Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ice Barrage / Water Spell / Level VIII  (Read 8323 times)
Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 10 July 2006, 02:38:00 »

Mina-edits in plum

Overview
Ice Barrage is a spell that creates and fires a blast of sharp ice crystals towards an intended target. The spell is especially useful for offensive attacks, as the shards of ice are fired at a very high speed and feel like piercing needles to anyone on the receiving end. Ice Barrage is one of the more offensive Water spells, and can be quite a surprise to those who may believe that Water magi are useless in combat or when not near water, although such people would be those less knowledgable about magic anyway.

Spell Effect
The effect of this spell is to injure an enemy by striking them with sharp shards of ice. Quite a sight to see, the caster forms a ‘ball’ of water droplets that hover in front of their palm by gathering enough Water ounia together that physical water is manifested. The caster must know how much ounia they are capable of gathering, for if they attempt to gather more than they are able to, incapacity fizzling is highly possible. The result could be an erupting blast of water. The same thing might occur if the caster does not remained focused during the casting. Next, the caster turns the droplets altered into ice and fires them at the target.  The ice is sometimes powerful enough to take down opponents, although it is better used to slow the advancement of enemies, or even just to cause damage.

The ice shards, because of their sheer speed, can be very damaging to exposed skin, leaving behind numerous cuts.  On skin covered by clothing, cuts are less common, but painful bruises are still very likely to occur.  When cast by stronger magi, the ice shards can sometimes even dent weaker metals, and nearly bust through wood.

If the water source is large enough, then the caster can make the blasts of ice last for an extended period of time. In fact, the caster can in theory continue the spell for as long as they wish, as long as the source of ounia lasts. This is, however, generally not possible in practice as it is very draining and the caster will likely lose focus after a short time

Casting Procedure
The caster must be able to focus well, as Water ounia are gathered from all sorts of places, such as the air and damp materials. The spell truly makes use of the fact that some water can be found in nearly any area or thing, though of course different places and objects contain different amounts of water, which will affect the difficulty and power of the spell. The caster will gather ounia into a ball of water droplets that is formed in front of the palm. The amount of Water ounia gathered will vary depending upon the caster’s magical strength as well as the amount of Water ounia present in the first place, but on average, powerful magi can easily gather enough droplets to form a ball about the size of a human fist.  Some might wonder why the water is mainfested in the form of droplets, instead of a single ball of water, but the reason is really quite simple: it is much easier to keep it afloat this way.  A ball of water cannot easily be kept afloat, but a group of tiny water droplets gathered into the shape of a sphere is essentially a ball made of Wind and Water, and the influence of Wind keeps the droplets afloat.   

Next, the caster creates innumerable ice shards by merging and freezing water droplets close to each other.  Then, Wind influence on the ice shards is increased, causing the shards to shoot off in the direction specified by the caster, creating a blast of ice. 

Magical Formula
Currently Undefined

Target
Technically speaking, the target of this spell is a small spherical region in front of the caster's palm, where the water ounia are initially gathered and manifested as a dense mist.  The target of the spell's effect, the blast of ice shards, however, can be just about anything; the caster does not actually specify any target for the blast, just the direction it will go it. 

Reagents
Aquamarine gems are th most commonly used reagents for this spell, and there are some who believe that they make the effects of the spell stronger.  Aquamarine gems are extracted from the earth, and so fit the idea of drawing hidden water for the use of this spell. Small aquamarine gems also make good focal points, as the mage can imagine the droplets of water and ice formed by this spell as a similarity to small gems.

Spell Class
Elemental Magic, Water School, Sphere III (The Sphere of Evolution), Class 5: Growth (Physical Representation of Evolution)

Range
The spell has quite a long range, averaging around five peds. However, for more efficiency, the spell is better used at a range of less than four peds, for the further the ice must travel the less powerful the blow will be. The most powerful magi can have an effective range of the spell to nearly double of that.

Casting time
The casting time of this spell depends much upon the focus and concentration of the magi. As ounia must be gathered and taken away from the surrounding area and then altered, the casting time can be slow. The general time is several blinks. Having the gathering point of the Water ounia be at a body of water reduces the casting time dramatically, as the Water ounia needed for the spell can be gained almost instantly and the spell can be cast within a couple of blinks.

Duration
The spell will last until the caster has run out of the source of ounia, or until focus is lost. Magi who are new to the spell can usually safely keep up the spell for about a minute. More powerful magi might be able to sustain it for twice that duration.

Counter Measures
A shield of metal is enough to counter against the effects of this spell, as the ice is never powerful enough to penetrate tough solids, although dents are possible.  Other means of defense against projectiles might work too.  For example, powerful wind spells can divert the blasting ice, thus rendering the spell ineffective. Fire spells also tend to cancel the effects of the spell, causing a rising puff of steam.  Also, if the spell is used when there is no significant source of water nearby, and must rely completely on hidden sources, the blast of ice can be equally powerful, but continuing the blast becomes more difficult and is usually weaker.

Enhancing Measures
The larger the ice shards, the more powerful the effect of the spell will be when the blast is released. If the caster wishes, he or she can continuously gather ounia while creating ice shards and releasing blasts - thus creating an effect of continuity.  Also, cold weather can increase the duration of the spell, as the alterations from water to ice become much easier and require less amounts of focus.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2006, 01:45:59 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Fear cuts deeper than swords...
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2006, 07:10:00 »

Certainly a decent start! I think one of the magic masters will soon drop by to give the spell a thorough uri-check. In the meantime I will swiftly glide over the entry to see if I can make any worth-while contributions - hope you don't mind!

- Very good overview.

Spell Effect
The effect of this spell is either to damage an enemy with pelleting drops of water, or to dampen a target. Quite a site to see, a ball of water is formed (either large or small, depending upon the caster’s strength) in front of the caster’s palm. The caster must know how much ounia is fitting to their ability (this sounds off-key as a magical explanation - I get the peculiar mental image of a mage trying to juggle more oun 'balls' than he can attend to; one slips from his grasp and the whole collection ends 'dampening' him ;)  The main problem wouldn't be managing the ounia assortion once its there. Gathering/guiding ounia requires skill and concentration - a mage wouldn't have been able to collect more ounia than he is capable of directing (at least for a simple spell) in the first place), for a result could be an erupting blast of water. If successful, drops of water will begin to shoot out of the ball to the target at an extremely high speed, also creating a rather loud sound similar to that of rushing water. The droplets are usually not powerful enough to take down opponents, although very powerful magi could accomplish such a feat. It is a very useful defense against fire spells such as Quilrosh’s Fireball, and Blazing Shield.

The blasting raindrops, because of the sheer speed, can be very damaging to exposed skin. Often leaving terrible red marks and sometimes bruising, it is a spell that is quite agrivating to say the least. The spell is actually more of a single spray of water, but the water has been altered a bit so that each droplet is highly compacted - Can you also explain how that is done magic-wise?, causing targets to feels as if they are being hit with small stones repeatedly.

If the source of ounia - 'water source' would be fine as well ;)  - is large enough, then the caster can make the blast of raindrops last for an extended period of time. In fact, the caster can continue the spell for as long as they may wish, as long as the source of ounia is plenty enough. If used near a large body of water, then the spell can be used nearly indefinitely.

- The spell is very well-written. But the spell-effect section (or casting procedure if you wish) always needs to explain the technical side - ie: What exactly are you doing with those ounia and how? After your explanation the reader should feel very confident as to why its eg. a Sp2 spell and not Sp1. So all you should do now is to polish up the theory here :)  

Casting Procedure
The caster must be able to focus significantly, as ounia is gathered out of the air and other moisturized items alike. What you are actually doing is removing (sphere 3) water-ounia from the surroundings ('the sources'), concentrating them into a ball of pure water and then hurling it as a needle-shower of drops. So the spell as it stands resembles sphere 3. Now for your next spell, see if you can find a sphere 2 way of achieving a similar effect for less accomplished mages! Maybe the discussion at Mina's Fiery Curtain (was this the original you modeled Rain Barrage after?) thread will be inspirational. See Artimidor's remarks there.

The spell truly makes use of the ability of water to hide in nearly any area or thing. The caster will focus the gathered ounia into a ball of water that is formed in front of the palm. The ball will only gather to a certain amount, depending upon the caster’s magical strength. The larger the ball of water, the more powerful the effect of the spell will be when the ounia are released, creating the blasting result of the spell when successfully cast. If the caster wishes, he/she can continuously gather ounia while releasing ounia at the same time - This definitely sounds like sphere 3, thus creating an effect of continuity.

Magical Formula
Currently Undefined

Target
This spell has no specific target, and can work in both offensive and defensive ways. The target of this spell can be anything that the caster wills to be affected. Good targets are oncoming attackers that need to be slowed, and rising flames that need to be doused. If used with great power, more than one opponent can be the target, as the raindrops have no partiality. The chosen target can generally be determined, however, by anyone or anything that is in range of the spraying water.

Reagents
Not all typical water reagents prove effective in aiding successful casting of this spell. Wet stones, fish scales, and ice tend to prove useful for successful casting. Aquamarine gems, however, not only help the succession, but also amplify the power and effects of the spell. (optional) Any ideas why this might be? Remember: reagents operate as symbols to help the caster envision things or focus Water also helps…

Spell Class
Elemental Magic, Water School, Sphere II (The Sphere of Currents), Class 3: Tides (Physical Representation of Currents)

Range
The spell has quite a far range, averaging around four peds. However, for more efficiency, the spell is better used at a range of three peds or less, for the further the water must travel the less powerful the blow will be. Powerful magi (Level 10+) can increase the range of the spell to nearly double.

Casting time
The casting time of this spell depends much upon the focus and concentration of the magi. As ounia must be gathered and taken away from the surrounding area, the casting time can be slow. The general time is around four blinks or so. Being near a body of water increases the casting time dramatically, as the water can be gained almost instantly and cast within a couple of blinks.

Duration
The spell will last until the caster has run out of the source of ounia, or until focus is lost.

Counter Measures
A simple shield is enough to counter against the effects of this spell, as the water is never powerful enough to pelt through through solids, although dents are possible. Powerful wind spells can also divert the blasting water droplets, thus making the spell ineffective.

Enhancing Measures
Casting time is greatly affected by reagents, as they can reduce the time needed to around two or so blinks instead (If the caster is not near a body of water). Aquamarine gems also tend to increase the range about a ped or so, but not always.

Hint: Water Extraction...

Overall a very impressive start - congradulations! To improve: Just make sure more of the actual theory is there next time :)

PS: What is the colour-code/name for that lovely blue hue?

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2006, 07:12:00 »

Oh I forgot to add: When you have worked through my suggestions, make sure to visit the Integration&Comments List at the top of the forum!

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2006, 08:46:00 »

Oh, and do mark changes you make, so we can see what has been changed since last time. (For example with a different color) No need to mark fixed typos and such, but extra sentences/majorly rewriteen sentences should be marked.

Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2006, 08:52:00 »

Quote:
how much ounia is fitting to their ability (this sounds off-key as a magical explanation - I get the peculiar mental image of a mage trying to juggle more oun 'balls' than he can attend to; one slips from his grasp and the whole collection ends 'dampening' him ;)  The main problem wouldn't be managing the ounia assortion once its there. Gathering/guiding ounia requires skill and concentration - a mage wouldn't have been able to collect more ounia than he is capable of directing (at least for a simple spell) in the first place)

I understand.  What I was actually intending was that the spell would 'fizzle' if the mage tried to gather more than they were capable.  It's more like a failed attempt to gather, rather than actually gathering. I have made edits accordingly.

Quote:
water has been altered a bit so that each droplet is highly compacted - Can you also explain how that is done magic-wise?

I have attempted to do so

Quote:

source of ounia - 'water source' would be fine as well

Okey dokey then
Quote:

The spell is very well-written. But the spell-effect section (or casting procedure if you wish) always needs to explain the technical side - ie: What exactly are you doing with those ounia and how? After your explanation the reader should feel very confident as to why its eg. a Sp2 spell and not Sp1. So all you should do now is to polish up the theory here

I've added a bit more 'theory' to the casting procedure.  Hopefully my explanation makes sense ^^

Quote:
What you are actually doing is removing (sphere 3) water-ounia from the surroundings ('the sources'), concentrating them into a ball of pure water and then hurling it as a needle-shower of drops. So the spell as it stands resembles sphere 3. Now for your next spell, see if you can find a sphere 2 way of achieving a similar effect for less accomplished mages! Maybe the discussion at Mina's Fiery Curtain (was this the original you modeled Rain Barrage after?) thread will be inspirational. See Artimidor's remarks there.

I was inclined to think that this spell was Sphere II, because although it does 'remove' water from the surroundings, the water is already existant within the surroundings, thus making the 'removing' merely a manipulation of sorts, and then furthering the manipulation with the droplets.  I thought that Sphere III was actually adding and removing water ounia from seemingly no source at all, while this spell makes use of currently available sources.  I suppose my definition between Spheres II and III for the water school is still a bit murky...

Quote:

continuously gather ounia while releasing ounia at the same time- This definitely sounds like sphere 3

Pretty much the same as the above.  I thought that continuously gathering, while making the spell high in level, would categorize the spell as sphere II because of the manipulation of water ounia away from other ounia, except continuously.

Quote:

(optional) Any ideas why this might be? Remember: reagents operate as symbols to help the caster envision things or focus

I've added further explanation

Quote:

PS: What is the colour-code/name for that lovely blue hue?

Aqua ^_^

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2006, 09:38:00 »

Question: how does the water stay in the air? Water can't just hover around, so how does the mage keep it in the air?

Oh, and Water Extraction should be sphere III IMHO, so I doubt that should be mentioned under Enhancing Measures.

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2006, 10:03:00 »

Nope, that's still Sphere 3. I am sure Silfer would explain the reasons better than I can, so maybe you can im him ;)

EDIT: Ok, here's a quote from Artimidor I found among my notes:

Quote:
2. THE GUIDING SPHERE

The second sphere can do what the first cannot. It actually changes the cár'áll. The mage regroups the elemental parts within the cár'áll and lets a certain element get in the lead, meaning: a certain element which previously wasn't central element will now become central oun. The links re-form according to this new situation. In this case the structure cannot revert itself naturally, because it was completely altered, following new principles.

Targets of this spell can be any items/objects, which have parts of an element, which can take the lead if activated accordingly. An example would be e.g. Frost Shield (Water spell), where the water contained in the air would be used to form a new structure.

This sphere is an advanced way to cast magic. It requires much more knowledge of the mage, as he/she needs to understand how to form central ouns.

3. THE CREATION SPHERE

The third sphere adds or removes an element (depending on the mage's orientation) to/from the target's cár'áll. The element can either be taken by surrounding objects/items etc. or it flows directly from the caster into the target. There it can be made into a central oun or an element among other elements, practically choosing if sphere 1 (temporary) or sphere 2 (permanent) will be the result when the element is added. Same thing the other way round. A mage could e.g. pull an element from something to strengthen himself/herself.

Target can be anything, there doesn't even need to be e.g. earth existing to a remarkable degree in the target.

This is the most advanced way of casting elemental magic, surpassing the level of expertise needed to do sphere 1 and 2.

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2006, 10:24:00 »

A weird Idea Marv... We don't have gravity so there's nothing that stops water for being levitated (Intentional falacy using Talia's arguments...).

Welcome, a good spell indeed, but IMHO if you make it frozen vapor it would make much more damage making a kind of knives of ice... With this spell is also posible to make a Water blast spell so think about it (Gathering enough water ouns then shot a stream of water while you gather more ouns...).

For the levitate issue... Tell me why the fireball levitates??? fire will fall to ground no matter if is even a gas fire (Yep I tried it with hidrogen so don't come to me to test it again... almost burned my hair...). If fire can levitate like that, I don't find a reason that water cant (Actually this can help to say why clouds levitate even though they are ice cristals).  

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Miés'éfer, Sky master.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2006, 13:23:00 »

Ah, but fire is the only non-corporeal element of the four orril, wich is why it  does not need to oblige to the Grounding Force (gravity)

Fire is merely energy.. while earth, water, and air magi  effectively move about molecules of solids, liquids, and vapors respectively, Fire is a manifestation of energy, which is not affected by most physical forces. Ergo, fire floats in place if the caster wants it to.... but water ought to fall down. I wonder how that's going to be solved

Miraran Tehuriden..

'What the hell is he doing?!' - Ximaxian Fire Master, last words.

Feed the rats, leave a message!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2006, 13:38:00 »

@ Marvin: Very good point.  I will address this to the best of my abilities

@ Corin:  Thank you for that!  I understand now ^^

@ Orril: Your frozen idea will be taken into account, as I will be seperated the 'dousing' uses of this spell into another

@ Miraran: I will come up with something :D

To you all, thank you for the comments.  Please bear with me as I attempt a re-write of this spell.  As it would make more sense for this spell to make use of the frozen qualities of water, a few changes are in order.  

Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2006, 14:18:00 »

Okay, I have made changes, though the spell is not drastically different.  The dousing effects would be better used for another spell, as the same procedure could be used.  I also *tried* to create a way to keep the water/ice hovering, although it will require some looking at.  

Thanks in advance.

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2006, 19:21:00 »

Miran... using the phisics (If we will use them over the other elements...) Fire falls to the ground cause it is a plasma, molecules exited that emite light and heat, thus are affected aswell by the "Grounding Force" IMHO we should let levitating MAGICAL CREATED things (I mean, natural water won't levitate, while water that "appears" out of thin air is still influenced by wind, thus making it hoober.)

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Miés'éfer, Sky master.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2006, 19:28:00 »

I'll try to get to this tomorrow, I shall. And it does look good - especially when Coren praises it, as he does not praise lightly.

Orril: Water conjured out of thin air is no different from ordinary water - that is a principle we have long upheld, and I would prefer to keep it.

As for levitation, and all that: Fireballs are thrown by the mages will, as has been the wobbly explanation so far. Even so, I don't see where it is stated that fire is exempt from the Grounding Force. Fireballs fall down eventually, as far as I know. Of course, if you toss it and it hits the target, it won't fall down as a fireball, but that's different.

Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2006, 20:51:00 »

That is highly appreciated, Silfer.  

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2006, 10:24:00 »

Actually, i was going for the idea that the Fire created by a mage to form, for instance, a fireball, is pure heat and light energy... the fact that the presence of these energies heats up the air inside the ball is a mere side effect. the molecules can't be the things emitting the heat, because then i'd be manipulating air, wich i'm technically not allowed to do, being no wind mage...

EDIT; Also, we realy have to stop doing this kind of discussions in other people's spell threads. Especially new people might get slightly overwhelmed...

Miraran Tehuriden..

'What the hell is he doing?!' - Ximaxian Fire Master, last words.

Feed the rats, leave a message!

Edited by: Miraran Tehuriden at: 7/10/06 18:25

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]