Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dark Magic/Void Magic  (Read 5108 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 09 December 2001, 15:33:00 »

I feel Dark Magic deserves a place by itself, being not truly a part of mainstream Santharian magic. Anyway.

Dark/Void Magic is a form of magic that uses the Void to the North of Sorren as it's main power source. As the Void's very nature corrupts the caster (being, as legends are whispered, the home of the Darkwinds) the users of this magic are frequently more evil than usual.
Dark Magic has several sub-fields, each with a varying risk of the Void subverting the caster.

Shadowmancy-The least corrupting of the Dark Magic fields, practicioners of this art can turn shadows to any possible use. Shadow cloaks, shadow weapons, shadow homes, practically anything! They can even travel through shadows in a novel form of teleportation. Shadowmancers are unique among the Dark Magi in that they retain a more neutral attitude regarding others, as without light there can be no shadows, and vice versa. As the Void is only tapped to create shadows, the chance of corruption is extremely low.

Spectromancy- Slightly higher on the scale of corruption, Spectromancy is a subfield of Clerical Necromancy that can be studied alone and with a much lower risk. It involves merely contacting spirits of the dead through either of the Voids, and only rarely summoning them. The main risk is summoning or contacting several of the more evil dead, and thus drawing Coor's attention. Also, Queprur has a hold on this field. Should the user disturb the balance of the dead, Queprur will instantly take possession of the caster's soul and send it straight to Coor. (Fine, you don't believe in him. He belives in you!)

Clerical Necromancy-Medium on the scale of corruption is Necromancy, also known as Greater Healing. This foul art was started by a Dark Elven healer, who discovered that using the power of Coor, he could supercede the hold of Queprur and bring the dead back to the realm of the living. This skill has been refined to the point where powerful necromancers can transform flesh, combine bodies of the dead and living, and even steal souls. The few good or neutral necromancers use their powers to temporarily bring back loved ones, correct physical deformities, and bring the creations of their dark brethren back to peace. The followers of Queprur see all users of this magic as blasphemers, and as such do their best to wipe out any necromancers that make themselves conspicuous.

Unmagic- (Both normal magic and clerical, in that normal magi have a nasty habit of becoming followers of Coor after using this.) The most corrupting of all the Black Arts, Unmagic directly draws on the powers of the Darkwinds. Unmagic spells all involve the manipulation of the essence of the Dark Void, a substance that is nothing, but hungers to destroy anything. Unmagic once used is invisible to all but the most powerful magi, and even then they can do almost nothing to destroy it. Unmagic will be visible to nonmagi only as it is first used, and devours substance from the air, water, or even earth that it goes through. Luckily for the inhabitants of Sorren, unmagic spells have a deadly effect on the caster. Unless the caster is one of the Dark One's Chosen, the magic will eventually devour its user, leaving behind only a puddle of a pure black, revolting substance to detroy the next who walks over that place.

Better?

Edited by: Xarl at: 12/21/01 10:48:21 pm
Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2001, 20:22:00 »

The only real problem I have with it is the presence of Coor in it, that makes it too Clerical. If it's the power created by a God, other tha Ava since she created everything, then it's a clerical thing. It could be magic drawn from the absence of light. I don't say shadow, even though it fits, since night is just the shadow created by the sun being on the other side of the planet, but more the fact that there is no light somewhere, if that makes any sense. Magic should just be grouped as Clerical and Wizardly (any non-clerical) if you ask me. I also already have a description of Necromancy, as well many magic fields. Just because something is 'evil' doesn't mean that it's any different from the other magics, yes, it most likely will turn the user 'evil', but it's still just like the other Wizardly magics. I'm still working on a Compendium entry for general magic, it's on the Magic List post. Check that out for more of my ideas.

The Top Three World Evils:1.Country Music2.Pop Music3.RIVERDANCE! AAHHH!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2001, 03:53:00 »

"Divination" / "Augury"  

(- there's another formal word which I think ends with '-ancy' as well, but I can't summon it to mind at the moment ....).

is another 'dark magic' which involves using death, albeit not human.  The mage cuts open a living animal and uses its entrails to foresee the future.  Sometimes also used as a way of creating loose 'mana' or 'energy' that the spellcaster can then steal for use in other conjurations.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2001, 22:11:00 »

Hmmmm..... It seems to me that these things would be better used as Clerical magic than Wizardly magic, with the exception of Necromancy. I'd appreciate it if you took that off, or changed it, as I already have a description up for it. Other than that, it would seem like good powers for followers of Coor. I also kinda have a problem with the city made of shadow thing, as I already have something similar to this, Delonaire, City Of Magic. It's basically the same thing, but with magic instead of shadow.

Tarquet Galbar, BeastMaster Of Santharia, He Who Rules The Animals.

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 12/10/01 4:19:11 am
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2001, 20:27:00 »

Well, where do you think the myth came from? Shadowmancy ain't exactly a popular art, ya know.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2001, 17:17:00 »

Problem, they didn't use Shadowmancy, and the City was only seen five times, long ago, and only devoted scholars would even know of the thing. Though it stays a strong myth among Weavers. Again, make the same request for removal of Necromancy, or maybe put some sort of spin on it, since these are going to be powers for the followers of Coor, and therefore Clerical magic, where as Necromancy is Wizardly magic.

And Judith, the other word is "Clairvoyancy".

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2001, 21:45:00 »

As I meant to say, the story of Delonaire must have in some tiny way leaked out (you were the one who said the whole "magic city* myth occured) and was twisted by some nightwalking Shadowmancer into the belief that it was actually a shadow fortress. Hey, you're wandering one of the many planes of magic, come across Delonaire's "imprint" in the Shadow Realm, and think one of your comrades has made himself a nice little retreat!

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2001, 22:11:00 »

Um, Xarl, it wouldn't leave any imprint. The spells that protect it are too powerful, and the Web in general keeps itself cloaked from -everything-. Only the Weavers are the ones that can access it, that's the point. It's one of those big, mystical, unexplainable type things.

And the myth of Delonaire didn't leak, only the fact that there is a magic city. That is generally known among magicians, kind of like an old wives tale, something to be scared of. The fact that it appeared five times is one of the parts that's been lost mostly to time, and the locations are only mapped in one book, which is in the possession of Tarquet Galbar.

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 12/21/01 4:14:41 am
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2001, 16:47:00 »

Fine, see what I care... sulk... fine, it's gone. *goes off to play with his pet emoticon :hat *

Xarl Bluestride

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]