Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Santharian timelife, the south, an idea to Brendulan  (Read 3300 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 23 November 2006, 19:49:36 »

Next post timelife with coloured passages concerning the south!

So far in history the Shendar never bothered much to which political realm the outside world counted them. They see Strata and Varcopas as kind of „their“ cites, for most of the population originally were people from the old Darian-Shendar tribe. They lived their own life in the desert, not bothering much about the outside world, despite their dependance from the trade with the cities of Varcopas and Strata. If needed, they could survive on their own, though without any comfort.
This attitude changed slowly after the fall from Bardavos. Bardavos was for the Shendar like an adopted child. In the very beginning Thaehelvil  had been  a formerly Shendar settlement till it became the refuge of many free thinkers and an artists city. With the time, more and more non-Shendar people migrated to this place, the Shendar nevertheless felt a special connection towards it. Bardavos was in their territory like a guest in their dome.

When it was destroyed (and the Shendar blamed not only the north, but partly Varcopas, though it was conquered back then) it was a shock for them they needed years to overcome. It was like if the sacred hospitality was severely injured. Though they helped actively to rebuild the town and were the driving force in doing so encouraging the citizens which where left and saving them from death through famine, a barb remained. They themselves had not been able to help them - they had not bothered to deal with political things outside their realm and only this way the royalists had had such an easy game.
The first wishes to have an own political territory were born, secret gatherings prepared a change of mind within the population, military forces were build up to defend the claim - once it was time to do it.

I‘m not sure, when we can say, that the Royalists dissolved - around 1504, when the third general takes the crown? Didn‘t have the time to think it through again.

Well, in this time an opposition against the Royalists , especially in the garb of the Avennorians forms in the south, north of the Sharadon.  There the population is mainly of Darian origin and as a charismatic young noble man (son of a dutch or similar) arises , the south claims independence of the north. Northernmost point is the castle of Griffin‘s marl.

Secret talks (*)with the Shendar lead to the first ideas of a province which will later be called Brendolan.

(*) Idealistic talks about the same heritage etc (Darian-Shendar) , Griffin‘s Marl as the seat of the Darian king etc..

I don‘t know yet, if we should take the Shen-Siuu into Brendolan or if I should create some shiasm between the three sub tribes, so that the Shen-Siuu will remain in Truban..
The map needs to adjusted slightly nevertheless, but I can‘t propose it now.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2006, 19:55:41 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2006, 19:50:21 »

AGE OF HAVOC (1440-1540)
orange color=south

A series of tyrannic kings reigns over Santharia for an unspecified period of time (no less than 50 years). Perhaps they are usurpers of the throne that rose as stewards and set aside the legitimate dynasty. The old dynasty (Santhros line) hides in order to avoid execution, Vontron Forest. The elves protect them remembering the ancient friendship, maybe even the League helps this line.

A series of revolts break out all these years. The Erpheronians belonging to the old kingdom represent the backbone of the royal regiment, since they are militaristic and autocratic. Sanguia, Manthria and Xaramon support the tyrants as well since they are the center of the Empire and are greatly favoured.

1438 - Fleets amasses Yanthrian Gulf and the Gulf of Maraya
The Stratanians fear an attack looming and prepare countermeasures, sending out an assassin (Templars of the Black Pearl?).
1438 - Freetown of Varcopas becomes part of Stratania

1440 - Assassination of the Tyrant organized by the Stratanians

1441 - Son of Tyrant lashes back
Then hell brokes loose. The Centoraurians revolt and Vardynn is turned into a battlefield, since the Erpheronians are fanatic royalists (cause the Tyrant is an Erpheronian). Nermaran is annexed. Cruelties take place in Enthronia to ensure that the Caltherians remain loyal to the central authority. Ximax declared is neutrality in the progressing conflict. Stratania are invaded by the royalists - they take Varcopas and Strata.

1442-1445 - Wars in the South
Varcopas sieged (longer siege, but eventually they get in, underwater barriers are breached after a major storm), Strata (1443) conquered (naval attack from the east).

Santhros' heirs are welcomed in Milkengrad, the town hides these people.

Helcrani with the help of the elves of the Vontron (?) conquer territory until the Dorashi River.

1443 Helcrani takes Caelum, Naios revolts when seeing the Helcrani approach and becomes an allied city-state of the Centoraurians.

1444 Caltharia revolts successfully but is defeated eventually again and the area is reoccupied.

1445 Varcopas conquered

1445 King fears the free thinkers of Bardavos and wants to state an example, marshes in coming from Varcopas and destroys most of the city.

1451 Voldar is besieged and taken relatively easily by the Helcrani due to treachery, taken by surprise.
In Santhala the defeated general holds council with the king, after an argument he slays the tyrant king. He flees up North, leaving the south in turmoil, gathers further support and freesm Voldar eventually in the next year (1452).

Another general takes over the southern kingdom (at the age of 40).

1453 Helcrani send liberating force (small fleet) to Varcopas. With the help of the Varcopasians and the waterguide trick they manage to regain the harbour. They come to assist marking the reconciliation for the Stratanian invasion some 2000 years before.

1454 Thalambath liberates Strata.
At this point the political borders exist for the province what later would become the Santharian province of Truban.

1455 The General Tyrant (southern guy) grants the Truban area their independence, but demands an annual tribute from the Truban area.

1455 Contact of the East-Rimmerings Ringers (former Sophronia) with Milkengard, asking for support.

1456 The Centoraurians are offered peace by the tyrant to keep the territories that once belonged to Centorauria if they pay an annual tribute. The Centoraurians deny since they want to keep the occupied territories and ensure a free East-Rimmerings Ring (former Sophronia), because there are several cities, who want to break free. They send troups to east Sanguia to support the revolution from Caelum/Naios along the Argor and Hog, along Xythrian Ridge. Before they reach Hog they receive message that Milkengrad is being attacked.

1457 In late spring the Erpheronians and the Royalist invade the Efirhal (making an alliance) and lay siege to Milkengrad. However, after 53 days of siege they are cut off and encircled as reinforcements arrive from the south from Hog and the Erpheronian alliance is eventually defeated in the battle of Milkengrad.

Merit goes to Stratanian sailors who supplied the besieged city through the sea.
A peace treaty with the royalists is signed. Centorauria keeps the Kyranian territories and East Rimmerins Ring gains independence. The war agains Erpheronia continues.

At this time an heir of the Santhros line is brought to Ximax for protection.

1460 North (Nermeranian Erpheronians) and South Vardynn (Helcrani) sign a peace treaty.

(click on map to enlarge)

Map of the Peace Treaty of 1460

1466 Eastern Rimmerins Ring is annexed by the royalists

1466-1477 Relative stability

1476 Grothunc's father is born in Ximax.

1477 War between the Royalists and Helcrah over the independence of Ximax. North Vardynn (Nermeran) interfers and the Royalist prevail.

1480 Peace treaty between Helcrah & the Royalists.
Helcrah (South Vardynn) loses Naios and Caelum after losing the battles. Ximax is annexed by the Royalists. Grothunc's grandfather, loses his Ximaxian wife, and his eldest son and flees to Varcopas and hides in the desert.

1482 Southern General dies (old age), another powerful commander gets the reign.
1482 Northern General gives power as well to new leader.

1491 The area east of the Ancythrian Sea and the Heath of Jernais area is annexed by Nermeran, first major achievement after the new general took over. The Ancyros region is pretty much destroyed.

1493 Flea War
War against Strata that ends several months later. It was called the Flea War, because it started because of a Stratanian and a Shan'Thai children argued over a "flea" insult in Shan'Thai. When adults interferred a minor incident occured. Minor street fights took place. Each kingdom considered it a grave insult and soon the war escalated. Shan'Thai ships destroy house of Strata merchant, they defend themselves etc.

Once its over the trade connections take a while to get back to full swing.

1499 Grothunc is born at the Ráhaz'Dáth.

1499 The area east of the Ancythrian sea revolts including the Ancyros area (already part of Nermeran), but without success. The Ancyros area still suffers from the major demolition caused during the 1491 battles.

1501-1502 Civil war in the main kindgom (Santharia), due to the fact that no military successes could be achieved. Also the general was not very much liked, he had various escapades (or was even said to have raped a Seyellan priestess after trying to get his future told, but didn't get the answers he wanted, so he demolished the temple etc.) All the clerics and many of the populace turn against him.

He is attacked from a general coming from the southeast. While these two are battling for the power a third general in the North is securing the kingdom by tricking the Nermerans and the Helcrani into a war against each other:

Transport of dwarves around the Fores towards Nyermersys. General raids the transport, kills the dwarves, steals the gold, with indicators that the Helcrani did it. The dwarves and Nermeran think that the Helcrani did it, and everyone turns against the Helcrani. Battle everywhere! Mean general even tries to support both parties etc.

The raids of the Goblins intensify at the whole northern borders of Nermeran, during the conflict between Helcrah and Nermeran first major incursion take place of the Goblins. Nermeran has not enough forces to defend the northern border line properly. Astran is taken first.

1503 Famine in central Santharia.

1503 The Eastern Rimmerins guys (Sophronians) revolt again as they see battle raging in the south, but the Northern General manages to suppress the rebellion. He waits for the outcome of the Battle at Onved where the other generals fight for the throne.

1503 Goblins spread further south, the main forces move towards Weyring, Nyermersys is able to stop any further invasions in this area, also the Goblins are repelled at Acht and Holm.

After reaching Weyring the press on further southwest, splitting at the axis of the Thaelon, one force trying to reach Jernais by crossing the Thaelon, another force moves towards Voldar.

In the Thaelon a good deal of goblins is lost (elven attackers? or light elves? who knows). Some get through and start causing mayhem in the Heath of Jernais. Looting, pillaging and burning takes place. Before the Goblins forces can reach Voldar the Nermeran King sees no other way out than to have an agreement with the Helcrani, giving away Cemphiria an the Heath of Jernais region. A temporary ceasefire is agreed on, giving the Nermerans time to take care of the orcish attacks.

1504 During the battles in Santharian south near Onved both generals die on the battlefield. General 3 sees the opportunity and moves south, taking the throne with ease, cheered by the other armies, because he's obviously securing the northern border, managed to crush the rebellion.

1504-1507 Fights of the Nermerans against the invaders, some successes here and there, but more Goblins keep coming. In the last year also Losh-Ocs join the campaign.

1507 Grothunc's father returns to Ximax with his family

1508 Major battle at Weyring between the invaders and the Nermerans. King is surrounded by the orcish forces, commits suicide, seeing no way out anymore. King kills himself with his sword. The populace has to ask help fom the Helcrani, maybe already noblemen ask the Helcrani for immediate help before the death of the King.

1509-1514 Helcrani come to answer the real threat, the orcs from the north. Most of northern Nermeran is covered with orcs. Nyermersys and Ishmarin are holding out, but are seperated. In the whole region fighting takes place, where the Helcrani try to reconquer Nermeran lands bit by bit.

1509 Grothunc starts magic studies in Ximax.

1514 The pressure gets too big for Holm and Acht, who don't get any further reinforcements, the cities eventually fall. They try to get help from the south, but it arrives to late. The orcs threaten to move further southeast, getting more and more reinforcements.

1515 The Santharian Kingdom is sees the necessity to act and takes the region east of the Ancythrian Sea, being welcomed actually by the people there, who are happy to see their saviour arrive.

1515-1523 The Santharian forces and the Nermeran ones push the orcs back together.

1522-1527 Grothunc becomes 4th level mage and starts travelling around in Santharia. During his travels a good nobleman recognizes the birthmark. Sees it as sign of the Gods.

1523 Retaking of Astran through the combined Santharian and Helcranian troops, the alliance.

1524 Treaty of Astran
Betweeen the Santharian king and the Helcrani king, defining territory divisions: Santharia keeps the territories east of the Ancythrian Sea, including the region of Ancyros. The Helcrani have to acknowledge the kingdom pof North-Vard˘nn (see current provinces border). The Helcrani also get the regions around Voldar and the Heath of Jernais.

1525 Santharian king returns and rebuilds his kingdom.

1527 King dies, murdered by the hands of his own mad son. Nobles just keep their mouth shut, as they are allowed to get more money, the populace is taxed more.

1529 Honest nobleman approaches Grunthoc, suggesting to help him overthrow. Corny story... Revolution supported by the nobleman against Grunthoc. [Still in discussion.]

TIME OF REUNION (1540-today)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2006, 01:57:38 »

"Transport of dwarves around the Fores towards Nyermersys. General raids the transport, kills the dwarves, steals the gold, with indicators that the Helcrani did it. The dwarves and Nermeran think that the Helcrani did it, and everyone turns against the Helcrani. Battle everywhere!"

Which dwarven clan had you in mind, Talia?  I'll have to edit the history section appropriately (because whether or not it was a significant clash in dwarven minds, necessitating its addition to their own recorded history, it was obviously significant for the humans and thus our Compendium writers would certainly include it in making up an entry about that clan...)  Let me know - or I can see which clans might have been involved in a trade exchange.  It might even have been a 'young bachelor/bachelorette' caravan (the ritual exchange of young dwarves between friendly caverns in order to mix bloodlines and firm up clan bonds), accompanied by gifts and trade goods, which would make it just that more emotional and effective.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2006, 03:49:13 »

Judy, this post was just meant to propose how Brendulan came into existence. The main thread  about the timeline is here: http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php?topic=10783.0

But to answer your question - we just thought that some dwarfs would now come in handy and pointed to the high/lower fores or in this direction, if I remember right. We didn't go so far to think about which clan it might be who lives there or any more detailed  aspects.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2006, 11:22:28 »

Ok, so I could write a paragraph and fill those details in for you... sounds good!  Actually I like that you've done that, because without involving dwarves in the above-ground conflicts of those 'shallow humans' :) we'd never get any interesting wars  - and so much for all those great dwarven fighters AND their pictures!   Those aren't tree-chopping axes the Northern Thergerim are wielding, after all....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2006, 17:44:00 »

Hey, you did write "dwarves!" This spellchecker! I was heavily irritated, but didn't have the time to investigate the subject closer.

Art will be pleased if you do some history stuff. Before you actually start (I hope not too soon), tell me, then I go through the notes again and try to remember the things which are not written down or to explain what is there and what we wanted to have.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]