Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Cár'áll  (Read 7002 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 30 July 2003, 05:11:00 »

Ok, I tried to make this as simple as easy to understand as I possibly could. Just tell me what to change or fix and I'll do it. Hopefully I'm not completely and utterly wrong.

Cár’áll

Meaning
Cár’áll is a styrásh word meaning “natural astral aura of all things or beings,” though many humans look at it as “magical energy” or “aura” (which is also used in the context of ethics).  Human scholars often use the word cár’áll as a term used in the studies and theories of metaphysics, which, literally translated, means “that which is above life.”

In short, cár’áll is what makes up who a person is: how they look, act, feel, and think. Cár’áll influences our personalities and how we act and see the world around us. Cár’áll effects a person both spiritual and physically. The way a rock is shaped, whether it is hard or brittle, is determined by what kinds of cár’áll make it up. However, cár’áll is not permanent. You can lose cár’áll and add cár’áll, and you can change your cár’áll to make you feel stronger or to maake yourself feel more energized. However, these are only feelings. Cár’áll is not energy. Changing yourself into something you’re not is incredibly difficult, if not impossible. You cannot easily change yourself into a lizard or a fly or a bird, though you can create the illusion that you did.

Composition of Cár’áll
One’s cár’áll is not, by any means, made up of one homogeneous mixture. Each cár’áll is composed of different elements that make them up. It is the diversity of each person’s cár’áll that gives them distinct characteristics and different personalities. It’s what makes everyone look and feel different from anyone else. It is the altering (the expanding, contracting, and moving around) of these elements within the cár’áll that the system of magic is built. There are four different elements of which the cár’áll is composed of, relating to the four types of Elemental mage.

• Wind: Mages of Wind can only alter the Wind cár’áll in their cár’áll or the cár’áll of others. Some of the qualities of Wind include transparency and movement (physical), as well as matters of the mind (spiritual). For more information on the spells and qualities of Wind, see the Wind Magic Entry.

• Water: Mages of Water can only alter the Water cár’áll in their cár’áll or the cár’áll of others. One of the most prominent qualities is change, especially when it comes to emotion (spiritual). Water can also be manipulated as an element itself (physical). Water is meant to be an element symbolizing Wind attempting to act more as Earth. For more information on the spells and qualities of Water, see the Water Magic Entry.

• Fire: Mages of Fire can only alter the Fire cár’áll in their cár’áll or the cár’áll of others. Fire is often associated with compassion, love, and urges of all kinds (spiritual) and also deals with the manipulation of actual fire (physical). Fire is one of the most chaotic elements of the four, and represents Earth trying to be more like Wind. For more information on the spells and qualities of Fire, see the Fire Magic Entry.

• Earth: Mages of Earth can only alter the Earth cár’áll in their cár’áll or the cár’áll of others. Stagnancy is the most prominent Earth property. Things that can be made unchanged like emotions (spiritual), also relate to this element, but also dealing with actual properties of the earth, like hardness and sometimes the exhibition of growth (physical). For more information on the spells and qualities of Earth, see the Earth Magic Entry.

Manipulation
Cár’áll is held together by a number of flexible links called Xueá, and often times these links can be used to manipulate the cár’áll. Pulling on these links, making them, and moving them is what allows mages to cast spells. The ways in which cár’áll is manipulated it what determines a spell’s sphere. Each element has three spheres, which are further separated into physical and spiritual classes, called spell classes. The different spheres manipulate the cár’áll differently:

• First Sphere: The first sphere manipulates the cár’áll by contracting or expanding the cár’áll  of the element you want to make more or less influential on the target of the spell. However, the amount of cár’áll does not change, but the more the cár’áll is expanded, the greater the influence that element has on the target. Xueá (links) are like elastic that the mage can stretch as he or she wishes to get a desired effect.

• Second Sphere: The third sphere effects gathering up scattered cár’áll to make them more influential to the overall cár’áll. In a target’s cár’áll, the cár’áll of each element is often scattered throughout, and each piece only holds a limited influence. However, when the pieces are gathered together and combined, they have greater focus in the overall cár’áll.

• Third Sphere: The second sphere deals with adding or subtracting actual cár’áll of a certain element to make the element less or more apparent in the target. This deals with indirectly making Xueá (links) between the original cár’áll and the new cár’áll and, in doing so, make the element more influential and get a desired effect. The cár’áll connects like hands that can grab on to each other or break apart. The kind of elemental cár’áll, be it physical or spiritual, will influence the target in different ways. By connecting of ‘covering’ a person’s cár’áll with one’s spirit, it is possible to gain information on that person based on their cár’áll.

Cár’áll, as thus far may be clear, is very affected by Xeuá, or the links that connect them. The breaking of these links (called Ecuá) can also affect the cár’áll a great deal. Those who break and create links (Xeuá and Ecuá Mages) are classed under the two Archschools. Such schools are extremely powerful in their ability to be able to create and destroy things. If enough of one’s links are broken, one may suffer great trauma or even death, While Xeuá mages have the great ability to summon things and create things by making connections between different amounts of elemental cár’áll.

Weavers, too, use cár’áll, but the way in which they are able to use cár’áll and Xeuá and Ecuá links is rather extraordinary. Weavers, instead of having to experiment and do connections one by one, have a set pattern in their head of how cár’áll connects or breaks in order to create in effect. In this respect, magic tailors itself to the mage and the desire of the mage instead of the mage having to tailor him or herself to the magic. Because of this pattern, weavers are able to use magic with relative ease, and without having to utter spells or incantations. Because of their ease with magic, Weavers are incredibly powerful.
[Note: You might consider using a little chart to help people understand how the magic system is broken down. Something like this, only, perhaps a bit more detailed:
)

Usage
Different mages use cár’áll differently. The way Elemental Mages use cár’áll has already been explained, but the differences in technique differ even between humans and elves. Elves have an instinctive desire to see how things work, how different things can be put together to make something new. For elven mages, magic is a part of their life and not often something they can learn or study, but rather discover. For this reason, elves are more likely to be Xeuá mages, or mages that make connections or links between different kinds of cár’áll to create something. Elves are not ones to categorize spells, but see them for what they are and what they do without feeling the need to organize spells into different sects based on what they can do or how they work.

While elves are more inclined to understand the way of nature, how the world around them works and functions, humans try to capture things, to find terms and explanations for things instead of being happy to just except that some things merely are. They prefer the result rather than path it takes to get there. Thus, while Elves constantly desire to find new ways and discover how things work, most humans are content to merely follow the set formula that they’re given without questioning how it’s all done. For this reason, Humans are more likely to be Elemental mages, or mages who cast magic to gain an effect. Elemental Magic is more or less something for beginners because it is fairly easy to do. Its merely following a set pattern and gaining a result. Most elves are not happy with just learning the formula, but have more of a desire to learn how it all works, how the formula is reached and why things affect the spell in the manner that they do. The reagents in magic are primarily for humans, who need to be able to visualize things.

So Humans, in the manner that they deal with understanding of nature and magic as a whole, have difficulty because they have to learn bit by bit what most elves understand naturally: the connection of things and the way the world works transcending humans explanations.

Cár’áll is the base of most kinds of magic, save those relating to belief (like clerical magic). The amount of the different amounts of cár’áll in something is what gives it its properties and qualities. Xeua connects all the cár’áll inside of each being and object. Xeuá gives something shape and form. (Read more about Xeuá in the Magic Entry.) Xeuá and Ecuá mages deal mostly with the manipulation of Xeuá (links) between the cár’áll. By connecting of severing a link or connection between cár’áll, they can gain a certain effect.

Weavers are a unique and extremely rare type of mage, who has incredible powers to create and destroy. While Xeuá and Ecuá mages have to carefully connect or disconnect the links between cár’áll to get a desired effect, the Weaver has a set pattern in their mind, and the processes that most mages have to go through to get their effect is tailored for the Weavers. Weavers have the most ease and skill in their manipulation of cár’áll.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 9/14/03 22:43

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2003, 07:10:00 »

Blehg, it's 6:00am, I haven't slept, so my response may or may not be accurate. Anyways, as this is relating to car'all, we'll mostly be looking for Arti's response anyways. :)

It's not completely and utterly wrong, to clear that fear up. ;)

---

Well, the first thing that caught my eye is "Car'all is not energy." That statement is contradicting the Magic Overview entry, where it is stated that Car'all is a universal energy.

And yes, you can change yourself into a bird, or whatever. Though elemental/xeua/ecua magi cannot do that, only raw magi, and weavers, who both deal with manipulating the form of the car'all not the content. Very difficult, yes, but not impossible. I have ideas for a raw school of magic entry that I have yet to write up detailing what Arti hinted at in his Magic Overview and Schools of Magic entries.

That brings me to another point. Xeua is not form. It is connection. Raw is form. A raw mage goes for the way things are set up in the connection. Say you have a bridge connecting two pieces of land. An elemental mage can make one piece of land grow larger, or shrink, or whatever. A Xeua mage can make the bridge longer or shorter, or create a new bridge to another island somewhere else. An Ecua mage can destroy the bridges. A raw mage on the other hand can change what island is at what end of the bridge, what shape the islands and bridges form, etc. The former, the changing what island is at what end, is how a raw mage manipulates the form of something, changing from human to bird, by substituting the wind property of idea of human with idea of bird.

Next... you have the second and third spheres mixed up. Focusing and moving and all that is the second, not third. :)  But then again, those two spheres are very similar... you can't create new car'all in something without moving that car'all to that something. :  

Also, what you have listed as the second, cannot remove car'all. It can create and re-create, no more.

Another point. Natural elven magic differs from natural human magic. In the current Car'all entry, Tarq detailed that elves tend to use their own car'all to do things (if put into Ximaxian system, this would be mostly the third sphere, creating car'all by giving an object a portion of their own car'all), whereas humans use the car'all of other things, such as extracting from staves and other foci, as they find that easier than using their own car'all. Also, it is the humans who experiment. Elves have no need to, nor do they have a need for a system; magic comes naturally to them, they don't need spells or a system, they just do it. Humans need the system, but they also experiment, trying to find out how to add to the system, because they can't do magic naturally like the elves. The system came about through experimentation with formulas and such.

You don't mention raw magi at all in this entry. They control the same form of magic as the weavers, raw magic, but do it in a spell way, rather than the weavers who weave together strands of magic (the bag of earlier examples, they weave the strands together) to make the form of something, or even create something entirely new.

Now, this might be easy to understand for us magic folk, but from what I see it would take a bit of contemplating for an unexperienced mage newbies to understand. Try incorporating the bag example that Arti used in the Magic Overview, and that I constantly refer to, as I think that is the clearest way to imagine what car'all is, the whole form and content deal.

Also, I find a lot of this to simply be a restatement of the car'all information in the Magic Overview, but that might just be me. :rolleyes  I guess it's supposed to be something like that more of less anyhow.

Bah, if I seemed uptight at all in that response... it's 'cause I'm tired. :|  

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2003, 07:40:00 »

Ok, It's 6:30 and I haven't slept and I'm grumpy. So, that being said...

First paragraph: We'll check with Arti about the energy thing. I'm unsure about that.

Second: Though I made that clear, but I'll work on making it easier.

Third paragraph: Read it again. I never said Xeuá was form, so I'm not even going to bother reading more than the first two sentences of that paragraph.

Fourth: I talked to Arti about this.

Fifth: Not a paragraph, seems to be similar to the last, not bothering reading it.

Sixth: Not worth mentioning. That's something. I'm talking about processes, not natural magic ability.

Seventh: Raw Magic is Weaving magic. No use reading the rest of that paragraph..

Eighth: I'd rather ask a newbie before I begin throwing in repetitions.

Nineth: Read it again.

That was easier than I expected..

Again, I'm grumpy.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
SmurfStormcrow

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2003, 16:01:00 »

Umm... Am I the only one who can't see anything aside from Rayne's last thing, which was a count of numbers and comments that I can't understand?

Edited.

Crazy. It works now. That was strange.

Stormcrow
Psychotic Wizard-Type

Edited by: SmurfStormcrow at: 7/30/03 7:59
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2003, 13:26:00 »

Ok, just read what you have so far, Rayne.... Good to finally see someone else try to cover this entry, this way it's easier to see what came across properly during our discussions on ICQ and on the board and we can also determine what still needs some refining here and there;)  

Note: This is a reply directly to the first post only. Need to check Dasson's post and your reply in more detail, Rayne, for further comments in this respect. Hope the comments below give you some further ideas;)

So let's start:

Meaning
We should try to think in entry sections, so I propose (when the entry is completely done) to add an Overview and to use short names for the section titles. I would name the first section for example simply "Meaning".

I think I could put in a longer "sophisticated" quote of some wise men at the first section. Would fit quite well I guess.

Composition of Cár'áll
At the second section you say "cár’áll has different kinds of cár’áll that make them up" - this surely is irritating for someone trying to understand Cár'áll, cause you suggest that it consists of itself. The same applies to you saying that there are "kinds of cár’áll", which is also slightly irritating (suggesting that there are different types of cár'áll like there are different types of cars). Proposal: simply call the second section "Composition of Cár'áll", and say that Cár'áll consists of components (not of cár'áll), the elements, and these elements are set in proportion to each other.

Manipulation
You say "Pulling on these links, making them, and moving them is what allows mages to cast spells." I think after our last talk it should be clearer now that what you describe is basically the way of Xeuá magic. Elemental mages have indirect ways, maybe you can put our discussed "hands" example in here. Oh, and don't forget to mention Ecuá as well, and maybe also a glimpse on what Weavers do with cár'áll.

The chart BTW is more or less exactly what we have in the Schools of Magic as well, so theoretically we could use that one here as well to go with the entry.

Usage
Hmmm... Some sentences here also sound a bit weird and actually might lead the reader at the wrong track. I guess we had a bit of a discussion about human/elven differences concerning magic after you wrote these lines. So I summarize from our discussion back then:

- For elven mages magic is part of their life, nothing they can learn and study.
- They also would never categorize spells by themselves.
-  Elves are more those guys, who try to understand the way of nature, while humans always try to capture things, to find terms and explanations.
- Therefore elves are much more likely to be Xeuá and Weaver mages than elemental ones. Or let's say, they are primarily Xeuá mages.
- Elemental Magic (human) is more or less something for the beginners, those who don't really know how things are connected in life and nature in general. This is more or less magic of reproducing an effect, not about understanding it really. You can solve a mathematical problem if you know the formulas, but that doesn't mean you understand it.
- So the humans with their kind of dealing with magic try to learn bit by bit what the elves understand much better, the connecting of the things.
- The whole reagents thing is basically human as well therefore.
- They need to visualize things etc.

I posted the things above to show you the difference to sentences you wrote like "most humans are content to merely follow the set formula that they’re given without questioning how it’s all done" - well, that's only partly true. Of course humans (and especially humans) try to find out: what is cár'áll, how does it work, what are its components and how can they manipulated as efficiently as possible. What I wanted to point out as well was that there is a difference between "understandings". An elf apprehends things without needing terms for them, or the elf uses mythical terms. So the humans scholars are not content with following formulas, but they want to get the technical bits out of everything. Think for example about a picture drawn by a famous artist like Picasso... or Faugar for example.. *hehe* While the scholars would say: Yes, this picture is from this era, influenced by XYZ, made with the typical material at this time, representing a certain kind/syle of art very well etc. If such a scholar would want to draw a picture, he'd only see the technical side of it: (he'd say to himself: I want to draw cubism, using oil, I want to show the simplictity of life by reducing the pic to simply forms etc.) That's human (academical magic). However, an artist trusts mainly his feelings. He picks the material what he feels is good for the pic, and without thinking draws his emotions. And though both approaches may result in a picture of oil cubism reflecting the simplicity of life, each one did it his way. The elf is the "magical artist", And he won't search on hoe he can approve the pic by studying techniques, but by looking again and again at his pic, to find out what could be done better. That's how an elf improves his magic.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/4/03 21:29

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2003, 15:09:00 »

Ok, I think I got most of it and changed things hopefully correctly. The only thing I don't have is a quote from a wise man on cár'áll....

Hey Arti... ^_^ ... You're a wise man. Can I have a few words, perhaps, sir? ::gets her quill and bit of parchment ready!::

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2003, 15:44:00 »

Hmm.... how aobut a quote form the wandering mage SIlfer Darkflare, would that suffice?

"For a human, the way to learn car'all is to follow a road, straight as an arrow, towards his or her goal. The elves, however, do not see a road. They see a forest, great and mysterious, to be explored and seen."

BTW, Rayne: Orcs and dwarves, how do they use car'all?

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2003, 01:08:00 »

Orcs use a belief system: no cár'áll usage there at all. Dwarves don't commonly use magic, and when they do, it's belief. Again, not actual manipulation of cár'áll.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2003, 05:11:00 »

I'm not diving into this thread,I just read the beginning...
But in the first paragraph are two things I stumbled over:

" Cár’áll is a styrásh word meaning “natural astral aura of all things or beings,” though many humans look at it as “magical energy” or “aura” (which is also used in the context of ethics). Human scholars often use the word cár’áll as a term used in the studies and theories of metaphysics, which, literally translated, means “that which is above life.”

astral: What is the exact meaning here? Santharians have a different approach to stars, being ripped of  pieces of Injera.

metaphysics: Do we have physics here in Caelereth? Not labeled as we understand it in RL, it is more called "the laws of nature" or such, so there is no metaphysic either. I think there is just another expression needed here.

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2003, 01:55:00 »

@Talia first, energy things coming later:

Indeed, the astral reference needs some explanation. It's true that stars have a different meaning in Santharina than here on earth, and now - when I look at my definition of Cár'áll I made quiiiite a while ago, it's obvious to me what I meant witn "astral aura", especially in the light of "ethics".

So here's the explanation in detail. Remember that we defined stars being crystals in fact, as ripped pieces of the Injèrá. And the Injèrá is the creation of Foiros. Though Foiros is still on the site as "God of Justice", this is not very accurate anymore (see Armeros entry, he's God of Justice now). We'll have to redefine Foiros to the God of Virtues, I think. Just read this part of the Foiros entry concerning the Injèrá:

"But the fires on the earth consumed most of Jeyriall's work and the flames of the sun were carried away by the winds. Thus Foiros banned the fires from the surface and hid them in the depths of the Underworlds, and he forged a crystal cage for the flames of the eternal light in the sky with the gems he took from the proud creations of Urtengor. The encaged ball was named the sun by the humans and the Injèra (guide) by the elves and it stood unmovingly high above all other things. With His creation of the Injèrá Foiros not only created an image of Avá the Beautiful to the world, of Her completeness, eternal being, immortality and Her uncompared vividness which shows in Her constantly changing Thoughts of the everlasting Dream. The encaged Injèrá is also a sign of the virtues for the races which are required to achieve and maintain inner equilibrum and beauty in order to resemble the Mother of All, and these main virtues are Honesty, Compassion, Humility and finally Love."

Now the stars are ripped of parts of this virtuous creation of the Injèrá, and it seems quite logical to mee that the stars represent virtues (bigger stars represent the most important virtues). We also have a nice cosmological explanation her - you can see the stars only at night, when the cloak of Coór engulfs them. They are guides at the "dark side of life" if you want, just like the Injèrá during daytime.

Concept needs some refinement, though. However, this explains the ethical importance of the stars.

Now "natural astral aura of all things or beings" refers to the cosomological concept that goodness ("being good" in an ethical sense) is a reflection of the stars somehow - an "astral energy".

You might call it "karma" on earth here if you want and see the old Greek reflected here: "mens sana in corpore sano" based on the idea that the sun represents the good and the beautiful at the same time - and ethical and aesthetical sign.

Be careful with cár'áll/karma quantifications, though, as they won't help you much here: 40% spirit, 10% earth etc. (that depends on the nature of the object, and the equilibrum within it; so a human is per se more water oriented, you know, so his karma needs more water etc.). The connections between karma and cár'áll are not an easy thing to describe, and that's mainly a philosophical question raised in ethical discussions. I mainly wanted to point out where this astral-connection came from. You can mention this ethical part in your entry, however - if I managed to make myself clear enough, that is.

Concerning "metaphysics", Talia: In the dictionary table you find the explanation "the natural magical aura of things, also: the metaphysics [lit. the living / above]". So as you can see the literary translation is "the living / above" (in the ethical sense = that, what is good behind our doings; and in a metaphysical sense: that what is beyond our comprehension, as Artistotle put it; the books he wrote on such issues were simply put after the books for "Physics", and therefore named "Metaphysics" = "After Physics" BTW). I think the basic Greek meaning of "metaphysics" (in both explanations) is contained in the word "cár'áll". And though it is correct that we don't really have "Physicians" in Santharia, I personally think that the word metaphysics (independent from the physics) has always been synonymous to the "science of transcendency" and the unexplainable in the philosophicial sense and is thoroughly embedded in western culture, so that its origins aren't really questioned anymore. I guess therefore that the word itself can still be used in the Santharian context to represent scholars who deal with the "supernatural" if you want to call it that way (and aside from that also has the initial ethical meaning the way we use it).  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2003, 10:25:00 »

o.o;;

::doesn't know what to do!::

Should the quote be changed? Should I try to add some explanation to the quote?

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2003, 10:48:00 »

*notices the Bard isn't around*
*gets indignant on her behalf*

Yes there are too Dwarven wizards! Their approach to magic... to steal Silfer's idea, humans have a road, elves have their forest... dwarves see magic as just a specialized tool for working with the universe. A blacksmith's hammer is a farmer's plow is a miner's pickaxe is a wizard's mind, and just like any of these pursuits, magic to dwarves is a thing of careful process. A+B+C-D=fireball. Dwarven wizards are not reknowned for the creativity that marks elven sorcerors, or the power that dances in the hands of human magi, but rather for dependability. If a dwarven wizard says he can strip the iron from a lump of rock in a minute, he won't be a second more or less. While a human might try to supercharge a spell to utterly wipe out a foe, and an elf might try to go about the spell in a completely new way, a dwarf will wear his enemy down with a constant, unending stream of magical doom, knowing that sooner or later, the foe'll make a mistake, and their attack will be there to make sure there's not time for a second one...

So yeah. There are dwarf wizards. How dare you be so unthinkingly stereotypical. Tsk tsk.

*ceases to channel Bard*

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Tower, Elder of the Magic Forum, Master of RP Sorcery and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a gilded hemmhoroid, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest pure text sig in Santharia.
Xarlian Quote Of The Moment
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons. And make super-lemons.
No Longer Master of the Magic Forum, but still basically dominate the place. All bribes to xarl@santharia.com

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2003, 12:15:00 »

Not to mention that all elemental magic uses car'all... so we need an explanation for the orcs as well... maybe they see magic as something used only for destruction, or whatever?

BTW, Xarl - I love your drawves explanation.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2003, 12:36:00 »

Hey, Arti told me that Dwarves don't use Elemental magic, that their magic is based on a belief system. Thus, they don't use cár'áll! The same for orcs: they also get their magic from belief in some god and don't use elemental magic.

Mrow.

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2003, 12:41:00 »

Orc and dwarves should have elemental magi-i dont see why not... they might be rare, but still exitant.

Rayne, dear, do you have any acess to IM while on that laptop? Because I have been REALLY trying to catch you online, with zero sucess rate...  

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]