Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The Town of Mylthis - Masterwork  (Read 15031 times)
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2006, 23:24:11 »

Thank you for your comments Arceon, but I disagree with a few things that you have said:

1. Aesthitic- I don't think it is too modern, and the replacement word perfect is a poor choice as they have completely different meanings.

2. 'Known' not 'Thought'- Thought indicates that it people believe it may happen/may of hapenned, known means that proof exists to prove the point...To completely different things

3. 'strict plans- You say that the plans weren't so strict if divergences were allowed..well the original plans were strict by the lillivereans (who supervise woodcutting operations), but the divergances occured when the town expanded

These are but a few of the problems I encountered and by the way..the use of () is a very important part of my writing style...I've used some above...and I would especially not want my entry to become long winded (which in comparison to some really long ones it is not...but in comparison to all of my previous entries it is).

Thank you for taking your time to comment though,

Decipher Ziron

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 December 2006, 04:26:27 »

You have three points there. And sorry for interupting in your style.
Well I did my best. Hope that I will improve next time.

B.T.W.
Did you accept some of my comments?

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2006, 04:29:36 »

I will, after Coren has revealed the conceptual problems he has with it...

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 December 2006, 02:55:22 »

@Coren: That was code for 'Tell what your conceptual issues are'

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2007, 23:09:31 »

Does anybody else have any problems...since Coren doesn't seem to be here at the moment

*shakes fist at his un-offical mentor for neglecting his Masterwork*

Does he not want to be rid of me (though I doubt that will ever happen)?

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2007, 05:00:21 »

Hi Decipher,

I noticed your 'cry for help' a few days ago in the Shoutbox. I'll try and put some 'creative commentary' in here, to give you things to think about. I can't give you comments on Nybelmarian issues, as I have no clue whatsoever on its history/geography/politics etc . If I ask questions or make remarks on Nybelmarian issues, they'll be common sense based. I'm not going to cover spelling issues yet, but there are some in there. [edit]My commentary has turned out to be quite long. I hope you find it worthwhile!

fuel of Sihitara I have the same issue as Arceon here: I want to know more about this, especially since it's the first thing you say about the town in the overview. A brisk two hours walk to Sihitara you say? How do I combine this with the location item, stating that after a couple hours wading through the thick plant life it is very easy to find? If they go there regularly there will be at least a trail, more logically a road, making it easier. You also say something about people leaving Sihitara must encounter the Great Market in the South East. I have trouble picturing this as well, combined with the apparently surrounding jungle. But it may be my lacking geographical knowledge.
You can perhaps combine this by referring to the river you mention somewhere (Rhsall in White Mist description): it would be a good and logical location to travel from Mythlis to Sihitara. Perhaps they even go by boat every day, evading the tricky jungle path? You could design an intricate system with ropes propelling the labourers forward? There goes my imagination :) But you have so much stuff already in there, you could easily make it more clearer by combining the details you have, interrelating the now spread bits of information. Mind you, much stuff in there means it's very good already, you can only make it 'more perfect' ;) But I'm digressing...

Your housing section, to my humble opinion, has a conceptual problem. I like the income idea you put forward, as the town's perfect circle design is damaged, but they could this only if the people going to live there had money. You describe the working population of Mylthis as labourers and tradesman, and I think especially the labourers live in the west, closest to Sihitara. Do they earn so much by working in the major town that they can pay this ridiculous prices you speak of? There'd be a few solutions, perhaps one of the most interesting ones is having Sihitara pay for their labour force, by providing the housing in Mylthis!

Though I can imagine the splendour of perfect cubic housings, your description for now doesn't justify the way you announce them in the paragraph before it. I like the 'motto' that is cut in every home, I also like the familiar idea, especially in combination with the religious ideas you bring forward in response to Judy's post. Still, where's the splendour of white cubics? Is the exterior perfectly polished? But the Governor's house has this feature as a special one!

I'd also work out the interior more. So we have decoration? It is painted or do they cut it from the walls, maybe both? With what kind of material? Are all the rooms equally decorated? Perhaps you can lend some inspiration by reading Talia's work on the Shendar domes, where she describes the various ways of decorating the interior of these structures.

Plumbing system sounds great! Perhaps they sometimes even work like a prism? I'm not into optical science much, but perhaps the different connections made, resulting in all kinds of angles of glass, can result in spectacular light shows? a very rare sight in the housing sector. Yup, I can imagine... but why? Do they have such a great police force, are the people really so content that they don't steal? What about the foreigners coming for the Great Market, aren't their criminals from there?

Speaking of the Great Market: a great idea, can't remember we have one, though every content should have one :) I can quite imagine the chaos that you enter as a foreigner. A few things you could make even more clearer I think: the Market is dominated by foreign traders. How do they get here? I've read nothing about major routes of transportation, unless you mean wading through plants for a few hours (see comments above). That won't go together. Are all these foreigners also the factor that causes such chaos, as they all just come in the morning and just set up their stalls randomly? Why won't they continue to Sihitara? It sounds like a larger town? Do people from Sihitara come especially to here because of the Market? You'll have to make it more special and more likely that this feature is actually here in Mylthis and not somewhere else.

There is one notable workshop however owned by Huricad Aursnare, which is one of the only places where Aesteran curved daggers are still produced. Nice touch! However, this information is outdated by the time it reaches New-Santhala from Nybelmar. Perhaps there's a family secret involved, making the Aursnare's the perfect dagger smiths for centuries, master Huricad being the current smith? The same goes for the Governor: you specify is abominable own art work: cool! But then I want a name and perhaps even more details, so these in time could become a person's entry and be more specific: the next governor (perhaps this one will be murdered 1669 a.S.) will then surely remove the artwork, which would make the information in the entry useless. When you pinpoint it to a specific person, this argument won't do anymore.

Being a musician I like the Theatre very muchly ;)! I ask the same things as I did when talking about the market: why here? Who goes there and not to some of the bars which the town will surely there. Are the Krean labourers and traders art/culture lovers? Do the nobility from Sihitara visit? Etc. A practical thing: if you have a glass ceiling and a climate where it will rain regularly, your beautiful acoustics will be ruined by a thundering clamour of rain ticking on the glass. But I'm sure you can think of a very practical and elegant solution? Perhaps two layers of glass, the upper one barely connected to the building making the ticking less audible? Something a little more magical? I like the idea of a starry night and theatre, so I hope you can think of something!

Combination of CoA with 'fuel of Sihitara' is very well approved! I still hope you can work this out practically in what this means for the labourforce and its transportation, money spending etc.

Your ideas of the Flora in the city sound wellthought and logical to me, but I can't imagine it because the structure of the paragraph is a little vague. Are the public gardens these patches of jungle tamed inside the city? I would feature the public gardens in your description of the town as well. I imagine they were part of the grand and perfect design of the L-tribe. Do they seperate the different city parts? Are they symmetrically divided over the perfect circle? etc.

I hope this (a tat longwinded, I hope you'll pardon me) commentary will help you on your way!!

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2007, 01:47:09 »

Hmm have you integrated Gean's comments yet?

I'll start posting what I have now. And then I'll go over Gean's as well. Then I need to go over your entry one more time (3rd) for general remarks- plus I have a few fun ideas but I want to read the entry again to see how/whether they could be realized.

What follows now is a lot of nitpicking. Comments/praise and 'broad brush' additions will come later.

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2007, 02:39:14 »

The Town of Mylthis

Mylthis, commonly referred to as the fuel - is this too modern sounding I wonder? Would Santharian compediumists use this metaphor? I don't know, what do you guys think? of Sihitara, is a moderately large town found a brisk two hour walk east of Sihitara, deep in the exotic jungles of Shar. Though known predominately for providing the bulk of Sihitara’s labouring force (around four fifths - that is a HUGE number. I haven't worked out the actual population of Sihitara (note the spelling) but my gut feeling says 2-3/5ths is about right given that this is a moderate sized town) of Sihitaran construction workers can be traced to Mylthis) the town has many delights within itself, such as its great market located in the northeast and the great monument to the Greater Malise Bird, the town’s patron animal.

DESCRIPTION

The town of Mylthis fills an area of roughly circular deforested rainforest land, but from above it appears as a blot of splashed white ink over the endless expanse of dense, green foliage. It is thought that the town has intended to be perfectly circular by the Lillivear (Lillivearans is like saying Frenchians. For the Aestera I either use 'the Aestera' or Aesterans) who supervised the felling of the trees, but as more people came to Mylthis the housing districts had to be expanded to accommodate for them which (although going against the strict plans that the Lilliverans had set out) generated a lot of income for the town (as they charged ridiculous fees for upsetting their perfect shape).

The Housing (is there a reason we have Housing with a capital H?) districts located to the western half of Mylthis are the main divergence in the flawless envisaged contour, the added houses creating a large bulge pointing west. The Housing districts were what Mylthis was originally designed for, mass accommodation. Mylthis’ housing district is shaped like an oval (it was initially part of the circle but the building of many more structures lead to a transformation in its shape) and, like all of Mylthis, heavily utilise white stone in its building. The homes of Mylthis could be described simply as three floored cuboids, many with balconies and a window on every side facing the open air, which technically they are, but these words do not truly articulate their aesthetic beauty - I am having difficulty visualizing this comment. If they are basic cubes, how can the buildings exude great aesthetic innovation?. The accommodation blocks of Mylthis were designed by some of the most proficient Aesteran architects - how can this be? This is a point I will reiterate throughout this commentary: You just mentioned this to be a workers' town (I guess you mean all sorts of labour (housework, shops, basically anyone who is not the 'owner') in Sihitara, right? Not just the construction blokes? Then a very middle-class settlement? They can't afford hiring the most reknown Aesteran architects to design their city! I've got a few ideas/solutions though:

- Maybe the Architectural Coven treats Mylthis as a 'test-ground' for their major commissions - so there is a building project lined up for Sihitara, they try it out (smaller scale / less ornamentation etc) in Mylthis first? That way the town could end up with a lot of beautiful monuments they couldn't otherwise afford. And the architects get to test their ideas first to avoid major complications later on

- Also: If we put the premiere university/school of architecture of the Krean kingdom in Sihitara: Maybe Mylthis could again serve as 'lab-ground' or 'internship' for student architects? Perhaps they have to design and execute a project as their graduation test or something. The same reasoning could apply to all the other Sihitaran art industries (sculptures, glass, ornamentation, woodworkers etc) - good enough to pass the exacting standards of the kingdom's top schools but not professional enough to be displayed in Sihitara. That way all these pupils who later become famous in their fields would have forged a special bond with Mylthis during their apprenticeship / studen years. So from time to time they do 'pro bono' /charity contributions? Or even mini 'pupilages' for some of brighter students?

- Can you come up with any other ideas?

You always need to check small things like this to make sure they add up to a coherent design.

and some of the finest artisans undertook the responsibility for the perfect execution of their plans.

Each and every block has the phrase ‘It is the pillar that holds the pedestal that is the most important’ chiselled in marble above the entrance, as well as a marble sculpture of one of the surrounding forest creatures as a ‘familiar’, which the residents believe will protect those living in the house and encourage good fortune. Common belief states that if the familiar ever comes to any harm that is not deliberately caused by any sentient being (which does not exclude animals which normally mistake the familiar as a marble brother) the residents shall be cursed.  It also seems to be the case that you can identify the worth of a house by which creature is fixed it, the least desirable having the annoying (and occasional lethal) Needle Fly placed above and the most bearing the gracious Greater Hummer.

When will you address Judith's comments? I remember reading about (back in December) her asking how these familiars were chosen. She has a point there: who would want a Needle Fly when they could easily 'pay' for a Hummer? (especially if having a needle fly reduces the value of their property!)

An average block consisting of three floors houses three families (very few Mylthisians live alone, and at the least live with a partner). Each floor functions as a bungalow, with a kitchen, two large bedrooms, a washroom and all of the other necessary Krean quarters. The interior of Mylthisian homes are normally just as beautiful as the exteriors, as they are known to spend quite a lot on decoration, normally rare flowers or small trees from the Jungle.

A unique sight on the streets of Mylthis is their Aesteran plumbing system. The system consists of leagues of glass piping that has blue sheen to it in the sunlight. Using the correct balance of magic and science, the creators of the system were able to command the water to flow at incredible speed overhead. Additional pipes are introduced which lead to a storage tank on the top floor of the block (meaning once it is full no water is spilt as it simply displaced back up the tube). This storage tank is connected to a series of pipes which can be opened from various levels in the building, allowing the water to flow down. There was in fact once a thief (a very rare sight in the housing sector - Why?) that entered and escaped from homes by running on top of the pipes back to his home, though he was caught when he slipped, cracked a pipe (and a few of his bones) and was forced to pay for the damages before being taken to Sihitara for his trial. Very Krean, well spotted.

The rest of Mylthis is separated into two other areas, the commercial sector and the administrative sector (which is smaller, taking up a third of the remaining space). The commercial sector can be encountered in the southeast - how? I thought Mylthis was East of Sihitara? of the town (so that those leaving Sihitara that don’t know of its existence are sure to encounter it). This sector is centred around the Great Market, similar to the one which can be found in Karakan but is based on stalls rather then workshops and the like. The Great Market (as the name implies) is a gargantuan area filled with travelling merchants (and a few who reside in Mylthis themselves) and willing customers from near and far.

Before you even see the market, you can hear it. The noise erupted from the area would be large enough to make a deaf man’s ear’s throb in pain, with endless bartering, mindless conversation, thousands of footsteps and the clinking of even more coins as they are exchanged from the buyer to the trader, but those of Mylthis seem to have adjusted to it, treating it as normality. The great market appears as an endless, mindless expanse of identical trader’s tents and stalls as far the eye can see (and the Krean are known to display very good eyesight). It is said that if you can’t find an item in the Great Market, it probably doesn’t exist, as literally anything can be purchased. Though many smile at the prospect of being able to find absolutely anything they normally overlook two things, the price (Mylthis encourages high prices as they charge a commission for trading there, one twentieth of their takings)

Again the same issue: If these people have to live here because only upper middleclass and above can afford the burning prices in Sihitara (especially the housing sector), does this really make sense? It would be like having Armani or Gucci in a small country village...

One other problem: Why would Sihitara tolerate this? They want the money going IN not away from their city. All the greaft merchant families would not tolerate such lucrative trade in their workers' hometown... Always think of this: Sihitara is the metropolis - which means all the luxury / posh products, places are there (ie making collossal amounts of money from essentially less demanding things. This is especially true of the service sector -when you go to a five star restaurant you don't pay to fill your stomach, you pay for the ambiance and the 'experience' of tasting something exquisite or unique (Terry Pretchet's 'Aubergine de Terre' s from Hogfather come to mind, lol) more than the food itself.

So, if Mylthis wants to have its own market to prosper it probably should target a different 'audience': Either 'cheaper' prices (but then not as professional or fashionable as the ones in Sihitara, but 'made to last' sort of stuff) or illegal trade.

and the fact that Great Market has no structure. Though clusters of stalls may be found that sell similar items, the Market has no allocation for item type. It is not uncommon to walk past a stall selling exotic perfume, and the next stall to sell illegal goods (such as the Sihitaran glass throwing stars that supposedly haven’t been produced for years). Though amazing, the market is still a very dangerous place. Foreign criminals disguised as traders or costumers enter the market and mug, steal and in rare cases even kill others (nobody notices in the constant hustle and bustle) - why would the Krean (also the governess  watchment etc of the Sihitaran region) allow this? Maybe they need an 'out-flow' of criminals from their city to keep Sihitara's sparkling-clean appearance? So they have realized that even in the most orderly, civilised societies when there is a convergence of people (especially all those traders coming from abroad) some level of crime is inevitable. So they thought: Well if we MUST have it, let's not have it HERE. So they turn a somewhat blind eye towards these murkier deals in Mylthis and in return the criminals do not pursue their 'business' interests in Sihitara. Makes crime control a lot easier (again Lord Vetinari's 'annual thieving quotas' come to mind lol). It is all about appearance - keep Sihitara as safe, clean and gorgeous as possible to impress the foreign merchants. Lure the rich to the metropolis, give them a safe and beautiful environment to spend lots and lots of money, fund the metropolis...

and many accidents have occurred when uncharacteristically, a trader’s Krog (an unusual beast that can pull great weights that horse could not manage) has crushed somebody.

The main lesson for today is if you make an assertion, you have to substantiate it. The more out of place it seems the stronger the argument you must have to convince your readers of its logic.

Many of the Krean entries I've written so far tend towards the fantastical - that is intended: the Ancient Krean are supposed to represent a sort of 'Atlantis' civilisation for western Nybelmar which everyone now reminisces about / mythologize (is that even a word?) now. Contrast it with the entries I will be working on for the Lost Ones - where the atmosphere will be more of secrecy, fear and dark beauty. The greater the dream, the greater the fall - I must idolize Dearan's time to put post-Breaking into sharper contrast.

Overall very decent work! A well-written entry with a number of innovative touches (which Judith has already mentioned - I too love the familiar-statutes). Just a bit more revision to round up the edges (the 'coherence' issues) and oomph (which should happen if you come up with creative answers to some of the questions i've raised) needed to make this a true masterwork. Right now it is a good - i might even say very good - entry. It just needs the icing on the cake, the oomph/wow never thought of that factor now. :D

---- the next section to come tomorrow ----

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2007, 02:43:45 »

Btw I just realized it can't be Rhsall (that's the one around the capital city, did I also mention that for Sihitara?) Narah borders the Sparkling River for instance (and that's in the east).

Hmm... Can't really remember where exactly Sihitara was supposed to sit in the Twin kingdom! I need my maps (which are sadly back at home...) *pouts* But if I haven't mentioned Rhsall in one of the Sihitara related entries it cannot be very near. Probably it has tributaries merging into the Sihitaran rivers though (as Rhsall is one of the two really really really gigantic rivers of the southern peninsula)

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2007, 03:11:26 »

Thank You Coren!

Ironically, I now have very little time to intergrate your comments. I could edit in a few of them at the weekend but I have by assessed speech tommorow, my trip to the embassy the next day, by essay due the day after that....I have alot of school based stuff to do at the moment.

BTW: I would like to see this 'mind maps' of yours...

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2007, 03:20:21 »

Which mind-map Decipher? Are you referring to my comment on Sihitara? I drew the markers on a real map this summer - which means they are unfortunately back in Turkey.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2007, 03:59:27 »

The rest of the commercial sector consists of a few craftsmen workshops, mostly carpenters and sculptors who sell their finished works in the Market. These workshops are nowhere near as beautiful as the housing districts, but still retain aspects of Aesteran artisanship (as they all have a familiar, but these are normally tools of their trade rather then animals).  There is one notable workshop however owned by Huricad Aursnare - I see Gean has already said what I was going to mention; I think we had the same discussion vis-a-vis the Scarlet Drake (btw, remind us to go back to that entry when we get the nybelmarian timeline into a more managable shape), which is one of the only places where Aesteran curved daggers are still produced. 

EDIT:
Quote from Artimidor on this point (On Nicoli's Sunth):
Mayor: As the entry is a Compendium entry, it should be somewhat independent from present stuff, as e.g. the mayor could die this year, and next year the entry would be outdated. You could mention something general, e.g. that "mayors" are often sel proclaimed in this town, and that Elias Reedbark was one of the most notorious of them, who came to power 1659 or so. This way you'd elegantly avoid mentioning him explicitely as the present mayor. The entry should be ideally written so that you can read it as accurate, even if Elias is gone already.

The administrative sector, though the smallest, is the most beautiful part of the entire town, showing some of the finest works of architecture just for the sake of beauty. It is here where the great silver statue of the Greater Malise Bird mid flight was erected and has remained since, a golden engraving underneath sporting the town’s motto. From the statue you may go in four directions (excluding the way you came), each of which look identical (so that any visitors could not locate the governor’s house). - Which direction is the reader supposedly coming from? The where isn't made entirely clear, right now it reads as if no matter which direction you came from you would end up in the temple - which, unless the Aesteran architects had a magically inclined Escher among them should not happen The first (the one directly ahead) leads to Mies’ha (‘Drowning Beauty’ in ancient Aesteran), a temple to the ocean goddess Arlea. Mies’ha is one of the strangest temples to Arlea, as its priesthood consists entirely of women (Arlea has very few priestesses), which call themselves Hie’kea (which can be roughly translated from ancient Aesteran to ‘White Mist’, which is a very fitting name).

Why do they have a temple -and such an important one at that- here? Sihitara has THE largest temple dedicated to the two goddesses (except perhaps the 'High Temple' of Ankriss, which is a city in itself anyway) - it basically IS the central (and largest) district in Sihitara - but fair enough: I only mentioned it on ezboard while the Narah district was being written. So, again, we need to come up with an original excuse to keep them here:

Let's see... Perhaps the White Mist is an 'outcast' sect (I had a similar idea long ago, maybe this (NB: I can't find the link right now so I have included the text below) could be of some inspiration (though don't 'import' that sect into Mylthis - you should have a different one) the rest of the priesthood of Arlea does not approve of? (If so, can you think of why this might be?) Are they perhaps too radical? too extremely conservative in their beliefs? too liberal or progressive?

Mies’ha is one of the strangest temples to Arlea, as its priesthood consists entirely of women (Arlea has very few priestesses), How can Arlea have very few priestesses when most of Her clerics are female? Are you referring to something I wrote? which call themselves Hie’kea

The ‘White Mist’ dresses in entirely white robes (when pastel blues are normally favoured by others) and is known to bleach their hair white - why is this? I can see a great lore/belief/myth opportunity here ;) - But one thing you should be careful of is inadvertantly giving this 'white skin' thing a racial edge - we certainly don't want to be accused of racism, especially when it is not intended, do we? . They are apparently some of the most proficient practitioners of Aesteran Water magic (some say their mystical presence is what allows the plumbing system to work so efficiently) and are definitely the most renowned group - ehem... remember what we say in general about superlatives? of Arlean priestesses. They are very secretive, and it is believed that on Sálárhí-Lérín (‘Change of the Tide’) they are at their strongest, and are able to dissolve themselves into a mist help guide the gifts to Sihitara down the river Rhsall. I like this! It also shows that you've done your research and thought about it to come up with an original 'addition' rather than something out of the blue. These things always earn you marks here :)

(Rest to come later) EDIT: Later is now.

If you return to the statue, and you take the left route you will be taken to the Governor’s house. The governor’s is perhaps the grandest structure in the entire town, made entirely from marble that is polished daily to keep its sheen. The house itself has furnishings befitting a palace (some of which might of actually come from the Royal palace ??? Why? How? This doesn't make sense - why would the royal family give away its treasured collection? And if they do why to Mylthis and not Sihitara?), with a total of fourteen bedrooms, (Oh god! Now I really have to create a palace for the Governess in Sihitara! ;) each as well decorated as his own personal master bedroom. Though access to the bedrooms was disallowed to the compendium, the governor did show his famous art gallery, showcasing some of the greatest pieces -  Again the 'this is a workers' town. Even if it wasn't, Sihitara would not have allowed them to go to a neighbouring town. With so much capital it could have outbid any of the smaller towns. Just say 'some great pieces' perhaps. of modern times (as well as a few less then great pieces created by himself). The garden behind the house was so densely packed with various pieces of flora it was hard tell where the garden ended and the Jungle began - I like this, suits the Krean (and I think it was mentioned somewhere that they do prefer a 'wild'/natural look in their gardens to some extent) Well spotted! (if it wasn’t for the imposing metal fence of course).

If you will once again return to the monument, and take the penultimate route, you will be lead to the famous Malise bird song theatre where performances are held most nights. The theatre itself is called Kinar'Che (which translated literally means feather music, probably making reference to the wing movements that the bird performs to create the sound - now that impresses me ;) Always count on the dear old Ego - don't we just LOVE when our entries are noticed/referenced? Lol especially when they aren't up yet. Heh heh.) and is a grand building that stands out when compared to any other in the town. Though  made of the same white marble, the building is adorned with various symbols crafted from bronze, mainly trees, leaves and birds. The building is a large cylinder that is much wider thAn it is tall, showing great comparison to the more clean cut, rectangular structures (Maybe mention that this contrasts "traditional" Krean architecture, which is more 'flowing' and smooth?) surrounding it. Inside the building the first thing you notice is the smell, as the walls are covered in burning aromatic candles made from Kitjuran wax - nice! It it GOOD to see that you don't write an entry and then forget about it. Recylcling is useful -gives the appearance of a close-knit world :), releasing a sweet scent into the air. Nice atmospheric touch. At night the candles give the theatre an eerie but relaxing glow. In the centre of the huge circular ground floor is the hardwood stage, on which all of the instruments are kept (with places reserved for the Great Hummers). From the stage the seats go out and upwards in tiers (the seating being padded circular benches), each bench getting wider and higher up. In total there are about fifteen tiers, large enough to seat around five hundred people. When your gaze is drawn upwards, you spot the grand glass ceiling, so that on a starlit night the stars may be seen, but the atmosphere of the performance may not escape. A performance at the theatre can be anything from energetic and lively to a sorrowful lament (due to the great versatility of the musicians and the Malise bird) ,due to the theatre's circular walls whatever the sound is it travels around very easily, allowing everybody to hear it in it's truest splendour.

Back at the statue, if you decide to take the final route, you will encounter the imposing bureaucratic buildings, which deal with numerous things such as housing and policing. The town treasury, the council and various other authoritarian bodies’ headquarters are located here, though they all seem identical, and not very exciting either. Though they are as beautiful as those of the housing districts, they lack heart, which is probably due to who works there. Mylthis is not the most politically significant area, and as such those which pursue a career in the field are normally disheartened, as very few who have worked there have ever been promoted to the Sihitara, and even fewer to the senate. > Again, makes sense.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2007, 07:32:48 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2007, 04:01:48 »

There we go: (I couldn't find the board copy, this one was saved on my laptop)

Priestess Xályníá (4540 b.S – unknown)
A legendary Aestara (Aesteran water priestess) who discovered that the fabric a spell is spun from influences its weave (this sentence doesn't make sense! I have no idea what I had in mind... uff... I hate bad grammar). Commemorated as the official heroine of her home town, Sáh, for creating the first runic lace to prevent and contain the blast of the hellspit plant in 4503 b.S. Her symbol is a blue-black Ráxén Butterfly with half stretched wings.

Declared “Enemy to the Imperial Throne” after the murder of the then-reigning emperor of the Earth League in 4493 b.S. The whole incident is believed to have happened when the Emperor refused to acknowledge the High Temple of Arléá’s request for imperial funding and sent the dead body of an Aesteran orphan to Priestess Xályníá (head of the Aestaran envoy) as a reminder of her heritage (or lack thereof) and her people’s place in the League’s hierarchy. The Emperor was found – literally – ice-covered to death by dawn the next morning. The situation was further aggravated when the Aesteran Arcane Treasuries petitioned to retain the frozen corpse as “a perfect example of frost interlacing” under Exhibit 17 and the Twin Senate refused to hand Xályníá to the Imperial Inquisition maintaining that she was under the aegis of the High Temple until stripped of her powers by the High Goddess. The case has remained open until the dissolving of the League after the Breaking. Over the years a curious honorary position (reserved only to Esteemed Attorney Generals) among Aesteran lawyers has developed: being one of the “Advocates for Xályníá” to “keep stalling the Imperial Court of Inquisition till the waters stop flowing”.

Xályníá isolated herself from Sáh to put a stop to the town’s suffering from imperial powers for her crimes and with seven other priestesses founded the secret priesthood of “the Daughters of Arléá” in 4490 b.S. The sect operates with all the grace and secrecy of “frost spreading on a quiet stream” to avenge and protect those – no matter their heritage, belief or race – persecuted by the Empire. The Daughters of Arléá undertake a heavy stealth and close combat training and are renowned for their mastery of ice-magic (latin for this?) The exact location of their sanctuary is only known to the Frost Daughters, but it is rumored that the entrance is marked by a grand statue of Priestess Xályníá welcoming the Frost Kin with a gigantic Ráxén Butterfly perched on her back.

The time and whereabouts of Xályníá’s death are unknown. A local legend in Sáh tells that their heroine never experienced a mortal death, but instead merged with the Sacred Waters of the High Goddess to keep serving the only mother she ever had until the end of days.

-------------------------

NB: The technical term for Aesteran priestesses is 'Aestara' - confusing, I know... Which is why, whenever I use the proper term, I also try to include the explanation.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2007, 04:06:19 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2007, 04:13:11 »

Errr....What does that description have to do with my entry (no offence...I'm sure it is something important...I just don't know what it is)

Also:

From Above

Mies’ha is one of the strangest temples to Arlea, as its priesthood consists entirely of women (Arlea has very few priestesses), How can Arlea have very few priestesses when most of Her clerics are female? Are you referring to something I wrote? which call themselves Hie’kea

From the Krean Entry

Code:
Aesteran males on the other hand tend towards rather a magic occupation. The women of Aestera oftentimes join the male diplomats of Lillivear in the twin kingdom’s High Council.

I was under the impression that men were those who dabbled in the divine, as when I first asked about the Krean occupations you told me that the Lillivear and the Aestera had opposite gender roles (usually), so I assumed that due to the large abundance of priestesses for Ankriss (lillvearan deity) would result in a large abundance of priests for Arlea (aesteran deity). Am I wrong?

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2007, 06:28:41 »

Let's see... Perhaps the White Mist is an 'outcast' sect (I had a similar idea long ago, maybe this (NB: I can't find the link right now so I have included the text below) could be of some inspiration

Sorry for not making it clear.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 138
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)