Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: The true nature of lightning?  (Read 30346 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 03 December 2005, 19:12:00 »

(sighs back at Talia)

Ok, well, I do care, so I'll attempt to explain my one minor point more clearly.

I'm not trying to destroy creativity or rule out uniqueness; I am pointing out that by the phrasing already on the site in a great many entries, lightning is almost without exception described as 'striking' - moving from the sky to hit an object on the ground.  

That could be:

a) because it behaves like terrestrial lightning and the Compendium authors - the medieval sages and researchers - weren't observant enough to see it moving upwards and thus recorded it as striking downward.
b) because it does strike downwards, and the authors never observed other ways of lightning moving within Caelereth
c) because the Compendium developers - the alter egos of the sages and researchers, namely us - weren't thorough/creative enough to come up with any alternative way for lightning to move.

Whichever it was,  because of precedence, and because we pride ourselves on consistency, we should ensure that any entry about lightning in Caelereth which describes, investigates, and explains it (to whatever extent that is possible) also notes that lightning is allowed to strike 'downwards'.

Again, that does not EXCLUDE any other way of moving or striking -so future authors can be as innovative as they want...lightning can blooming well break up into tiny sparks and rain down like Gandalf's fireworks!  Or it can rise from the earth in great glowing will-o-the-wisps and bounce about the tops of trees.  Or run down ships' masts in an eerie green glow (St. Elmo's Fire).  Or light up the entire half-sphere of the sky in gigantic pinkish sheets of fire.  As long as it ALSO is allowed to appear in bolt form occasionally...

Edited by: Bard Judith at: 12/3/05 2:21

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2005, 14:21:00 »

Quote:
Or it can rise from the earth in great glowing will-o-the-wisps and bounce about the tops of trees.

I think I may steal that for future reference... :hat  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2005, 21:31:00 »

Here's my own version of the lightning-is-wind arguement.  

I remember reading in a relatively old post (but recent enough that it might still be valid) by Arti that in ice, water ounia are linked to earth ounia, thus making it soild.  Lightning could work in a similar way, being fire and wind linked.  If you link wind ounia very strongly together, then link them strongly with fire ounia, you might get something lightning-like.  Then again, I might be thinking in the wrong sphere, since that is starting to sound like sphere 1, and I'm pretty sure spells like lightning bolts look more like sphere 2.  

Oh, then again, maybe not.  Lets suppose a strong blast of wind is generated in a manner similar to how Arti describes a fireball being generated in the Fireball entry.  If, after dawing the wind ounia to the point, they are linked to the nearest good-sized source of fire ounia (probably in the mage's hand) to give the resulting blast some fire properties, then released, it could be something like a lightning bolt, right?  

Theo: Yes, I meant what the Ximaxians would think was the nature of lightning.  Your idea sounds like it might be intersting, but I don't quite get it.  If wind ounia are very strongly linked to each other, wouldn't the result be a very great increase in wind properties, thus resulting in very strong winds?  

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2005, 15:32:00 »

I like the wind-fire thing. Fire is mostly connected to energies, like heat & light, so why not electricity as well? Also, lightning can easily set things on fire and it's quit destructive (like fire).

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2005, 16:03:00 »

Well, I'm of course no magic expert, so my whole theory could be flawed. I thought however, that the "activity" of wind depended more on the Ahm/Soor-conditions, rather than on the connections made between Wind and other Ounia.

So I just tried to think of a way to explain lightning that was somewhat analogous to Terran way. That is, a certain unstable expression searching for a way to stabilize itself.
So I thought that, when Wind ounia would only connect to other Wind ounia, they might reach some "critical level", where the normal properties of Wind would be changed into something like "superwind'. That is, many Wind ounia moving e.g. so fast they turn into lightning. (Something like fitting the power of a hurricane in a cilinder with a diameter of about 1 nailsbreadth)
Or, something more like my previous idea, about the Wind-linked situation being unstable in some way, thus searching for a large concentration of other ounia (earth) to stabilize itself.

However, the WInd-Fire idea also sounds interesting. Could be fitted to the notion that most things that are hit by lightning tend to ignite.

KR,
Theodorus

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 January 2006, 00:01:00 »

Bringing this back, because WE need to know how lighting works in Santharia.

A good idea that Silfer gave me was wind influenced with sor principle, but stoping it to move, you get a very dangerous and strong force, why not a lighting? then when you relace the strong sor principle the fast and powerful wind is a lighting, just as water with earth ounia explanation.

Other explanation is that the lighting is "solid" wind, so it can explain two things: Thunders and the stuning effect of electricity, like something that hits you and makes you unable to move for a while.

Edited by: so orril miesefer at: 3/1/06 22:49

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 09 March 2006, 06:24:00 »

I looked for some info about lightnings (because you are sticking so much to earthen physics)

www.meteoros.de/light/blitze.htm

--most (natural) lightnings occur from cloud to cloud!

In German, but some nice pics:

www.muk.uni-hannover.de/~...ning0.html

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2006, 15:27:00 »

So it means it can be from fire, water and wind, earth is exluded because I don't find a good reason to have it here, maybe because there can be lightings from earth to sky but dunno.

Then, qhy not say that lighting can be made by any elemental mage, by diferent ways.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 March 2006, 15:53:00 »

If you want RL info: wiki. Lots of info there.

For example (from the index):

Types of lightning

* 4.1 Intracloud lightning, sheet lightning, anvil crawlers
   * 4.2 Cloud-to-ground lightning, anvil-to-ground lightning
   * 4.3 Bead lightning, ribbon lightning, staccato lightning
   * 4.4 Cloud-to-cloud lightning
   * 4.5 Ground-to-cloud lightning
   * 4.6 Heat lightning or summer lightning
   * 4.7 Ball lightning
   * 4.8 Sprites, elves, jets, and other upper atmospheric lightning
   * 4.9 Streak lightning
   * 4.10 Triggered lightning
   * 4.11 Lightning throughout the Solar System

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 March 2006, 16:08:00 »

Then, give ideas, I gave mine, I don't have a better idea of how the lighting is made.

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2006, 12:21:00 »

I will dare to give conclucions since none say something:

Lighting is made by a strong but short-in-time link between water, fire and wind ounia, once this link is breaked an oberwhelming cuantity of energy is relaced in form of lighting.

Then, I need an explanation to why the link is formed...

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 12 March 2006, 15:21:00 »

Then the creation of lightning would fall under the School of cua, the art of breaking the ounia.

As if this wasn't complicated anough already...

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 March 2006, 16:25:00 »

Actually (as I understood) elemental mages control the links indirectly so any mage can use lighting based spells Exept Ecua, Xeua by making the link, but Ecua can't because the conservation of links law.  

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 March 2006, 16:26:00 »

Do read Rayne's proposal earlier in this thread before jumping to conclusions, Miraran.

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 March 2006, 15:37:00 »

Silfer, would you mind me giving my ideas on how I feel lightning is created via magic, or would you prefer to discuss it with me prior to placing such thoughts here? The entire concept I have is fairly lengthy and I do not really wish to write it all out, unless of course you wish to hear it teach. My idea is based around wind (as an active) with fire and water (as inactive) culminating to produce this effect.

~Bows Gracefully and Departs~

he pe e pon the rowd ike a ragon, ancien and u o deah.`

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 3/11/06 22:41

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]