Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bloodstone  (Read 2950 times)
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« on: 14 August 2006, 20:06:51 »

Bloodstone

Overview

Bloodstone is a very peculiar mineral which is known throughout the whole of south western Nybelmar. Found in the cursed lands of Venlaken Enclave, it is famous for its rarity as well as its unusual properties, as well as its reaction with a strange substance, blood.

The Zhunite, in particular the Marmarrans, use bloodstone to augment their rarest weapons with deadly capabilities and, as such, Bloodstone is notorious for leaving death in its wake.

Appearance

It is uncommon to find a Bloodstone that hasn’t already been bound to a blade, and even when you do you might dismiss it as a mere pebble (which is strange as they aren’t found near the sea). However on closer inspection you realise this isn’t a worthless stone. In their natural form Bloodstones look quite ordinary. Although they vary in size, most, which are intact, are the size of a man’s palm, and normally only a few nailsbreadths in thickness. They are a deep, dark purple (which is commonly mistaken for a black) and, like the pebbles they resemble, are smooth to touch. Before they are treated bloodstones are incredibly malleable. They are so malleable that simply pressing in your thumb hard enough can make a relatively deep indentation. Untreated bloodstones are almost like clay, although anyone with any common sense will know that this is a lot more valuable.

After Bloodstones have been soaked in blood they begin to change. They begin to harden to an incredible degree, so much that a strike with the hardest hammer wouldn’t even dent it. After this process Bloodstones are a lot more rigid and sharp, but this is normally because they are cut this way. They also loose their deep purple hue in favour for a chilling dark red. There is common saying from the Zhun that says “ See a purple stone, it’s your delight, See red stone, it’s your plight”.

Territory

One of the main reasons why Bloodstones are so rare is their territory. The most abundant sources of Bloodstone are found in some the most cursed lands in the whole of Caelereth, the Venlaken Enclave. There are only a handful of miners, human and dwarf alike, that would dare venture into the Daedhirian realm, and those that return are never unscarred.

There are however small deposits of Bloodstone to the west of the enclave. These deposits, however, reside on Marmarran territory, which is almost as bad as the Venlaken Enclave.  Marmarrans, being the clever and pragmatic people that they are, guard these with ruthless efficiency. It is because of the combination of these two reasons that somebody who owns an untreated Bloodstone is undoubtedly brave, as they have either witnessed the horrors of the enclave or stolen from the Marmarran witches.   

Usages

Bloodstones are traditionally used to line blades and tip arrowheads, which, thanks to the Bloodstone’s properties, is a relatively easy process. The process begins with an untreated bloodstone.

The Bloodstone is heated up, causing it to weaken even more. The Bloodstone becomes like dough. The craftsmen then, using his hands, moulds the bloodstone into a rough sphere shape. You may ask how is it possible for the craftsmen to touch such burning hot rock but the answer is simple. Bloodstones, unless directly exposed to heat, do not warm up. It is so that a few seconds after the Bloodstone is taken from the flame it cools down to its original heat.

The second stage however requires much more skill. A blade is taken and an unbelievably thin layer of the rock is sliced off, just like cutting through butter. At this stage mistakes cannot be tolerated as, unlike the clay it is similar too, once a piece of bloodstone is severed it doesn’t fit back into the original piece. The layer is slowly placed around the side of the blade, the craftsmen being especially careful not to cut it. After it has been placed onto the blade the excess is scraped off of the sides, which is either used to tip an arrowhead or is simply thrown away.

The blade is then submerged in blood. Although cattle or goat blood is  more commonly used it is said that only the blood taken from a man can harden the Bloodstone to its fullest extent. Nobody is sure what is actually in the blood that hardens the Bloodstone, but many people are content knowing that it works, not caring how or why. After about four hours the hardening will be finished, and the blade removed to reveal a demonic red rim of near unbreakable rock. You could just say why not make a blade out of Bloodstone. The idea would make sense, but in practicality it doesn’t work. Hardened Bloodstone is far too brittle to have a blade made from it, and would snap incredibly easily.

During the Dark Plauge wars the Anpagans discovered that leaving bloodstone in oil a made it break up and eventually to dissolve. As such the Anpagans created a special form of arrow, whose head would shatter after contact, releasing the oil into the bloodstone joints. This design was continued to create the Anpagan 'Shatterhead' arrow, substituting the oil for various acids and poisons.
Origin

It is rumoured that Bloodstone is in fact a product of Daedhirian magic. Although through Daedhirian magic one can continue to live after their body has died, the body continues to decay. Sooner or later the body breaks down so much that the body literally falls apart. The Daedhirians created bloodstone as a means to hold together the broken bodies, although this strictly restricted movement.

During the Dark Plauge wars between the Daedhirians and their former bretheren, the Anpagans, the Anpagans noticed the means which held the abhuman warriors together. An Anpagan delegation was sent to destroy the Daedhirians' supplies of Bloodstone, so they could not repair they fallen.

As the Daedhirians learnt of this they hid buried Bloodstone in secret locations, creating these so called 'deposits'. The location of these is said to be known only to Daedhirian Lords, but some brave treasure hunters have had the luck to find a deposit by chance.

Myth/Lore

Over the years there have been many different explanations about why Bloodstone has such a strange reaction to blood. It was suggested by a Zhunite philosopher that, even after death, an essence of the subject's lifeforce remains flowing in the blood. He said that the blood contained the same essence that the Daedhirians manipulate to turn themselves into the undead monstrosities that they are.

He believed that the Daedhirian mage which created it must of used a similar form of magic when creating bloodstone, so that once it aabsorbs the lifeforce (i.e the blood) it's properties change. Although his ideas were never confirmed, and to this day the Daedhirians still do not claim it was their creation, this idea is what has been adopted among the more educated groups.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2006, 17:29:26 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2006, 21:26:20 »

You work fast! We were discussing this just before lunch!

PS: I really need to learn speed-reading...
« Last Edit: 14 August 2006, 21:29:22 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2006, 21:27:18 »

famed among the "Zhunite" people

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2006, 21:31:01 »

Hmm maybe you can think of some myth/lore as well - maybe alluding to the spilling of blood inevitably and regretably hardening the heart/soul?

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2006, 06:00:47 »

I like the idea. I also think that it adds some more interesting possible situations to the Enclave, and yes, I kinda see the dwarves trying to find ways into the Enclave to find these stones.

I'll have to read this in more details though (I've only skimmed through it).
Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2006, 11:06:35 »

I agree with Coren, you need to have some sort of a myth or legend about it. Also a little more info on how and when were these stones first discovered, might be quite nice.
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2006, 19:21:57 »

Wasn't there somekind of war between the Daedhirians and the Anpagans? Could they of been discovered then? Is there any record of any Zhunite people going into the Enclave?

Decipher

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2006, 06:24:41 »

You guys sure this is a good idea?  We already have quite a few 'uber-substances' as it is.  Isn't mithril good enough if you want a really rare substances that can be used to make weapons? 

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2006, 01:42:25 »

Origin section on the way

@Mina: I would hardly call this an uber substance, and is mithril even avaliable on Nybelmar?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2006, 03:33:08 »

Ok, some comments from here:

- Overview is a bit short, could contain a bit more basic information.
- What if you combine a bloodstone with any other kind of fluid aside from blood? Like water, or poison, or anything like that? Will there be no reaction at all?
- What kind of blood is used nowadys to make blades or arrowheads? Animal blood or blood of an enemy?
- Some Myth/Lore stuff would fit in here very well. For example a mythical kind of explanation why blood reacts to the stone, maybe people believed that the soul was contained in the blood or something.

At any rate: A great, very precise and well written entry, Decipher, and creative also! I think it's a great idea that works very well. - Hope we get a last update on this one, so that we can prepare it already at this week's update :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2006, 18:59:12 »

I tried to add a myth, but it seems a bit odd, as if it should be the Origin section. Do you think it's ok?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2006, 17:34:00 »

Okeydokey, entry is now prepared.  grin

Made one Myth/Lore section out of the last two sections, fits now much better methinks, as also the Deadhirian explanation is petty much lore. There were a bunch of misspellings, typos etc. in the latest additions unlike at the main entry, Decipher! - Better read things again before you post them!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2006, 13:50:45 »

nice one ;)

[...and, ehem, Arti... it's dAEdhirians (not deadhirians), just for the record LOL]

Anyway, I'll try to mention those Shatterhead arrows in my future entries in the area, if you don't mind, Decipher... That's how this part of the world can be fleshed out, like any other part of Caelereth - through collaboration - so I really appreciate when somebody goes a bit beyond just an "assigned" area and start figuring out the connections by themselves.
colossuem

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2006, 04:11:23 »

Maybe you could add the "shatterhead arrow" in the weapons section idea

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2006, 08:37:38 »

How about using bloodstone in mechanical contraptions. With the Anapagan tendency to make all sorts of fancy mechanical devices I would think that atleast some of them have been used for gears.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 100
Online Ever: 337
(Yesterday at 02:38:29)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)