Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New & Improved Guide to Santharian Places Development  (Read 2938 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 16 January 2007, 07:16:19 »

I've taken the time today to clean up the sticky topics stuff in the Places Forum and made one final sticky topic out of it, which is now called "Guide to Santharian Places Development", see here.

What I did were the following things:
- Changed the old ezBoard code to the new SMF code so that everything can be edited properly now
- Removed already done entries
- Put all Manthrian stuff in one post, the Nybelmarian stuff in the other - new areas (provinces, continents, kingdoms etc.) will get their own post within the thread and thus can get linked properly
- Fixed old ezBoard links
- Fully restructured the thread, adding in anchor links and a menu on top (and Return to top links)
- Integrated the following stuff all in the thread:
  * How to Use the Development Icons ("+" icon added, addition to entry)
  * General Developing Rules
  * Guidelines on How to write Geographical Locations
  * Guidelines on How to write Buildings
  * Guidelines on How to write Kingdoms and States
  * Guidelines on How to Post Own Proposals
  * Entry Templates for Downloading/Copying
- Removed other unnecessary threads
- Note the new section called "Entry Templates for Downloading/Copying", which is based on a proposal by Talia to offer templates for Santharians to grab and start entries with them. Putting them directly into the thread is problematic, so I've put it into textfiles, which you can easily use now. So far I've only made empty templates, but I'll plan two more types: Templates which contain the whole text what should be in the sections (ideal for very newbish newbies), and another template will be an Uri-check template, which will contain an Uri colour legend (orange ... comments, yellow ... adjustments, grey ... comments), I'm open for colour schemes here, so feel free to propose something.

Hope you like the rework - it was very much necessary methinks :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2007, 08:35:15 »

Yellow for errata: grammar, spelling, and other 'minor' changes such as transposing two words
Orange for additions and extensive edits: expanded sentences, new sentences, revised paragraphs
Freechoice for editor's text: comments, questions, disagreements, clarification requests

Rationale:
I suggest that orange and yellow are the most frequently used, and stand out the best - so make them the 'defaults' for editing.   However, depending upon personal preference and computer displays, a number of people have their own favorite colour (or even custom colour, like Rayne's cerubell!) to do comments in - so why not leave that unique to the editor?  That also allows a number of edits to be made and show up.  Of course white is the default for the composer/creator/submitter!

« Last Edit: 16 January 2007, 08:39:48 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2007, 05:34:30 »

This template would be a suggestion only anyway, so you can still alter it any way you like. I could put three or four main variations in the template and everyone could pick one of his/her liking, so further proposals are welcomed :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2007, 10:20:42 »

Did I mention that the Guide looks stunning and 'much improved'?  (applauds sincerely)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2007, 05:32:33 »

Ok, finally the Places Guide is completed as intended. Further additions made during the last days:

- Completed the Entry Templates for Downloading/Copying section, now featuring a "Detailed entry check template (Uri-check)" and all Templates with and without explanatory text (newbie and expert versions)

- New section: "Exemplary Places Entries", featuring masterpiece entries and smaller, but well done entries to provide reference and inspiration

- New section: "Evocative Geographical Placenames" was added, converting Judy's suggestions taken from the Getty Thesaurus into a much better presentable table format

- Added a new thread in order to reserve Places entries

- Added links at all existing Places entry proposals directly opening a post within the Reserving thread

- Added reserving icon in front of already reserved entries and marked already reserved entries with grey colour

- Added "Suggest New Places to be Developed" at the end of the thread (accessible through quicklink from the top as well), so that new descriptions can easily be added below - the Moderator then has to move the posted stuff there up, until "Suggest New Places to be Developed" appears on the bottom again.

*phew* Guess this should do for now, can't possible make it much more comprehensive ;) - New Places suggestions will be added in soon! - Hope you like the update!
« Last Edit: 01 February 2007, 05:41:10 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2007, 05:44:37 »

The changes are stunning Arti!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2007, 06:11:48 »

Yes, I admired it already some days ago.

Could you please tell me how to link from the menu on top of the thread to where the actual articles are? Then I don't have to find it out myself. 

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2007, 06:12:54 »

Ah yes, two more things to come:

a) A text template link at the bottom with the data in it how to post new entry suggestions. This way you should be able to post an entry suggestion with a few click - copy & paste, reply, fill in the data, done.
b) @Talia: Yes, I'll put up the sources of the Guide thread in textfiles, so that other Mods have an idea how that is done. Perhaps some Mods would like to set up similar guides, then this surely will help. ;)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2007, 05:09:14 »

Ok, suggestions and reservations are now where they are meant to be, and at the bottom of the thread a link to a textfile template is now contained in order to copy and paste new places suggestions.

Plus, here's the help for every Mod who'd like to do something similar - The top post, the Manthrian suggestions post and the last post are available in the following files in the form of the source codes:

Places Guide 1
Places Guide 2
Places Guide 3

If you look in the source code a bit, you'll find out e.g. how linking is realized here (through iurl and a corresponding anchor) - if you have questions, just ask!

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2007, 05:24:57 »

Please excuse me for asking these questions, which might be self-evident to you:

What is an iurl?

Why does it for example say [iurl =#GeneralRules]General Developing Rules[/iurl]? ie how does SMF pick the right place to jump to? Is it because you later defined an "anchor" as "Icons" ( )?

What if I want to link to a specific post in a different thread?

Or a part of a different post in the same thread? (eg the jump to "Places of the Province of Manthria" post - so long as I name the anchors differently, it doesn't matter in which part of the thread they are? (whether in the same post or not)?

Sorry!
« Last Edit: 27 February 2007, 05:27:09 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2007, 05:42:47 »

An IRUL is a link that jumps to an ANCHOR at the page that is displayed. So you need to define that anchor at this page (the anchor can be in another post, but needs to be at the page that is currently displayed). An IURL link with #GeneralRules jumps of course to an Anchor defined as #GeneralRules.

If you want to link to a post in a different thread then you cannot jump to an anchor, but you can use IURL to open the new page to replace the current page and not to open it in a new window, which URL does.

To link to a specific post in another thread you should open that post, go to the header of the post, right-click (in IE for example) and copy that URL to be used as your linking URL.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2007, 05:49:50 »

Does the same thing apply to a post on say page 3 of the same thread? So instead of an anchor I'd still use a url link? (what if only one part of that post needs to be targeted? eg imagine you had that main post on page 2, and you wanted to anchor/iurl to Judith's words list in that post)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2007, 05:55:04 »

If you use an anchor then the page needs to be already displayed to be jumped to through #Anchorname, it only scrolls down to that point. No page 3 linking possible with anchors (no scrolling down possible), you need to use IURL, then the page 3 post is opened anew at this point.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]