Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: West Nybelmar Realms: The Plains of Kaerath  (Read 19800 times)
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 18 December 2007, 01:20:04 »

I'm glad you like these ideas Coren, and i hope you'll be able to help sort out the caste system. It's verry roughly scetched now, so we'll need to work on it a lot to fill in the details..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 December 2007, 05:38:09 »

For the Germeon Mountains: Nybelmar trolls and the peaceful guardians of the mountains (rock men) as the "attractions"? Or have we discarded these?

Also shall the ants remain pure ants or a combination of two/more animals/creatures? I am fine with either. I can already envisage these mushroom towers with their globular central nests under the roots...

(PS: I am too tired to respond to the other thread tonight, where I had most of my objections.)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 18 December 2007, 05:40:52 »

Who knows coren, who knows. And personally i'd be satisfied with just the trolls..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18 December 2007, 06:02:27 »

I quite like Deci's rock guardians but I do understand your concerns of their being too similar to the Vikh in some respects. What if we scrap the song-spells and send them off to a different part of the continent? Maybe the lower (southern) half of the Germon Dolith mountain range? Or perhaps those mountains separating the Inami from Therrein Nermarein?

Question: What about their settlements and production? Do they trade - and with whom?

PS: Have any of you played the game I keep referring to?

Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 December 2007, 06:16:56 »

I really like those rock men too (though we need to be careful with the extent to which they can manipulate the mountain, I found that fascinating anyway :) )

The Nermarein Mountains sound like a good location for them indeed, and I don't think they would be excluded by the presence of Morcaanan's singing dragons. They will have to live together though...

Coren: Maybe the Nermarein Mountains could be known as the "Shifting Mountains" for that reason? These "clerics of the mountains" keep remoulding them?
« Last Edit: 18 December 2007, 06:21:56 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #50 on: 18 December 2007, 06:23:30 »

I was more concerned with the fact we'd be creating a realy, realy exclusive new race.. unless we write more versions of them later. (Deserts!)

I think it would indeed be wise to move them away from the Vikh just a bit, to prevent repetiveness,  the mountians west of the Far-Eastern nation would be suitable.

*added after reading Smith.->Well, now we already have two tribes of Rock Men. And i'd realy like to look for a desert where we can put one as well..

Coren: Two tribes? One is in Nermarrein - where is the other?

Mira: The other one would be in the southern Germon Dolith

and if you're referring to Morrowind; yes i have

Coren: Nope. It's Lords of Magic Special Edition (LOMSE), a VERY old game - I think it dates back to 1998
« Last Edit: 18 December 2007, 06:37:20 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18 December 2007, 08:37:59 »

Wait...I thought we decided against the rock-troll lords Mira for multiple reasons.  First and foremost was the fact that we want to steer as far away from the new Races ban as possible.  Making these rock-people will only further complicate the process and, IMHO, it is not needed at all.  Secondly, it was agreed that we do not want to establish a new kingdom in the mountains, thus, instead of having a group of unified whatevers, we decided to go with a grouping of loose bands that would be formidible enought to cause trouble within the kingdom, but not a large enough to threaten the sovereignty of the Morchini.

From a cultural aspect, the Morchini, especially the MPs, IMHO would be more inclined to work with a species of rock/mountain people than fight against them.  Remember that their power derives from an earth-based form of magic(which provides fertility to their secale[will describe this in a bit when answering one of Coren's questions] and the ant-species[which we should name soon]) and would thus, IMHO, come to either work with or revere a race such as the rock-things that were a living incarnation of their magic.

Coren's Ant Question:  The physical description of the ant's isn't really fleshed out, but I think its safe to assume that they are just going to be large ants(not giant) focused around the hive-mind of the queen who lives in the Morchini MP mushrooms.  Something that I believe Mira forgot to mention is that the ants have created an elaborate system of tunnels through the Morchini territory(hence the numerous caves and such) and thus the majority of them are going to abroad roaming through the tunnels, gathering food, or spying instead of being close to the queen.  With this in mind, some sort of center nest underneath the Mushroom is probably the best option.

Coren's Trading Question:  Yes, they are going to be a trading people.  So far, we have them established as having a commerical economy based on agrarian exports.  The majority of the population tends to the secale(a highly nutritious grain whose growth is only possible with the assistance of MP magic).  This harvest is then substantially taxed by the military govenors(the dwarf-like Morchini) who in turn are taxed substantially by the MPs.  The MPs, thus are the ones controlling the majority of the country's commerce.  As for whom they trade with, I don't know enough about Nybelmar history to decide, but I believe that most of their trade would not take place with their neighbors due to hostilities.  While a bit might be exported to the Vihk and other neighboring tribes, IMHO, it would make most sense if they traded primarily with nations not in their proximity via sea trade or with the Sarvonian or Aeruillin continent.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2008, 18:22:12 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #52 on: 18 December 2007, 10:18:58 »

FAEN MERCHANTS!

And yes, i've opposed the creation of a new race when it was mentioned.. but with both Coren, Decipher, and Smith in favor, i used the infallible tactic of "If you can't beat them, join them.". It's still not the best solution in my opinion, as there are many varieties that do not require a new race, but if the mayority wants to have sentient golems, so be it.

Avrah Kehabhra

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 18 December 2007, 13:37:53 »

It doesn't have to be a new "race." Nor a new "nation." I mean, what? Can't we have some (sentient) rock beings shape-shifting a mountain somewhere in far west Nybelmar?

The "Shifting Mountains" sounds nice, I like that.

Coren: So more along the lines of a bestiary entry rather than a race? That would be better I think. And we don't even need to "declare" them to be sentient.

Mira: *agrees*
« Last Edit: 19 December 2007, 00:58:07 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 December 2007, 02:02:55 »

Yay for Decipher's idea!

I would write a Bestiary entry for these creatures....but would hint at possiblities of sentinent nature....Sound okay?

Btw....Which mountains are we specifing them to....

Coren: If I understood Mira & Smith correctly: (1) southern part of Germon Dolith and (2)Therrein Nermarein ("Shifting Mountains", see above). Is everyone ok with the suggestion though? Drasil?
« Last Edit: 19 December 2007, 02:33:28 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 December 2007, 09:26:47 »

Personally, I'm against it, but my voice has little weight in this gathering so whatever you decide I'll go along with.
Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 19 December 2007, 10:34:26 »

Yep, agreed. Bestiary entry with hints at sentience works perfect. After all, it's the same thing with dragons, isn't it?
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11 February 2008, 04:26:41 »

Mira/Drasil: Could you summarize the discussion above and integrate the conclusions into the original post above? Thanks

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 09 July 2008, 18:23:31 »

::coughs::

Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 09 July 2008, 19:54:14 »

You should go get that cough checked out Coren- seems chronic......

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]