Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ximaxian Institute  (Read 5317 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 13 January 2002, 23:18:00 »

Alright, I'm giving a description of the actual Magical School nyah... Let's see what y'all think.
Outer Circle
-----------G
------Lf---O----S
-------Me---Mm
Inner Circle
----------Li
------F-----Wi
------E----Wa
----------D
G: Tower of the Guard, this tower is the only entry into the School. It also contains the Great Library of Ximax, repository of all the knowledge the magi have accumulated...and are willing to disclose. This tower is the only "classic" tower, with the battlements and structure made so famous by the Dwarven Archmage Ungur Firehands.
Mm: The Tower of Metamagic, this tower is formed of crystal, with alternating colors shifting through it. This Tower's shape is constantly shifting, but the center always remains a rod of Uruyant.
Lf: Tower of Life Magic, this tower is covered by vines and trees, leading some to wonder what the tower was before covered with life. This Tower, shaped like a titanic tree, is reputedly operated almost entirely by Redbark Brownies.
S: Tower of Summonings, this tower is formed of smooth bands of black and white stone around a massive hand, a hand holding a gargantuan Voidras sphere. This tower houses the Demonologists as its only permanent residents.
Me: Tower of Mental Magic, the tower that houses the Mentalists is shaped like a violet pyramid with a glittering crystal on top of it. The Eye of Venora, as the crystal is called, is the main scrying device of Ximax, and it is through this instrument the Mental Magi retain their mago-political influence. The Illusionists also reside here.
Inner Circle: These six towers are arranged in a tight circle, with walls of mystic energy tightly binding them together. On the inside of the Circle rests one of the Wonders of Santharia: the Tear of Ava, the Uarná'ésh-dél, the Orb of Ximax... Call it what you will, this immensely powerful sphere of magical energy is the heart of the Institute, and the entire City of Mages was built up around this phenomenon. The only mortal beings allowed to enter the roiling energies within the Orb are the Archmagi, during thier induction and meetings of the Conclave.   It is rumored (if it please the Avesthoria) that the Orb is truly a place where the energies of the gods collide; where the line between the Dream and Night is blurred, and it is the only place where mortals may reach the Divine.
The Inner Circle's towers will wait for a second.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Edited by: Xarl at: 1/27/02 7:37:38 pm
Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2002, 00:46:00 »

"This tower houses both the Spectromancers and the Demonologists"

Isn't Spectromancy one of those things you made for the followers of Coor? Because as far as I can tell there is no Spectromancy on the Aura, and I can't think of a combo for it either.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2002, 10:48:00 »

Interesting.........

I hope you're also going to describe the schooling process. How does one get trained? How does one pass to the next level? Graduate? Drop out? Get expelled?
I'm also curious....why would Brownies want to live in Ximax? What is attractive to them?

Brownie Expert

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2002, 12:20:00 »

I can sum up Greybark's answer in one word: Trade. The Redbarks are kind enough to teach some bumbling human and elven magi the lower levels of their exclusive art in exchange for Sarvonian money, spell ingredients, spellcrafts... Even Brownies are known to like some parts of human cuisine, and as such there is always a fair portion of the Brownie population willing to teach at Ximax, and thus get a cut of the trade.

To Tarq: Spectromancers are simply less evil Necromancers. They only deal with the spirits of the dead, and do not force them into bodies. The Necromancers and Spectromancers severely dislike each other, so the Spectromancers work out of the Tower of Summonings, while the Necromancers still retain the Black Tower of the Inner Circle.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2002, 12:23:00 »

re: trade.
I*n*t*e*r*e*s*t*i*n*g

I LIKE......

Brownie Expert

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2002, 18:31:00 »

The point still stands, I've used the Black Xeuá combos already, so there isn't anywhere to fit it in. And it sounds a bit too clerical for me. The Gods deal with spirits and such, magic deals with manipulation of the elements and the energies generated thereof. When it gets to spirits that transcends from simple energies into incorporeal exitence.

Not trying to squash your creativity or anything, but please try working off of the Aura.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/14/02 12:32:54 am
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2002, 22:21:00 »

I evidently haven't explained spectromancy well enough. It requires no new combo because of the fact it IS necromancy, only they don't mess around with bodies, thinking that that's just not right. Anyway, I need to finish the Towers off.

Tower of the Shadow: This black, chill obelisk is the home of the Warpers of the Night, among whom are the Necromancers and their dark brethren. It is rumored that the Black Tower is the only place on Sorren mirrored in the Underworld precisely as it is. Its defense is fairly benign, if having your own shadow rise up and paralyze you is seen as benign.
Tower of the Sea: A tower shaped of sapphire and ice, this tower houses the Elemental Magi of Water. It is shaped like an icicle defying gravity, and growing upwards. As its shield, an intense chill will overcome the enemies of the Blue. This tower, like its three brethren, will grow or shrink as Ahm and Soor collide at the Orb of Ximax.
Tower of Earth: Shaped like a miniature mountain, the Brown Tower is the lair of the Earth Magi. It is also the home of all Dwarven magi to come into Ximax; despite spellcasting discipline, the Dwarves keep their own together. Those who are not deemed worthy to enter this Tower are swallowed by the earth, up to the legs if lucky.
Tower of the Skies: A tower formed from wind-carved rock in the deserts of Aerullian, the Yellow Tower is unique in that none but the wind-workers can enter. The Tower is surrounded by fierce winds, and actually levitates above the ground. Legend says that when the Tower falls, Armageddon will be at hand.
Tower of Flame: Two intertwined pillars of crimson granite and ruby shape this chaotic tower, the home of the Fire Magi. This Tower is the work of the first Red Archmage, Grar the Powerful, the leader of the Volkek-Oshra tribe of orcs. In his honor, the Red Tower's archmage has always been of the Volkek-Oshra, though the regent is a different story. The Red Tower's dull glow can be seen throughout Ximax, a constant reminder of the nearness of chaos in all the works of magic. In the reverse of the Blue Wards, this tower causes unbearable heat to descend onto those near it without an errand within. This on top of the Daughters of the Flame, an elite caste of orcish war mages that are enough on their own to kill anyone's interests in the Tower.
Tower of Light: A sabre of pearl and ivory, this tower's radiance causes acute pain to the impure who view it; such are its defensive wards. This tower is the home of the Energy and Light Magi, who suffer none but their own inside its walls. This tower focuses the Orb's power of Ahm and counterbalances the Black Tower's concentration of Soor.*
Sheild Dome: A field of intense magical power rests over the center of the Inner Circle, the result of the efforts of the Founders of Ximax to shield the effects of the Orb from the surrounding area. Even the few emissions that leak through the nearly impenetrable shield are enough to magnify the sorcerous powers around the Institute by an extreme amount. The Eleven Towers are for the most part made to contain and concentrate these energies, to be wielded by the Archmagi of the respective Orders during their reign.   Note: See Eleven Staffs of Ximax.
*The Twin Towers, as the Black and White are called, are of nessecity always perfectly matched in power, as it is believed that should one gain power over the other, the resulting cataclysm within the Orb would annihalate the entire peninsula of Ximax. Since even the Coor-corrupted within the Black Tower wish to retain existence, they hold to the mandate of the Archmagi on this.

Xarl Bluestride

Edited by: Xarl at: 1/27/02 3:02:02 am
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2002, 16:40:00 »

Shadowmancy-The least corrupting of the Dark Magic fields, practicioners of this art can turn shadows to any possible use. Shadow cloaks, shadow weapons, shadow homes, practically anything! They can even travel through shadows in a novel form of teleportation. Shadowmancers are unique among the Dark Magi in that they retain a more neutral attitude regarding others, as without light there can be no shadows, and vice versa. As the Void is only tapped to create shadows, the chance of corruption is extremely low.

Spectromancy- Slightly higher on the scale of corruption, Spectromancy is a subfield of Clerical Necromancy that can be studied alone and with a much lower risk. It involves merely contacting spirits of the dead through either of the Voids, and only rarely summoning them. The main risk is summoning or contacting several of the more evil dead, and thus drawing Coor's attention. Also, Queprur has a hold on this field. Should the user disturb the balance of the dead, Queprur will instantly take possession of the caster's soul and send it straight to Coor. (Fine, you don't believe in him. He belives in you!)"

Those are both in yoru descriptions of the powers of the Clerics of Coor. Ximax is the City of Mages, meaning they would teach Wizardly magic in the Institute, not clerical magic, that would be reserved for temples. You agreed to change these magics to Clerical, after deliberation, and now you're just contradicting yourself.

Please just humor me and change it.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2002, 17:28:00 »

Lest this break over from the realm of civility, sure, but I will get the Shadowmancers into the works of Ximax somehow. (The Spectromancers I yield.)

Xarl Bluestride

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2002, 17:49:00 »

Well please edit it, then, and I still don't see how Shadowmancy would fit. Clerical magic shouldn't mix in with Wizardly magic, so I don't think there should be any Clerical magic towers, or anything decided on religion either.

Not to mention the fact that there isn't any room for it left in the Aura. You may want to be checking it out when looking for things to update it too, haven't gotten any objections to the finished concept yet.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/15/02 11:51:40 pm
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2002, 10:08:00 »

Edited.

Xarl Bluestride

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2002, 02:33:00 »

"This tower is the only "classic" tower, with the battlements and structure made so famous by Dwarven architect Drur Stonehands."

(Footnote:  Xarl - see your post on the Staffs, which I read and commented on first, to more fully understand this one!)

Who is THIS guy?  Where'd he come from?  Why is his name in Santharian instead of Thergerim Taal?  And if you don't know, you'd better hand him over, or you'll get a pickaxe handle between the ears (glares threateningly at the Mage)

I know we need some more detail on the Dwarves - I've been away for four weeks at English Winter Camp but WILL be returning soon and then picking up all those loose threads!

If you don't have any other use for this architect, I'll gladly take him and develop him as a character (and move him into People of Santharia when finished).  OK by you?  Just let me know...

(Leans on her pickaxe and combs her fingers through her beard, regaining her composure)

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2002, 15:49:00 »

Xarl has a tendency to create people out of thin air for his own purposes without really thinking.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2002, 17:05:00 »

With you gone, dear Judith, I'm afraid I lose some of my inhibitions. I was meaning to change him over to the one guy I have as creating the Staff of Earth, but I suspect you have roughly the same problem over there.  Ah well, I suppose it's all for the better... *grumbles off about the increased work he has to do...*

Xarl Bluestride

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2002, 22:59:00 »

Request for Xarl: And since I need the Volkek-Oshra to fit with everything else, I have a few requests here too.
1.Only a Volkek-Oshra can control the Red Tower.
This is mainly because they live in cattacombs which are accessed by the Tower.
2.The Red Tower is protected by the Daughters of the Flame as well as magical wards.
3.It has a door in a shadowed alcove on the first floor which leads to a chamber that serves as the enterance to the cattacombs which is protected by Daughters and magic wards so that only Volkek-Oshra may enter.

Are those acceptable?

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]