Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Magic Revisions: Earth School  (Read 5718 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 03 January 2003, 13:59:00 »

It needs a lot of work. I also need ideas for spells. Help is greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Earth Magic

Spell Class 1: Physical Representation: Physical Alteration
The acts of paralyzing or keeping something still or to temporarily increase one’s strength; to prevent or encourage motion or to physically alter someone or something temporarily.
Spell Examples:
1. Paralyze: A spell that causes the muscles of the target to freeze up so that they are unable to move.
2. Mind Block: The caster creates a block from body to mind such that, even the target may tell themselves to run, the body will not respond.
3. Weariness: Often an alteration of the target’s cár’áll, this inhibits feelings of exhaustion

Spell Class 1: Spiritual Represenation: Mental Intervention
Often this is a means to instill a certain behavior, feeling, or emotion into a target or to rob the target of such. This may indirectly cause damage to the target
Spell Examples:
1. Confidence: Blocking out feelings of fear or apprehension to make the target confident, or even brash and reckless
2. Melancholy: Arising memories of a sorrowful time in the target’s life. The intensity of the spell, while depending a bit on the caster’s level, will also depend on the target’s past experience.

Spell Class 2: Physical Representation: Earth Manipulation
Magic dealing with the construction or destruction of walls, crevices, and other inanimate things using rock, stone, and earth; the manipulation of earth used to construct and destroy.
Spell Examples:
1. Wall: Creates a wall in a viewable area using rock and stone.
2. Burrow: Created a burrow whose size and shape will depend upon the caster’s preference and their level. This can be used in order to make an escape or to cause a pit to form under an opponent.
3. Earthquake: Causes the ground to shake in order to bring about the downfall of things sitting on that ground. A high level spell.

Spell Class 2: Spiritual Representation: Warding
Creation of magical walls or boundaries around places, people, and things to prevent magical intervention; ability to create a spiritual wall or boundary through which spiritual objects or magic cannot pass through.
Spell Examples:
1. Magical Hindrance: The caster creates a spiritual wall around his or her opponent such that no magic can pass through.
2. Spiritual Wall: Creates a wall around a person to prevent them from being affected by spirits or spiritual objects or things.

Spell Class 3: Physical Representation: Thanatosis
Spells that deal with manipulating a body of a dead person or creature and bringing them into unnatural animation; the creation of zombies and other such creatures by controlling the body of a deceased creature.
Spell Examples:
1. Animated Dead: Animating recently dead specimens by manipulating cár’áll. The dead follow orders but have no direct connection with the caster
2. Posession: The Caster’s spirit actually enters the body of a dead person or creature.
3. Indirect Possession: The caster controls a body like a puppeteer would control a puppet.

Spell clas 3: Spiritual Representation: Phasmology
This class deal with communication with spirits and possession over spirits for tasks.
Spell Examples:
1. Interrogation: The Caster calls upon a spirit and forced them to give information they know about something, or usually someone.
2. Guide: The caster calls upon a spirit to guide him or her to a certain place or through an area.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2003, 21:58:00 »

Well, one thing that it looks like you forgot about is that Earth isn't just rock and dirt(as it is most commonly made out to be), but also flora and plantlife as well.

I added some spell ideas.... tried to bring them all up to at least 4.

Didn't manage to finish... as I've gotta go... I'll add some more in later... :  

Spell Ideas:

Spell Class 1: Physical Representation: Physical Alteration
4) Skin of Thorns (causes thorns to sprout from a target's skin, making unarmed attacks more harmful to the assailant than the assailed)
5) Boost Stamina (alters the target's car'all to give feelings of enhanced physical stamina)

Spell Class 1: Spiritual Represenation: Mental Intervention
3) Negative Confidence (lowers a person's confidence and makes them have feelings of worthlessness and weakness)
4) Stay Mind (causes the thinking processes of the mind to halt, making the target about as mentally active as a puppet)

Spell Class 2: Physical Representation: Earth Manipulation
4) Hail of Stone (causes the ground beneath the caster to crack and launch upwards, the launch propelling the rocks to collide with teh target)
5) Cave Ground (causes the ground at the location the caster directs the spell to crumple, and turn to dust. The deepness of this cavity is influenced by the level of the caster and the strength of the casting of the spell)

Spell Class 2: Spiritual Representation: Warding

Spell Class 3: Physical Representation: Thanatosis
4) Instill Spirit (instills the spirit of a dead person into the physical body of another, giving the corpse the thinking processes of an individual, despite being one of the undead. Beware, as some spirits won't heed to the calls of the master, and will go off on their own in their new-found life)

Spell clas 3: Spiritual Representation: Phasmology
3) Nightmare (causes the spirits of the dead to enter the minds of a target, bringing about feelings of suffering, pain, terror, and more)
4) Agent of the Dead (binds the sight of a spirit with that of a caster, so that the caster may see what the spirit sees as he commands it to spy on certain objects or people)

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Edited by: Dasson at: 1/3/03 3:59:58 am
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2003, 22:00:00 »

I don't consider flora and nature to be part of each. In my opinion, that's life magic. Nature doesn't retain the same values and properties that Earth does.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2003, 23:35:00 »

Life magic is taking life from one thing and adding it to another, and various other things along that line (Greybark can correct me if I'm wrong). It's not flora and nature. I mean, such as my skin of thorns spell idea... it's using earth to create the skin, and can be used anywhere, whereas life magic can only be used areas where there is life to draw the energy from....

Now, I don't want this to go about like what happened with if lightning is a part of wind or not... so we should see what Arti thinks about flora being a part of Earth or not.....

:

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2003, 23:40:00 »

hmmmm I kinda thought the skin of thorns thing sounded like lifemagic too.....
Lifemagic=
1. understanding a living things life force.
2. adding to, taking away, or changing that life force or a specific area of it to produce specific results.

However, its hard to say what we'll end up with before it goes through the meat grinder of this forum.

Brownie Expert

Edited by: Greybark at: 1/3/03 5:41:36 am
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2003, 05:01:00 »

Don't know but I took life always as being the grand combination of all elements connected by Xeuá.
So in my mind you need fire, earth, air and water to create something living. But if this is right compared to the cosmology I'm not sure.
But I'd guess Earth mages could do a lot of things with the flora around them because roots go into the earth. But just an idea.

I'd only warn to take to scientific but think more metaphoric. Earth is not what we know to be humus and rock but what the Elves/mages think is dominated through Earth or fire or water or wind.

My 2 pennies. :)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2003, 05:15:00 »

*nods* That was my thoughts about it as well, Koldar.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2003, 07:48:00 »

ok, but there is no creation from nothing, it is all just moving the lifestuff around.
I have gotten less and less picky about lifemagic as time goes on. Feel free to define it as you and Art like. I'll comment if I have a problem, which is not too likely.

Brownie Expert

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2003, 07:53:00 »

Yes, only point I wanted to make that maybe Earth could be very well used to influence life(fire and wind is doing it as well in a way), lifemagic would be still very different.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2003, 09:23:00 »

ok with me however you all want to define it.
**bows**

Brownie Expert

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2003, 18:15:00 »

Ok, we have Earth and Nature, ne? And most people seem inclined to just combine them as one. I really don't think this makes sense. Earth magic deals with stagnancy, the ending of life (hence all the relations with the dead). Nature isn't stagnant. It grows and is ever changing. It moves and bends. Nature deals more with life as a whole, both being born, living, then dying. The two are so very different!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2003, 20:14:00 »

But e.g. trees are strong because they stagnat, or better maintain their resources well!
Earth is not just death but it also might mean the absence of it. I don't think that this is something like nature magic but Earth should imo have also connections to something as longliving as trees and rocks.

I'd not look at it the way that Earth is dead matter and thus cannot interact with life. As I pointed out for Life I think all elements are necessary and so Earth could influence it as well.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2003, 00:35:00 »

***grey listens to the two of you discuss the matter***

Brownie Expert

the Akorn
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2003, 16:17:00 »

Shouldn’t rain of stones be far more devastating to males than females?

"Self-proclaimed squirrel"

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2003, 16:23:00 »

Plants aren't exactly stagnant, becaue they are always changing and growing. Most trees loose all their leaves in the fall. True, they stay in one place, but they grow and change and their branches will carelessly bend in the passing wind, whilst the mountain of earth stands and doesn't move as the wind blow against it. The Earth rarely changes.

Earth meaning the absence of death? The absence of death is over population. o.O;;

Earth isn't necessarily dead matter, but rather it's matter that no longer moves, grows, or changes very quickly or durastically. Life does effect all elements. While water kind of influences the creation of life and wind represents the "being" part of life, Earth seems to represent the end of life, or death.

That's just how I view it. Nature is far too changing and living to be a part of Earth, IMO.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]