Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Poof. Hows about that Ximax Government, eh?  (Read 3654 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 28 May 2004, 22:35:00 »

Howdy-ho, peeps. This doesn't belong in its own entry, but perhaps should be appended to the Ximax entry.

The Magical Academy has its own form of government, distinct from that of the surrounding city, that prides itself on dating back to the Founding itself.

Since the days of Ximan, the Conclave has been the ruling body of the Academy. It is composed of the (we seriously need to finalize the number of towers.) Archmagi, one to each of the major Towers. Of these assembled (Eleven's the operative number. It is not in any way bearing on reality, but this looks stupid with a () wherever I should have a number.) eleven, the greatest among them in magical skill is granted the title of Archmagus of Ximax, the leader of the Conclave. This post bears only two priveleges, however: the first is that in the event of a deadlocked Conclave due to an abstension or some such, the High Archmage casts the deciding vote. The second is that it is the Archmagus of Ximax that represents the Academy in whatever civic function it is required: it is the High Archmagus who presides at the meetings of the Guild Council that governs Ximax, as it is the High Archmagus' envoy that represents the Wizards' School at the Court of Santhros.

Beneath the Conclave lie the Regencies. As in many forms of government, the Ximaxians provide both for increased management potential and replacement ability in the form of the Regency. Each of the Archmagi has a Regent under him or her, whose function is something akin to that of an assistant. Archmagi who consider their research an overwhelming priority have been known to let their Regents perform the majority of the day-to-day running of their Towers, and those who prefer the hands-on management of their portion of the Ximaxian beuracracy have been known to leave their duties as Wardmasters to their understudies. The Regency, however, has a task more important than that of simply aiding an Archmage; in the event of an Archmage's demise, it is that Archmage's Regent who will take up the staff of their Tower. Early in the history of Ximax, a Regent was only expected to hold the post of Archmage until a suitable replacement could be found, but over the years this tradition has been shifted to the point only once in the last three centuries has a Regent not been appointed the new Archmage after their master's demise.

Vague, yes. Put up late, yes. Needed to be said, yes. Needs to be said better, also yes. However, it's a useful core of information.

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2004, 03:12:00 »

Looks fine to me.  I don't think I see any problems with it.  

I'm quite sure that the number of Archmagi will be 6.  I think it's pretty much been decided already that Ximax will have 6 towers that each represent a school of magic, as well as several other towers that perform roles not directly related to the teaching of magic (and thus most likely won't have their own Archmagi).  

Kikhku

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2004, 12:58:00 »

Don't make the archmagus one of the archmagi if we choose to have six archmages.  If we do, then we'll only have six rulers of ximax and the tiebreaking vote won't matter at all.  Maybe have the archmagus as a figurehead.  He'll be the one to call order to meetings and keep order.  He'll have the tiebreaking vote, but he won't vote normally.  

He could be chosen by the orb (that still exists, right?).  

Let's get a chain of command going too.  ATM we have

Archmagus (?)
       |
Arch mages x6
       |
  Regent x6

Below the regent, why not split the staff into a few parts.  Each tower could have a head of teaching and research directly under the Regent.  A hands-on teacher archmage would focus on the teaching staff while his Regent took care of the research side, and an archmage wrapped up in research would head the research side while his Regent worked with the teachers.  

They could also have other staffs with other functions.  Put the heads of those staffs together along with the archmage and regent of the tower, and you have The <Insert color here> Council.  

IMO, we don't need a page on each of the staff, just a flow chart.  The names should be self explanitory.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2004, 14:13:00 »

Problem: what does the High Archmagus do, then? Council's the main point of Ximax; you can't have any one person in charge, lest major nastiness occur. Paranoia and caution are institutional arts, thanks to the original nature of the Academy.

My view: High Archmagus is one of the six; his vote counts for two, lessay, and still has tiebreaker potential.

Ohohohoh. There are two Orbs. One, the Orb of Bluestride, would be a particularly bad choice; much as Xarl was awesome, a bit of his spirit can't help but be alienated from the nessecities of the moment. The Orb of Ximax is the nasty-as-all-hell sphere of awe-inspiring magical power that Ximax was founded to control, and indirectly it does choose the High Archmage; it has, been since the creation of the school, been of paramount importance that the Orb stay protected, and as such it's the archmage best at keeping the Orb shielded who gets the post of High Archmage, incidentally bringing the number of votes up to seven, ergo awesomeness.

Beyond the Regency, though, there's really not much in the way of government... you've got the teachers of the various divisions of the tower, they make their various requests/demands to the Regent or the Archmage, and happiness is reached.

This brings up some trouble, though. Who runs the other towers? Gardens, Hospital, Experimental, etk?

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2004, 14:35:00 »

Responsibility could be split up further down, that wouldn't be a problem.

I tend to agree with Kik here though, Xarl. Seven is a magical number, the votebreaking would work - he would not vote otherwise - and I think he has lots and lots of work. His new civic functions, his watching over the orb, he has to oversee now all other six towers as well and the rest of the academy. Not much time to study magic left, I would say.  And he is the one who may never leave Ximax?

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 5/29/04 22:39

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2004, 15:11:00 »

7 Archmagi?  Hmm....this might get a little tricky.  Right now, I think we've always had the Archmagi housed at the top of their towers.  If there are 7 Archmagi, where is the 7th housed?  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2004, 16:47:00 »

That's right, that may cause a problem - maybe he lives with every of the six other archmagi for two months ? ;)  Just joking!

Well, I can't remember the discussion about the dome which shields the orb (to lazy now to look for it), was it inhabitable or could we place the apartement of the archmage there and a meeting room for the archmagi on top? There he could overse hisduty guarding it better, maybe.
Not that insist on that ;)  

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2004, 21:42:00 »

As the subject says: Pobbem.

For one: If we're going with the numbers of import, the old number works better. Eleven... one less than the sacred Twelve, fitting for the magi one degree less than the sacred Twelve.

For two: I see some of the simplicity of the High Archmage being number seven. Where the hell he goes is a good question... the Sheild Dome Tower isn't happening for the simple reason building something on top of the Sheild Dome, leave alone stationing the most powerful Archmage on top of it, would result in some nastiness. (I.E. bricks spontaneously combusting/gaining intelligence and demanding voting rights/crawling away and doing unspeakable things to nearby masonry.)
The entire school, from the beginning, was founded for the express purpose of sitting on top of a magical volcano, and building something in the caldera=probably a bad idea.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2004, 00:25:00 »

Well, as long as the Caldera is quiet it is  a nice place to be! :lol   - at least some of the Calderas I know!

Six archmagi are coming fromthe six 'Magical elements' if we had another 5, over which towers should they reside? The outer towers are not magical, history, myths, science and the lot. They need surely kind of head as well, but then we have up to 13 archmages (or more?)

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2004, 15:10:00 »

"(I.E. bricks spontaneously combusting/gaining intelligence and demanding voting rights/crawling away and doing unspeakable things to nearby masonry.)"

Thank you Terry Pratchett

How about housing the seventh archmage in whichever tower he came from?  The top of each tower could be reserved for an archmagus, should he come out of that tower.  Just below that would be the archmage's.  If I were an archmagus, I sure wouldn't mind having six houses.  And he can stay in whichever tower he's doing research in.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 June 2004, 20:58:00 »

So young, so inexperienced. The style is Pratchettesque, but those words aren't from Mr. Terry. Those are stolen directly from the man who Pratchett so blatantly ripped off: Douglass "42" Adams.

It works, I reluctantly must agree. Though you asked about the subschools... the modern Academy might be different, but the old-school *RIMSHOT!* had the eleven major magical towers detailed with the Staffs. There's still the core six, but there's also Metamagic, (R+D) Lifemagic, (Must stay in some form... Brownie knowledge trade post, basically.) Mentalism, (Higher State/applications of the Mind) Summoning (Dead in the modern school except as a subdiscipline) and the Guard (Contact with the outside world/PR division. Dead now, but it's where you put the High Archmagus.)

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2004, 02:21:00 »

Eleven has been reduced to five for the sake of simplicity and practicality.

Perhaps it might be worth expanding this council we have of the Archmagi. Yes, the Archmagei hold the positions, they run everything (Regents) in their tower, and they are generally the people in charge. However, I would imagine that there would probably many more people who could be considered Archmagi-material. Perhaps it was a close competition between two individuals and one became Arechmage and the other didn't. Maybe a person refused the position. We can't deny that there may be other people at Ximax who understand the magic system and the school just as well (if not better) than the Archmagi themselves.

For this reason, I propose a Ximaxian council. Of course, the leaders of the council would be the Archmagi (Though it may be worth considering an individual - magically inclined or not - to overview the meetings and just make sure things don't get too out of hand, like a judge in a court case). Their votes would count for more than the rest of the members. They would generally be more influential, but the votes of the other members would help even things out a bit. In times of dire need, the council might leave out some of the council to provide quick action.

Geez.. this is beginning to sound like a parliamentary system.

In any case, I think it would function rather well, and would insure that more, intelligent people are heard.

::wanders off to bed.::

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2004, 11:02:00 »

I HATE STUDYING FOR DRUG TESTS (by studying, I mean drinking and holding it till you're about to burst)

Five archmage, and one that would have been an archmagi is the archmagus, right rayne? o.O

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2004, 00:27:00 »

That's what Xarl's proposing, Kik. I don't want any Archmage being any more powerful than the others. All six Archmagi would be of the same status. One person would add at a mediator during meetings.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2004, 15:56:00 »

Five archmagi? Don't we have six inner towers around the dome with the orb? Or did I miss something?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]