Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Shadow Vial, artifact (unpaused)  (Read 2067 times)
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 12 October 2006, 05:10:27 »

Unpausing the work on this artifact:

OVERVIEW

“Vial of the Mist” or “The Shadow Vial” is a mysterious artifact lost in the destruction of Fá'áv'cál'âr. It was originaly made to bring peace between elves in the empire. It was sacred to the elves so it was heavely guarded and only the high ranking citizens could enter the guarding place which is unknown.

Description

It is made of fine crystal like glass with strange letters carved into it. In it you can see a bright grey smoke rising from shiny purple crystals. The top of the Vial is sealed with a cap made of Mithril and Ithildin. On the top of the cap you can find a mighty red gem surrounded with three pearls.

Usage

Although many rouges used it, “The Shadow Vial” is also known around mages and wizards who use it for ceremonial purposes. The records show that one of those wizards used it even to make a flying spell, but the spell itself wasn’t successful and he died testing it. The duration of the invisibility given by the Vial is short, sometimes even under ten seconds (if used by an inexperienced person). The higher your knowledge in magic the longer will the invisibility effect last. It is hard to master the power of the Vial as it exerts your spirit and mental power a lot. There were cases when a user of the Vial was dead after appearing from the invisibility status. If you break the Vial while you are invisible you will disappear forever from this world.

History

The place where this artefact was made is unknown but the person that made it is famous all around the Caelereth, Xarl Bluestride. “The Shadow Vile” isn’t so popular as the famous Orb of Xarl Bluestride but it does represent him as well. It is told that the Vial was used by Feyronn the Drewynn in the time when he murdered those five young women although it is not known how it passed into the hands of Frian, a pour peasant from Santharia, it is only known that Frian lost it somewhere in the Zeiphyrian forests.

Myth/Lore

Although it is probably not true, the people of Santharia talk about that the Vial was made long ago, even before Xarl, from the smoke of the golden red dragon that served Foiros.   
« Last Edit: 07 November 2006, 17:24:23 by Arceon » Logged

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2006, 06:38:42 »

Foiros didnt have golden red dragon servants. mainly because there are no golden red dragons, because we wouldn't be able to tell them apart from for instance, golden green, golden blue, or golden quilt dragons.... Also, Rogue is not spelled like r-o-u-g-e, 'cause that's make-up, and vial is not spelled v-i-l-e, 'cause that's 'evil'.

There is so much wrong with this entry i don't even know where to start.

yes, yes, i know, be nice to the newbies...

Arceon. For an idea what we want when designing an artifact, have a look at the "Midnight Blade" entry a bit below yours, by Kain Cristar.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2006, 08:20:19 »

And stay away from magic if you aren't familiar with it. 

Edit:
Hmm...I think that came out too harsh.  Anyway, what I meant to say wasn't too different.  Basically, if you want to do anything related to magic (and artifacts definitely count), make sure you are at least somewhat familiar with the magic system involved (which in this case would be Ximaxian, probably the most complex one we have).  Also, I think the artifact as you have it might be somewhat fantastic.  I can imagine something like this in a D&D-esque world, but Caelereth is rather more mundane and fantastic.  Your choice of words also make it sound...RPG-ish, as if it was meant for some sword and sorcery game like D&D.  Mira is quite right.  You'd probably need to make quite a lot of changes before it becomes okay. 
« Last Edit: 12 October 2006, 20:15:54 by Mina » Logged

Eatherion

Gained Aura: 0

The Sorcerer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2006, 10:48:32 »

Was feeling bored, so I thought I'd go through and try and fix your grammar/typos and spelling mistakes as best as I can :) Also, general comments if I think of any will be in there as well.

Overview

“Vial of the Mist” or “The Shadow Vial” is an artifact known mainly in rogue societies. Its magic is very strong so you have to be familiar with it before using it. The Vial is used to become invisible for a short duration of time. It often causes trouble for guards in large cities because they never know when a rogue will strike again.

Description

It is made of fine crystal-like glass with strange letters carved into it.(Strange letters? Perhaps, to give us a better visual perception of this artifact - describe what the letters are like? Do they appear elven? Dwarven? Orcish?) In it you can see a bright grey smoke rising from shiny purple crystals. The top of the Vial is sealed with a cap made of Mithril and Ithildin. On the top of the cap you can find a mighty red gem surrounded with three pearls.

Usage

Although many rogues used it, “The Shadow Vial” is also known around mages and wizards who use it for ceremonial purposes. The records show that one of those wizards used it even to make a flying spell, but the spell itself wasn’t successful and he died testing it. The duration of the invisibility given by the Vial is short, sometimes even under ten seconds (if used by an inexperienced person). The higher your knowledge in magic, the longer the invisibility effect will last. It is hard to master the power of the Vial as it exerts your spirit and mental power. There were cases when a user of the Vial was dead after re-appearing from the invisibility status. If you break the Vial while you are invisible you will disappear forever from this world.

History

The place where this artifact was made is unknown but the person that made it is famous all around the Caelereth, Xarl Bluestride. “The Shadow Vial” isn’t as popular as the famous Orb of Xarl Bluestride but it does represent him as well. It is told that the Vial was used by Feyronn the Drewynn in the time when he murdered those five young women although it is not known how it passed into the hands of Frian, a poor peasant from Santharia, it is only known that Frian lost it somewhere in the Zeiphyrian forests.

Myth/Lore

Although it is probably not true, the people of Santharia talk about that the Vial was made long ago, even before Xarl, from the smoke of the golden red dragon that served Foiros.   

Overall, it is an interesting idea, but for a magic artifact it seems to lack a bit in the area of why and how it works, not really justifying it in regards to the Ximaxian Magic System. (Of course, I'm not at all familiar with our magic system... yet) And I will have to agree with Mina when she says that it sounds very D&D-like.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 98
Online Ever: 337
(19 November 2019, 02:38:29)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 103
Total: 103

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)