Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The island of vellond and the underdark(detailed to the extreme)  (Read 11316 times)
Philosophical freaky guy

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 09 January 2007, 13:21:29 »

This may look stupid at first, but it can be a well apreciated spot for game development.

Okay, there is a island in the far east which is called vellond, ancient dwelling of the drow. you wouldn't see them at first, and most idiots turn away and leave.But they live under the well of portland inn, near the coast. If you ask around, people will tell you the tales of the underdark, located under the inn of the well. Dwelling within are ogres, and mad dwarves who long ago were adventurers, but lost their way. Also there are goblins, and the larger cousins of goblins, "hobgoblins". Everywhere you turn, there are evil orcs, mad wizards, the undead, vampires, liches, confused and violent faeries, ogre tribes, and, a tribe of humans who aren't what they seem, if you are fooled into the quest they give you, which is to find three magical keys hidden on each far corner of the dungeon, it will be too late once you learn that they are half leopard, halfm humans that were cast into prison for their many evil deeds.

But if you stop there, you'll miss out on the quest to help the islanders by killing the drow queen, who rules the drow, hidden deep below the dungeon. It won't be easy to find the drow though, you will have to finish the leopards human's quest, protect yourself from them, and then combine the keys to open the single locked door to the REAL underdark, where the drow reside.

Well, to describe the upper islanders, and their business, they are slave traders who specialize in pleasuring their costumers, with slave massages, and luxurious accomodations. But that's just the merchant class, the people of vellond live in a feudal system which is injust, and anyone who opposes the monarchy is instanly made a slave or beaten to death. But there are multiple kingdoms at war there, and here are the kingdom names:

Urcadia, the main slave trade enterprise kingdom.
     Gonlindale, the warrior kingdom, known as ruthless conquerers.
     Evlindale, the elven kingdom which banished the drow to the underdark, they are the keepers of peace.
     And finally Mistland, the undead nemeses' of Gonlindor, who are shunned by all three other kingdoms, and are losing in war against Gonlindor.

Of course, the main quest for characters in this land is too defeat the drow queen hidden deep in the underdark, but I think of equal importance is the quest to help the elves unite the once peaceful island of vellond, either by force, or by diplomacy, or maybe with both, it will be a hard task indeed.

I will now descirbe the geography and weather of vellond. In Mistland, it is always bonechillingly cold, and it rains constantly, and there is constant volcanic action from the many craters in the kingdom, there is no natural plant life, so only carnivorious animals live there, everything is either black, warped, hideous, or just desolate and dead, this area used to be where the old cemetaries where, but people left when the dead started to rise, it is all very mysterious, i guess if you do the undead a favor, they may tell you their origins. It is located to the far east side of the island... Now to describe Urcadia, it is a strict, harsh, but happy looking place, full of splendour and gigantic castles and palaces, and right in the center is the capital, where the monarch rules over every living thing in the kingdom. The whole of the kingdom is located on the eastern coast of vellond, and it's practically impossible to attack the kingdom, because each castle is fortified with land, air, and sea defense, and the people took care to make everysingle castle nearly impregnable, not like they had a lack of resources, dealing in the slave trade and all... Evlindale is a very beautiful place, similar to lothlorien in J. R. R. tolkiens classic, the lord of the rings. It is the only uncorrupt place in the island, and the defenses wane more and more with time, they are constantly attacked by every other kingdom, and their time is running out, but somehow they manage to keep the peace as much as they can. But, to further describe thelandscape, everyone lives in trees, and the higher echelon elves live in trees that rival the redwoods in beauty, and in size. The climate is perfect, and the weather is very mild, due to all the powerful elven mages working for the good of the people, elves have sensitive skin, after all... And finally i'll describe gonlindale, the land of warriors. All races are welcome, but you have to fight to earn your keep, and the natives are kept strictly in shape, all constricted to farmwork, slavework, and fighting for the royal army. These people are mountain folk, and their fortresses are even more impregnable then the Urcadians, because every catsle is carved into the mountains, like helms deep. The reason behind this design is because the natives to the kingdom are a mixture of dwarves and humans, although they do not crossbreed, even in extreme rarities, the people can't mate because they are unfertile together. But nevertheless, they lived peacefully together and coexisted due to their likeness in interest to war and conquering territory. Rarely, there are craters and volcanoes around the land, but an arrangement was made with the elves to make the volcanoes inactive so the dwarves could forge their handiwork in the fiery hot lava, which makes the kingdom very resourcefull  in smithing projects, which makes it such a good area for a warrior kingdom, the location of these lands is the midwest mountain range of the huge island.

Well, what do you think, not too shabby? Or always a bridesmaid never a bride? I think it deserves a mention, but if it is not well tuned enough, tell me any changes i could make, because i think this world is awesome, and i always wanted to see the underdark portrayed in a post and text online d&d game, how about it?

Everything can be seen in a constant flow, just beneath our eyes, no matter how solid it looks, the shape of existence is an everchanging illusion, which has many different forms in the time span of eternity, much like true music, which reflects everchanging emotion and form and concepts which seem hard to understand, but are learned extinctively from experiences previously felt.
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2007, 13:54:21 »

???

We're not designing a D&D campaign, you know...

Philosophical freaky guy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2007, 13:57:51 »

lol, it's just a new continent for users to roleplay upon, i guess the administrators might be mad for me posting this, but i think it's quite detailed, i'm not really much of a newb at all to roleplay. I'm a diehard d&d fan.

Everything can be seen in a constant flow, just beneath our eyes, no matter how solid it looks, the shape of existence is an everchanging illusion, which has many different forms in the time span of eternity, much like true music, which reflects everchanging emotion and form and concepts which seem hard to understand, but are learned extinctively from experiences previously felt.
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2007, 14:11:53 »

No new continents are allowed.  There are a few continents that haven't had much work done on them yet, but they're currently not open for development, and probably won't be for a few years, at least.  What you've written is also not particularly detailed.  Just take a look at what we've done for Southern Sarvonia.

Another thing to note is that we're not creating what we create for the purpose of roleplaying.  Sure, you could use it as a setting for a RPG, and we even have a roleplaying board, but this board is all about world-building, not designing RPG settings. 

Philosophical freaky guy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2007, 14:39:21 »

Huh? That is worldcreating isn't it? I don't want to be an idiot who argues, but all I did was develop a world with indepth societies and landscapes, and a few possible tasks for gamers on the island.

Philosophical freaky guy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2007, 14:41:19 »

actually, i should be more specific on different things then?

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2007, 15:34:09 »

Well, I suppose you could define designing a RPG setting as a subset of world-building if you want to.  The purpose though, is very different from what we're doing here.  When you're creating a RPG setting, the important thing is that it'd be fun to roleplay in.  What we're doing here, essentially creating a world for the sake of creating a world, places much less importance on making the world a fun place to roleplay in.  The important thing to us is to make sure the world is realistic (ie. 'internally consistent', not 'resembling the real world').  This doesn't mean that it's not suitable for roleplaying in, but it does mean that roleplaying isn't directly supported. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2007, 20:17:22 »

There are rules on what can be developed in Santharia - if you look around you should find them as well, lukecash. Also judging from your various posts you seem to think that the site focuses mainly on RPGs and that what we develop here is developed for role playing purposes only. This is not the case.

Santharian world development does not directly affect the RPG Board, nor the other way round. We provide the world however, in which tales can be written and role playing stories can be played. But it's up to the story writers and the RPG Board what it makes out of that material. For the Santharian development board it is essential that the world is developed in depth and as consistently as possible and not of primary concern that the role players have a nice environment to play in. The second is a natural result of good dev work done, though.

To put it more clearly: Our priorities lie in developing in depth on what exists on the site, not to build completely new areas with new races and stuff that is not related to the rest of the world at all.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2007, 20:55:04 »

Just a comment, the entire underdark thing is taken from dungeons and dragons.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Philosophical freaky guy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2007, 00:43:33 »

lol, i know, the underdark is a classic scenario.

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2007, 05:09:49 »

That's why it isn't here. The underdark is from D&D, so are the D&D drow and i'm not sure but i think vellond is as well. This is SANTHARIA. not a cheepripoffofd&dsite okay?

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2007, 05:49:11 »

Niccoli, your coming of a bit harsh, but you are 100% right.
This site isnt just excitment adventure and cheap melodrama that so often plauges DnD campaigns. This is a living breathing world. This world makes sense, and DnD (read Dungeon Masters Handbook II, by the picture of the noble looking over the countryside, towards the begning) is not.
This world is so much more then DnD, and you need to see that. A lot of your posts have proffesed your unfortunate ignorance on this topic. But ignorance isnt such a bad thing. Its better then stubborness. Ignorance can be corrected.
Read through some entries, ecspecially places and look at the established templates.
Im not trying to come off as super-strict play by OUR rules, because thats not what Santharias about. Its fill-in-the-blanks, and its those blanks that will let your creativity shine.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Philosophical freaky guy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2007, 11:00:14 »

lol, now you make me look stupid, but i was just sparked by that idea, so i posted it. It's not really TOO much about roleplaying though, i WAS wondering if you guys included the drow in your npc collection in santharia.

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2007, 11:02:06 »

............  angry
Philosophical freaky guy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2007, 13:11:50 »

huh grin :P evil

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]