Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Fae Magic...  (Read 21040 times)
Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
Eh
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2002, 09:30:00 »

The Aeolian Brownies also have settlements in the Void, I believe. As well as in other worlds. They travel in the Void. They do have a settlement in reality, yes. But they also travel through the Void, and affect the Void with their magic. Otherwise the Void would have destroyed their settlement or some such. It's the entire importance of the Seven Schools.

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2002, 17:03:00 »

Were it not obvious that the system works completely, has no glaring clashes with the rest of Santharia, and that a lot of thought had gone into it, I'd've shot this thing down like a cartoon animal in the middle of an Elmer Fudd convention because it's someone inventing another magic system. As is, I'm inclined to give you the go-ahead once Greybark and you liase over the Fae and their connections to Brownies.
P.S: Dang you and your rationality. I was looking forward to a nice long fight too.  

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 October 2002, 17:40:00 »

Well, aside from the fact that it's way too detailed for a supposedly mythic race, I've all ready talked to Wren. We're working on the situation.

Not to mention the shapechanging thing.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 10/12/02 12:54:49 am
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2002, 10:48:00 »

Ok, I've read much of the article. Any references to magic are subject to the approval of the Magic people. A conclusion is available at the end of this post for those that are just interested in that.

Brownies live inside of the Void, in a special zone that has been temporarily imagined by will and then permanently attached by magic to the real world. It is thus partially protected both from the dangers of the real world and from the dangers of the void.

The Brownie settlement, while living just inside the void, are not directly affected by the void itself, nor do they directly affect the void, as a whole. They do tunnel through the void to get to other realities (not yet fully described), or to summon creatures for food, and have to deal with void things, but only when they intrude on the special zonethat the Brownies live in. They generally stay within their zone, even if they are attempting to influence the Void. Any Brownie that goes out of the zone into the void proper is taking his chances in an extremely hostile environment, and is either very brave, very desperate, or very stupid.

So that's the Brownie situation. So far, I think no problem.
Now, the Fae situation, living inside the void itself.

The normal rules of reality do not apply in the void. To survive there, someone would have to have an extremely active, yet extremely disciplined imagination. This would be true even in sleep, if Fae sleep.

Anything is possible within the void, as long as it is set in place by someone with the imagination described above, and then locked in by magic. This is true of physical objects, places, people, moods, attributes, connections, anything. This is where the true potential and the true danger of the Void lies.
Example: Say I walk into the void. I think there will be ground there to walk on, so there is. It is temporary, as I know no magic, and will stay there only as long as I assume it is there, melting away gradually when I stop assuming this. Say I stub my toe on a rock that I assume the gound is littered with. My toe hurts so bad that I think it'll fall off. So, of course, it does. A thought pops to mind: What if all of my toes fall off? So they do. Pretty soon I'm lucky to have any limbs at all, and am beginning to panic, and to fear what could happen in such an environment. As soon as I fear something, it becomes reality.
Therefore, people with even slightly undisciplined imaginations are unlikely to survive long in the Void proper.
It is possible that Ava is just an ordinary person, sleeping and dreaming all of Sorren in and from the void. If this is so, then it would immediately begin melting together as soon as she woke up.
People with no imagination will just never get anywhere, always staying within spitting distance of where they entered the void proper.

A separate magical system (subject to approval by the magic people, of course), could be imagined/magiced into place within the Fae. It would be a dangerous, high risk, and high casualty process, but once completed, would be permanent.

The effects of using the magic of such a magical system would seem very odd when used in the real world. No problems with it working, but it should be a bit bizarre. It should also be unlearnable by non-Fae, without a serious sacrifice on the part of the Mage wishing to learn Fae magic.

In fact, the Fae themselves should be quite bizarre, and difficult to figure out. Think of what the mindset of a creature would be that would rather live in a place where dreams and nightmares can become real, where a stray thought could kill you, a totally unpredictable place,.then in the real world, which at least makes some sense.

Conclusion: No problem if you make them bizarre, in every way you can think of.
Trade or war or such like are fine with the Brownies (and assorted refugees) living in their zone in the Void.
Note: Fae should be able to enter Sorren proper at any point they like, anywhere. Getting back to the Void from anywhere would be more complicated, requiring some portable piece of the true Void, but is theoretically possible. Fae should be able to be just as mysterious as their Sorren myths describe them as being.  

Did I leave anything important out? :-)

Brownie Expert

Edited by: Greybark at: 10/13/02 5:50:58 pm
Artemis
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2002, 08:44:00 »

Some how this was a double post... :|  ...

:D  :D  :D  

To Have Flown With The Phoenix, Is To Have Lived Your Dreams...

Edited by: Artemis at: 10/14/02 4:02:59 pm
Artemis
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 October 2002, 09:02:00 »

OK... thankyou Greybark for your comments. You've cleared up a lot of my questions and concerns.

:D .

Also, thankyou Xarl, for making a from-the-grave appearance. Nice to know you think it's Ok, once sorted out with Greybark. :D . Also - Rationality is a trait found in only the very best of people ;) ...

Now... Tarq... firstly, you don't like the idea of Shapechanging... well, to be perfectly honest this magic does not have to be along the same lines as Sorren magic, as it is part of the Void. So, as Greybark has explained, pretty much anything can happen. Also... the detail. I know that it is in perhaps too much detail, but most of this is due to the fact that some Fae decided to leave the Void (very few) and so the knowledge of magic has been gained from them. So, that is why the magic is as it is.

I'm sorry that you don't like that fact that there is a new magic system, but in the end it has nothing to do with Sorren magic, it doesn't affect it in the slightest. It's not going to be anywhere near as detailed as yours, and probably not advanced upon what is written here. It is simply an element of the Fae that needs to be explained.

Hmmmm... about going in and out of the Void Greybark, I could make it that the Fae are told stories about life outside the Void, and are made to believe that it is a nasty place - also the fact that to return home would be near-impossible, might make them stay where they are, keeping them mythical.

Hmmmmm... so the aspect of magic within magic... perhaps the magic system is seen as a way of controling the Void? Jusat a suggestion, as that would be the reverse to Sorren magic, with Sorren magic changing things in a way considered to be abnormal, and the Fae magic within the Void actually creates some sort of stable environment...

?

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 October 2002, 12:19:00 »

Xarl is the final word on anything magical (except for the Art Veto), as far as I know. Maybe you could work with his concerns?

Brownie Expert

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 October 2002, 16:19:00 »

Dammit, here I was doing the responsibility-dodging dance, and then it gets turned back on me. Cursy. First, we need establishment of the Fae. Then we can talk about the magic.
*winds down the procrastination dance*

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 October 2002, 09:55:00 »

Then, as far as I know, you have a green light for the Fae :) May they grow and prosper!

Brownie Expert

Artemis
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 November 2002, 08:02:00 »

Xarl - establishment of the Fae, if you (please?) read firstly the entry on Jakata the Wise/Crazed, perhaps a little on The Pixies, and then the Origin of the Fae (see people section for Jakata and Races section for the other two), you will perhaps see the reason that this detail is included, due to Jakata being a Pixie. You will probably also see how magic is needed in the Void, to add (uncertain) stability to the land where they live!

Hope that makes some sort of sense... and maybe this Fae Magic will be able to be sorted.

aplexx flickdor

View Profile
Fea
« Reply #25 on: 13 November 2002, 01:22:00 »

im not sure if im allowed to do this but i could use you ideas in my game :-b

No, you're not allowed to advertise here. Further details were removed.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 11/12/02 8:24:53 am
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 13 November 2002, 02:23:00 »

This is what we call "advertisment", boy, and it is not appreciated to try to lure members away, because you're "just starting an own thing". Please refrain from advertisments and similar post like these. Santharia is not here to provide you with members.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
aplexx flickdor

View Profile
Fea
« Reply #27 on: 13 November 2002, 19:39:00 »

okey no problem nvm  

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]