Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Driving on... Eleven Staffs of Ximax  (Read 8451 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 15 January 2002, 22:42:00 »

The Eleven Staffs of Ximax are, if not the most powerful magical artifacts on Aer'ai'chan, the most notorious. The Eleven are all direct links to the magical stores of the Towers of Ximax, and have histories of equal magnitude. These staffs are the badges of office of the Archmagi, and it is through these that they wield the awe-inspiring energies that are the hallmark of the Lords of Ximax.

Staff of Ximax: The staff of the Archmagus of the Guard Tower, both the title and staff are the marks of the highest of mages, reigning over their fellows. The Staff is shaped of raw magic, (secretly, this staff is the work of the Weavers) with all the most powerful enchantments the Archmagi of the ages have been able to lay upon it. The staff controls and links its brethren, and it is the greatest reason why the Magic City has never fallen to an enemy while the Staff is held in the hands of the High Archmage.
Staff of Life: Although it is the sigil of the Archmagus of the Tower of Life, this title, sadly, belongs but to a figurehead. Too much lifemagic lore has been lost since the fall of Birn. Rraopila of Birn gave this staff to Saban, imbuing it deeply with her own magic, and that of her enemies, killing them in the process. It is rumored that this staff was taken from the heart of the Tree of Life by the first generation of Brownies. The staff is a shaft of eternally green wood, vibrant and still alive, with twin vines twining around it forming the sigil of the Lifemagic. The Green Staff enables the user to cast lifemagic spells at almost unlimited range, and close to unlimited intensity, but only at whatever lifemagic spell level the user already has. A team of redbark Brownies has been researching ways to change this limitation since the Tower of Life was founded. This Staff works best in concert with the Blue and Brown Staffs.
Staff of Mind: The device of the Master of the Violet Tower, the Staff of Mind is an elongated replica of the Tower itself, down to the Minor Eye on the apex. It is one of the more bizzare functions of the staff that its bearer always appears to be the same Archmagus who wielded it first, the demi-legend Venora Farsight. Among its other powers are its casual bending of others to its will, and the illusions the staff itself can wield. The Staff has a mind of its own, and it is an even deadlier foe than its user if separated. This staff works well with the Yellow Staff and the Rainbow Staff.
Staff of Summoning: The mark of the Gateway Tower, the Staff that is its heart is roughly of the same design as the Tower. A rod of obsidian and marble reaches up, and in four hands grasps an orb of solid Voidras, more precious than a city of Mythril, more powerful than even the Tower of its birth. For from within this Staff can issue forth the legions of the Tower, from Imps to Mephguours, from the lowliest Bloodworm to the greatest Netherbeast... All lie dormant within the Orb, waiting for the Master of the Tower's call. This staff works well with all of its brethren.
Staff of Magic: At once the greatest and least of the Eleven, the Staff of the Metamagi is the most powerful magic-warping force short of the Shadow Himself on Sorren. As its tower, the Rainbow Staff is made of crystal, with bands of color swirling through it with the passing of magical fields. The Staff is the most powerful tool against other magic known to the Wizard's School, but against the simplest soldier it is worth no more than a common club. Such is the price of specialization.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Edited by: Xarl at: 1/27/02 2:55:10 am
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2002, 12:13:00 »

"Staff of Life: Sigil of the Archmagus of the Tower of Life, it is rumored that this staff was taken from the heart of the Tree of Life as a gift to the Brownies. The staff is a shaft of eternally green wood, with twin vines twining around it forming the sigil of the Lifemagic. Whether the stories of its origins are truth or not, the Green Staff bears an amazing power over the forces of life, and it is in this relic that the last powers of the Archmagi of Birn are concentrated"

Please let me think about this and make some changes before you post it.

Brownie Expert

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2002, 12:14:00 »

OK I don't know much about magic, but this being elfy related I felt the need to poke my big nose in :)

Can you explain to me in very short words who owns the staffs and who made them...are these mages elven or Human, which tribes are they from? Save lazy old me looking up all these references

Wren
questions, questions.....

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2002, 17:37:00 »

The Archmagi are the respective best at their specialty. However, the Archmage of the Yellow Tower will almost always be an Elf, and the rest are split between humans, elves, and dwarves. Brownies are usually the wielders of the Green Staff, but otherwise the all-time ratio of archmagi remains 5:4:2, Elves to Humans to Dwarves.
Greybark, I await your judgement.
Tarq, I await yours as well on the Metamagicians. I keep on thinking that they lean towards Weavers...

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride

Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2002, 17:42:00 »

1.) I don't know what Metamagicians are. Where did you put them?
2.) The Staff of Magic, you mention is a magical tool of the Shadow Himself. Is that a reference to Coor? If it is, then I have an objection. Wizardly magic should have nothing to do with religion!

And yes, the most powerful mage in Ximax would most likely know about them. But no one would know he knew, so no one would be able to record that he knew because they wouldn't have known he knew, ya know? Though few know about them, the most powerful magi are the only ones who can be Secret Holder (The Wizard in the White Tower), either that a someone who was with teh Weaver when he died, fi it was away from the Temple (Theodorus).  

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/15/02 11:46:02 pm
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2002, 18:29:00 »

Hey I got to one hundred post!!!!!  Yeah!!!   Most may so what, but it is a big deal to me :evil

Anyway on to business.  I hate to burst your bubble on the Staff of Ximax, but the city has gone down twice.  One, in 773 b.S., had most of the lore and magic tomes going up in a cloud of smoke.  So this staff can not do what is stated as doing.  Also, if the staffs are so well known as to be notorious and a great power they would not be very long in the towers of Ximax.  To many powerful magi of evil intent would want them for their own purposes and would be constantly after them.  Not to mention that the Elven magi from the Shivering Woods would have destroyed them when they raised the city.  The Elves couldn't very well leave them lying around.

Ideas are funny little things.  They won't work unless you do.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2002, 19:47:00 »

Alrighty then, the Staff will have been stolen by the Dark Elves under the leadership of the Dark Archmage _____, leaving the Academy vulnerable. In the interim, all it took was for two spells to pierce the Inner Circle, and the contents of the Eleven Towers would be very gone. And the remaining Archmagi, surviving by virtue of their staffs, would have been very willing to chase him, hunt him down like an animal, reclaim both the Black Staff and the Staff of Ximax, and run him and his brethren into their demifortress of the Shivering Woods. From there, they try to resurrect the city... Sound good, Thuja?

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2002, 19:53:00 »

WHERE ARE THE METAMAGICIANS!?!? Had to get your attention.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2002, 22:19:00 »

Tarq, Metamagicians are "pure magi," they can only manipulate magical fields. One Metamage could be a match for any three of his magical brethren, but a child with a pointed stick could beat 'im down.
And the Staff of Magic is the strongest magic-warping tool short of Coor's powers.

Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2002, 03:45:00 »

Yes the only problem is the history already states that the Dark Elves were able to defeat the Ximaxian forces and most of the magi were killed.  Even if these few were to survive I think they would not be strong enough or enough remaining magi left to go after the powerful Dark Elf magi, especially since they already broke the Ximaxian magic and defeated them.  You have to remeamber, the Dark Elves have already destroyed the magi at Ximax so why would they run from a few when they have more and stronger magi.  Maybe these staffs could slide into history or lore where no one knows for sure if they still exist or not.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2002, 10:17:00 »

Let me know what you think.
BTW, which ones are the blue and brown staffs?
and what is a sigil (as in "the sigil of the lifemagic")
-----------
Staff of Life: Although it is the sigil of the Archmagus of the Tower of Life, this title, sadly, belongs but to a figurehead. Too much lifemagic lore has been lost since the fall of Birn. Rraopila of Birn gave this staff to Saban, imbuing it deeply with her own magic, and that of her enemies, killing them in the process. It is rumored that this staff was taken from the heart of the Tree of Life by the first generation of Brownies. The staff is a shaft of eternally green wood, vibrant and still alive, with twin vines twining around it forming the sigil of the Lifemagic. The Green Staff enables the user to cast lifemagic spells at almost unlimited range, and close to unlimited intensity, but only at whatever lifemagic spell level the user already has. A team of redbark Brownies has been researching ways to change this limitation since the Tower of Life was founded. This Staff works best in concert with the Blue and Brown Staffs.

Brownie Expert

Xarl lazy again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2002, 16:59:00 »

Perfect, Greybark. And Thuja, did Ximax resurrect itself? If not, I do the history one way, if so, another.
Oh yes, the Brown Staff is the Staff of Earth, and the Blue Staff is the Staff of Water.

Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2002, 18:04:00 »

Yes they restarted only to fall again around 500b.S.  Then they started again and I believe have had no problems since.  By the way I will have the Zirkumire Mountains up soon and a small bit of lore with them you can include in the history.  Since they have been conquered twice you will see why.  Am also working on a hunting feline type of animal that lives in these mountains.

I don't know if you want the staffs to be spread out or maybe disappear, but the Dark Elves may or may not be in the Shivering Woods.  No one is sure, they have not been seen or heard about for a very long time.  Maybe this will help you or not.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2002, 22:38:00 »

quite a natural combonation then. They are elemental staffs, then?

Brownie Expert

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2002, 23:44:00 »

Alright, the last few staffs. Being a touch more elemental in nature, tell me if I take too much from the godly interpretations.

Staff of Light: Formed of ivory, silver, and shimmering halos of energy, the White Staff is the counter to the threat posed by the Shadow Staff to the forces of Ximax. The Staff is reputedly a pale shadow of that great artifact, the Staff of Ava(copyright Elianta), held by the Light Elves. It affects the mind of its owner after some time, as is evidenced by the fact that all of the Light Archmagi since the Fall of 733 have been steadily more rationalizing, cold, and brutally swift to put down any attempt by the Black Tower to manipulate the balance of force. It works best with the Yellow and Rainbow Staffs.
Staff of Flame: The staff of the Archmage of the Crimson Tower, the Red Staff is a rather terrifying sight to behold. It has the appearence of eternally dripping lava, constantly running in an inverse teardrop shape. Only the Red Archmage can dare to touch it, and the Staff has been known to share its displeasure with its wielder's course of action by temporarily allowing itself to burn his hands. This staff works best with the Violet and Black Staffs.
Staff of Darkness: The most infamous staff of the Eleven, its most famous wielder was the Dark Elven Archmage Moh'nul, who masterminded the theft of Staff of Ximax in the year 733 B.S. With the help of dark elven clerics, the Archmage bound the staff and his fellow Archmagi in shadows from the Dark Tower. By the time the Archmagi could free themselves from the webs of shadow covering the city, Moh'nul, his minions, and the Staff of Ximax were gone. The dark elves then launched a massive attack on the Institute. Despite the best efforts of the Ximaxians, a spell or two peirced the Inner Circle. In the resulting conflagration, only a few high-level magi and the Towers of the Inner Circle remained. The remaining ten Archmagi eventually hunted Moh'nul down, destroyed him, and reclaimed the staffs, but the Black Staff has been forever tainted by the enchantments of the dark clerics. It seemed to advocate Archmagi who were more and more corrupted, and this is seen as one of the main reasons for the Second Fall of Ximax. It is formed of onyx, shadow, and bone, and seems to leave a dark chill wherever it rests. The staff works best with the Brown and Red staffs.
Hey, only 3 to go!

Xarl Bluestride

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]