Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Using magic to draw weapon?  (Read 5518 times)
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 28 April 2006, 23:37:00 »

accidently started this discusion in the wrong forum so I moving it from this thread p223.ezboard.com/fsanthariafrm27.showMessage?topicID=127.topic To the magic forum  

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2006, 13:09:00 »

Hmmm... maybe with magnetism this could be posible, making the blade with a no magnetic material and the "Fist" with a magnetic material, but we need to see is magnetism is a property of what element.

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My fredom. My law: the strenght and the wind. My mother country the skySo Orril Miés'éfer, Sky master.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2006, 13:37:00 »

I believe that the manipulation of metals and magnatism should be earth, as they both are directly involved with the element of earth and nothing else(other than forging for fire).

Reasoning:

Metal Manipulation:  Comes from rock(which is earth)  Also shares many of similar properties such as hates to move and all of its properties are most close to the those of earth.  Not fire because fire is just one means to force it to move.  Earth magic would be another.

Magnetism:  magnetism occurs because of the metal found buried in the earth.  Therefore the element closest to magnetism is earth.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2006, 15:47:00 »

The easiest way would be telekinesis, Wind.

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2006, 14:14:00 »

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of using magnetism was leaning towards telekinesis beacuase thats an already developed spell.

Problem with a non magnetic handle since this is a weapon it  would need to be made out of a material that can take a lot of abuse.

Second a metal glove is out of the question, since this is to be used by the Coór'hém elves and having them wear shiny things would go against their nature.  However a metal lined one might be do able.

Maybe if the manufacturing process had a handle core of metal wrapped in a ribbon made of feathers, then wrapped in black leather. The ribbon could be enchanted by a higher level mage before it was put on the handle then the handle could periodicly be reenchanted.

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2006, 19:57:00 »

Common magnetite isn't shiny, is black. but heating it would destroy the magnetic field... unless the elves had a way to keep the magnetic field.

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Miés'éfer, Sky master.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2006, 23:20:00 »

You might want to reconsider this.  The coor'hem are very much a warrior tribe.  They pretty much have no magi, as far as I know.  A weapon designed to be drawn telekinetically would not be of much use to them.  

Also, the use of feathers as a reagent is a Ximaxian thing; other tribes, especially one as foreign as the coor'hem, probably won't use the same techniques.  Even if they used Ximaxian magic, having feathers sewn into gloves or attached to the weapon isn't automatically going to enhance the spell effect.  Ximaxian reagents are rather undeveloped at the moment, but the general idea is that they don't really do anything magical.  They only assist the mage in concentrating on the casting, I think by being in some way associated with the effect of the spell (eg. a feather is light, so it might be used in a spell that causes things to become lighter, by giving the mage an example of a light object).  Might be a good idea to start defining what reagents really do, come to think of it...

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2006, 23:48:00 »

so orril
is right there are plenty of black metals

Mina
I was thinking a telekeneticly drawn weapon would work best for a warrior tribe because they would more likely to be in combat suddenly and being able to draw there weapon faster would make them more likely to live thru a fight

I thought reagents were something like chemical catalysts the Cár’áll in the objects is right for certain reactions at higher levels a mage could rearange his own Cár’áll to the form of the reagents.

atleast thats my theory.

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2006, 09:14:00 »

IMHO the concentration needed to pull of the spell would even out the time gained. I don't think you can pull your weapon much faster (if faster at all) by using magic. Training (and maybe an easy acces) would be far easier, less time consuming and equally effective (if not better).

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2006, 12:42:00 »

This also goes back to what I said before.  If you have the ability to move your weapon, why not just send it hurtling at you enemy as it is much more effective or use your telekensis to attack him with another object.

Drasil Razorfang CD

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2006, 13:21:00 »

hehe... you understand me Drasil, magic isn't only for seeing it, is for using it, now I have a dev schedule full of attacks and defences.

I would like to rice this once more because we didn't decided what should be magnetism and IMHO is important.

My theory:

As air is wind influenced by earth, magnetism is earth ifluenced by wind, giving it the property of movement (To a middle age person, the magnetic pull would appear as an invisible force that MOVES things) This way we explain why magnetism is invisible, umbreakable, is present in stones that doesn't shine or reflect light (Remember, wind is transparency, so something influenced with wind wouldn't reflect light.) and is created by lightnings (Sure someone has felt the pull of the lightning as magnet because we can cast ligtnings to study them.)

We should do a table of things of influence of an element over another...  

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Miés'éfer, Sky master.

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2006, 13:26:00 »

This has nothing to do with magnetism, instead it uses telekenisis orril

Drasil Razorfang CD

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2006, 13:45:00 »

I know, but don't want to be the thread necromancer to rise the Elemental property again.

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2006, 14:45:00 »

I am not sure we should define magnetism... as our system is not well enough fleshed out yet to define it well.

Orril, your definiton won't work. It does not explain why not everything is pulled by a magnet, nor why it pulls at all - movement in the object does not mage that object pull other objects to it.

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2006, 14:47:00 »

I thought she was getting the weapon using telekenisis, not magnetism.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]