Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shady Grove, "Banditwoods"  (Read 3659 times)
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 03 February 2007, 03:46:27 »

OVERVIEW:

Shady Grove, also called "Banditwoods" among the locals, is a forested area in the eastern Manthrian province of Santharia, west of the Propsper Mountain Range and north of the last part of the Mashdai River flowing into the Adanian Sea. The Shady Grove would be a quite idyllic place, if there weren't occasional raids on travellers by bandits, supposedly hailing from their hideout in the abandoned Deepgorge's Mine. This earned the woods the name "Banditwoods", and many travellers shun passing through these woods therefore, except the Black Butterfly Rovers, who are often seen camping in the southern woods regularly and don't seem to mind as there is not much to steal from them.

DESCRIPTION:

The Shady Grove is about  sixty strals wide and about hundred strals long, so for the few days of travelling there is a slight chance of  getting ambushed by bandits, that's ,of course, if you can find a safe route other than the main path which is overgrown and abandoned, but still followable.

The Southern Forest:

The south of the Shady Grove is like a mild orchard with a few groups of trees here and there, it is flat so you can see houses that belong to farmers and woodcutters. The houses are scattered and mainly poor, a few people will walk slow and work not paying attention to what surrounds them, always scared of newcomers. The main path runs happily through the south part of the Banditwoods, winding here and there around small hills and rocks. There are many wild fields with gentle flowers and scarce bushes. The only thing that looks like a settlement in Shady Grove is the Stony Well. Stony Well is a group of four houses (a stable, bed house, tavern, supply house) with a well in the middle which are located in the south of the Banditwoods, although the water in the well isn't near to tasty at all, the Stony Well is still a popular place for all the visitors that do not pay attention to what they eat or where they sleep. In Stony Well we can find traders which do not eat or sleep inside but camp outside, bandits of all three bandit groups, travellers that pass from Marcogg to the Adanian Sea by the North River Road and some of the commoners. Although the tavern isn't the best in business it still makes a nice amount of money which  then goes as a "protection" for one of the bandit groups.

Central Woods (Stealwood):

The main part (or the Stealwood) of the Shady Grove is a forest which slowly passes from completely flat to hilly as you progress farther north, especially in the part that is closer to the Deepgorge Mine hills. The air is fresher here than in the sunbathed south of the Banditwoods due to the more denser adjustment of trees and large bushes. On some clearings we can find small forts made by the Yellow Pillagers, one of the bandit groups, which control this area. They charge tolls for the passing through their area, but they still rob the company that has already payed the toll. The moisture in this central part results in a couple of small marshes which are hardly seen under the nice smelling grass.

Northern Woods and Rodlery's rest
The northern part of the Shady Grove is very dense, so dense that we can somewhere even find the Shadow grass. The smell of moss hovers in the air while the thick branches cover the light from the sky. Most trees in this part have a strange twisted shape and have a thick hard bark which is darker than on the other representatives of their species. There are small tree houses that belong to the Blue Rippers on these trees. The most famous place in the northern  part of the Shady Grove is a hill, under which Dragok Rodlery is probably buried. The path winds around the hill which is naked and stony, some say that in a windy night the terrible howl is heard from the hill and some believe that then the ghost of Dragok Rodlery searches for his traitor and revenge.

As stated, Shady Grove is located in the eastern Manthrian province of Santharia, west of the Propsper Mountain Range and north of the last part of the Mashdai River flowing into the Adaninan sea.

PEOPLE:

There are three different kinds of people you are likely to meet when travelling through Shady Grove, though, be it traders, commoners, Black Butterfly Rovers, Greylers or bandits you will always try to avoid any of those groups, although you can get through Shady Grove without anyone spotting you or do they just let you pass...? .

Traders:
Traders make rare appearance in the Shady Grove but they still make a nice prey for the bandits roaming around this forested area. The traders are usually wary and will not allow anyone to join their travelling group, they were tricked a couple of times by bandits. First they camped on a quiet night when some “lost” travellers approached them and asked for food and a place to stay over  night. When everyone were asleep one of the “travellers” sneaked outside the camp and called the bandits, next thing you know the camp was raided and the guards  were surprised and overwhelmed. Sometimes bandits even kidnap one of the traders and make him betray the other traders for money or just for the sake of it. The traders trade with all sorts of things including wool and food for the commoners, then they make trades with Marcogg for Sunth, Prosperous Mine, Kneef and Parthanul bringing new and expensive items to these small places which make a slow progress with the help of traders that risk their lives passing through Banditwoods.

Commoners:

Commoners are found mostly at the south border of the Shady Grove. They are primary woodcutters and failed miners who turned to farming. There are even a couple of shacks where the criminals from Marcogg and other near places lay low after a big theft or assassination. The commoners don't trust anyone but them and their families so when you come near of someone's property you will probably get a crossbow bolt in your behind or in the worst case your head or chest. Though commoners handle weapons pretty well, they don't oppose the bandits and bandits don't bother commoners unless they get their “protection”, which is given in gold, food, cattle and the rest a commoner has, even family members (especially female).

Bandits:
There are not so many bandits in Shady Grove as it were in the days of Dragok Rodlery, who united all the bandit groups in the Shady Grove and led a small army that terrorised the Parthanul and the Marcogg fiefs, but when Dragok died, bandits turned to their old ways and divided again, some even left the bandit business and started to live a honest life again. There are three bandit groups in Banditwoods: The Yellow Pillagers, The Red Marauders and The Blue Rippers, each of these groups were tattoos somewhere on the body (usually beneath clothes) in the colour of their name.

The Yellow Pillagers:

The Pillagers made a couple of small forts in the centre of the Shady Grove, where they defend themselves from the government by claiming that they are just honest traders and that they do not have anything with the other bandit groups. They have the least members than other groups and they do not fight often. Their primary weapons are deceit and cunningness and they make their fortune by bribing a trader and then just collecting the whole trading goods from that trader's company, after founding when and where the company will pass.

The Red Marauders:
The Marauders are very brutal, crude and violent, they use their strength and skill with weapons in their robberies and usually attack in great numbers. There are reasons to believe that they made their home in the Deepgorge Mine. Word is that Dragok Rodlery collected the treasure in one of the caves in Deepgorge Mine and some even say that that cave has a secret entrance, nobody knows did Marauders find the cave or not but the other groups and the government tries to get in the Mine to find the treasure and use it for their own purpose. The Graven of the Parthanul fief tries to get a clearance from the Duke to lead an assault on the Deepgorge mine and claims that all the treasure in there belongs to him and his fief as a payment for all the evil things bandit did to him, on the other hand Graven of the Marcogg fief claims that the treasure belongs to him, and so while the fight continues between the two Gravens the Marauders keep gathering their loot and keep the Shady Grove more dangerous.

The Blue Rippers:
The Rippers are specialized in assassination and spying, they are even hired by the government for assassination of other bandits in the Shady Grove and for spying on them. Some even say that the assassin that killed Dragok was a Ripper. The Rippers made their home in the north-western part of the Shady Grove, making their small houses on the rare big trees. They often seen in Nauthery buying supplies and making contracts with the Marcogg authorities. There are reasons to believe that the Rippers work with the authorities on exterminating all other bandit groups from Banditwoods, but they still rob the travellers that pass through it.

Black Butterfly Rovers:
Black Butterfly Rovers are often seen passing through Shady Grove and are usually camping in it at nights. Although bandits don't kill or rob them, they still want something from these rovers. The Black Butterflies give them the services of dancing, singing, healing, fortune telling and even prostitution. Though Dragok Rodlery didn't want to have any association with these roamers and he even forbid all of his bandits to have any association with them, the rules after Dragok's death had changed and now the bandits enjoy the company of Black Butterfly Rovers in their lairs.

Greylers:
Greylers also make an appearance in the Shady Grove, especially in the north western part where the Deepgorge mine's hills are, so it is believed that the Greylers there, live in small hidden caves.
Bandits usually don't harass Greylers and Greylers try to stay out of the bandit's way, although when bandits need work strength for rising fences or carrying wood and supplies they usually pick a couple of Greylers and return them exhausted and half-dead after few hours.

CLIMATE:

Due to it's comfortable position in the central Manthria and it's gentle, warm and refreshing climate, Shady Grove is an excellent place for a picnic, rest or recreation although it is one of the best place for robbery to.

FLORA:

Most plants that like moisture and light will be found in Banditwoods. There are a variaetiy of trees like: ashwudes, sheen, silvery silkel trees,  huge oaks and other. You can also find wild candlebushes, redberries and rare wild Brisulivan. In areas where trees are dense, we can find some shade grass and in the more open areas Lotann flowers often with Sunflowers at their sides. In the southern parts of the Shady Gorve the Kell herb is seen often.

FAUNA:

A great lot of smaller animals made their home in the forested grounds of Shady Grove. They often develop hiding skills and are quite afraid of newcomers and humans so you will rarely see them. From the animals we do see there are: rolling hedgehogs, field mice and others.

MYTH/LORE:

The most famous story about the Shady Grove is a story about the battle of Nauthery and the death of a great bandit called Dragok Rodlery (528. a.S.-575. a.S.) , who united all the bandit groups by promising them riches beyond their imagination, he pillaged and ransacked the Marcogg and Parthanul fiefs, serving death wherever he found a honest life. From the report of Woson Anbend, a captain of Marcogg militia:

"The Duke finally gave a permission to eradicate those bandits forever, so my unit and six other units will strike at them when they make camp in Nauthery. One of those blue guys said that to us and it looks like the commander believes him, if the commander believes him so do I...The commander said that this mission is top secret and we spent the last night and day before the mission in the fields next to Nauthery, hiding."

Some say that when Dragok last made camp, a seer of Seyella approached  him and stated that he will die this night. Dragok killed the seer for arrogance of talking about his death and the moments later attack started. When Dragok realised that the bandits weren't only overwhelmed but also betrayed, he tried to run. Next day he was found laying next to his horse with an arrow pierced through his vest. It is believed that he was betrayed and killed by a Blue Ripper.

A poem about the death of Dragok Rodlery, wrote by a Marcogg poet who was impressed with the bandit:

A great bandit he was, tall and crude,
a loud bloke, strong, fierce and rude.
Dragok's fists hit quick and hard,
a blade he wore he called the "Shard".
From him man and woman ran in fear
a seer though warned: "Death is near!"
These words the bandit heard and roared,
he grabbed the man, then pulled his sword,
dead Seyella's servant kissed the ground.
At that same moment Dragok heard a sound,
a black feathered arrow trusted his vest
and he made a painful, final little jest.
He fell as the arrow pierced him through:
The old man's prophecy had thus come true.

Another notable event that took part in the Shady Grove after Dragok is the Great Cleaning (1445. a.S.-1446. a.S.), when all the bandit groups where so numerous that they started a small war inside the borders of Banditwoods. Of course the authorities had to respond to such disturbance of peace and led an assault on Shady Grove. After they where pushed back, the bandits regrouped and united but they still couldn't win the much more organised and experienced Marcogg militia, so they retreated to Deepgorge Mine where they stood up for days until the militia got reinforcements consisting of siege weapons and broken through the Deepgorge Mine's gate and heavily defeated the bandit forces. Although the bandit's main force was defeated, another much smaller escaped through, some believe, a secret gate and dispersed around the forest. A couple of years past until the Shady Grove became as unsafe as it was before the Great Cleaning.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2007, 03:17:07 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2007, 20:24:44 »

So what do you think? Any sections to be added?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2007, 05:27:29 »

How about some Myth/Lore, there's lot of potential at such a forest - and how about expanding things here and there? A more dense description, more about the people etc. Still looks rather basic yet, Arceon.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grunok the Exile

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2007, 05:51:43 »

An excellent start, Arceon!  I think there are a few things you can add in here to make it even better though. (Edit:  I see Art has written something while I was posting - not surprising I guess as this took a while! grin)

First, how about a bit more descriptive "colour" in the description, especially in the beginning?  The way I write places entries (which you are welcome to do differently, I should say) is thus:  in the description I start writing by saying what you see first if you were arriving at the place.  Of course this will be different depending on how you arrive there, but you can write about all directions eventually if you like!  Does the edge of the forest loom toward you or does it look light, like an orchard?  Does it start gradually or is there a definite edge; is there a path and is it wide or overgrown; are there flowers here, streams, birdsong...?  At the moment you first describe what types of trees there are in the forest.  That sort of heavy detail should be left to the flora section, unless you are describing what they look like and not just listing names.  Even if you describe it nicely, you should aim to create an image of the place first, then fill in the details of what types of trees exactly, later in the description.

Be as elaborate as you can to really create the picture you see in the reader's mind.  Think about all five senses, describing not just what it is like to see, but also to hear and smell. Then add touch - things like whether or not there are prickly plants which can rip your clothes if you stray off the path, or if the trees grow low over the path so that branches will tip your hat off.  Are there a lot of leaves on the path so that horses might lose their footing on the ground?  Taste might include things like whether there are any streams you can drink from - do they taste sweet, or a bit earthy or leafy?  Is there a part of the forest where the smell of the trees and fallen leaves is so strong that after rain or on a hot day you can almost taste the smell?

Another point is that it would be quite helpful if you mentioned the size in strals of the woods.  If you look at the Manthrian map you can find a scale bar in the bottom right-hand corner.  At the magnification I have on screen, if I measure the banditwoods with a paperclip (hehe, I know...  it's the first thing to hand!) it is one paperclip wide and one-and-a-half-ish paperclips long.  That makes it about sixty strals across, and one hundred long!  So it's pretty huge - that is, if you count the bit to the north of the path through it, which I personally would.  So once you have measured it to see if I'm right with my paperclip measurements,  :b  you can then put in the description, or the location section how big it is, and then also how long that means it takes to ride or walk across it.  I use wikipedia to tell me how fast a horse or a person moves at different speeds, and say that one can walk or ride for up to eight hours on a normal travelling schedule...

On a similar note, I see on the map that the path kind of winds a bit through the woods - can you think of a reason for that?  Are there hills within the woods which the road goes around?  Is it all hilly? Is it flat but there's a small lake there which the road goes around (well, it wouldn't go through... :b)?  If there are hills, are there specific places that ambushes are more likely to occur, or do the bandits tend to steal people's things while they're sleeping?  If travellers post a watch, what do the bandits do about that?  What is the bandits usual method of stealing?  This sort of stuff about the bandits could go in the people section, I think.

Now that we have the fantastic map of the Duchies and Feifs of Manthria the location section can include this information.  If you don't know where to find it, it's on the Manthrian map; the duchies overlay button is the one on the right, up on the top left of the map border.  On that point, what does the Graven (person in charge of a fief) do about the bandits there?  Do they try to root them out?  Do they send guards with rich merchants?  To that point, who actually goes through the forest, and why?

Another important thing is paragraphs.  It makes it heaps easier to read if you use different paragraphs for different subjects.  For example, if you were to describe what it was like to approach the forest along the trail from the Northern River Road to the south of the forest, you'd then use a different paragraph to describe what it looked like from the north, or approaching from Nathembly, or to describe the different bits of the forest like the bits on each side of the road, the centre, the fringes, etcetera.

Well, I hope some of this has been helpful; I can see this being an awesome adventure to write!  Happy devving!

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2007, 00:04:37 »

shocked Now I see why your entries are always so long (and excellent of course ;)) grin

Thanks for the tips Grun!  worship worship

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2007, 05:11:49 »

Making progress here! Unfortunately my word processor crashed and the whole bandit part in People section is gone! Will finish it tomorrow with the Description section, complete Myth/Lore and the lost bandits in People section.

P.S! Sorry about the grammar! Will fix it in the final version!
« Last Edit: 08 March 2007, 05:34:14 by Arceon Barrurbeleth » Logged

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2007, 03:20:00 »

Finished!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2007, 05:25:10 »

I see you've done a nice and thorough job here as you promised, Arceon, so let's see what I can comment on the revised version:

- You could mention the forests approximate size, which you can judge somewhat from the Manthrian map - at the bottom right you see a scale of how much is approx. 100 strals (km). The whole forest is not everywhere that dense, but its outer reaches included nearly makes it indeed nearly 100 strals in size.

- Description could be split into sections perhaps (following the introductory paragraph), so that you can spot things better when scanning the entry:

• The Southern Woods and Stony Well
  • The Deep Forest (maybe add a special nickname for that part related to bandits?)
  • The Northern Wood and Rodlery's Rest

- You mentioned three different kinds of people in the first paragraph in the People section, yet you list four: traders, commoners, Black Butterfly Rovers or bandits.

- The People section could be split into similar section as well as mentioned in the Description part.

- I would mention it more clearly in the first paragraph of the People section that it's not the case that there are bandits everywhere in the Banditwoods. Actually if you pass through it you might not encounter anyone. I wouldn't want to give the impression that nobody can make it through the woods. Because you have to know that if that would be the case the king surely would have sent his orders and guards in there to get rid of the bandits. But it's not so easy to find bandits hiding in large forests, especially when their attacks happen in irregular intervals.

- You might mention that a bunch of hermits and greylers (see entry) also might live in these woods somewhere.

- You write that "[The Marauders] made their home in the Deepgorge Mine" - always would recommend to speak in possibilities ("it is said", "rumour has it") etc. Because if one could know for sure, they'd be exterminated by now :)

- You write "The Red Marauders and The Blue Rippers, each of these groups were the clothes in the colour of their name." Well, I would not make that too obvious, this could attract too much attention. If you rob someone you don't particularly want to tell everyone that it was your e.g. blue group doing it.

- You could mention a few official raids in the past with government sent troops to clear out the "scum" of the forest which led to quite a bit of bloodshed. (Edit: But I guess you did that partly in Myth/Lore anyway.)

- The poem isn't explained who wrote it or where it can be found. Maybe someone could have put it on his grave stone? It's also a bit "bumpy". For example "seer" doesn't rhyme that well with "fear" as far as I know. The last lines become longer, this is also not so ideal. Well, if it is written by one of his colleagues it doesn't necessaryil be from Santharia's most famous poet :) This place could also be described a bit and maybe you could mention that people think that spooky things happen there at night.

I'll try to adjust the poem a bit if that's ok with you and post a proposal.

In general this is a very enjoyable entry, Arceon, quite as I had it envisioned it to be - a nice unsecure place for travellers with interesting background stories here and there. Very well done! :D  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2007, 07:54:05 »

Please, try to adjust the poem!
I will fix the other things tomorrow!

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2007, 04:04:18 »

Newest update in Lime Green!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2007, 05:01:53 »

Sorry, that it took a while to get back here - let's see:

- The splitting of the section with captions is still not realized as I can see. It's not that complicated - just add captions above the paragraph about which part of the wood or about what kind of people you are talking in the following paragraph. See the example I gave.

- I like that Black Butterfly Rovers addition. This is a good example why these people are mistrusted by many as they seem to stand at the brink to the criminal life (as they deal with criminal people), but in fact are different. Nothing to generalize of course, but here this fits quite nicely!

- Great Cleaning: A date for that event would be nice to have :)

Okeydokey, very nice, Arceon - a great contribution in the Manthrian context. I'm happy to put that entry up:D  thumbup - I'll work a bit on the poem and try to post a proposal, stay tuned!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2007, 05:44:04 »

Ok, did that as well - look what you think of that major revision of the poem part, Arceon. Should have more pace and rhythm, and the message should perhaps come across even clearer. Well, at least I tried to, so check that proposal out:

The Death of Dragok Rodlery

A great bandit he was, tall and crude,
a loud bloke, strong, fierce and rude.
Dragok's fists hit quick and hard,
a blade he wore he called the "Shard".
From him man and woman ran in fear
a seer though warned: "Death is near!"
These words the bandit heard and roared,
he grabbed the man, then pulled his sword,
dead Seyella's servant kissed the ground.
At that same moment Dragok heard a sound,
a black feathered arrow trusted his vest
and he made a painful, final little jest.
He fell as the arrow pierced him through:
The old man's prophecy had thus come true.

Arceon Barrurbeleth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2007, 03:31:09 »

Thanks Artimidor, the poem is great!
I made the captions above the paragraphs, a date of birth for Dragok Rodlery and a date for battle of Nauthery.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2007, 04:04:42 »

Well, then let's mark it for integration methinks - very well done work, Arceon, great job! You've made quite different entries so far, and they are quite creative, and this is not exception. Hope we'll see more of that kind! :D  thumbup

Only thing I would suggest to change is the date of the Great Cleaning (244. a.S.-245. a.S.), which is more than a millenium in the past. And that's quite a bit. Would suggest to put it better in the Age of Discoveries (1144-1440) for example, after 1440, which is closer to today, before the Time of Havoc begins. But yeah, that's just a small detail - I guess that event would be better it it would be placed at a more recent date.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]