Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Magic Integration: READ BEFORE POSTING!  (Read 14205 times)
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14 January 2002, 12:10:00 »

hmmm...then is there a better way? I'm a bit out of my league with the categorization of magic....

Brownie Expert

Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 January 2002, 19:06:00 »

"To each spell level certain named spells are attached, depending on the spell category (Elemental magic, Xeuá magic, Weaver magic etc.)."

Alright, 1.) The name for Weaver's magic is Resonance Magic. 2.) I'd appreciate it if Resonance Magic was left out of the spell levels, as it is a class of it's own and stands apart from the magic of the wizards of Ximax. Not only that, but they wouldn't even know that it existed, outside of ancient lore about Resonance Mages and the City of Magic. The few books with that lore in it, though, would probably be in some dusty, moth-ridden archive in Ximax, or some lost study of an ancient wizard.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/14/02 1:10:07 am
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 January 2002, 22:29:00 »

Done. The only magi who remember the art of Resonance Magic are the Metamagi, and it's written of in a good 2 books as an "interesting theory."

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 January 2002, 11:21:00 »

I have no idea how to integrate the lifemagic levels

Brownie Expert

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 January 2002, 17:04:00 »

I'm such a nuisance to Xarl...

Well, I have a slight problem with level 9(?), Enchanters. This itself is a spell field, so why is it a spell level too, if it's not the specialization of the specific mage? That's just a question, the problem is that it talks about giving things magical properties, which is the power of Imbuing Magic, Enchantments deal with enchanting people and animals. Still up for debate of course, but it makes more sense to me that it be an extremely specialized field.

Maybe Level 9 mages should be considered masters of their specialized field.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 January 2002, 21:19:00 »

The Enchanters are at a level wherein any spell they cast leaves an aura of power behind. This is the level where both Magic Imbuing and Enchanting can become true masterworks. Barely anyone who does not reach this level can use these two fields effectively; think of the difference between sculpting blind and sculpting with sight. Doable, yes, but all the difference between a first-grader's clay toy and the Pieta.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 January 2002, 21:21:00 »

Well, I'll just summarize what I thought about this entire magic area instead of bringing back month-old topics.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... How to put this...

People, I hate levels in an actual world. For the RPG, just fine, for classification, I guess we'll have to stand it. But if we talk about spells, there's gotta be a better way to do it than saying that the mage in the story cast a "Level 9 Lightning Ring." It just doesn't work. I think that we should just classify the basic fields of magic. I see what Art has put down, and I like those three at least. It makes sense. But we have to subcategorize, because I've seen WAY too many names floating around out there. I'm thinking perhaps only five main categories of magic, then different sub-categories as needed. Next, we define some terms, and finally name some commonly used "spells." But PLEASE don't name them like that. Perhaps in some inner wizards circle there are some terms that the wizards say. After all, "fireball" is a likely name without having magic become too, well, constrained.

There. I'll just wait to see what a fool of myself I've just made, and then respod to it. Please correct any misconceptions I might have!!!

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 January 2002, 22:47:00 »

I can't say I blame you, but I and Tarquet both have caught the disease that festers in this glorious place. Detail. Layer it on, tiny piece by tiny peice until the whole is greater and more beautiful than ever before. However, the price paid for such is the loss of some of the details in the flood. The "levels," however, as Arti has been so kind as to explain, are arbitrary rules set down so that the Ximaxians can have a general gauge of a student/mage's ability without having to test him in a long and drawn out process.

Xarl Bluestride

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 January 2002, 17:58:00 »

Yea, Xarl's got it. The levels here aren't so much a gauge of power or a list of spells or anything, but more of a social ladder for the Ximaxian mage.

What three things Art put down?

As for the catergories of magic. Currently there are 7 main catergories, and 15 combos. It's all in the "Magic; A General Entry" post and finished without objections, at the moment.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 January 2002, 11:00:00 »

Could you help me with the intro and assimilation of the lifemagic levels into the rest of the stuff?

HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!

Brownie Expert

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 January 2002, 18:56:00 »

Oh, you have no idea how much that inflates my power complex. Well.. ermm... what do you need?

Xarl Bluestride

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 January 2002, 00:31:00 »

hehehe.....
Well, the Lifemagic spell list should somehow be connected to the other magic stuff, but in a secondary position. I have no idea how to do that, or where to put it. Info on lifemagic is on the site, and I can provide more if needed. So please help, oh master of the elements.

Brownie Expert

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 January 2002, 19:05:00 »

Alright, my ego is now the size of Akdor, please stop with the praise! How's this as an add-on.

The first Archmage of Life at Ximax, the Redbark Greenflower, felt that her comrades of Akdor would find use for a similar system of magic levels to designate the sorcerous abilities of a Redbark. The following system took firm hold in the Seven Schools and has been used since.

Xarl Bluestride

Edited by: Xarl at: 2/2/02 5:10:15 pm
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 January 2002, 19:10:00 »

I think he meant for Life Magic, not for the Seven Schools.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 January 2002, 17:12:00 »

That's why the (?), because last I checked that's the only place that the higher levels of Lifemagic are taught... I expect to be corrected if wrong.

Xarl Bluestride

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]