Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Earthquake Spell  (Read 8724 times)
Kikhku

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 April 2004, 18:09:00 »

Rayne, you're so right o.o;

Dear Beth.....

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 April 2004, 18:46:00 »

::gives Kik a hug and puts a cerubell  in his hair::

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 April 2004, 19:30:00 »

Cerubell?... ::rings it just to bug her::

Dear Beth.....

Arcuar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 April 2004, 14:32:00 »

*Rings his own Cerubell on his Santa Hat Rayne gave him* In other news: Off topic! We're discussing a new Spell, not Cerubells and idiocy (Did I spell that right?)

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 April 2004, 14:44:00 »

Dum di dum.. the madge shouldn't have to infuse his own cár'll into the ground to create the spell. He merely needs to cause an imbalance in the cár'áll somehow, perhaps by searating two parts of teh cár'á, preferably opposite parts, to such extreme that the cár'áll has a rubber band effect, pulling the opposite oún which such strength that the ground itself moves.

But I don't know. What does Silfer think?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 April 2004, 15:45:00 »

Well, physics time (I am inspired by a site about the flaws of physics in movies):

Normal earthquakes are caused by VEERY large-scale movements of the continental plates ob the earth's surface. I assume you know how. Now, we want a small, local scaled earthquake that doesn't turn this into The Matrix or something, nor kill the caster... soo...

The only thing I can think of, is if the caster of this spell concentrates on a given area of earth, and randomly shifts the balance of Earth car'all in it. To illustrate, we assume that a)This spell will be used to turn buildings into rubble, and b) That the ground in a ten ped circle is uniform when it comes to the earth car'all in it.

Now, the mage starts casting, and shifts the balance, making one area some say 20 peds UNDER the ground level very little earth. (Makes the earthern part of the ground's car'all there passive, basically leting the other three grow in dominance while staying relative to eachother (If we had 70% earth, and 10% of each of the other, we will after the spell have say 10% earth, and 30 of each of the other)) This will cause the block of earth OVER the affected area to sink down, breaking in the process. Say a building stands over it, that building won't stand after the effect.

Now, to make this a continous spell: The mage continues, making the area he amde "soft", hard again (reverse the above, and add soem more) . This would, IMHO, cause the ground to level back up, causing more distruction.

Less uniform, this can be done at random places all over our ten ped raius, causing a lot of small breaks and cracks. Thus, objective achieved, building leveled.

Of course, not for free. This will be a spell of the 11th level, or we are Matrix. (Revolutions ;)     ) Secondly, it will drain the caster most severely, and require time to cast, (I won't have it for combat use, at least not in melee combat) Thirdly, I propose the mage has to be what, say 100 peds from the area he is going to affect.

And finally, one can make it go in a line rather than a circle, but it would require perhpas an extra reagent to stabilize the spell to stay in line.

Yes, and no aftershock, for aftershock is caused due to the movement of continental plates, on a LARGE scale.

I thank thee for your time,

Edited by: Silfer Darkflare at: 4/18/04 0:13

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 April 2004, 06:03:00 »

Hmm... I know someone's ought to kill me for this, but couldn't the same concept be used for:

1) Small & random volcanic eruptions: (only altering stuff Silfer wrote)

The mage starts lowering the earth car'all of a little area inscribed in some sort of a mental circle (so that the car'all doesn't try to diffuse, for the lack of a better term, and become balanced again. perhaps another spell to keep the car'all proportion of the surrounding area constant?) while keeping the water and wind parts stable. Thus, the fire part has to increase at the same to "re-fill" the car'all bag.

The same effect could be achieved by preventing anything but the fire portion to increase while imbuing that area with more fire car'all. But i have the feeling that this may require raw magic. (raw magic- instead of keeping everything constant, a mage could continue pumping in more fire)

Anyway as the fire car'all grows in dominance, the mage could continue to lower the earth car'all of the surroundings - slowly making his way up in spiral from the spot he began. Due to the excess amount of fire in the lower part's car'all  (the mage continues generate the same thing below) and the lack of earth above, the fire too slowly starts to make its way up in that spiral tunnel. Once the path is cleared the mage could basically just continue to work with the lower area, and the rest will follow automatically until he gives the ground a chance to balance itself.

2) creating small lava pools: perhaps by lowering the wind and water part (or perhaps the wind and the earth) the ground below could turn into hot molten lava. Due to the heat generated below the earth above that spot starts to melt and sink down.

3) okay i know this is a bit far-fetched but... what if one drastically decreased everything but the wind car'all of an area (lets say a ped below ground level) would that create some sort of an 'earth-free' layer? think of oil and water, how they don't mix. Then by forcing that wind car'all up (if the caster lets it remain stable / become 'air' / get hindered by earth the ground above will simply collapse. Like digging a hole in the sand) the mage could then levitate or raise the portion of the ground above the wind layer?

anyway... try not to kill me...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 April 2004, 06:12:00 »

Well, I won't kill you just yet, Coren. Your method is in general workable, but would need a whole host of mages to do it.

You see *dum di dum* a wind mage can only manipulate wind car'all, an earth mage can only manipulate earth car'all, and so on. Now, if you LOWER earth in something, the other three will grow by 1/3 of the earth car'all lowered. You can't use an earth mage to increase fire car'all specifically.

As for the third option of yours, if somethign is wind, it is wind, and will be "non-existant". You'll fall trough it, and so will the block of earth over it.

Levitating it, however... I don't see how you could do that..

Ailin Ioeil Seafra Cyeall

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 April 2004, 09:36:00 »

Okay, so the layer is almost wind now. By continuing to force that wind to remain active (swirl around itself, general direction upwards) then you don't give the ground a chance to fall down. Think of keeping a tissue in the air by blowing air under it

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 April 2004, 11:05:00 »

Yeah, that should work, but would require quite soem power.

HuunBerbar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 April 2004, 12:40:00 »

If you compacted the earth, theoretically the pressure could cause enough heat to cause the rock to melt, but that would take HUGE amounts of concentration, it would be an archmag-ish spell.

M'hmm

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 20 April 2004, 13:17:00 »

A few notes from my side: The way Silfer put it is quite ok, even though the explanations given here obviously resemble more like what our physics teacher always tried to explain;)

Simply put from my point of view: An earthquake spell is as earth as earth can be, forget about wind cár'áll and whatever. Sure, theoretically you can achieve indirect results by manipulating other elements as well, but that's definitely not needed here. An earthquake spell for sure belongs to the Physical Representation of Sphere II of the Earth School, and that means Application and Initiation of Elemental Energies. As Silfer already stated all that is required here is to change the dominance of the earth cár'áll at the solid ground or move it around, and that's it. This explanation is very logical to me, so I'd suggest to adjust the entry in this direction.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Arcuar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 May 2004, 02:16:00 »

Sorry for my lang absence here. I will now completely modify the Spell to suit the explanation you gave. I thank you for your patience.

Arcuar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2004, 13:41:00 »

Could someone please look this over? I've redone it.

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2004, 03:22:00 »

Well, the explanation can stay... although you should perhaps try to be more specific, as it will help to define the effects of the spell. (See Arti's post and mine here). Secondly, there is, as I already said, no aftershock, as you move the earth locally. If there is an aftershock, it would perhaps be something like 50 peds, and I am generous here.

Also, I doubt the usability of this spell if you need to be in the middle of the quake you attempt to conjure. As this is a small and local earthquake, give the caster some range increasing with level.

Tis all for now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]