Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: árne'lón  (Read 12353 times)
Clurion

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 25 December 2006, 05:53:05 »

árne'lón

Overview:
    The árne'lón, or ''striking wood'' when translated, is a blunt wooden weapon traditionally made of wood from the ashwude tree. It was traditionally used by the goltherhim elves, but it has expanded some to a sparce populations and the guards of different cities. The reason guards adapted it, was the fact that it is light, can be concealed easily, and is somewhat easy to use.

Weapon Description:
    The árne'lón is a blunt wooden weapon of rather simple design. It is composed of 2 different parts. The main part of the árne'lón, which is called the central shaft, is a short, wooden pole (color varying depending on wood). This part of the árne'lón is approximately 1 fore and a palmspan to 1 fore and 2 palmspans long, which is the same size all the way. It is smooth to the touch when new but wears down over time unless kept in very good shape. The other part, which is the handle, is another even shorter wooden pole. It is found about 1 palmspan from one end and is about Ľ of the length of the central shaft.

Some árne'lóns are engraved with a variety of special or superstitious symbols. Also, on some occasion, they are made out of metal for ceremonials purposes, but these are harder to wield efficiently. Some even go to the point of adding sharpened extensions onto it. But this is rare since there are a variety of better and normally pointed weapons.

Usage:
    Primarily used by guards and security all over, also the Goltherrhim Elves. At first, was a primary weapon for men of the Goltherrhim Elven tribe. Eventually women started to use it too. Gradually people began to notice it and found that they wanted one of them. Soon it became widespread over the world, but then was forgotten, as metal weapons came into play, and only used by guards and the Goltherrhim Elves. Also, a few people here and there.

Fighting Style:
    The árne'lón traditionally only had one way to hold it, but there have been other ways of holding it developed through the course of time. It is best handled by using two árne'lóns, one in each hand.

While in a defensive state, and holding it by the handle, one can use the strength of the forearm, and the protection of the shaft, to stop an attack. Another way to defend onesself, besides parrying, is to hold onto both ends of the shaft and completely stop an attack.

On the other hand, when using it offensively, and holding it by the handle, one can use a numerous ammount of ways to swing the árne'lón and attack an adversary. One way is by swinging it, and then bringing it down with the swing of your arm. Another way, is to jab at your adversary. When holding by the shaft, one can use as a club, unless you hold it at the end that doesn't contain the handle. Then you can use it like a hammer, swinging at your opponent with the handle.

Origin/History:
    It was made by the Goltherrhim elven tribe around the time the club and the cudgel was made. It was used by the men of the tribe back then. Then, the women also started to use it after about 400 years. Over time, people that passed saw it and gained a liking to it. Soon, they started asking for their own, but the Goltherrhim refused at first. After a while, the finally agreed to make them some and it got out. After it was adapted by other people around the world, it was discarded a few centuries later by all except the elves, due to their natural trust in wooden weapons, and guards. This was due to the metal weapons being created, since they were much deadlier and could hold up longer.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2007, 09:58:07 by Clurion » Logged

Kanji Version:
Semenai de! Kesanai de! Makenai de!
Dare datte motteru hazu yuzurenai mono.
Ai dake! Yume dake! Kimi dake!
Sorre dake ha hanasanai donna toki demo.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2006, 10:40:39 »

Personally, I don't think we need to accept every little variant on a sword into the Compendium, so if I were modding in the RPG Forum, I'd say to go ahead and use the first weapon for your character - we don't need to 'approve' it or make it official by means of an entry.

However, I really like the second - the Tonfa, except for its name, which needs to be changed for Santharian integration.  You could be cute and just call it the Fa-Ton, or make it oenomatopaeic (a word which mimics a sound, such as 'tick-tock')  and call it the Tonkhon or Tuktonk :)

Is it possible for you to look for the proper template for weapons entries, fill it in for the 'Tonkhon'  and add some integrated, specifically Caelerethian details?

Please don't link it to your family and your character exclusively, however.  It's not only not original, it smacks of special pleading ("nobody ELSE has one or knows how to use it!")   If you do a convincing job on your character submission, which you obviously know goes on the RPG board, not here (thank you for actually READING the FAQs and other info!), and come up with a good origin for this weapon, then INTEGRATE the two, you'll spear two frogs with one trident, as the Mullogs say...

Find a geographic location that seems realistic to have developed a wooden rather than a metal weapon.  Within that location, choose an appropriate tribe or clan.  Perhaps your character is from that clan, or his mother brought the knowledge of how to make the Tonkhon with her when she eloped with his father?  Think outside the box!

So, will you give it a try, Clurion?  I do like the idea - here's to making it an entry!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Clurion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2006, 11:27:53 »

yeh that will work but it might take me some time so im sry if it takes awhile.

Kanji Version:
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2006, 22:51:34 »

A short blunt weapon that is the same width for its entire length is normally called a stick rather than a club. 

In general, I'd suggest more details, and possibly a rewrite of the history section.  It just does not make sense at the moment. 

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2006, 07:55:35 »

Origins there is still character based. You could name a person (other than the character's grandmother) who introduced the idea or a concept to the tribe or world at large.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Clurion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2006, 07:59:14 »

i dont mean she brought it into the world, she is just the one who brought one of few from her tribe with her. basically his grandmother's tribe created it long ago and then when they split up his grandmother brought it with her and thats how his family began to use it. other people use it but thats how he began but i prolly need to put how it was created not began with my character though sry

Kanji Version:
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2006, 08:39:13 »

Clurion, I told you this had wider potential.  Since it is, in essence, a billy club, I'm sure our city watch would want to adopt it on sight.

Could you possibly make the history go back further and broaden it?  It really does not need to be unique to your family - in fact, since it's a specialized stick weapon, it probably wouldn't be.  Sorry if that will upset your character, but this is a concept which really should be more broadly used...

Think of it as a compliment - you've found a gap which can be usefully filled.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Clurion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2006, 09:04:20 »

is this better or need more modifying in a certain area?

Kanji Version:
Palence Sevith

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2006, 11:27:30 »

Fa-Ton:

Description:  A melee weapon that is like a pole only shorter and offset from the middle on one of the ends is a small handle that sticks out the side. Usually made of a strong type of wood.

Usage:  It is weapon used like a club, and prefered over the club, but could be swung around and could use much more force. Primarily not used against swords, but if the case needed, these could hold their own against a sword user if the owner[[weilder]] is skilled enough.

Fighting Style:  You hold it by the small handle that juts out of the one end's side. Mostly to swing it you start spinning it then bring it down just right and it will work better than a short sword sometimes. A disadvantage is that it is much harder to handle and takes much more practice than most wooden weapons. A [[an]] advantage though is, [[i think the comma should be before and after though, but not sure]]that when you do get use to it and are realitively [[relatively]]good with it, it becomes very powerful.

Origin/History:  It was made by the Goltherrhim elven tribe around the time the club and the cudgel was made. It was used mainly by the guards back then, but when someone [[maybe you should describe this person and make him/her infamous for spreading this weapon. Make it creative]]went out of the city and had one[[with one]], a law enforcemen[[enforcement]] of that largerer [[larger]]city saw it and they changed from clubs to this unique weapon. After that it started adapting as the new guard/law enforcement weapon. Although they do not take the praise for introducing it they were the true makers of the fa-ton. After a while, the guards threw the fa-tons away and adopted swords. So the women took it up in the village.
Also, try not to use "you" as much. It makes this sound a bit ...idk..it just doesn't sound right (IMHO). Well hope I helped! Good luck.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2006, 11:34:11 by Palence Sevith » Logged

An ounce of faith could move mountains.
Clurion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2006, 21:00:54 »

is this better or do i need more detail? if so please help me in anyway possible.

Kanji Version:
Clurion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2007, 10:14:48 »

i fixed this december 28 and havent gotten a reply so may i please have one.

Kanji Version:
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2007, 14:15:59 »

Details, details, details.

For example:  you don't give the weapon's dimensions (in Santharian measurements, please) - it could be a ped long ('like a pole' - a meter) or two spans long (about ten inches) !  You don't say what it is commonly made from; we have a very detailed Herbarium, and with a bit of research you could choose some of our hardwood trees and integrate their names into this entry, for which you get commended.   Try Eur'oak, for example...

Use 'one' instead of 'you' - it needs to have a more detached, professional style.

Use the templates provided, or look at other weapon entries on the site (www.santharia.com) to see how thoroughly they have been filled in!

Give examples of fighting style - what strikes, defensive moves, offensive moves are possible?  You don't have to get fancy and name them all, or anything - something as simple as "The fa-ton can be held by the far end and swung to catch an attacker's weapon between butt and handle, then twisted to jerk the weapon from his grip. It can also be used to...." and so on.

Oh, and a clearer description would really help.  We should be able to see it in our mind's eye!  How far offset from the middle is the handle?  How long is it?  What's the shape?  Give the basic parts names (tip, butt, handle, shaft, guard, striker, etc.)

The history will need to be elaborated, but you're on the right track.

Thanks for persisting with this, and I'm sorry that no one more qualified to comment on weapons than this humble bard has dropped by - but do remember that holidays are a busy time, and getting back from holidays into the swing of classes or work again is always stressful!

Start with some of my ideas and see where you get, all right, Clurion!

Thumbs up!

Clurion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2007, 08:26:14 »

ok well this is a little confusing to me so if you want to create your own template on this i dont mind cause i havent had much time to read about these type of creations so feel free to try and come up with a completely new post of how it can be described as im not that good at it yet.

Kanji Version:
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2007, 06:39:31 »

Hey, clurion! What has become of this one?

It's definitely a good start, but as Judy already pointed out, more details would ne needed. And Judy has been quite precise that more exact measurements would be needed etc. We don't want to "create our own template on this", you already have followed the sections scheme as you should have, the weapon only needs to be described a bit better and elaborated here and there.

For inspiration have a look at other weapon entries on the site - we don't need novel-sized entries, but a bit more depth couldn't hurt. What you have is fine so far :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2007, 07:11:23 »

Fa-Ton:

Description:  A melee weapon that is like a pole only shorter and offset from the middle on one of the ends is a small handle that sticks out the side. Usually made of a strong type of wood. Im not a huge fan of the wording here. People get thier visuals in a certain order- starting with the first discription, which leaves the biggest impact, to the last, which leaves the smallest. So when people read this, they start out thinking "pole" which is definetly not what your going for. Try something along the lines of: "The Fa-Ton is a melee wepon consiting of a handle coming off of a small pole at a 90 degree angle. It is about a *however long it is in Santharia* long. it is ussually made of a strong wood.

Usage:  It is weapon used like a club, and preferred over the club, but could be swung around and could use much more force. Primarily not used against swords, but if the case needed, these could hold their own against a sword user if the wielder is skilled enough. A tonfa requires much more finesse then a club. As a martial artist in a heavy-weapons system, (Sorry, have to go, finish commenting later)

Fighting Style:  You hold it by the small handle that juts out of the one end's side. Mostly to swing it you start spinning it then bring it down just right and it will work better than a short sword sometimes. A disadvantage is that it is much harder to handle and takes much more practice than most wooden weapons. An advantage though is that when the wielder does get use to it, and is relatively good with it, it becomes very powerful.

Origin/History:  It was made by the Goltherrhim elven tribe around the time the club and the cudgel was made. It was used mainly by the guards back then, but when a simple merchant lady went out of the city and had one with her, a law enforcement of that larger city saw it and they changed from clubs to this unique weapon. After that it started adapting as the new guard/law enforcement weapon. Although the Goltherrhim elves do not take the praise for introducing it, they were the true makers of the fa-ton. After a while, the guards threw the fa-tons away and adapted to swords. So the women took it up in the village.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]