Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tribal Dialects within the Santharian Kingdom  (Read 22856 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 04 September 2006, 13:04:37 »

Ok, here's a start on the 'tribal dialect' examples. I went through every human tribe listed for the Kingdom and refamiliarized myself with their essential cultural differences and significant points.  I tried to make the high points of their dialect accord with how they were described - elegant, casual, proud, practical, etcetera - and I hope the result is pleasing. 

You'll see plenty of detail, but there's lots of wiggle room and spots that need help and polish, so jump in and start commenting!  I've also included some possible names which the Compendiumists collating this essay might have given to each dialect, for simplicity's sake - thus the Helcrani dialect of Tharian can be known as "Heltharian".

Here it is - have fun reading!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AVENNORIANS – speak ‘Aventharian’ –  adventuresome merchant folk,  a mingling of tribes and cross-cultural influences

Though most Avennorians are sensitive about their heritage, it is still possible to distinguish the Glandorian explorers’ legacy from the subsumed local Darian ancestry, strictly with a careful ear.  Apart from the more obvious clues of class, wealth, and occupation, there are linguistic tendencies that run in the two backgrounds which make it simple to demarcate with a few general rules.

Glandorians, usually of the merchant caste, tend to express themselves more formally – they are both ambitious and non-committal, cautious to commit themselves in a bargain but aggressive salesfolk when a deal must be struck for their side.  Their speech is characterized by drawling, careful grammatical constructions,  and use of many archaic or even foreign words.  They prefer to avoid contractions if not absolutely awkward, and try not to use direct statements and imperatives, which they consider blunt or even rude. 

“I would suggest supping your baia’an cha’ah without the spoon still in the cha cup, sirrah.   It would not be so likely to strike you in the eye, methinks.”

Darians (such as the fisher folk along the coast),  on the other hand, tend to be more casual, friendly, and outspoken.  They also drawl their words somewhat but use older grammatical constructions, and less archaic words.  ‘Ye’, however, is a hallmark of the Darian Avennorian dialect, as are their dropped 'g's on any gerund form of verb. 

" If ye were wantin' to buy some ale, ye'd best be buyin' now ere the inn closes, master traveller..."

Of course there are many variants and combinations from the strongly formal expression of the first example, and the rough peasant speech of the second.   Most Avennorians will use a style of speech somewhere between the two.

CALTHARIANS – speak Caltharite –  considered unsophisticated and rustic by other tribes, a pacific clan involved in cloth weaving and dying

Their speech is seen as casual and rather lacking in refinement, as it features slurring, contractions,  dropped articles (such as ‘the’, ‘a’) and some omitted pronouns.  Caltharite often makes a question take the place of a statement, giving them a rather insecure or doubtful tone at times.  However, from a bardic perspective, the dialect is delightfully lilting, as even statements may have the uptone of a question at their end, giving a conversation between two Caltharians the flow of a musical phrase or the lyricism of a shaman’s chant.

"Would'nt've done best, just offer him rug?  Shouldn'ta bartered so tight, m'thinks.”

“You’ve t’be jesting?  Price’s so low, we’ll make no profit as ‘tis, m’lad!”

They have produced little written records and their histories are scanty, perhaps by design.  However, they are a rich source of oral transmission; ballads, folk songs, epic tales, and other fascinating items have all been collected by travelling Compendium bards and brought back to be disseminated to the rest of Santharia.

(insert little folk song here)

CENTORAURIANS – speak Centharian - Stoic, skilled horsemen and shepherds, both phlegmatic and ironical in their approach to life.   Distinguished for their terse speech and simple way of life.

Short, clipped sentences, very plosive consonants.  The phrasing is blunt and the grammar kept simple.  They also tend to drop their articles when convenient, but do have the quirk of using future tense constructions more frequently.  They also use contractions freely, but do not slur them as the Caltharians, for example, do.  Their dialect, formally ‘Centharian’,  was described as ‘horse-trottian’ by one disgruntled bard who was evicted from Milkengrad, and it’s now a catchphrase when jesting (out of Centoraurian earshot!) about the culture.

“You’ll be riding in the morning.  Gate’ll be opened at six bells, be on your way by then.”

Their writing is kept short and simple as well; publications apart from approved books are unofficially restricted to three pages or less, the famous Thysleus I having stated that ‘if a man couldn’t express an idea in that space, it was probably not worth remembering’.  Their poetry tends to run to chants and repetitive songs with a distinct rhythm (best not referred to as a ‘gallop’, despite the temptation), usually unrhymed but heavily alliterative and assonant.

“Farian sought her, though faithless she was / Rescued and wrought her from ruin and wrong / Brought her from famine and bartered her blood / Set her as queen in the quick of his heart / Foolish was Farian, as he would find…”  (The Lay of Farian, anonymous, 1350s)

ERPHERONIANS –  speak Erpheriane - Elegant, arrogant, and diverse, they are a militaristic but highly intellectual people.   Their language reflects this, with its tendency to use active, elaborate constructions and nested phrases, in writing as well as in speech.   Precision is considered important and takes precedence over brevity, so a larger range of vocabulary often features in Erpheriane.

“There is no reason for me to believe that, should you return, you would keep your promise and recompense me what is my due.  You owe it me now, and will without further evasion or delay, pay down the coin on this spot!”

Some of the most formal and beautiful scholastic treatises have come from this tribal group, and it has produced more than its share of epic poetry as well.

Affectations and slang words tend to run their course fairly swiftly but extravagantly among the Erpheronians, with their tendency to go to extremes, so that the youth of a city may be even less comprehensible to their elders than the usual! Currently these phrases - and many more peculiar - are heard about the streets:

“Cabal the concept!” (used when someone thinks the discussion is too farfetched - even for the fancy of an adolescent…)

“Vouchsafe, vouchsafer, vouchsafest…”
(rather pedestrian humour, but handily used to imply that an individual is being too talkative or too personal)

“Jitch!” (a multi-purpose exclamation or expletive when something goes wrong.  Should not be used by females, so naturally, IS -  for the purpose of shocking their peers or elders.)

EYELIANS – speak Eylite and Eytharian (see below) -  Renowned beastmasters, one of the older tribes.  Traditional, mystic, gentle.   Their close rapport with the beasts they tame, and their close relationship with nature has produced a thoughtful, patient folk.  Eyelians are known for choosing their words carefully and for layering meanings, in speech, song, poem, drama, and literature alike. They have produced some excellent philosophers, whose writings are respected throughout the Kingdom.   They are also known for being eloquent salesfolk who can convince even the most skeptical of buyers about the quality and efficacy of their wares.

Note:  “Though the Eyelians have their own language due to their derivation and cannot be understood by people who know only Tharian, they can to a certain degree communicate in the "beast-language".”   However, “Many Eyelians live already in villages and towns like other Santharians do and have also accustomed to habits of other tribes, their typical Eyelian orientations and alignments being reduced to a minimum…”   It would seem from other internal evidence in the Eyelian entry that they do indeed speak Tharian as well as the original Eyelite dialect, so perhaps this should be made note of!  (Excerpts from the Eyelian Tribe Entry,  written by Capher and Lady Tiaa)

(Examples to come)

HELCRANI –  speak Heltharian -  Proud, emotional, noble and artistic.  Their past military exploits and courage has produced a brave and aggressive people, though this has been tempered by the variety of races within the region which has led to a very multi-cultural society.

Similar to Erpheronian dialect:  very precise, formal, archaisms and elegant constructions.  They tend to avoid contractions and short forms., and punctuation is set in with precision.  Semicolons feature more prominently than dashes in their writing.  Use of  ‘which’ and ‘of’ plus a descriptive phrase rather than a simple adjective is more often seen in this dialect.  Artistic repetition and rephrasings are frequently found, as in the examples from Helcranian literature given below.

“The man of warlike spirit wields a sword which is bright; polished to a keen edge it throws off sparks.”

"I shall not consider retreating on this point, lest he call me out for a coward, lest he name me craven!" 

KYRANIANS (underdeveloped) –  speak Kyrane– strongly medieval, somewhat traditional and pious

Archaic words and a peculiar grammatical styling makes the Kyranian speech stand out, even among the variety found in the Kingdom of Santharia.  Their unique dialect often uses ‘do be’, ‘does be’, ‘did be’ combined with a gerund verb in their sentences. 

“If you do be having the bellygripe, you’d do well to ask Mistress Qualora for aid.  She did be brewing up her simples at her sister’s, the herbalist,  but if she do be there now, I know not. ”

Written, the same rules apply, though the Kyranians would transcribe the sentences above with a special shorthand character, ‘db ’, To represent ‘do & be’, since it occurs so often in their speech:

“If you db having the bellygripe, you’d do well to ask Mistress Qualora for aid.  She db brewing up her simples at her sister’s, the herbalist,  but if she db there now, I know not. ”

(Oooops!  'db' should be replaced with the greek letter 'delta' or something similar, in the example above.  Sorry about that, people!)

SOPHRONIANS (underdeveloped)  – speak Sophroni - matriarchal, barbaric, militaristic

(Examples to come)

STRATANIANS -  speak Tharian, Shendartongue, and Strataslang.   Traders, and settled nomads.  A stew of races, tribes, and peoples pass through the great port of Strata, and almost every substance or material that can be exported or imported, so these folk have truly ‘seen everything’.   They speak fluent Tharian with plenty of slang words from other tribes and races – even other continents – and with a bit of sailor’s lilt, but have kept the guttural Shendarian accent.

Their dialect is characterized by dropping some vowels or slurring them into the indeterminant vowel sound ‘uh’,  but keeping consonants clear.  In writing this unique sound is often represented by an apostrophe showing the dropped vowel, thus:

“Which way were y' thinking of going t' reach th' port?  If y’ keep on that way, y’d find the stockyards ‘nd the fish market, but ‘tis the long way ‘round.”

For stronger accents it has even been written as ‘uh’ or ‘eh’, resulting in recorded dialogue that appears as below:

“I told yeh, we duhn’t want strangers poking uhround our warehouses.  Be off with yeh, before we spike yer tail with a halbard er two!”

This sort of speech is usually reserved for the lower class of Stratanian merchant or peasant, and should not be overused in writing, but it visually shows the way in which the sound falls on the ear very effectively!

« Last Edit: 05 September 2006, 03:16:03 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2006, 18:58:30 »

What about the Shendar?

Brilliant work Judith! Just reading this makes my hands pulsate for writing!

PS: Stratarians remind of the Scottish!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2006, 18:59:28 »

Next should come the elves!

I am so excited!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2006, 02:55:15 »

Elves?  (wide eyes) Don't look at me, I'm not the elven expert!  Besides, they HAVE their own language(s)....

However, since you've got me thinking about it.... I expect that elves speaking Tharian would tend to use a more formal, calm styling.  They would probably avoid the active tense and use passive constructions to demonstrate courtesy, and as a reflection of their timeless perspective.  I doubt they would use contractions (most second-language speakers find them difficult) but might appreciate metaphor and other artistic ways of expressing themselves, even in human prose.

For example...   "The bargain should be made with us now, if it is to be made at all.  As a Eur'oak chooses to lose its leaves in due season, so a sentient being must come to act in due course.  Assistance will be rendered to you, should you require it..."

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2006, 03:14:37 »

Yes, this approach is indeed very useful - thanks for taking the time to put that all together and keep the tribal differences in mind, Judy, and give them a good linguistic expression :) Makes very much sense from what I read as well! I guess the Shendar will be a task for Talia then to complement what we have so far.

I guess now that these tribal dialects are sketched - some more additions still required here and there of course - we should move one and bring for example the whole Erpheronian passage plus the name also developed name definitions on the site in an entry called "Erpheriane Dialect and Naming" (mayhaps "Aerpheriane" would fit better). And then move on tribe by tribe. I could add some more explanatory stuff at the this Erpheronian entry, making the picture a bit rounder. The entry surely wouldn't be perfect if added to the site right now, but it will help tremendously to know how to write and talk and give names in "Erpheriane". ;) - What do you think?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2006, 14:17:40 »

Actually, Art, if you like what we have so far, :)  I have an alternative suggestion.

Don't create a separate entry, as I've seemed to imply above.  Rather, though it's more work in the short term,  I'd suggest adding one more heading to the Tribal Entry Template, and to each tribal entry... "Language: Speech, Literature, Dialect, and Names"

In this way,  when reading through the entry on the Erpheronians, you will encounter the heading and the relevant information, in context.  Someone wanting to roleplay an Erpheronian wouldn't think to look for a separate essay or entry for 'how to name them' or 'how they speak' - but seeing it there provides one more wonderful level of detail and culture that will flow together to create a picture of the tribe.  As you say, it will help researchers tremendously.

And if you like "Aerpheriane" better, by all means!  It shall be so... (bows)

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2006, 20:08:14 »

Okay, I know my comments regarding languages aren't really welcome, but I'm going to state them nonetheless; I just like to see things done properly.  Of course, it's entirely possible that some of my comments will turn out to be wrong, since I'm just an amateur after all. 

Anyway, first of all, this entry seems to reinforce the idea that Tharian actually is English, instead of merely being represented by English.  Unfortunately, I don't really know of any way to get around this problem.  Even Tolkien didn't have to describe his languages from an in-world perspective, as far as I know. 

Well, besides that, as far as I know, dialects and manner of speech tend not to be divided neatly along racial (or tribal, in this case) lines.  Instead, there will tend to be a continuum.  For example, lets say that there are two distinct dialects, A and B, spoken in two different cities.  The speech of the people living in the towns and villages between the two cities will most likely be something in between dialects A and B, and the nearer they are to one of the cities, the more their speech resembles the dialect of the language.  Also, social status would affect one's speech too, I think.  A noble's speech will hardly be like that of a commoner, in most cases. 

Perhaps these variations you've come up with could be the stereotypes, rather than being truly representative of how the people speak?  Also, it might be a good idea to come up with more variations, perhaps something like one for each major city, if it's not too much work. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Kyranians no longer exist.  The last of the Kyranians started the Helcrani tribe, I think. 

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2006, 21:28:56 »

Of course your comments are welcome, and of course these are 'stereotypes' running along a continuum.  You'll note that in the Avennorian entry I've tried to elaborate upon that aspect of languge.

However, dialects can and do run in 'lines', as has been demonstrated by various linguistic surveys done in both Britain (convenient for our purposes) and America - one can ''map' a country by whether a section uses a particular set/subset of words.  Something as simple as the difference between 'pop' and 'soda', or 'sofa' and 'couch',  can demarcate such lines.

This particular map, for example, uses pronunciation variations to mark off the States...

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atlas/NationalMap/NatMap1.html

while here we have a nice dialect map division of Britain...

http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/figures/dialectsUKtraditional.gif

I guess what that means for Santharia is that the tribal dialect differences I've described above should be seen as generalizations - stereotypes, if you wish - which spread out from a provincial 'centre' and diffuse and blend near the edges of regions.   And if there is a kingdom-wide system of education in place - not necessarily formal schools, but priest-run classes or something similar - that would certainly serve to promote a particular style of Tharian, rather like the English 'Standard Received Pronunciation' of BBC announcers!
« Last Edit: 05 September 2006, 21:38:51 by Bard Judith » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2006, 21:37:22 »

Oh, and I just found out the 'lines' are called 'isoglosses' - isn't that a great word?

And boundaries are conventionally drawn solid, although they do, as I said, diffuse and blend into each other.

Vid this quote from a U.S site:  "The Midlands begins on the Atlantic coast south of NYC and extends to the isogloss for The South in southern Delaware (see #1 above), but excludes Philadelphia and Pittsburg which, like NYC, have their own dialects.  The Midlands isoglosses on the north flow together with the Inland North and North Central until flowing into the isogloss for The West.

The Midlands is divided into two parts, northern and southern.  The northern Midlands dialect flows westward and is not really bounded by the isogloss of The West, but continues into the West and is almost indistinguishable from the West.  This accent is regarded as Standard English..."

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2006, 21:37:47 »

Well, yes, that's true.  That's why I said 'neatly'.  :P  

Also, I think it's worth noting that Santharia is quite a bit larger than both countries you mentioned (I think), and much less advanced technologically, both of which complicate things quite a bit.  

Eep, ninja'd! 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2006, 04:40:21 »

We can put the Erpheronian stuff in the main entry, though it gets a bit crowed already, the entry is already pretty huge. We could do it as we did it with the Colthing section. For now get the basic stuff into the main entry without elaborating that much and as soon as we have enough material to justify an own entry we make an extra entry, of which the section in the main entry is just a summary.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2008, 09:47:04 »

An interesting entry! While much of this I'm sure is already integrated, there's still a fair bit that belongs up on the site I'm sure, ecspecially in regards to the accents. A sure help in myth/Lore sections, or songs, mayhaps?
Anyways, I'm going to take a stab at Eyelian accent examples... as soon as I can figure it out! Anyways, thought other "tribe-scholars" would be interested in this bit, maybe figure out Orcen accents, Brownie, etc.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2008, 09:55:54 »

It's interesting to note that developers have already begun to fall into interesting patterns of their own when they speak 'Tharian'. 

Alysse, for example, reverses her phrase order in a very characteristic Northern Barbarian accent.   Judith has a classic Erpheriane styling, odd for someone from Manthria, but hey.... she's been around a bit.  I'm not sure what Tharoc speaks, but I suspect a drunk Stratanian sailor taught a poor innocent orc cub his version of Tharian somewhere along the line....

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 August 2008, 09:56:55 »

Haha.... biting, and true enough! Now, I just need to strt sounding out Eyellian, and I'll only speak in metaphors, and I'll stumble on every vowel! ;)

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 06 August 2008, 15:03:58 »

Hey, Nsiki - you might be still busy with other things at the moment, but here's just a reminder that not everything that was put together in this thready by Judy is on the site yet. The Eyelian tribal dialect is among them. Maybe that's something for you to look at, expand on and eventually finalize, so that we can get that part in as well ;) - Judy has surely prepared a good basis here already to build on!  cool

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]