Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: "Flashy" Walkthrough  (Read 10040 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 01 September 2006, 04:40:35 »

Jonael has experimented a bit with Flash yesterday... He made some sort of rough draft to give you an idea how he could imagine the site tour introduction to be like, click here to get the interactive idea.

Quote from his mail:

"The idea is basically to transfer the walkthrough introduction into an interactive one. I did the first small bit.
Now the artwork and design is junk, but that wasn't my intention. I thought that it would be fun to ask some of the santharian artists to draw out the separate backgrounds that appear.
The programming has glitches, I realise that..."

Comment from my side:

Well, the initial idea in general of course sounds cool - and it's nice to see that you can put something together very quickly so that people get the idea. But as with many Flash projects you shouldn't forget: There's much more required to make it work. For example we simple do not have the artistic resources, as we don't have voluntary artists (except perhaps Judy and Faugar who could theoretically help), but there's no guarantee on that neither. And you might need a bunch of pictures plus some sort of interface icons and such. The whole thing would need to be planned meticulously until the last detail. I assume you have the knowledge to do the Flash, but still it would be quite some work to get it all right should we have such pictures.

Flash realization is though, you need to rely on the sources...  huh

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2006, 05:29:59 »

I think it's a pretty cool idea. I know nothing about flash or anything. I would have fun playing with it..

And I pick dibs on the random NPC right there *points vaguely to the screen*

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2006, 05:53:14 »

I don't know how much you're into more complex Flash stuff, Jonael, but with this "talk to a Santharian celebrity" there surely are interesting possibilities...

Just imagine you could e.g. pick such a celebrity (we have several key persons illustrated!) and then you could post a question in a textbox, which means: ask a person about a certain keyword. The movie could then try to load the text from a textfile and if the filename is found it could display something. This way quite a bit of interaction would be possible, it wouldn't need to be very complex - plus, if such a general scheme could be programmed, the persons could get more answers to keywords in the course of time, we then would just have to add more textfiles with the name of the keyword. Well, that's the theory. But I like that idea :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Baromosa

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2006, 07:07:02 »

well it looks like your getting there. a step in the right direction. tell me, are you thinking of expanding this further besides an intro?

I walk through the fire seeking answers, only to find new mysteries in the ashes.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2006, 05:59:41 »

How about such an expandable "dialogue" idea, Jonael? Do you have that much Flash proficiency to make something like that work?

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2006, 23:19:35 »

Sorry for hte late noticing of this thread, somehow it escaped my view...

But as with many Flash projects you shouldn't forget: There's much more required to make it work. For example we simple do not have the artistic resources, as we don't have voluntary artists (except perhaps Judy and Faugar who could theoretically help)

As for that, Im doing the labourous task of going through the entire Artist Workshop section of the forum (currently on pg 8) and checking all the artwork available... As a matter of fact, most of the stuff is there, just some chunks would actually have to be done from scratch. I can actually salvage areas of other wrtworks and in photoshop modify them in such a way to fit the walkthrough, eg: people standing around, wall decorations...

The whole thing would need to be planned meticulously

Definetly, but if others are interested in it, and would be willing to help out with the work, I would definetly go through all the plannign involved with pleasure. Big projects with multiple people involved make it worth doing a lot of planning and work.

I don't know how much you're into more complex Flash stuff, Jonael, but with this "talk to a Santharian celebrity" there surely are interesting possibilities...

Just imagine you could e.g. pick such a celebrity (we have several key persons illustrated!) and then you could post a question in a textbox, which means: ask a person about a certain keyword. The movie could then try to load the text from a textfile and if the filename is found it could display something. This way quite a bit of interaction would be possible, it wouldn't need to be very complex - plus, if such a general scheme could be programmed, the persons could get more answers to keywords in the course of time, we then would just have to add more textfiles with the name of the keyword. Well, that's the theory. But I like that idea :)

That sounds quite complex. I'd have to see into that and research a bit, but I got contacts ^^ I can surely check out whether that is doable for such a project

well it looks like your getting there. a step in the right direction. tell me, are you thinking of expanding this further besides an intro?

Actually the project would only span across the introductory walk through that is available on the site already. If many people are interested though and this initial plan goes smooth, then some expansion could definetly be worth looking into

---

There thats a reply to all questions. This 'demo' i provided is only about the first few frames, and very very very rough... as you can see I used website icons and cursors, and the backgrounds are simple sketches... I got some images that i picked up from the website to update and give it a bit more of a 'feel'.

Artimidor, as you said this would require planning, and Im aware of that and if necesary will get it all done (will be on paper as most projects should be planned) and Im sure it would work out just fine. As for your speech option, there I dont quite follow what goes on. If you could please specify a bit more the idea? It sounds like a quite intricate and complex programming structure... Otherwise, programmed conversations such as:

"blah blah"

[]You respond yes
[]You look at the man strangely and walk on

(With more options ofcourese) would already create a very friendly and fun environment for the tester.

PS: The file you uploaded... its not original size is it? Or is it because of my screen's dimensions that its all 'pulled big' and lagy?
« Last Edit: 12 September 2006, 23:22:31 by Jonael » Logged

Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2006, 03:03:47 »

Just a question. I know that this is still in the works, but who all would be "characters" in it? Would it be a "members only" type deal (if so then, even though he's not a member, then I vote that Jonael be in it) or would we allow apprentices?

That's just my question. Yup. *nods*

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2006, 03:06:58 »

The file I uploaded is precisely the file you provided, Jonael - you can resize Flash movies of course, so if you click on the link to open it, it will display probably fullscreen initially, for which it wasn't necessarily designed. You can resize the browser window accordingly.  I don't see any real lag though, even if I open the movie in full size.

To make this talk idea more precise: This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the introduction movie (here we could have predetermined dialogues through which the user just clicks through). The talk by keyword idea was just an idea I had to make Santharia more interactive. So I try to explain:

At the role playing board people lately thought (or already introduced) a concept where each member has a thread, a "house thread", and people visit his/her house and talk to get some information. So I thought: It could be possible to put readymade answers to specific questions in files, which are displayed when someone asks about this keyword. Flash offers a bunch of possibilities to play with, so it shouldn't be too difficult to realize that. Such a dialogue could be combined with more complex Flash stuff (map e.g.), so that you can pick a location and then talk to someone, but it isn't necessary. I'll try to sketch a very basic dialogue/Flash movie how that could work:

Imagine a Flash movie that displays a combobox on top, if you open it, you'll find three names. E.g. Bard Judith, Artimidor, Talia etc. Below you see a character portrait - once you select a name, the picture below changes. To the right you see a scroll or something, and below the scroll a textbox where you can enter a word, and a "submit" button or something like that. If you select "Artimidor" you get some introductory text displayed: "You see the wise sage, blah, blah, blah..." Now the user can type a word in the textbox whatever he/she likes and the character will know something to reply to that or not. If not, something like "Artimidor looks at you quizzically and doesn't seem to have an answer to your question." could be shown. You can ask Artimidor for example about "Santhala" and he might tell you a few lines. While doing so you might hear some more keywords, e.g. he might mention the "Library". Then you can enter "Library" and get another response. And so on. The keywords don't necessarily need to be obvious, you can try your luck asking this and that. But the discussion could be guided to a certain degree by suggesting further keywords one might ask. E.g. Artimidor could answer: "Well, good question, but I guess the dwarves are more Judy's domain. You might try asking her about the dwarves." Then the user can click on the combobox, select "Bard Judith", get her picture displayed and continue talking with her.

The discussions would be simple. All what would be required is that the relation between selected name and keyword files is there, there wouldn't be any counter questions from the Santharian character etc. It could be further expanded later if needed, but you'd get enough interaction with that kind of stuff already. You could make funny and weird guys, we still have a lot of characters to use from the started Nepris game (see here for a bunch of faces). Depending on how we do the dialogues we could even make little "adventures", even if we don't have any inventory etc. But people could send you around from one person to the other.

Technical stuff:
- The combobox would be filled by reading a textfile (e.g. "people.txt").
- The character picture is loaded by the Flash movie - it tries to load a file with the same filename as the name displayed.
- The Flash movie also tries to access a folder with the name of the character and searches on startup for a textfile called "intro.txt" for example. If it finds it, it is displayed.
- Every time the user enters a keyword, the Flash movie tries to load a filename with that name in the e.g. "artimidor" folder , e.g. "santhala.txt". If it finds it, the contents are displayed, otherwise the file "dontknow.txt" is loaded and displayed.
- If we do it that way, the Flash movie itself would never have to change and remain extremely small and therefore fast to load. One can easily upload more texts to expand the "question vocabulary" of persons, a new person would be added by adding another line in the "persons.txt" file, a new picture would be uploaded with the character's name, and a bunch of textfiles according to selected keywords. Each member could expand his/her repertoire over time and give other people the fun of discovering other Santharian characters more and more.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2006, 03:10:07 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2006, 05:20:31 »

Arti, just a quick comment on the home threads....heh....that's kinda mine and thus, I'm the one holding it up. Still have to finish the example one....heh...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2006, 03:51:12 »

Concerning your previous question, Kareesh: It's much too early to tell who will be able to add a character etc. - we don't even know if it is workable, it is just an idea yet. Personally I think that it should be possible to do, and if had the time I'd try it myself because I think it could be really a funny experience - and something I haven't seen anywhere else yet. But yeah, way too early for any specifics yet.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2006, 04:33:28 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2006, 04:27:35 »

Im currently working on the desigs and idea stage of the project, all of this on paper so far though.

What I would be interested in though, is whether anyone on the forum or of the santharian dream project would be interested in working with me on this. As far as creation of the file itself, I will do that alone to keep it simple, but ideas and artwork from others would be greatly apreciated. Conversation scripts, or other such ideas for example would be greatly apreciated. In summary, this could become one of those projects involving many memebers and could turn out to be great fun

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2006, 06:52:48 »

I'd be interested, Jonael, but I don't know how much time I will have. Right now, I don't even know which lessons I will have to take, and they start on monday :S But yeah, if I can, I'd definitely like to help :)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2006, 03:43:43 »

I think the convo thing would be better, me thinks, if like, you actually had the person's own words....if that made any sense.

I offer my services to you but I'm no artist nor do I do any flash stuff. Ideas I could help with.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2006, 04:06:01 »

Person's own words?  huh

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2006, 04:35:26 »

Nice, how lovely of some people to show interest. grin

Alright some mini-briefings:

Project Name: A chat with Artimidor Federkiel
Interface: Flash

Requiered:

[] Background Image - Preferably some artwork of a study, quite close up considering the image of Artimidor used is also very close up. If you know of any image that would qualify for this, or wish to do one, let me know

[] Conversation Transcript - Basically the plan is to have 5 basic 'strings of conversation'. the is:

Arti: The world of Caelereth is filled with wonderful things
User: []Ask about the gods []Ask about the empires []Ask about fauna
Etc...

5 individual transects should be planned. Afterwards, once the basics have been set up, we can then further branch into the conversation strings to make it more expansive. Please remember that at the end of the 'string' you have designed the conversation should be able to link to the beginning to the conversation so that the user can be redirected to the first 'frame' where he/she can then select a different thread of conversation.

I understand this may all sound a little more complex than it is, but feel free to ask any questions or have a go at it.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 5
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 4
Total: 4

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)