Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Magic Integration: READ BEFORE POSTING!  (Read 14207 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 11 December 2001, 22:23:00 »

Alright, this is your friendly moderator speaking. Hello and welcome to my abode. Swiss Miss? Yes? Marshmallows? No? Good. Diegos... you heard the being.
Now. Before you post something, I'd like you to follow these basic guidlines.

Magical Artifact:

Name
(Ex: Orb of Demonstration)
Powers
(When one who does not know how to write a description of a magical artifact, simply reading the words within it will result in full knowledge of how to do so.)
History
(The Orb was created in XXXX by Xarl Bluestride as a way of teaching some of his many apprentices at the Ximaxian Institute of Magic. It has remained in the Institute during this professor's frequent absences, and is currently being held by the High Mage Anon Ymous. This section should be quite long.)

Spell:

Name
(Knowledge of Creation)
Spell Class
(Human/Elven Spell, non-elemental)
Effect
(The caster can teach one person all he knows of the creation of a spell.)
Requirements
(Incantations, potions, runes, whatever, go to this mage! As this is said, crush some dried (see herbarium for appropriate plant) and throw at target.)
Special Notes
(This spell is another created by Xarl Bluestride for when he has no convenient access to the Orb of Demonstration. It is interesting that said spell is not based on elemental powers, and when the creator was asked why, he said the following.
"Look, dammit, some day I may need to teach someone besides a human or elf! Now go and make your own!)

Field of Magic: Just make it up as you go along, but I want a full description!

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2001, 22:48:00 »

Alright, the only major problem I have is you tell them to make it up as they go along. We need boundaries, seriously. I know some people think that this stifles creativity, but it stops magic from getting to ridiculous proportions without any real reason. This is why I'm making the general entry for the Compendium on magic, containing the fields. Also that you put Human/Elven spell, nonelemental. All spells should usually have an element, even if it isn't apparent. The race would use their 'strong' element to perform the spell, which means that a spell with no apparent element of it's own would be different when cast by different races.
I.E.-An elf uses his element of Wind to perform, oh, lets say, an illusion. As is stated in my post, Water and Fire are the better elements for making illusions with, so that means the elf's illusion spell wouldn't be as strong as a human's illusion spell, if they were equal in all other ways.
This is because magic is channeled through the elements or something else. Basically meaning the magic is channeled through Sorren in some way. I believe that Art agreed with me on this at some level, when we were discussing differences between Resonance(Weaver) Magic and the Xeau. That the Xeau is the power which connects the elements(I think), like the glue which holds them together, so the magic is channeled through that. While Resonance Magic is unchanneled, or at least that's what they believe, and straight from the Web.

So, to sum up, we need some sort of boundaries as to the fields and extent of what magic can do. This is why I'm doing my thing, which I haven't gotten any objections to... Yet.

P.S.-Oh, and Xarl, I'm not going to take any of your objections after this as serious, because I know you'll do it just to get under my skin. But I have a knife to dig you out, MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *brandishes his shiney knife, looks around crazy like, and goes back to work*

Tarquet Galbar, BeastMaster Of Santharia, He Who Rules The Animals.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2001, 23:16:00 »

I'm going to need that administratorship soon, just so I can get rid of that. The problem is, to those reading this, I have no clue about how to describe a field of magic. The first one of you to figure a good way out gets a cookie.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride

Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2001, 23:20:00 »

Xarl, we aren't going to get the abilities to edit/delete posts, and if you did it for no reason I'm guessing you might get in trouble, this isn't just the OOC section of an RPG story. And I've already figured out a way to describe fields of magic, and have already started defining them. Look at the thread I started, it's all there. But, if you mean in general as to what the fields are, then here it is.

Magic Field- The specialized section of magic which deals with specific tasks or needs. Some magic users practice only one field as a speciality, while other prefer to have more variety in their spells and study a combination of fields generally.

Tarquet Galbar, BeastMaster Of Santharia, He Who Rules The Animals.

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 12/11/01 5:26:02 am
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2001, 16:58:00 »

I was thinking along the lines of a description, but... Ok. That seems to be all.

Xarl Bluestride

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 26 December 2001, 16:35:00 »

I'm a bit late with posting my comments and ideas here, but I haven't forgotten that there's magic in the United Realms of Santharia.

Here my additions to such general entries:

First of all: Please write clear descriptions of what you expect the Santharians to write at the sections (no jokes etc.)

Now to the Artifacts:

Powers. What you should mention here as well: No God items, with which you can perform everything you want. Mythological items need a well elaborated myth. Note that artifacts are just that: Special items, so think twice before you develop something.
History. Ok. What you should mention here as well: Important wielders of magical weapons, staffs e.g.

Now to the Spells:

We need several more things here (also in preparation for the game).

- Spell Levels (e.g. 1-12, or special, which means that this is a spell which can be learned by anyone)
- Range (e.g. 0 if the target is yourself or 10 peds etc.)
- Target: Self, enemy, friend, item or object (e.g. a wall to break it).
- Casting Time
- Effect description
- Casting description (how it is cast: fingers, mind, through a dance, whatever)

Problems are the Spell Classes and the Field of Magic.
Spell Class. What do you exactly mean by Spell Class? Will we have different spells for humans and elves (I suggest so)? And what would be a spell class then? Is Fire (for a spell of the fire element) a spell class? If not, please give examples.

Field of Magic. I see Tarquet has made a fine list which is supposed to fit in here. I'll post some comments to this list as well.

So please update this scheme, Xarl, so that I can finally make it a sticky topic!

Santharian Webmaster & Forum Admin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2001, 17:25:00 »

Hee hee, Master Arti posted 3 times! Joking aside, I'll wrap those up into a seperate topic... Just tomorrow.

Xarl Bluestride

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2001, 22:59:00 »

er.....what does a spell level 1-12 mean? In RL terms? if somebody knows a level 3, does that mean he studied for 3 years? or what?

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2001, 13:24:00 »

It just means that you'll have to either: have studied the spells that come before it/pay more for the scroll/takes longer to learn it. Example for number one: Fire mage wants to learn Level 3 Fireball. Tough, first he'll have to learn Level 2 Red Orb or Burning Touch. Example for number two: Said fire-mage goes to the local mageware shop. Well, a Fireball scroll costs 100 gold, while an Explosion scroll (Level 4) costs 500. 3: Thanks to a convenient change in the laws of magic, he can learn spells above normal levels. Problem? While he could memorize Burning Touch permanently in a week, it would take him a full month to memorize Fireball.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2001, 13:26:00 »

At Fire Elemental magic spell levels mean: You need to study level 1 first (minor spells, e.g. generate a spark of light which you can use to ignite a torch) before you can study level 5 (devastating fireball). You have to proceed level by level to learn more powerful spells.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2001, 03:33:00 »

ok.......so the highest is 12?
For lifemagic I'd like to have a lot of stuff be forgotten.....so have several levels that no one can reach anymore.....

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2001, 06:01:00 »

Well, 12 levels just a suggestion. There could indeed be some secret, long forgotten spells as well I'd say which only very few (2 or 3 people) can reach in the game and only if they do some very special things. Some levels may be completely forgotten, only existing in myth, no problem with that.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 January 2002, 23:28:00 »

Alright, my take on the magic "levels."

Levels 1-3: Novitiate Spells
Level 1: Extremely simple spells, anyone with magical skills can learn these quite simply. Often, these spells are Eruptions, magicks that the undiscovered initiates cast while unaware of their "talent".
Level 2: Slightly less simple, these will require a bit of study to learn. Usually, these will require a few words of magic to cast, but such is not always nessecary.
Level 3: The limit of what is attainable without formal study of magic, these spells lean towards the bluntly powerful and hard to control. Common ingredients are a pre-requisite for these spells.
Levels 4-6: Initiate Spells
Level 4: Formal schooling will bring these spells into the aspiring sorcerer's range, and with these come the nessecity of learning the magical language. All spells require use of the spoken word, and some of the more materialistic spells require ingredients.
Level 5: At this level, the initiate will first learn how to summon small creatures and spirits. These spirits can be used to fool the senses of others, so at this point the Illusionatai among the students will reveal themselves. This stage also sees the use of more complicated and magical ingredients, such as Lightworm excretions and Ranlesh skin.
Level 6: As the Initiate prepares to enter the status of a full-fledged mage, they will learn the fine art of Magical Creation. Magically forcing objects and elements into being is a fine art, and as such requires a highly developed knowledge of the magical language. Also, creating objects will require a precise mixing of the four Elements, and will force the caster to use Voidras (magical substance to be elaborated on by me) to bind them together.
Levels 7-9:   Magicitai Spells
Level 7: Now a full Manipulator of Magic, the art of changing the magical properties within something is revealed to the mage. Invisibility, transformations, and other such spells are the hallmark of this magical level. At this point and onwards, a complete knowledge of the Magical Language is required, and the ingredients are nearly entirely complex where they are needed. Some magi will find that at this level they can progress no further. They are labeled the Sorcerers.
Level 8: The middle level of the full magic arts, at this point the path of the magi will split. Elementalists will learn the abilities to directly channel their element through themselves. Mentalists will gain the strange and terrifying power of foresight. Necromancers will aquire the simply terrifying power of possession. And so on... The magi for whom the Circle of Enlightenment is the final step are called the Wizards, and they form the bulk of the trained magical population.
Level 9: The most powerful spells available to the mainstream magi, these spells have reached the point where casting one will result in a residue of power being left where it is cast. The main tenent of this sorcerous level is the ability to manipulate and create this aura in nonmagical objects, giving them magical properties. Those who can master this level are the order of the Enchanters, and these are the upper class of the magi.
Levels 10-12: Magus Spells
Level 10: Only the best of the Gifted make it to this level, and here the greatest new power is Enlightenment. This ability allows the caster to metamorphose into a higher being of their specialty. Demonologists can become Mephguórs, Necromancers can merge themselves with their creations... The chosen few who reach this level are called Magus, of course, but among the Magus Order they are termed the  Terquán , or The Changed.
Level 11: The highest level that any mage can hope to achieve within one century, the Eleventh Circle grants its members the awe-inspiring ability to control and warp all the magical fields around them. Also, by this point, any spells beneath the sixth level are reflexively cast, and as such any one of these magi is nearly impossible to surprise. The elite of all magi, the Archmagi are the ones who control the Magical City of Ximax, and it is they who watch over the magical world. These spells.... Very few exist, and they can force complete destruction of a given area.
Level 12: Nearly legendary, the spells of this level transcend mere elemental boundaries. These spells are on the level of the Gods Themselves, and the Chosen are the only wizards known that were ever powerful enough to use them. The only known tomes of the Chosen are held in the Magic City, and of these only three were told of to the world. " The Books Of Ending," or the Dread Lord's Tomes, were taken from beneath the wreckage of the Tower of Ma'asherom.

Xarl Bluestride

Edited by: Xarl at: 1/2/02 5:30:50 am
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2002, 03:46:00 »

Awesome! I love it! Very logical and complete!
With your permission, I will adapt your list to lifemagic as I have time, and submit it along with the ten dollar bill on the back of the ferret for your consideration....

BTW: Are you going to put your level description on the site? Please?

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2002, 10:37:00 »

Of course! I spent a full half-hour thinking that out, so it IS staying.

Xarl Bluestride

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]