Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD! Thanks Art. No more discussion atm  (Read 4731 times)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2005, 16:11:00 »

Well, for one. If Coren would need some help in re-writing his text, I'd gladly offer to help. I don't know how good I am at "translating" such things, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

Secondly, I don't know whether it is absolutely necessary to convert the whole thing to relativism. Firstly, the possibility could be considered that this text was written down by Krean's themselves, and found its way to the compendium as a text, rather than a report. The Kreans would, obviously, not bother themselves with comparing their system to Ximax.
Moreover, I do not at all times grasp the great need for relativism in all entries. I understand we want to keep clear that things in this world are not absolute, however, I also thought that among Terran medieval scholars, alchemists and researchers, relativism was yet to be invented.
In short. The need for absolute relativism seems to me to be just as post-modern as some expressions from Coren's synopsis. And while this may encourage the creativity of people, we must not allow it to suffocate this same creativity at other times.

KR,
Theodorus

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2005, 16:18:00 »

A well, Theo, then it needs an introduction nevertheless - either something like "this parchment was found .... etc" or better, it should be bedded into a frame as I said above, with who wrote it, when was it created etc..  and a different languge used. I doubt though, that Coren needs your help - he just needs to be convinced that this is the right thing to do. He is splendid with words himself.
As it looks now, I could as well ask for the modell to go up as it is.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2005, 16:48:00 »

True, but you would circumfere the need for having to adjust the entire piece with respect to the relativistic issues. :)
And well, it adds to diversity as well. After all, would not only the reports written by the Santharian scholars themselves, but also texts, parchments and scrolls they come across be added to a Compendium they would be writing. With an introduction added, of course, but nonetheless.
When describing the world, you need not only describe people, but let them describe themselves as well.

KR,
Theodorus

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 November 2005, 17:57:00 »

To address some concerns:

This looks similar to the quantum theory only because you are on familiar grounds with it. Would the average, reasonable 'modern' person, who has never heard of the quantum theory, think 'oh, yeah this is 21st century physics'? I personally had very little knowledge of the quantum theory when I wrote this entry (and the similarities never occured to me until afer Talia pointed them out)

Quote:
Terminology of course is the most obvious thing, e.g. "elementary engine", "polar waves", "reality point" all sound extremely 21st century. Sentences like "Thus the term 'activated spots' is used to refer to Reality Points on the First Wave"

Most of those terms were already removed before your post. Although etimologically engine (I think) does appear in medieval and hellenistic works, i removed it nonetheless as it is too warped in modern connotations.

'Polar wave': Once again, you are thinking in modern terms... I never envisioned a radio wave when I wrote this (i had the 'normal' sea waves in mind; the Aestera are known for their affinity towards water, so the entire entry, since it was written from the Aesteran pov, was expressed in water-like terms).  As for 'polar'; that is a very old word (from Latin 'polarus' which means 'heavenly', adopted from Greek philosophers who expressed the world in four 'polar' and competing elements). I merely use it to draw a distinction between Waves Mental and Physical as complementing/opposite essences.

And please do try to listen. I already promised that the 'myths' you so dearly miss will come - though in the context of a 'cosmology' entry. magic entry only selects relevant concepts from their religion/cosmology and rids them of their mythological properties, extablishing the principles beneath. It intrinsicly should be free of mythology and religion whereever possible. I will provide the reasons for this (mainly the secular mages v. the priestesses) when I write their religion and High Temple entries.

However, I will tailor the language; making it less technical and will include analogical examples where possible to illustrate the concepts. I will not introduce 'myth' into this entry though. I have asked explicityly for you to provide a  pursuasive argument based on logic to convince me of the need. So far I see none. Dictatory 'this is the way things will be done' is not an argument, it is a statement of preference expressed as an order - however subtly worded.

Talia's suggestions: Alright I will include those. However you refer me to a non-existant format... As I requested in my previous post: Provide me with the template you want to see this entry in, and I will convert it to the extent possible.

Theo's generous offer I would be very much relieved to accept; it would alleviate the workload to say the least. But what is it exactly that you are promising to do? Simply altering/rephrasing the language or generating the anologies and 'myths' (which i will not include until convinced of their absolute necessity) as well?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2005, 02:15:00 »

That would be depending on what you'd eventually be altering in this text. But I figured I might be of some assistance in finding more metaphorical and analogical expressions of some of the concepts and terms you use now, as well as a more medieval-philosophical way of writing it.
But you should of course first consider if you want somebody messing with your texts or not.

KR,
Theodorus (who, as it stands, likes this particular way of magic and worldview)

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 November 2005, 07:31:00 »

Certainly, I would very much appreciate that. Let's wait for a definite answer for the template and changes though.

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 April 2006, 20:02:00 »

... Isn't there a bane for new magic concepts???
Sorry if I'm wrong, but at the stiky topic with the template for spells is a template that could help for this (I know it's outdated, but as sai could help, not be all).

Good lcuk with this, BTW, this magic is going to be overwhelmingly powerful, changing the order of the cosmos itself isn't little thing.

Also this raises a question for me, do we have destiny??? if not, then I see this lost.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]