Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Magic List  (Read 10306 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 21 September 2001, 20:23:00 »

Yes, I know it's an ambitious project, but I plan to list a fair quantity of spells in here. Others are welcome to place spells here, but of course Artimidor, Drogo, and those others in charge can veto any and everything here. Anyway, some tentative guidelines. You have to have a description of the spell & what it does. How powerful it is, the length of its range & duration are also (preferably) included. Also, the spell's class. Classes: Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Mental, Metal, and Meta. Subclasses: Support, Summon, Attack.

Example: Meta Support Spell: Null Magic. In a about 60 foot radius from the caster, all spell activity is canceled until the caster halts the spell or is disrupted. (Alternativeley, a caster can null a specific spell for much less of a toll on their bodies.) After a normal cast, the caster cannot cast again for a full day.

Also: Mental Attack Spell: Mindlash. At a range of about 30 feet, the caster can deal a powerful psychic blow to an enemy, rendering them incapable of action for a good 15-40 seconds. This spell can be cast about eight times in one day.

Last: All-Elemental Summon Spell: Quick Golem. Forms a human-sized golem out of the surrounding elements that lacks intelligence, and obeys the caster without question. It takes 1 minute to form Should the caster actively cease the spell or pay no attention to it for 5 minutes, the golem will return to its original form.  

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2001, 21:32:00 »

seems to me to be more of a job for nate.....

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2001, 13:05:00 »

Well, I have to discuss this with Nate also, but in general we should elaborate magic spells in any case. This is long overdue. How much of it can be realized in the game is another question.

But here are some things I'd like to mention in this respect:

1.) Everything should be as unique as can be! No copies from other RPGs. We can have similar spells, but no spells taken directly from others.

2.) We need a main concept. E.g. the differences between elven and human, brownie and dwarven magic etc. Elves concentrate on elemental magic plus Xeuá magic (spirit). Humans can have different "schools" and players can perhaps expand their repertoire (we can have even more schols at humans, while Brownies stick to their seven). Elves could start with all five magics (wind, earth, water, fire, xeuá) and thus be more powerful, than humans, but humans could in the end learn more different kinds of magics e.g. If you would be willing to work out mor details on such a system (Compendium entry on human magics for example), this would surely help the Santharian cause. We should also somehow discern between a priest's and a mage's spell.

3.) Descriptions should be longer! We should describe how magics are cast as well as the effects in more detail, even if we possibly can't realize this in the game probably. We're targeting for depth in our world design.

4.) We also need a system on how to describe each spell. I propose to use a similar system like AD&D used. Each spell description would need to cover the following things:
Action (e.g. will wound target 2-24 hitpoints plus a description of a component which will affect it's success), Range, Range of Activity/Affection (hmmm... guess there's a better English word for this), Duration, Target, Chance of Escape, Description, perhaps some History on the spell etc. (maybe you have additional ideas). If we have such a scheme I guess this could be very helpful.

5.) We need to categorize spells into levels.

6.) We need LOTS of spells (>300) in the end. At least this should be our goal.

7.) We'd need symbols for spells. If you can draw such symbols we would need ideas on how they should look.

If you still like to work on Santharian magics I'd be glad to have you with us;)

BTW: I propose that you register at the Forum, Xarl (Global Account)!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2001, 20:40:00 »

I'm trying not to make the spells too specific, because that way the player has a way to alter the spell. Also, I'd like to let others throw in their 2 cents. Anyhoo, another few spells, making up the climb up one side of the Energy spell tree.
Notes: Only 2 Level 7 spells can be learned per element, EVER! These are VERY powerful and can mess up a story incredibly. Only 1 Level 8 spell can ever be learned, for the same reason. There is only 1 per element, and they can only be cast once every five years, for they tax the powers of the gods themselves.

Telekinesis: Level 1 Energy Variable Spell. When cast, the caster can apply a magical force to anything within 20 feet. Child Spells: Teleport, Levitate (later)

Teleport(self): Level 2 Energy Support Spell. When cast, the caster becomes energy and can travel for 1 millisecond (1000th of a second) before regaining physical form. Child spells: Teleport(others)

Teleport(others): Level 3 Energy Variable Spell. When cast, any one thing within sight range can be sent up to 1 mile away. Child Spells: Mass Teleport

Mass Teleport: Level 4 Energy Support Spell. When cast, all designated things within a 10-foot radius are teleported as in Teleport. Child Spells: Portal, Devastation.

Portal: Level 5 Energy Variable Spell. When cast, this spell rips a hole in the fabric of reality 5 feet in front of the caster, leading to wherever the caster designates. Should the caster's concentration falter, the portal will collapse. Child Spells: Void Beast, Chronomanipulation.

Devastation: Level 5 Energy Attack Spell. When cast, everything in a 10-foot radius within the caster's sight range is teleported to the Energy Plane and back, leaving a swath of barren desolation. Child Spells: Apocalypse, Ultimate Beam

Void Beast: Level 6 Energy Summon Spell. When cast, a creature formed of the Void emerges through a portal. Its touch draws enemies into its plane, utterly destroying them. The creature remains for up to five minutes. Child Spells: Archon

Chronomanipulation: Level 6 Energy Support Spell. When cast, the caster can jump his or another's personal time field forward, bacward, or halt it for 15 seconds. Only accessible to the strongest of magi. Child Spells: Erasure, Chronoportation

Apocalypse: Level 7 Energy Attack Spell. One of the most powerful spells in existence. When cast, a full mile-long radius of destruction emanates from the caster. Only cast before in the War of the Chosen. Child Spells: Archon

Erasure: Level 7 Energy Attack Spell. This spell may never have been used, and it may have, for this spell completely erases the target from time and all its effects. Child Spells: Archon

Chronoportation: Level 7 Energy Support Spell. This spell sends the caster back, forward, or freezes an enemy for up to 1 day. Exceedingly powerful.

Ultimate Beam: Level 7 Energy Support Spell. Converts a small amount of the area around the caster to energy, and then tosses it at an enemy. This spell can fell even the strongest of foes. Child Spells: Archon.

Archon: Level 8 Energy Summon Spell. This spell, if sucessful, summons one of the creatures from the Energy Plane and places it under a mortal's control. If not sucessful, the caster is turned on and destroyed. This creature can cast any Energy Spell, and as its attack turns its foes to energy and devours them. This beast, is perhaps even capable of slaying a legendary Adamant Dragon. It can stay in the mortal world for only two hours without an energy source, and is vulnerable to an archmage's Null Magic spell. That is its only weakness.

Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2001, 03:29:00 »

I think there should be Healing and Banish spells too. Healing: spells to heal small wounds and to enhance the effect of healing herbs. Banish: spells to dispel Undead/Spirits, so their spirit can finally go to the Underworld (do we have something like that?).
Also, their could maybe a extra list to the Bestiary, in which all Legendary/Magical creatures are stored. (creatures of which the existence is only known from tales and legends). We could also implement Necromancy, but I think that should have some severe side-effects, so it would only be used by men in desperate situations, or by evil magicians that don't care about side effects. (Possible side-effect: For every resurrected creature you need the live-blood of another creature, or something like that). But this is just an idea.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2001, 06:24:00 »

Oh, stupid me, I'd forgotten the Necromancer class. Spells may include: Soul Steal, Banish, and other nasty spells like that. And I like your idea for casting necromantic spells. The Wood/Life magic class will include healing, but the strongest healing is only available to clerics of Nehtor. Clerics of Baveras will have some healing skill, as will those of Arvins. Clerics of Foiros will have a minimal healing skill. Just a reminder, folks, I don't want to be the only spellmaker. WAY too long. Other people please suggest things too. I'm only suggesting to Artimidor & Co. my ideas, so join in!

P.S. We do have an underworld, it's near the bottom level of the Vortex or whatever.

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2001, 13:06:00 »

Well, you could also implement some sort of Religous spells. You know; the "ask the god to did and that" stuff. But there seems to be no god to ask in this world. The 12 are a little angry with eachother I believe and Avá isn't really present.
Theodorus

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2001, 14:57:00 »

Theodorus, I'm landing you with the Clerical spells. If you could create 6 spells unique to any specific god per god, I'd be much obliged. Folks, I will cooperate with requests for add-on spells, but if you want them done soon, you'll need 'em done yourself.

Edit add-on: WTF is up with the Level 2 Orcish Maurader thing on my ID?

Edited by: Xarl at: 9/23/01 1:46:09 am
Xenos Ravenbeack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2001, 19:31:00 »

hmmm rember we're using skill sets not classes so individual god clerics will need to be mutualy exclusive sets... anyway dont forget the R'unorian gods and such... maybe under one of the classes should be an interrupt spell that will disrutp another wizard in mid casting o r something

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2001, 00:50:00 »

Gee, that looks familiar. Don't copy the IoE system, now. Personally, I think there should be more than eight levels. That's a bit low. If there are to be nearly three hundred spells then it will be necessary. It would take thirty-some spells a level. But hey, whatever.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2001, 07:04:00 »

Tarq, these are only ideas. I'm creating some spells, others can insert their own. I'm figuring on there eventually being loads of Level 3-5 spells, and with a lot of choice for the 2 Level 7 spells.  

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2001, 09:17:00 »

Well, I'll try to come up with some clerical spells too. (Why in the world did you pick me, I've been here for only 1 week or so? Oh well, this is a really good opportunity to study the Santharian Gods). But I just read the post so you'll have to wait a while. I also had anohter idea. Concerning the spell levels. You said you wanted to make spells from level 1 to 8, I thought we could implement some 9 or 10 level spells, BUT those spells can only be cast be multiple wizards. Altough this might me a bit difficult to do in a RPG, but it could be one of the things explaining wizard orders. But as I said, it's just an idea.  

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2001, 10:40:00 »

Maybe there should just be ten levels. It wouldn't make much sense to have thirty level 7 and 8 spells when you can only get two from 7 and one from 8. Then, instead of 3-5, just load up 1-5 with more spells, then gradually taper the number down until getting to level 10. But hey, it's your project, that just made a bit more sense to me.

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2001, 10:52:00 »

Well, I haven't got the details yet. But here's a list with the religuos/clerical spells. All the gods have to same sort of spells, but each has a different result.

God's Blessing = protective spell
God's Healing = healing spell
God's Word = medium offensive spell
God's Wrath = destructive against one target
God's Rage  = very destructive, affects a whole area
God's Presence = creates a monster with the powers of the god

In the final add, I'll put the names of the various gods where the word God stands now (doh). I've put them in order of difficulty, but I haven't decided about the last two ones. Please tell me what you think of this, before I'm putting a whole night work in it.

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2001, 11:13:00 »

I've done it on the Gods of Wind. This should happen with the other Gods too. Please take a look.

Gods of Wind:

Grothar:

Grothar’s Blessing: Gives caster an anti-hostile-magic aura.
Grothar’s Healing: Creates a soft healing rain
Grothar’s Word: Creates a medium lightning bolt
Grothar’s Wrath: Target explodes because a wind starts to blow within him.
Grothar’s Rage: Creates a gigantic Thunderstorm Grothar’s Presence: Creates a giant with the ability to control the weather that obeys the caster.

Nehtor:

Nehtor’s Blessing: Makes caster impervious to harm.
Nehtor’s Healing: Gives caster a healing aura. So all the good people that are nearby get strengthened and healed, but all the bad guys get afraid and weak.
Nehtor’s Word: Poisons target
Nehtor’s Wrath: Kills target, because target gets infected with hundred different diseases.
Nehtor’s Rage: Causes a pestilence
Nehtor’s Presence = Creates a medium sized humanoid like creature with the same aura like the one from Nehtor’s healing, but much stronger. This creature also has the power to resurrect ONE person. If the creature is used to resurrect somebody, it disappears after the raise is complete.

Eyasha:

Eyasha’s Blessing: Gives the caster a very charismatic aura. So many creatures will join him/her and follow his/her orders.
Eyasha’s Healing: This spell doesn’t heal bodily wounds, but heals mental wounds caused by for example possession by evil spirits.
Eyasha’s Word: Disrupts target’s emotions
Eyasha’s Wrath: Creates a cloud of despair and terror under caster’s enemies.
Eyasha’s Rage: Fills caster’s enemies with visions of horror, often causing them to kill themselves.
Eyasha’s Presence: Creates an Angel like creature with the ability to turn Evil people into Good.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]