Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Magic Revisions  (Read 21320 times)
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 December 2002, 19:57:00 »

Err... Rayne? Shouldn't we be leaving clerical stuff to Viresse.....? I thought our job was everything but that section....

Another point... you have draconic in two sections.... should get it out of the raw state area.

And on the Xeua.... if anything, the only Brownie school that would fit there is life... the others aren't a part of Xeua, rather are part of the elements.... so, I think that the Brownie magic school in the arcane state area be encompassing all seven Brownie Schools, rather than leave them split up all over the place.... :

Santharia's General Commenter, Magic Guy, and Developer.
Contact at dasson@santharia.com

The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 December 2002, 21:48:00 »

Only moan before I zip my whining about clerical magic is:

Would a Santharian priest(I used the Santerrans as more obvious example) appreciate it to be put on an equal level with mages? A priest thinks he is following his god's will while a mage must look like he's following nothing but using his forces for his own good.
So from a Santharian point of view I don't know if anyone would see priests in the same system like mages and if mages would not have a big question mark over clerical magic because they don't understand how it really works.

Well, only to get my things straight. :)

BTW: Rayne, better leave out the Santerrans, they'll have as well have a different perceiving of their art and I have to work on it some more to make it work... better(than now)

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 December 2002, 22:14:00 »

Just trying to help.. ~_~;;

::deletes all the Cleric stuff::

...Ripples in the Dream Pool...

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 December 2002, 01:51:00 »

@ Art : Clerical spells are much more uncertain so thr areas of achievement would be different form a mages. At least thats what i recall from Virese posting.

About elemental wind spell examples- we do have one, Insubstantiaal shield, and i would love to make more if its ok with dasson and rayne

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 December 2002, 02:21:00 »

I think we probably want to get spell classes done so we know exactly what goes where. As it is, some of the current spells will need to be moves to other elements and such. I think we should try to organize this mess before we start making more spells.

...Ripples in the Dream Pool...

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 05 December 2002, 02:30:00 »

Short note: With "spell examples" I don't mean that we should elaborate more spells now, but that we put what we have into a certain class and just think about how further spells für a certain class could be named, so that we have a direction, e.g. where will we put Wind Walking etc.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 December 2002, 12:52:00 »

Yup, I know.... just wondering if you want them listed now, or wait till you are done commenting on the other elemental classes...?

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 December 2002, 12:58:00 »

You're not listening.
the Brownie Seven Schools of Magic is just a University. That is all.

Brownie Life magic is just one of the subjects. So are elemental magics. So are Latin and Greek, for all I know.

So forget the seven schools! They are completely irrelevant!

Brownie Expert

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 December 2002, 13:08:00 »

Brownie Life magic is just one of the subjects. So are elemental magics. Yes, I know. Subjects are also known as classes. So, each of the seven would be a separate class, no? Just like the other elements.

Now, unless they teach the same type of elemental classes as Ximax(xeua, ecua, earth, water, wind, fire), then they are a separate school. I am listening. Maybe I'm just saying things all complicated like.

The Brownie Seven Schools of Magic is just a University. Yes, I know this. Hence, it is a school in arcane... the arcane state of magic is magic schools that are not taught at Ximax and our at least believed to exist in the world.

There are 6 elemental subjects in the Ximax institute... each of the 6 elements. Just as there are 7 subjects in the Brownie University.

They are not irrelevant. So long as they are magic.

Blarg...

Edited by: Dasson at: 12/4/02 7:20:22 pm
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 December 2002, 13:16:00 »

They *do* teach the same type of elemental classes as Ximax.

That is my whole point.

Brownie Expert

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 December 2002, 13:19:00 »

*blinks*

So the entry on the site has no relavence what-so-ever?

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 December 2002, 13:23:00 »

Concentrate on Ximax and leave all foreign(used by other cultures) types out for now. They'll be based on the same foundation like the Ximaxian classes but as they're taught differently you can't combine them with the system of Ximax.

I mean the elemental classes(+Xeua+Euca) and the theories about arcane magics should give enough room to make any of the other magics in a way work in that system(though not to Ximaxian standards). You just get lost when you try to implement all in one.

Otherwise there's a big deal going on here it seems... good luck! :)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 05 December 2002, 14:29:00 »

First: Let's keep clerical magic out at the moment, we'll have to deal with this later. We can't do all at once. Let's focus on spell categorization, which means spell classes of the Ximaxian Elemental School of Magic. And the first thing should be the Element of Wind.

Short note again concerning example spells according to spellclasses:

Yup, I would like to have the example spells as soon as possible, so that if we make up the spell classes for each element, we already have an idea which spells are allocated to which class. Maybe we should as well do a bit of brainstorming first about what would be typical wind spells and where to put them. And in order to know more about the nature of certain elements, I propose to take a look at the word associations list we've put accumulated quite a while ago, and see if we haven't forgotten anything in our spellclass definitions. These associations of course are all only very rough:

FIRE
desire, longing, power, will, destruction, light, warmth+heat, lust, consumption, passion, anger, aggression, revelation, exposure, offense, adolescence, eating, gold, loins & mouth

WATER
ambiguity, instability, change, force/pressure, relief, draining, trickle, replenishment, youth, drinking, persistence, concealment, silver, eye & belly

EARTH
stability, endurance, strength, cover, protection, compaction, defense, history, middle age, sleeping, rhythm, comfort, copper, chest & heart

WIND
spirit, idea, peace, healing, tranquility, influence, word/language, motion, investigation, uprooting, old age, waking, song, mithril, nose & lungs

XEUÁ
link, bond, connection, support, relationship, hands, symphony, chord, harmony, blood, link

ECUÁ
breaking, scream, dissonance, crack, scissors, solo, open space, urine, tantrum, grey

WEAVING
organize, pattern, focus, shape, distort, pull, repetition, lute, colourful, mind

CLERICAL MAGIC
integrity, intention, devoutness, ability, passion/compassion, symbolic, soul

What I can see e.g. at spells we have already up is for example that at some Wind Spells, wind is identified with invisibility, with transparency as well, with disappearance. Let's say: the ephermeral, so that could be illusion, right. Ok, I'll read the classes again, and see if I can think of something to fill the gaps here and there.

We're at the Wind classes at the moment, so concentrate on those first, please, in order to make additions, proposals etc.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 05 December 2002, 15:18:00 »

Ok, there seems to form a clear picture in my mind concerning the spiritual side of wind spells after having read through the spells and the concepts you've already made (I add some examples). Don't know if you planned to add parts elsewhere (as I haven't read through everything in detail), but here we go, with some more precise ideas:

a) Illusion

- Static Trap (becomes invisible, before it sets off)
- Shadow (makes the mage invisible)
- Pass (new one, makes e.g. a wall disappear temporarily, so that you can walk through it)
- Reflection (new one, mirrors things in the mind of the target, so that he/she thinks to actually see them)

b) Perception

I guess this is an extremely helpful missing link here.

- Sense Aura (identifies beings around the caster)
- Aura Sight (visualizes aura, at least to the mind of the caster, is an improved form of sense aura)
- Clairvoyancy (new one, not a class, but a spell of wind perception I'd say, let's the caster see a glimpse of future, very high level spell of course)
- Remembrance (new one, easier to cast than clarivoyancy, you can cast that mainly on a place as well and see what happened there a while ago)

c) Reconciliation/Concentration (?)

Now this is a trial to find a very general term in order to cover what you've elaborated quite well: Peace, order, stability, tranquility and in the same respect focus of mind and perhaps concentration, all in one. I guess reconciliation (of the elements) in a spiritual sense ("re-inspiring things") could cover that.

- Wind Walking (realigns the motions of the caster so that he/she feels as if he/she is walking on air, thus betraying the elements by "betraying" the caster)
- Comfort (new one, gives spirit back to sad and melancholic people)
- Equate Cár'áll (new one, similar to the typical AD&D spell "Silence", silences all magic by restoring the "natural" cár'áll)

---

Wel, this is just a proposal from my side. Let me know what you think.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/4/02 9:19:38 pm

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 December 2002, 21:31:00 »

Dasson: correct. It is very outdated. It was one of the first entries done on magic in Santharia.

Only the Life Magic part of it still applies, and the purpose of the School: to understand and work with the dangerous Void.

Brownie Expert

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]