of magic which is more exhausting for them as for example dwarves "live" in the element of Earth and would have less difficulties learning&casting these spells.

And why should Orcs not cast magic?! Their mages might be fewer and their magic more "rough" but I see no reason why they shouldn't.

The idea with the 'minor' races means more the cosmological origin (gnomes are not "purely" earth).
The main races are dediacted to _one_ element each.
That might make their magic more varied but not as forceful.

Just trying to get a cosmological concept here.

Here an idea about priests:
The priests may call their gods for "blessing" that enhance their skills, either strength, endurence, farsight...
Some of these blessings might be  lasting, others temporaly "gifts". Also to gain such temporally gifts or blessing the priest has to please the God so timeconsuming ceremonies might be neccessary for "blessings" and "gifts" take some luck as the God might not listen at this moment.
This would make the priests more "worldbased" other than the mages.

Just think that this topic is getting more important and I try to find a solution which fits to everything already up. Hope you're not too stressed! ;)

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2001, 23:06:00 »

Your Priest ideas mirror mine, Koldar. I agree with you, but you're forgetting the cleric's offensive weapon, Cursing. I belive I've got some ideas back from when I first joined *rummages around in the back of his head* Ahh... I'll find 'em and post 'em.
I belive I was on the subject of the three neglected elements?
Light, Dark, and Mind each play a large role, but are largely ignored. I confess these three and their applications intrigue me more than any of the original 4.
Light: Duh, manipulates light and energies. These would probably have the best lightning and teleportation spells, and since they can also manipulate the magical energies of others, they could also fulfill my little idea of Meta/Archmagi.
Dark: Shadows to form, form to shadows, Nightwisting, fear-inducing, and necromancy are but a few of the powers of the Night as I see it. Fairly interesting, but come the sun, the powers of darkness mostly slip away.
Mind: Raw mental power, including telepathy, mind-control, psychic blasts, illusion, telekinesis, and astral projection are the hallmark of Mental Magi, whose powers against their brethren are quite...interesting.
And last, on the subject of Minor Races: They forfeit any real race-specific enhancements, but from what I've seen, all of 'em have their own natural ones. (Brownie Lifemagic, Psyrpent mentalism, Ogrish/Trollish/Gorban hugeness...etc.)
I agree with the Orc-mage ideas.
Last, on the subject of Clerics. All of the gods can't be the True Creators, but they apparently have the ability to grant clerical prayers. Answer? If Master Art hasn't given us an explanation, here's my take. As Ava gave all in Her Dream of Dreams power, so their beliefs have power. If enough people believe in a certain God or group of Gods, their faith gives them power and being. As the vast majority of the Sarvonian population believes in the First Fourteen, they accordingly have the most power, and keep some in reserve should faith dwindle. (I.E the whole Fav'al'car thing)
Well, that's a good long piece of my mind. *plop* Dang, it fell out..... *scurryscurrysnatch* And STAY THERE! Geez...stupid unhinged brain... wait a second... *degenerates into incoherent mumbling*

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2001, 01:47:00 »

"And last, on the subject of Minor Races: They forfeit any real race-specific enhancements, but from what I've seen, all of 'em have their own natural ones. (Brownie Lifemagic, Psyrpent mentalism, Ogrish/Trollish/Gorban hugeness...etc.)"

...Sounds good to me! As long as each of the races, major or minor, *keep* the enhancements they've been given rather than having them usurped by all the other races whenever anyone feels like it.....

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2001, 04:32:00 »

Xarl, you read the books of David Eddings? He explains the power of the gods in exactly that way. It was even that worse, that if a god lost all it's believes it became totally powerless. But if all Santharia people would start to (suddenly) believe in a whole new god, would it start to exist, because so many people believe in it?

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2001, 06:50:00 »

Cursing is good! Main idea behind blessing and cursing is that you have to do it according to the God's wishes as he otherwise wouldn't grant them.

The idea of gods being incarantions of the people's belief is widespread among fantasy, I think. I see nothing against it and it sounds somehow logical (but also complicate!)
BTW: There are only twelve Gods, noone worships Ava(except the Elves) because she's the dreaming god that created the world not one being part of it.
Similar thing is Coór. These two are not part of the world but influence it from the outside.(correct me Artimidor, if I'm wrong)

That makes it difficult to add the three elements dark, light and mind. But I think dark is Coór and light is Avá so I would think that the use of magic the way Coór would want it can be described as dark magic, the other way around light.
I would make more a morally thing out of it not a real difference. Otherwise it might be too usual as any Fantasy books make Necromancers the dark mages, not Earth mages that use their powers in a similar way.

Mind magic might be magic dedicated to the Xeuá, the matter that connects all elements. I'd like to fit the dragon tongue here somehow as mind magic would be then very powerful.

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2001, 08:20:00 »

Hmmmz, I made a list of short descriptions of mages a while ago and sent it to Art. Let's see if I can find it. I'll post it here when I do.;)  

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2001, 10:46:00 »

I may have missed something, but I believe that Ava is something of a supergod, whose power is not dependent on belief, and Coor is (P.S) also worshipped or acknowledged by the mainstream human population. A sibling wants the computer, so I'll finish my dissertation later.

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2001, 12:14:00 »

Coor and Ava are elven beliefs. In fact most of the gods and goddess are. There are some humans who do believe in those gods and goddess only because of close relations with the elves. Most of the human tribes have gods or goddesses but they have different names for them and different purposes. But as far as dragons are concerned. They were the first leaves that fell of the burning tree of life and became almost immortal because of that. The inherent magic that comes from the tree, Xeua, resides in them just like the elves. I believe that the only creation stronger in the Xeua magic would be the light elves. Specifically the High Av'avraan.

Of course if I'm wrong then Wren or Art will tell me. Or someone else for that matter.;)  

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2001, 15:35:00 »

As Capher already pointed out, Avá is not a God but an even higher being (reference would be Greek mythology. The Gods were born by even older creature there as well. Think Gaia and.. don't know the male one). Coór is the part of the dream she had not foreseen and thus is also independant from the world.

I'd say that dragons are the most powerful beings in Xeua magic but they don't study it as deep as the Lightelves would do. They keep many of their power untouched while the Elves digged deeper and deeper into it.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]