Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Clerical Magic {esh bueno?}  (Read 4796 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 14 August 2002, 20:39:00 »

Description:
Clerical Magic revolves greatly around faith in a Cleric's God/Godess and the powers their God/Godess bestows upon them. The strength of the Cleric's power is directly related to their faith. If one believes that their God/Godess will give them the power to cast, then they can. Deflecting a Cleric's magic is a difficult task- it requires a defense through physical, magical or Clerical skill. One cannot 'disbelieve' away a fireball.
 Unlike Elemental Magic, unsuccessfully casting a spell damages the Cleric mentally. His faith in his God/Godess decreases, making him less apt to cast successfully. Many Clerics have unsuccessfully casted spells so many times they can no longer cast; they only profess a mental faith rather than a faith of the Ca'rall.
Least fortunate for the Clerics is the small breadth of their skills. The God/Goddess they invoke controls what exactly can be casted. The Cleric, therefore has a limited range of spells which can make him painfully weak and an easy target for others. However, A gathering of clerics of a similar faith can produce devestating results that can far surpass that of Mages; such as the Year of Darkness invoked by the Foirosan Clerics.

The Clerical Faiths:
As long as a Cleric believes in a God/Godess with Faith, he can invoke the God/Goddess to bestow power upon them.
This beginning table covers The 12 of the Avaria, as well as the prime god of the Dwarven Faith; Trum-Baroll.

Dwarven Faith
~Trum-Baroll Clerics ( also referred to as Dwarven Clerics):
These clerics cast much differently than the similar Urtengor of the Avaria. They have a wider breath of power, and some Clerics prefer to focus on one Aspect of  Trum-Baroll's power.
Some focus on the Forge, others in mining, While still more focus on strength or steadfastness. The goal of a Trum-Baroll is always to come out on top of their chosen field. The most jewels, the best weapons, stronger than all others. They do enjoy competing.

The Avaria
       The Wind Gods:
~Eyashan ( ey-ya-shan) Clerics: These are the Peace keepers. Eyasha allows them to invoke peace and calmness within the Caster and the Target. Hypnosis, Clouded Senses, and Complacency are common invocations. Their goal is not ultimate Peace, as they understand that there must always be a balance. Their goal is simply contentment with all things.
~Grotharian (gro-thar-ee-an) Clerics: Controllers of the weather. They are capable of weather phenomenae remarkably similar to some Elemental Magic spells. Their ultimate goal is unpredictability. They wish not to be ruled or dominated; they are free spirits.
~Nethorian ( Net-hor-ri-an) Clerics: Nethor is the God of Healing, and as the Humans and Elves worship Nethor differently their powers are different. Human Nethorians can detect injured or diseased creatures and address their illnesses or ailments with remedies and cures not known by the common house-wife or Ranger. Elven Nethorians are able to tap their target's life-force; they can drain it from the Target or augment it with their own. The Nethorian's ultimate goal is always the same; to touch the Creation of Ava while staying seperate from it. Nehtorians are known for seperating themselves from society; while some prefer it, some live a life of aching.

Earth Gods
~Arvinean ( Ar-vin-ee-an) Clerics: These clerics are some of the more frightening. These clerics are capable of heightened senses in themselves and others; however, they are only capable of being used in a Hunt. The Ultimate goal of any Arvinean cleric is to challenge themselves. Bring down a bigger prey, hunt a smarter animal, use less weapons and more skill.
~Quepruran (quep-ruur-ran) Clerics: These clerics are thought o be the most dangerous, but their skills are subtle. Waning, Silence the Car'all and Death Ache are some of the stronger invocations. The goal of the Quepruran is to Understand death and pain through all its forms. Queprurans are known to disfigure their bodies through this process to elevate themselves in the eyes of their Goddess.
~Urtengian(Ur-teng-ee-an) Clerics: These clerics embrace interesting talents. A Rich man's kitchen is incomplete without the blessing and the hand of a Cooking Urtengian. And a Foundry or Blacksmith demands that a Forging Urtengian be present at all times. Either of these professions is unkempt without one. An Urtengian's goal is quite simple, to create the best. They rate themselves on the rate of Urtengor; Would he wield this Weapon? Would he find this Meal satisfactory? Those are questions they ask of themselves.

Water Gods:
~Baveran(ba-ver-an) Clerics: These clerics are interesting, to say the least. Their ability to detect and manipulate the lakes and seas is unsurpassed, and their ability to read it is as if Baveras reads it herself. The Goal of the Baveran is to Understand every spot of water, every grain of sand. It is a very difficult task, but those that embrace Her are not doomed to fail.
~Jeryrialan (jer-ry-al-an) The goddess of the Harvest of all kinds, these clerics are seers of the birth to be. They can detect genders of children, precise Fall bounty numbers in the Spring, and are blessed guests at weddings, births and harvest celebrations. The closer to Jeryriall one gets, the more potent her presence becomes. Some particularly blessed clerics can grow full trees with simply a seed and a touch... these clerics tend to fade from the eye of Society after they are blessed in this fashion.
~Seyellan ( say-ell-an) Clerics: These is probably the most beneficial Clerics. They are capable of seeing the future and the past in their Mind's Eye. Their accuracy wholly depends upon the faith of those they read; they are precise with believers, and stumble miserably with the skeptical. Blindness to these Clerics is a blessing, and to be completely capable of seeing without their true eyes is considered the closest they can come to Seyelle.

Fire Gods:
~Aremosian (air-re-mos-ee-an) Clerics: These Clerics are blessed with the power to invoke patriotism and strength during a battle or fight. The most beneficial clerics to any travelling party, a country may summon thousands of Aremosian clerics to invoke Aremos into the troops. The goal of the Aremosian is to Win honorably. Honor is very important to these clerics and they are steadfast in what they believe to be right.
~Etheruian (Eth-er-roo-ee-an) Clerics: Perhaps the most mysterious,  Etheruian Clerics are capable of manipulating the mind to excess and greed. Etheruian clerics are not well-liked, but are used by many shady businessmen to manipulate their customers. Etheruains are always challneging themselves to manipulate stronger-willed people; knights, other Clerics, crowds. They especially enjoy manipulating one another, they make competitions of it from time to time.
~Foirosan ( foi-ro-san) Clerics: This is the Burning God. His clerics can invoke desire in their Target, or Rationality. The choice is up to the caster. They are also capable of manipulating Injera, though only when gathered in large numbers. Their Ultimate goal is to find the Truth. They wish to discover the reality and honesty in the whole of the world; they can become zealous. These clerics are difficult to sway as once they believe they have the Truth, they will refuse to be rational...

The High Gods:
These clerics breach the span between Clerical and Magical power. As they can be schooled in Xeua and Ecua, a strong Faith in Ava or Co'or will assist them greatly in their training. However, only Elves believe in Ava and Co'or; so a Human Avarian or Co'orean clerics are amazingly rare, if not nonexistant.

~Avarian ( a-va-ree-an) Clerics: these clerics have the ability to create and form things with their power. Their spells are similar if not the same spells as as Xeua mages; though the Cleric's breadth and strength in spells far surpass the Mage's. The goal of the Avarian is to simply balance the power of the Co'orean clerics while ensuring that all the other Clerics keep the balance within themselves.

~Co'orean (coo-or-ee-an) Clerics: these clerics have the ability to destroy and dissipate things with their power. Their spells are similar if not the same spells as as Ecua mages; though the Cleric's breadth and strength in spells far surpass the Mage's. These Clerics are fearful and Destructive; they care nothing for balance and seek to destroy the Dream. They are constantly countered by the Avarians; they are always within particularly close proximity to one another.

There we go! I believe it's done...

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Viresse  at: 9/4/02 6:39:37 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2002, 09:29:00 »

YOU GUYS?!
What's going on!?
Is this okay?!
*grumbles* I hate when they don't post anything after they read it...

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2002, 09:45:00 »

>>...His faith in his God/Godess decreases, making him less apt to cast successfully...<<

Okay, okay, Vir, please don't chop heads off! ;)

I don't get the above sentence. Does ones faith dwindle when he cast clerical spells?
In the magic overview is a general overview about cleric magic, is yours based on it? Only ask because I'm not sure and barely found it again myself (is called magic through belief)

I'd also think that the end results of clerical magic can exceed that of elemental magic because of the number of people involved (up to several hundred priests and maybe thousands of followers). While small spells might only involve the caster and the target great rituals could have great impact on nearly anything (thinking about the Year of Darkness accomplished by the Priests of Foiros here).

I'm not sure how much everything should be explained by the existance of the gods and how much atheistic(Thank you Art! ;) ), it sounds like a good start but I think the basics has to be described more. What is the attitude of a certain priesthood, what do they want to accomplish(for their god)? Such things.

I know, maybe not what you wanted to hear but I guess that might be pretty important for a start. :)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2002, 16:20:00 »

Three for each element... Are we including Xeua and its opposite here?

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2002, 16:31:00 »

Don't think so, that would be equal to the belief of Avá or Coór and that is something only Elves believe in and they would believe in it differently maybe even see no difference between Xeuá magic and clerical Xéua spells. Actually that would make IMO the most sense, what do you think?

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2002, 09:33:00 »

Right, I forgot about Xeua and Ecua, but are the reggaler Magic guys playing with that, or should I?
And yeah, I used the " Belief" stuff at the site.
As well as your opinions, Koldar, you're right. I didn't think of those. I should have. I'll start to work on that- hopefully by monday they should be included in the text.

And why would I bite your head off? I only get mad at things I don't like.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2002, 12:25:00 »

Clerics that use Xeuá spells would probably be Clerics of Avá, while those who use Ecuá would be Clerics of Coor.

This should be far more generic. Not just centered on the Santharian 12, because there are other religions, other Gods and Goddesses.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2002, 13:52:00 »

None believes in Avá and Coór others than Elves and these guys don't think in human ways so I doubt that they would have priests and clerics. That would feel just not right.
The believe in Avá and Coór is also far more personal, I would guess, so priests would serve no real purpose.
Generally Avá and Coór should not be mixed up with other gods. They're no gods, they're concepts, forces, powers but no gods in the human sense.

In fact these areas would be more the place were clerical and elementar magic starts to mix because Xeuá and Eucá magic is not about elements but about these two opposing concepts as well. in both areas, cleric and magic, I would treat them differently than the rest, esspecially more carefully. ;)

So I'd not include these forces in clerical magic, esspecially as we follow godly believes in this scheme not elements!

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 8/16/02 8:58:00 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2002, 07:12:00 »

right. That's why I left Xeua, Ecua, Ava and Co'or out.

As for other cultures who have their own belief system and therefore their own gods and THEREFORE their own process of clerical casting, perhaps they'd need to make their OWN entry. *winces, hoping that wasn't too harsh*

I mean; I was kind of creating the Clerical magic with the RP in mind; people will want to be clerics or druids and we'd say " Okay, pick a God..." and then they'd be like " What do they do? " And we'd say " Uh... I dunno, make it up."

Which can get very hairy and reckless.
So...
I guess what I'm saying is that that I'm being purposely precise for Them, as well as Us. If there are gods that are Similar to the ones of the Avaria, then maybe they can get their own Subheading. Or their own entry.

Am I making any sense? Becuase it's about 6:30 am and I've been up all night just puttering around like Ozzy Osbourne when he's got nothing to do...

" Sha-raaaaaaaon..."

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2002, 13:58:00 »

Ok, some comments here:

Belief is a completely different approach to magic than Elemental Magic, Xeuá, Ecuá or Weaving. Spells can look similar to spells of the elements, e.g. a fireball cast by a Foiros priest looks like Fire Magic, but it will be called "Wrath of Foiros" or something, and will have other advantages/disadvantages in comparison to a typical fireball. Same with Xeuá/Ecuá. Belief can produce Xeuá/Ecuá spells, but only as a final result. There is no Xeuá cleric. Only a cleric of a God.

As for the Gods to be used: Right, different cultures may use different Gods for their clerical magic. An orc believing in the great God of Fire, Darkness, Chaos, whatever, in general has completely different spells than the priests of Santharia, who believe in the 12 Gods. I would definitely mention this concept in the general entry so that there are no misunderstanding.

However, we should focus on Santharian beliefs, and here we mainly have the humans, the elves and the dwarves. Orcs don't fit into a Santharian Gods scheme, so they would have to be treated seperately.

- Humans have 12 Gods, you've described them already.

- Dwarves have only Trum-Baroll (Urtengor), and therefore are limited in magic, being closest to earth (materialistic), and the farthest away from spirit (as an elf wood say). However, they would have much more Trum-Baroll spells than anyone else I'd say, closely related to the element of earth in general.

- Elves I'd say should have the 12 Gods, plus a bonus God due to their alignment (dark elves: Coór, others: Avá).

BTW: The term "fluking" isn't understandable here to me.  Can you explain that in more detail?

Oh, and one more thing:  You say "If the Target believes that they will be injured by the God/Goddess invoked, then they will be harmed." Well, not exactly I'd say, though it's the other way round. If someone casts a spell on you and you believe in the God's healing powers, then this will increase your healing chances, as you then can "build a bridge of belief" between the caster and the target, the energies will flow together for the same purpose.

But at offensive spells this won't work. You can produce a fire ball with a God's help (or with the belief's help to be more precise). But once the fireball is there, no belief will help you to simply "believe it away", unless you counter the spell, either by physical means (protective shield), normal magic means (elemental spell "fire shield") or a cleric spell (e.g. "Foiros' Armour").

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2002, 21:00:00 »

Ohh. Okay. I'll alter that... Arti.

As for Fluking... it essentially means 'messing up'. It was late and I couldn't think too well; that usually cuts down on the proper selection of understandable worlds in my vocabulary.

As for Trum-Baroll, I defenitely thinks he needs his own Sub-heading, and I will work on that.

Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2002, 22:58:00 »

Fluking is known as 'fizzeling' in magic terms.

If you 'fizzle' a spell, basically you messed up in the process somewhere or the spell just so happened to 'burn out' on you...

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2002, 11:31:00 »

yeh. I changed the word to say " Unsuccesfully Casting".
Hopefully that's a little easier to understand.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2002, 11:43:00 »

I guess we used fizzling at other entries, so this is would also be ok. If you have nothing more to add, Viresse, I'll see if I can integrate it next update. I'll then try to brush it up here and there with some additonal details which come to my mind, okeydokey?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2002, 21:59:00 »

well, Koldar had said somethign about the goals of each diety's clerics, but Since I plan on doing those myself... Perhaps I could add that there.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]