Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Sunth  (Read 14066 times)
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 31 July 2007, 21:29:21 »

Back on track then.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 August 2007, 21:20:28 »

All references to town have been removed with extreme predjudice and replaced with village.  grin

-Salvor Hardin
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 01 August 2007, 22:40:26 »

Hi Niccoli! :)

"Sunth is one of the great cesspools of the continent."

I doubt that a village of 600 souls can be  "one of the great cesspool of the continent" , one of many, but not "great" in rference to the Sarvonian continent.

A pity you didn't colour any of your changes (apart from replacing town with village). Please don't forget it when you get your next (last?) proofread.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 August 2007, 23:28:57 »

It's really not a habit of mine. I could try, but I'd get lost halfway along the road and forget.

-Salvor Hardin
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #49 on: 07 August 2007, 04:49:00 »

Sorry that it too me a while to get back to you, Niccoli, but last week I was pretty busy. Anyway, let's see what we've got here. Some comments:

- Talia is right with her comments, so better reword a bit what she mentions:

I doubt that a village of 600 souls can be  "one of the great cesspool of the continent" , one of many, but not "great" in rference to the Sarvonian continent.

- The term "pirates village" perhaps is a bit extreme. You know, Santharia is a nice kingdom, and you wouldn't just say - at least not officially - that it's the home of "pirates". So you might just twist that a bit and say that people refer to it as a "pirates village".

- "eastern shores of Manthrian province" - maybe give a tiny little bit of reference, like "North of XYZ", "West of XYZ". So that the read gets an idea where it is without having to look for it on a map in detail.

- Side note: I will try to get soon to something that will be called "Manthrian Locations Overview" or something similar. In it I will list the name of the location, the amount of inhabitants and the ethnicity in the first line, then the Overview part will be put below (closed on startup via script). That way you can look a the towns, villages etc. and whatever interests you, you can examine in more detail.

To make it short: In the future it is recommendable to mention races living in that location (humans here), and the predominating tribes (Avennorians, Sophronians here most likely) should be mentioned as well.

- Description.  Here, when you write: "most of which are filled with drunken sailors, sly con men, or some manner of drunken or hungover rabble" - this is all written a tiny little wee bit too factual, you know. It's as if it is perfectly normal for a Compendium writer and official representative of the kingdom that con men walk around there. Just hide that a bit and say that you "might stumble upon con men", write it a bit indirectly - that makes it more realistic, as a Compendiumist is supposed to be as objective as possible.

- Temples: Well, temples are usually a bit larger structures, so maybe make that a chapel, or just a small shrine somewhere? Would fit the environment better, don't you think? Maybe these shrine and/or chapel aren't tended that well neither, could be mentioned as well.

- Location. Now that's how it should be! :)

- People. Here as well, a bit more objectivism is recommended. Like "You won't hear it from the 'village officials' directly (it won't be that easy to find those anyway), but it doesn't take much to discover that the place represents a good soil for any kind of underground blokes". Something like that. Ideas are fine, just a bit polishing in this direction should be done.

- The origin of Sunth's people from miners of Deepgorge could be mentioned here a bit to explain why such scum ended up here - and it only got worse!

- You mention "trade" in the Climate section. Well, you might expand that to the criminal variety of "trade here in the people section, and suggest that there were cases of smuggling there that couldn't be entirely eliminated by raids of the Santhrans troops. Or that you might find a good fence (someone who helps you to sell stolen goods).

- Coat of Arms. Well, this one's peculiar, isn't it? You could mention that this really represents the people you will find here, and was perhaps done with some sort of irony - to seperate the village from others. To tell people where they really are. Also to keep the king's men away, to show them that there's nothing noble here, that own laws apply here.

- You mention sometimes "town", while we're dealing here with a "village" of about 600 souls.

The rest looks quite fine to me, Niccoli! Just one more revision I'd say and this one will be a great addition to our eastern Manthrian coast! We definitely lacked such a place, and now we've got it! :D  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 07 August 2007, 05:19:27 »

Well I've been doing som reasearch on pirates and the like. WE DON'T HAVE ANY entries on ships, at all. In the compendium. I'd like to do a Triton (avennorian ship, it's mentioned in one of the "old game" (non rpg, somewhere on the site.) reports with a transcript of the game. 
Like all tritons the toy also has three masts with main sails and smaller sails on top. While the toy ship has a length of only approximately half a ped, the original triton is 100 peds in length and has 20 peds width and harbours up to 300 men. You can also see little metallic spears on the toy ship, representing harpoons used for whaling. Even small pieces of rope were glued on top of the ship, and a likewise firmly attached captain carved from wood looks into the distance.
There's also a picture of a Barek. I just think it manthria (being costal) to get some ships together to actually get trading going (otherwise we'd all have to slog overland to get things anywhere.).

-Salvor Hardin
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #51 on: 07 August 2007, 05:25:38 »

Well, there is at least a basic ship entry on Avennorian Ships. And an entry on the Ducraer boat.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 07 August 2007, 06:32:29 »

right, so I've gotten all the village entires removed. Kneef I think is a hamlet, (one building) so i've named it as such.

-Salvor Hardin
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #53 on: 09 August 2007, 05:15:56 »

If you're done completely with the changes, Niccoli, let me know!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #54 on: 11 August 2007, 15:25:57 »

Erm... I've received your message, but: Do you want to say that despite my comments there is nothing to change except the word "town" to "village"? The adjustments I requested are pretty minor, yet they were made to help you finalize the entry. As I see no efforts made towards that, how could I put it up, Niccoli?

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 12 August 2007, 01:41:41 »

I can't figure out what else is missing.

-Salvor Hardin
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #56 on: 12 August 2007, 02:57:39 »

Have you read my comments?

First three words: "A pirate’s village" and already ignored.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)