Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ice Barrage / Water Spell / Level VIII  (Read 8322 times)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 July 2006, 14:36:00 »

Comments in red.

Overview
Ice Barrage is a special spell because the caster seems to draw water out of thin air and alter its qualities to fire a horde of ‘icedrops’ towards an intended target. The spell is especially useful for offensive attacks, as the balls of ice are fired at a very high speed and feel like piercing needles to anyone on the receiving end. Recently developed, Ice Barrage was rather an attempt by water magi to create a more offensive spell. It is quite a surprise to those who may believe that water magi are useless when not near water, although such people would be the less educated in magic anyhow.

Spell Effect
The effect of this spell is either to damage an enemy with pelleting lumps of ice. Quite a site to see, a ball of water is formed (either large or small, depending upon the caster’s strength) in front of the caster’s palm. Some information about what is "large" and "small", and when, would be good. (Nothing specific, but rough estimates) The caster must know how much ounia they are capable of gathering, for if they attempt to gather more than they are able to, incapacity fizzling is highly possible. The result could be an erupting blast of water. The same blast will occur if the caster does not remained focus during the casting. Next the caster forms the ball of water into hovering raindrops, which are then altered into ice. If successful, the lumps of ice will begin to fire to the target at an extremely high speed. The ice is sometimes powerful enough to take down opponents, although it is better used to slow the advancement of enemies, or even just to cause damage.

I wonder if the de*****ion on top is slightly incorrect. You would form pellets of water around you, and freeze and fire them, no? Instead of one big glob. Also, some technical information would be nice, as I think Coren has mentioned. For instance, when you freeze them, you call upon the coldness property of Water.

The ice, because of the sheer speed, can be very damaging to exposed skin. Often leaving terrible red marks and sometimes bruising, it is a spell that is quite aggravating to say the least. The spell is so effective because the ice is small but many, and is as hard as stone. They can dent weaker metals, and nearly bust through wood.

If the water source is large enough, then the caster can make the blasts of ice last for an extended period of time. In fact, the caster can continue the spell for as long as they may wish, as long as the source of ounia is plenty enough. If used near a large body of water, then the spell can be used nearly indefinitely.

How good is this spell in normal air, with no water nearby?

Casting Procedure
The caster must be able to focus significantly, as existing ounia is gathered from hiding places such as moisture in the air and other damp materials. The spell truly makes use of the ability of water to hide in nearly any area or thing. The caster will focus the gathered ounia into a ball of water that is formed in front of the palm. The ball will only gather to a certain amount, depending upon the caster’s magical strength. Within this procedure, however, is another that the magi must use to keep the water hovering. This is a simple use of manipulation. While the water is being formed, the caster must manipulate the ounia making up the ball of water constantly, causing the water to wave, shift, spin, and turn. As some ounia are shifting to the bottom of the ball of water, they support the others which shift to the top, and vice versa.

To obtain the pellet-like effect, magi must manipulate the ounia by focusing on an idea of the droplets. The mage can ‘gather’ the ounia to form separate droplets of water, causing the ball of water to look like a ball of raindrops. With good focus, the ounia are tightly drawn together into the droplets, but even as the caster does this, the droplets must continually shift through the air by manipulation. Next is the alteration of water to the form of ice. Starkly, the mage creates an idea of the ice with the concept of a solid, and by using the power of their will can alter the Cár'áll of the droplets, supercooling the ounia until the properties of solid have overcome the properties of liquid, altering the droplets into lumps or balls of ice. The ounia must still be manipulated to create the hovering effect as well.

The larger the initial ball of water, the more powerful the effect of the spell will be when the ounia are released, creating the blasting result of the spell when successfully cast. If the caster wishes, he/she can continuously gather ounia while releasing and converting ounia at the same time - thus creating an effect of continuity.

Very good de*****ion!

Magical Formula
Currently Undefined

Target
This spell has no specific target, and can work in both offensive and defensive ways. The target of this spell can be anything that the caster wills to be affected. Good targets are oncoming attackers that need to be slowed, and even flames that may need cooling. If used with great power, more than one opponent can be the target, as the icedrops have no partiality. The chosen target can generally be determined, however, by anyone or anything that is in range of the shooting ice.

Reagents
Not all typical water reagents prove effective in aiding successful casting of this spell. Wet stones, fish scales, and ice tend to prove useful for successful casting. Aquamarine gems, however, not only help the succession, but also amplify the power and effects of the spell. Aquamarine gems were once extracted from the earth, and so fit the idea of drawing hidden water for the use of this spell. Small aquamarine gems also make good focal points, as the mage can imagine the droplets of water and ice formed by this spell as a similarity to small gems. Water also helps.

Spell Class
Elemental Magic, Water School, Sphere III (The Sphere of Evolution), Class 5: Growth (Physical Representation of Evolution)

Range
The spell has quite a far range, averaging around five peds. However, for more efficiency, the spell is better used at a range of foure peds or less, for the further the ice must travel the less powerful the blow will be. Powerful magi (Level 10+) can increase the range of the spell to nearly double.

Casting time
The casting time of this spell depends much upon the focus and concentration of the magi. As ounia must be gathered and taken away from the surrounding area and then altered, the casting time can be slow. The general time is around five blinks or so. Being near a body of water increases the casting time dramatically, as the water can be gained almost instantly and cast within a couple of blinks.

Duration
The spell will last until the caster has run out of the source of ounia, or until focus is lost. How long does the latter take to pass for mages of different levels?

Counter Measures
A shield of metal is enough to counter against the effects of this spell, as the ice is never powerful enough to pelt through tough solids, although dents are possible. Powerful wind spells can also divert the blasting ice, thus rendering the spell ineffective. Fire spells as well, I suppose.

Enhancing Measures
Casting time is greatly affected by reagents, as they can reduce the time needed to around three or so blinks instead (If the caster is not near a large body of water, in which case the spell can be cast within two blinks). Aquamarine gems also tend to increase the range about a ped or so, but not always.

I did not have many comments - especially not after Coren has been here. Once again - very good!

Oh, I would also recommend a spell check. You have some typos floating around.

Edited by: Silfer Darkflare at: 7/10/06 22:38

Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2006, 18:06:00 »

ATTENTION!

To those of you who have been so kind as to help me along with this spell, I'm sorry to inform you that I can't edit the first post because I created a global account with the same name!  Ez doesn't identify me as the same person v_v'  Sorry for the trouble, so I will re-post this spell with new edits according to Silfer's comments.  New edits are in Aqua

Overview
Ice Barrage is a special spell because the caster seems to draw water out of thin air and alter its qualities to fire a horde of ‘ice drops’ towards an intended target. The spell is especially useful for offensive attacks, as the balls of ice are fired at a very high speed and feel like piercing needles to anyone on the receiving end. Recently developed, Ice Barrage was rather an attempt by water magi to create a more offensive spell. It is quite a surprise to those who may believe that water magi are useless when not near water, although such people would be the less educated in magic anyhow.

Spell Effect
The effect of this spell is either to damage an enemy by striking them with small lumps of ice. Quite a site to see, the caster forms a ‘ball’ of raindrops that hover in front of their palm by gathering water ounia. The caster must know how much ounia they are capable of gathering, for if they attempt to gather more than they are able to, incapacity fizzling is highly possible. The result could be an erupting blast of water. The same blast will occur if the caster does not remained focus during the casting. Next the caster alters the raindrops altered into ice by expanding the cooling properties of water. If successful, the lumps of ice will begin to fire to the target at an extremely high speed. The ice is sometimes powerful enough to take down opponents, although it is better used to slow the advancement of enemies, or even just to cause damage.

The ice, because of the sheer speed, can be very damaging to exposed skin. Often leaving terrible red marks and sometimes bruising, it is a spell that is quite aggravating to say the least. The spell is so effective because the ice is small but many, and is as hard as stone. They can dent weaker metals, and nearly bust through wood.

If the water source is large enough, then the caster can make the blasts of ice last for an extended period of time. In fact, the caster can continue the spell for as long as they may wish, as long as the source of ounia is plenty enough. Although it this is generally not possible as focus is lost at some point.

Casting Procedure
The caster must be able to focus significantly, as existing ounia is gathered from hiding places such as moisture in the air and other damp materials. The spell truly makes use of the ability of water to hide in nearly any area or thing. The caster will focus the gathered ounia into a ball of water droplets that is formed in front of the palm. The droplets will only gather to a certain amount, depending upon the caster’s magical strength, as powerful magi can create droplets the size of a human fist. The mage gathers nearby water ounia to form these separate droplets of water. With good focus, the ounia are tightly drawn together into the droplets, but even as the caster does this, the droplets must continually shift through the air by manipulation.  This means that while the water is being formed, the caster must manipulate the ounia making up the ball of droplets constantly, causing the raindrops to shift spin and turn to keep them from falling to the ground.  Constant manipulation is necessary to create a ‘hovering’ effect.

Next is the alteration of water to the form of ice. Starkly, the mage creates an idea of the ice with the concept of a solid, and by using the power of their will can alter the Cár'áll of the droplets, supercooling the ounia until the properties of solid have overcome the properties of liquid, altering the droplets into lumps or balls of ice. The ounia must still be manipulated to create the hovering effect as well.

The larger the initial water droplets, the more powerful the effect of the spell will be when the ounia are released, creating the blasting result of the spell when successfully cast. If the caster wishes, he/she can continuously gather ounia while releasing and converting ounia at the same time - thus creating an effect of continuity.  If the spell is used when there is no significant source of water nearby, and must rely completely on hidden sources, the blast of ice will be equally powerful, but continuing the blast becomes more difficult and is weaker.

Magical Formula
Currently Undefined

Target
This spell has no specific target, and can work in both offensive and defensive ways. The target of this spell can be anything that the caster wills to be affected. Good targets are oncoming attackers that need to be slowed, and even flames that may need cooling. If used with great power, more than one opponent can be the target, as the ice drops have no partiality. The chosen target can generally be determined, however, by anyone or anything that is in range of the shooting ice.

Reagents
Not all typical water reagents prove effective in aiding successful casting of this spell. Wet stones, fish scales, and ice tend to prove useful for successful casting. Aquamarine gems, however, not only help the succession, but also amplify the power and effects of the spell. Aquamarine gems were once extracted from the earth, and so fit the idea of drawing hidden water for the use of this spell. Small aquamarine gems also make good focal points, as the mage can imagine the droplets of water and ice formed by this spell as a similarity to small gems. Water also helps.

Spell Class
Elemental Magic, Water School, Sphere III (The Sphere of Evolution), Class 5: Growth (Physical Representation of Evolution)

Range
The spell has quite a far range, averaging around five peds. However, for more efficiency, the spell is better used at a range of four peds or less, for the further the ice must travel the less powerful the blow will be. Powerful magi (Level 10+) can increase the range of the spell to nearly double.

Casting time
The casting time of this spell depends much upon the focus and concentration of the magi. As ounia must be gathered and taken away from the surrounding area and then altered, the casting time can be slow. The general time is around five blinks or so. Being near a body of water increases the casting time dramatically, as the water can be gained almost instantly and cast within a couple of blinks.

Duration
The spell will last until the caster has run out of the source of ounia, or until focus is lost.  Magi of the same level of the spell (Level 8 ) can usually focus the spell for a 5-10 minutes.  More powerful magi (Level 10+) usually have the ability to focus the spell for 10-20 minutes, depending upon the environment and stress of the situation.

Counter Measures
A shield of metal is enough to counter against the effects of this spell, as the ice is never powerful enough to pelt through tough solids, although dents are possible. Powerful wind spells can divert the blasting ice, thus rendering the spell ineffective. Fire spells also tend to cancel the effects of the spell, causing a rising puff of steam.

Enhancing Measures
Casting time is greatly affected by reagents, as they can reduce the time needed to around three or so blinks instead (If the caster is not near a large body of water, in which case the spell can be cast within two blinks). Aquamarine gems tend to increase the range about a ped or so, but not always. Also, cold weather can increase the duration of the spell, as the alterations from water to ice become much easier and a slightly less amount of focus.

Edited by: Zacheius Aquadel at: 7/11/06 2:17

Fear cuts deeper than swords...
Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 July 2006, 18:37:00 »

Ignore the previous post

I just decided to delete the account so that I could continue to use this one.  Okay, new edits have been made.  I also performed a spell check o.o  That was a wise suggestion for me to completely take out the ball of water part.  It was just complicating the procedure. x_x

Edited by: Zacheius Aquadel at: 7/11/06 2:37

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2006, 04:19:00 »

This is definitely one of the better first attempts I've come across.  It seems you've done your research before posting this, which is good.  My comments shall be in this colour.  

Overview
Ice Barrage is a special spell because the caster seems to draw water out of thin air and alter its qualities to fire a horde of ‘ice drops’ Perhaps 'ice crystals' might be a better term here?  What you have sounds a little awkward, though I admit I can't really think of a good term to use either. towards an intended target. The spell is especially useful for offensive attacks, as the balls of ice are fired at a very high speed and feel like piercing needles to anyone on the receiving end. Recently developed, Ice Barrage was rather an attempt by water magi to create a more offensive spell. I'm not sure about this part.  Given the more or less 4 thousand year history of Ximax, you'd think that there'd be little left to be created recently.  Of course, given the long history, 'recently' might well be something like a thousand years ago too. :lol   Also, the part about creating a spell doesn't really sound right to me.  You see, the way I understand it, all the spells in a Sphere are cast using the same basic technique, so essentially, there is nothing new to be created, once the idea of the Spheres have been formalised.  That particular effect might not have ever been used until relatively recently, but the knowledge of how to do it has basically been there all along, available to anyone who gave it some thought.  It is quite a surprise to those who may believe that water magi are useless when not near water, although such people would be the less educated in magic anyhow.

Spell Effect
The effect of this spell is either to damage an enemy by striking them with small lumps of ice. Well, normally things such as this would be kept to the Overview, and the Spell Effect section be used for the technical explanations, but apparently the others are fine with this, so I shall say no more about it.  Quite a site to see, the caster forms a ‘ball’ of raindrops that hover in front of their palm by gathering water ounia. The caster must know how much ounia they are capable of gathering, for if they attempt to gather more than they are able to, incapacity fizzling is highly possible. The result could be an erupting blast of water. The same blast will occur if the caster does not remained focus during the casting. Next the caster alters the raindrops altered into ice by drawing upon the cooling properties of water. Why not manifest it as ice right away?  Manifesting it as liquid water before freezing it seems to be making it unnecessarily complicated, if you ask me.  Also, I don't think the freezing has much to do with strengthening the coldness property of water.  Ice, as has been mentioned several times, has properties of both Earth and Water, and hence could be created if water comes under the influence of Earth (note the 'could'; it is only one of the possible results, since what you actually get depends on the resulting structure of the car'all, or Content, or whatever it should be called nowadays).    If successful, the lumps of ice will begin to fire to the target at an extremely high speed. The ice is sometimes powerful enough to take down opponents, although it is better used to slow the advancement of enemies, or even just to cause damage.

The ice, because of the sheer speed, can be very damaging to exposed skin. Often leaving terrible red marks and sometimes bruising, it is a spell that is quite aggravating to say the least. If, instead of little balls of ice, you create small ice shards, it might be even more damaging.  Perhaps that could one of the possible effects?  BTW, I wonder if anyone else has thought of using a variant of such a spell for watering plants.  :lol The spell is so effective because the ice is small but many, and is as hard as stone. They can dent weaker metals, and nearly bust through wood.

If the water source is large enough, then the caster can make the blasts of ice last for an extended period of time. In fact, the caster can continue the spell for as long as they may wish, as long as the source of ounia is plenty enough. Although it this is generally not possible as focus is lost at some point.  You might also want to add that doing so is very draining, and it's not likely that one could sustain it for very long.  

Casting Procedure
The caster must be able to focus significantly, as existing ounia is gathered from hiding places such as moisture in the air and other damp materials. The spell truly makes use of the ability of water to hide in nearly any area or thing. The caster will focus the gathered ounia into a ball of water droplets that is formed in front of the palm. The droplets will only gather to a certain amount, depending upon the caster’s magical strength, as powerful magi can create droplets the size of a human fist. The mage gathers nearby water ounia to form these separate droplets of water. With good focus, the ounia are tightly drawn together into the droplets Um, sounds like there might be some confusion between water molecules and Water ounia, or just a poor choice of words.  You don't draw ounia close together so they become water droplets.  Instead, the xeua links between the Water ounia are strengthened, increasing the overall influence of Water properties, thus causing physical water to manifest. , but even as the caster does this, the droplets must continually shift through the air by manipulation. This means that while the water is being formed, the caster must manipulate the ounia making up the ball of droplets constantly, causing the raindrops to shift spin and turn to keep them from falling to the ground. Constant manipulation is necessary to create a ‘hovering’ effect.  I don't think this is the right way to achieve this effect.  I'm not sure how large your droplets are, but if they are small enough, they could won't be falling at all, due to bouyancy or something of that sort.  Of course, with magic, that isn't the end of the explanation.  I think this could perhaps be explained by saying that although within each individual droplet Water is dominant, the fact that in the general area where the droplets are gathered there is still a large amount of Wind ounia, and that they are completely surrounded by Wind (in the form of air), means that the droplets have significant Wind influence as well.  From this, there could be several ways to explain the reason the droplets remain afloat.  The one that seems most logical to me would be that one of the effects of Wind's influence is the property of lightness/weightlessness affecting the droplets, thus keeping them in the air.

Next is the alteration of water to the form of ice. Starkly, the mage creates an idea of the ice with the concept of a solid, and by using the power of their will can alter the Cár'áll of the droplets, supercooling the ounia Erm, no, ounia can't be cooled.  They're not exactly physical things.  They express properties (such as coldness), which influence the object they are a part of.  until the properties of solid have overcome the properties of liquid, altering the droplets into lumps or balls of ice. The ounia must still be manipulated to create the hovering effect as well.

The larger the initial water droplets, the more powerful the effect of the spell will be when the ounia are released, creating the blasting result of the spell when successfully cast. If the caster wishes, he/she can continuously gather ounia while releasing and converting ounia at the same time - thus creating an effect of continuity. If the spell is used when there is no significant source of water nearby, and must rely completely on hidden sources, the blast of ice will be equally powerful, but continuing the blast becomes more difficult and is weaker.

I see no explanation of what causes the ice to move.  Well, to be fair, we don't really have a good explanation for how it works with fire either, as Silfer said.  However, I have been pondering for a while about how fireballs are made to move.  The idea I have is that since Fire wishes to be Wind, the Fire ounia of the fireball that is conjured up naturally link to the Wind ounia all around them, and thus the Wind property of movement already affects the fireball, and all the fire mage has to do is to point it in a direction.  It'd also explain why the fire mage initially has to 'hold' the fireball in place, I think (either by actually willing the Fire ounia to stay in the same place, or reducing the Wind influene on the fireball; I'm not sure).  Now, Water wishes to be Earth, so I don't see a reason for it to naturally form links with Wind.  However, perhaps the ice can still be given movement by having the mage create links between the Water ounia in the ice and Wind ounia in the surroundings?  I'm not sure Sphere 2 can achieve this, but since this is Sphere 3, I don't think this should be too difficult.  

Magical Formula
Currently Undefined

Target
This spell has no specific target, and can work in both offensive and defensive ways. The target of this spell can be anything that the caster wills to be affected. Good targets are oncoming attackers that need to be slowed, and even flames that may need cooling. If used with great power, more than one opponent can be the target, as the icedrops have no partiality. The chosen target can generally be determined, however, by anyone or anything that is in range of the shooting ice.  In one of the more recent spell entries (I think it might have been one of my own), Arti proposed making a distinction between what he calls 'Focus' and 'Target'.  I don't think those terms are very good, but at least they are much shorter than what I would have come up with.  The distinction isn't really needed in most cases, but for 'projectile spells' like this one, it is, I think.  From what I understand, Focus is what I think of as 'the target of the spell', ie. where the effect is created.  For spells like Fireball, and this one, it is the spot just in front of the mage's palm, here the ounia are gathered.  Target, or what I think of as 'the target of the effect' is what you want the effect you've created to affect, which, in this case, is what you're firing the ice at.  I think, you might want to make more mention of the Focus here, and perhaps remove some of the less helpful details concerning the Target.  

Reagents
Not all typical water reagents prove effective in aiding successful casting of this spell. Wet stones, fish scales, and ice tend to prove useful for successful casting. Aquamarine gems, however, not only help the succession, but also amplify the power and effects of the spell.  We haven't really defined what reagents actually do, aside from assisting the mage with casting the spell, so perhaps you might want to remove this statement.  Just the stuff you've written in the rest of this section should be alright.   Aquamarine gems were once extracted from the earth, and so fit the idea of drawing hidden water for the use of this spell. Small aquamarine gems also make good focal points, as the mage can imagine the droplets of water and ice formed by this spell as a similarity to small gems. Water also helps.

Spell Class

Range
The spell has quite a far range, averaging around five peds. However, for more efficiency, the spell is better used at a range of foure peds or less, for the further the ice must travel the less powerful the blow will be. Powerful magi (Level 10+) can increase the range of the spell to nearly double.

Casting time
The casting time of this spell depends much upon the focus and concentration of the magi. As ounia must be gathered and taken away from the surrounding area and then altered, the casting time can be slow. The general time is around five blinks or so.  The unit 'blink' though corresponding roughly to 'second' is meant to be very imprecise, so it would not be correct to use terms like 'five blinks'.  'Several blinks' would be a better alternative.  Being near a body of water increases the casting time dramatically, as the water can be gained almost instantly and cast within a couple of blinks.  Hmm...I'm not sure about this.  Well, I suppose it could be so if the water is really near the Focus, but otherwise it'd take a while to move the Water ounia over, don't you think?  

Duration
The spell will 'Can' might sound better here.  last until the caster has run out of the source of ounia, or until focus is lost. Magi of the same level of the spell (Level 8 ) can usually focus the spell for a 5-10 minutes. More powerful magi (Level 10+) usually have the ability to focus the spell for 10-20 minutes, depending upon the environment and stress of the situation.  A little too long, IMO.  Like I said, continous effects of this sort should be pretty draining.  A similar-looking spell, Rays of Heat, lasts only 8 seconds at level 7.  While that sounds pretty short to me (I mean, at level 7, you're considerd really powerful already), I don't think you should be sustaining this spell for more than, say, a minute or so.

Counter Measures
A shield of metal is enough to counter against the effects of this spell, as the ice is never powerful enough to pelt through tough solids, although dents are possible. That's a pretty strong blast.  Powerful wind spells can divert the blasting ice, thus rendering the spell ineffective. Fire spells also tend to cancel the effects of the spell, causing a rising puff of steam.

Enhancing Measures
Casting time is greatly affected by reagents, as they can reduce the time needed to around three or so blinks instead (If the caster is not near a large body of water, in which case the spell can be cast within two blinks). Aquamarine gems tend to increase the range about a ped or so, but not always. Well, like I said, avoid mentioning specific effects for reagents.  We're not sure what they realy do yet, except make things easier.  Also, cold weather can increase the duration of the spell, as the alterations from water to ice become much easier and a slightly less amount of focus.  The presence of a good source of Water ounia should also be mentioned here, I think.  It still is an enhancing measure, even if it's already been mentioned elsewhere in the entry.  

Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2006, 07:22:00 »

Quote:
Perhaps 'ice crystals' might be a better term here? What you have sounds a little awkward, though I admit I can't really think of a good term to use either.

I will attempt to find a better term

Quote:
I'm not sure about this part. Given the more or less 4 thousand year history of Ximax, you'd think that there'd be little left to be created recently. Of course, given the long history, 'recently' might well be something like a thousand years ago too. :lol    Also, the part about creating a spell doesn't really sound right to me. You see, the way I understand it, all the spells in a Sphere are cast using the same basic technique, so essentially, there is nothing new to be created, once the idea of the Spheres have been formalised. That particular effect might not have ever been used until relatively recently, but the knowledge of how to do it has basically been there all along, available to anyone who gave it some thought.

It can be removed ^^

Quote:
Well, normally things such as this would be kept to the Overview, and the Spell Effect section be used for the technical explanations, but apparently the others are fine with this, so I shall say no more about it.

Alright, but I would like to say that I was rather confused as to what went in the sections.  I thought that the technical explanations would be kept in the casting procedure, and that a longer generalization of what the spell is intended to achieve was placed in the Spell Effect section.  I'll remember what you've said in the future, though.

Quote:
Why not manifest it as ice right away? Manifesting it as liquid water before freezing it seems to be making it unnecessarily complicated, if you ask me. Also, I don't think the freezing has much to do with strengthening the coldness property of water. Ice, as has been mentioned several times, has properties of both Earth and Water, and hence could be created if water comes under the influence of Earth (note the 'could'; it is only one of the possible results, since what you actually get depends on the resulting structure of the car'all, or Content, or whatever it should be called nowadays).

I think I understand what you are saying, but I didn't think a water mage would be able to influence water with properties of earth.  And about manifesting the ice right away, it's pretty much the same as if I manifest the ice when the droplets have formed.  The way I intended it, the process works rather quickly.  As soon as the ounia is gathered, the water forms - right after the water forms, the ice is created.

Quote:
If, instead of little balls of ice, you create small ice shards, it might be even more damaging. Perhaps that could one of the possible effects? BTW, I wonder if anyone else has thought of using a variant of such a spell for watering plants.

I thought about the ice shards, since Orril mentioned it as well.  I  may edit that effect in. About the variant of the spell... *raises hand* :biggrin  

Quote:
You might also want to add that doing so is very draining, and it's not likely that one could sustain it for very long.

Can do

Quote:
Um, sounds like there might be some confusion between water molecules and Water ounia, or just a poor choice of words. You don't draw ounia close together so they become water droplets. Instead, the xeua links between the Water ounia are strengthened, increasing the overall influence of Water properties, thus causing physical water to manifest.

Definitely a poor choice of words.  I will edit this so that it makes more sense.

Quote:
I don't think this is the right way to achieve this effect. I'm not sure how large your droplets are, but if they are small enough, they could won't be falling at all, due to bouyancy or something of that sort. Of course, with magic, that isn't the end of the explanation. I think this could perhaps be explained by saying that although within each individual droplet Water is dominant, the fact that in the general area where the droplets are gathered there is still a large amount of Wind ounia, and that they are completely surrounded by Wind (in the form of air), means that the droplets have significant Wind influence as well. From this, there could be several ways to explain the reason the droplets remain afloat. The one that seems most logical to me would be that one of the effects of Wind's influence is the property of lightness/weightlessness affecting the droplets, thus keeping them in the air.

I understand.  What you're saying is that the droplets being surrounded by wind is enough to keep them in the air?  I don't think saying that wind influence in the area where they were gathered will always be enough explanation, as the water could be extracted from the earth to form the spell, where it would have more earth influence?

Quote:
Erm, no, ounia can't be cooled. They're not exactly physical things. They express properties (such as coldness), which influence the object they are a part of.

Would I be able to say that the water is cooled?

Quote:
I see no explanation of what causes the ice to move. Well, to be fair, we don't really have a good explanation for how it works with fire either, as Silfer said. However, I have been pondering for a while about how fireballs are made to move. The idea I have is that since Fire wishes to be Wind, the Fire ounia of the fireball that is conjured up naturally link to the Wind ounia all around them, and thus the Wind property of movement already affects the fireball, and all the fire mage has to do is to point it in a direction. It'd also explain why the fire mage initially has to 'hold' the fireball in place, I think (either by actually willing the Fire ounia to stay in the same place, or reducing the Wind influene on the fireball; I'm not sure). Now, Water wishes to be Earth, so I don't see a reason for it to naturally form links with Wind. However, perhaps the ice can still be given movement by having the mage create links between the Water ounia in the ice and Wind ounia in the surroundings? I'm not sure Sphere 2 can achieve this, but since this is Sphere 3, I don't think this should be too difficult.

I see.  Creating links between the water and wind ounia would have been my first proposal, but I was under the impression that elemental magi could not create links. x_x

Quote:
In one of the more recent spell entries (I think it might have been one of my own), Arti proposed making a distinction between what he calls 'Focus' and 'Target'. I don't think those terms are very good, but at least they are much shorter than what I would have come up with. The distinction isn't really needed in most cases, but for 'projectile spells' like this one, it is, I think. From what I understand, Focus is what I think of as 'the target of the spell', ie. where the effect is created. For spells like Fireball, and this one, it is the spot just in front of the mage's palm, here the ounia are gathered. Target, or what I think of as 'the target of the effect' is what you want the effect you've created to affect, which, in this case, is what you're firing the ice at. I think, you might want to make more mention of the Focus here, and perhaps remove some of the less helpful details concerning the Target.

I'll try to do that

Quote:
We haven't really defined what reagents actually do, aside from assisting the mage with casting the spell, so perhaps you might want to remove this statement. Just the stuff you've written in the rest of this section should be alright.

Alright

Quote:
The unit 'blink' though corresponding roughly to 'second' is meant to be very imprecise, so it would not be correct to use terms like 'five blinks'. 'Several blinks' would be a better alternative.

Ok, I will edit that

Quote:
Hmm...I'm not sure about this. Well, I suppose it could be so if the water is really near the Focus, but otherwise it'd take a while to move the Water ounia over, don't you think?

I actually just assumed *bad thing*that water ounia could be moved quickly if the caster was at Level 8.  To be more realistic I will lengthen the casting time

Quote:
A little too long, IMO. Like I said, continous effects of this sort should be pretty draining. A similar-looking spell, Rays of Heat, lasts only 8 seconds at level 7. While that sounds pretty short to me (I mean, at level 7, you're considerd really powerful already), I don't think you should be sustaining this spell for more than, say, a minute or so.

More than a little too long, really.  I will make the edit.

Quote:
That's a pretty strong blast.

Too strong?  

Quote:
The presence of a good source of Water ounia should also be mentioned here, I think. It still is an enhancing measure, even if it's already been mentioned elsewhere in the entry.

Ach! I forgot that.

I have not made edits, but first of all I would like to thank you for what you have done here.  Already I have learned a bit more about magic by reading your comments.  I promise that I will try to do better! ^_^  

Edited by: Zacheius Aquadel at: 7/11/06 15:24

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 July 2006, 09:34:00 »

Quote:
I understand. What you're saying is that the droplets being surrounded by wind is enough to keep them in the air? I don't think saying that wind influence in the area where they were gathered will always be enough explanation, as the water could be extracted from the earth to form the spell, where it would have more earth influence?

Well, what happens in Sphere 3 is that links are broken and formed again.  When drawing water from the earth, you'd be breaking the Water-Earth links and creating new ones, which I think should be Water-Wind, considering its new location, as well as Water-Water, in order to have the water droplets actually form.  It's not that there is a lot of Wind influence where the droplets are gathered, but that since there is so much Wind ounia in the area, there is a significant amount of Wind influence on the droplets.  Think of it as a sort of natural enchantment.  I'm not entirely certain it works this way, but it does make a lot of sense to me.  

Quote:
Would I be able to say that the water is cooled?

Well, I suppose that works.  

Quote:
I see. Creating links between the water and wind ounia would have been my first proposal, but I was under the impression that elemental magi could not create links. x_x

All magic has to do with manipulating xeua links (except possibly Sphere 2 elemental magic; I haven't figured that one out yet).  The difference is that elemental magi are taught with a focus on the ounia rather than the links, eg. Sphere 1 increases/decreases the influence of the ounia of the element, or that Sphere 3 adds/removes the ounia of that element.  Whether the elemental mage is aware of it or not (they should be, I think, but the time they are advanced enough to have learnt Sphere 3), the actual effects are still due to altering how the ounia are linked to each other.  

Quote:
Too strong?

Well, I'm not sure, but I suppose not really.  I was just remarking that it must be pretty strong if it could dent metal.  

Quote:
I have not made edits, but first of all I would like to thank you for what you have done here. Already I have learned a bit more about magic by reading your comments. I promise that I will try to do better! ^_^

:D  

Pure Ranger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 July 2006, 01:33:00 »

You stole Ice Barrage from a game on the net it's called runescape THIEF>:  

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 July 2006, 01:48:00 »

And in how many fantasy worlds / games is there a fireball spell?

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 July 2006, 14:55:00 »

:lol   Ice barrage was going to be Water barrage if I didn't proposed to turn it into ice. Though I've played Runscape never reached a single lvl cause I died of boredom in the preparation course.

Magic is the same here and in China, isn't rare to find spells that look like spells from other RPGs, God would crush you if you made a right for spells, elves and dwarves.

BTW, you could say I stole the Thievish winds Idea from Saint Seya's Shaka attack of Ten Bou Hou Rin that takes your senses... problem is that only now I knew that Ten Bou Hou Rin exsisted cause in my country Saint Seya chapters never reached that chapter.  

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Miés'éfer, Sky master.

Edited by: so orril miesefer  at: 7/16/06 22:59

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Zacheius Aquadel
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2006, 17:37:00 »

Mr. Ranger, please refrain from calling me names.  

I'm going to try to update this spell by Thursday, I've just been bus with work and other things. :hammer  

Edited by: Zacheius Aquadel at: 7/19/06 1:37

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 September 2006, 16:13:29 »

Going to finish this up since it doesn't look like Zacheius is ever going to find this board. 

Edit: Done.  Marv, your comments are needed.  :D
« Last Edit: 27 September 2006, 06:34:11 by Mina » Logged

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2006, 01:25:59 »

Duration
The spell will last until the caster has run out of the source of ounia, or until focus is lost. Magi who are new to the spell can usually safely keep up the spell for about a minutes. More powerful magi might be able to sustain it for twice that duration.
One s to many there. Otherwise looking fine. Unless there's something you still want to change I'd put the arrow up.
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2006, 08:09:14 »

grin

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]