Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Water Location Spell  (Read 6880 times)
mearenay

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 18 March 2007, 20:31:35 »

It occured to me that this is one of the basic spells any Water Mage would need isnit it? Who's gonna use water from their own body to cast Call Lightning when there's a lake nearby they can use? Exactly.

Water Spells:  Water Location Level 4

Overview: Allows the mage to find water within his/her surroundings. The water can then be retrieved using the spell Water Extraction and used in another spell. It has been suggested that Water Mages travelling in the desert may use this technique to find underground springs and suchlike. Since this spell makes the caster aware of all the water ounia within range this spell can be used to track and locate living creatures, which are mainly water. However they will not show up as “brightly” as sources of pure water (lakes, streams etc). This spell is also pretty useless underwater, and tricky in heavy rain.

Casting Procedure: The mage closes his eyes and clears his mind. At this point lower level mages may need to wet their foreheads slightly using the some water. Generally the purer it is the better, but most mages learn not to have to rely on this reagent during the spell. Wet browed or not, the caster then continues. Thinking only of water he says the magical formula. At higher levels the formula can only be thought, and at levels 10 and 11 the mage only needs to think of water to find it.
After the formula has been said the mage will be able to sense the presence of water and its distance from his location (it should be mentioned that this is a precise art, and while the spell itself requires little concentration, judging the water’s position takes practice). The feeling is said to be similar to the Oh’mód’hál, although it seems to differ from mage to mage.

Magical Formula: (Still to be revised and open to suggestions) Már, ahmán (Styrásh: Water, answer)

Target: The area around the caster, see range

Reagents: Water, to wet the forehead (optional)

Magical School: Water School

Spell Class: undecided

Range: Depends on level

Level 4-6: Up to 30 peds away from caster
Level 7-9: Up to 1 ½ dashes away from caster
Level 10-11: Up to 3 dashes away from caster
Level 12: Unknown. Probably anything up to a Cael.

Please help with spell class, what sphere would this be? Also, I attempted a magical formula, but I'm happy to do an edit and remove it. Just giving an idea for y'all to toy with :). Again, comments and suggestions welcome.

"A child educated only at school is an uneducated child." – George Santayana

"People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either one being made."

"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research."

"Politics: Poly-Ticks: Poly means many, Ticks are bloodsucking insects."
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2007, 22:39:26 »

It seems that you have forgotten a few sections.  Double Check the Template.

As for your questions, Spell Class would be Elemental Magic, Water School, Physical Representation of Sphere Two and the Sphere would be, IMHO, two, despite its seemingly basic principles.
Falethas Whisperwind

Gained Aura: 8

Master of the Endless Winds

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2007, 00:03:58 »

This is my first attempt at proofreading a spell; I hope I don't royally screw it up...  :P

It has been suggested that Water Mages travelling in the desert may use this technique to find underground springs and suchlike.

''Suchlike'' isn't a word.  It would probably be better if you said ''...and such'' or ''...and the like'' instead.

Since this spell makes the caster aware of all the water ounia within range this spell can be used to track and locate living creatures, which are mainly water.

Since ounía aren't physical particles, I'm not positive that one can be made aware of them.  I invite more experienced magi to correct me on this if need be.
Also, ''all water ounía within range'' is a LOT of water ounía.  Unless I'm much mistaken, all cár'allía possess some ounía of all the elements, albeit in different balances.  I fear that the mage's head would explode violently, what with all of the ounía he detected.  (That was meant as a joke.)

However they will not show up as “brightly” as sources of pure water (lakes, streams etc).

I'm not sure that ''brightly'' is the best word here...

This spell is also pretty useless underwater, and tricky in heavy rain.

If a mage were underwater or in heavy rain, why would he even attempt the spell?  He could just use the water in which he was submerged or the rain itself for his purposes.

The feeling is said to be similar to the Oh’mód’hál, although it seems to differ from mage to mage.

I'm not positive that the veracity of the whole concept of the Óh'mód'hál has been thoroughly defined as of yet, so maybe it would be better to shy away from saying this at the moment.

Magical Formula: (Still to be revised and open to suggestions) Már, ahmán (Styrásh: Water, answer).

We don't currently have a defined system with which to create magickal formulae, so we usually just leave this section blank.

Level 12: Unknown. Probably anything up to a cael.

Even for a Chosen mage, this seems a little too far-fetched to me.  Detecting water from a distance half the length of the entire Disc?  Surely the mage's head would indeed explode.  pissedoff  Hehe, couldn't resist... 

Epthaeranté á sáh pheranía sáh alyría; ahmantát naithím sá sae'llán styaeyías.
"The rain whispers down through the trees; elvish music will rise in answer."
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2007, 07:05:56 »

I was just going to say something about that. It's the only thing I can say something about *grins*

Mearenay, do you maybe mean 'up to a stral'? It sounds more likely to go from 300 metres to a kilometre than from 300 metres to half the world...

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2007, 05:40:43 »

Since ounía aren't physical particles, I'm not positive that one can be made aware of them.  I invite more experienced magi to correct me on this if need be.

Yep, mages can't detect Ounia in any way. The whole car'all thing is in a way nothing more then a way to focus their mind for spell casting.

I'm not positive that the veracity of the whole concept of the Óh'mód'hál has been thoroughly defined as of yet, so maybe it would be better to shy away from saying this at the moment.

Óh'mód'hál isn't Ximaxian and I doubt any Ximaxian mages have ever had the ability.

Level 12: Unknown. Probably anything up to a Cael.

Better to leave level 12 out. It's not something a Ximaxian mage could ever achieve.
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2007, 23:54:08 »

However, I would think that mages can detect car'all, and be aware of it. (See Sense Aura and the like) The difference here is kinda like detecting individual pieces of something, and the actual something.

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2007, 05:32:38 »

I don't think it's a good idea to have magi able to detect car'all and stuff.  That would be proof that their theory is in fact not just a theory that works very well, but actual fact.  We're basically supposed to be 'agnostic' with regard to magic systems too. 

As for Sense Aura Aura Sight, it might be possible for it to work without having to have car'all actually be detectable or even exist.  I'll have to think about it though.  Wind deals with perception after all...I just wonder how much a person's perception can be altered.  Maybe I could revise it.  Not so soon though. 

Er, wait, I was thinking of Aura Sight rather than Sense Aura.  I'm not sure Sense Aura could actually work. 

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2007, 08:55:04 »

Well - it's a bit like the physics where we no longer can see stuff, you know. The mage is aware of something, certainly - manipulating something you are not and cannot be aware of, somehow, is not possible. This something that the mage is aware of he or she calls car'all. Whether or not that something is made up as the mages imagine and is something different from the physical object, is another matter, of course. How does that sound?

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2007, 13:05:17 »

That depends on how aware the magi are of it I suppose. 

IMO, you don't really need to be able to sense car'all to be able to cast spells.  You just need to be aware of the effects that are happening (which should be fairly obvious most of the time).  It's not like they figured out how to do magic because they were aware of car'all; they observed the effects, then theorised of the existence of car'all.  At least that's how I understand it. 

And then there's Aura Sight.  Supposing that sort of thing works, I say it'd convince a lot of magi that their theory is correct. 

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2007, 17:27:29 »

That Sense Aura thingy was considered outdated. You can work with things you can't see btw. You can make a model (most likely the first models would have been based on elven lore) and adapt that through trail and error. A good example would be atoms or even quantum physics. A lot has been achieved in those areas without being able to see what they were working with. It's one of those things that makes magic difficult

You can still try to 'see' in another way of course. You could create a spell that aligns a needle according to Water Ounia presence in a certain radius making a Water compass for example (bit of a crappy idea perhaps, but just to illustrate).
Baromosa

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2007, 20:57:06 »

Hmm, well I'm not over joyed with the spirit of not trying to prove one magic system over the other. It would make it more difficult to define the parameters of magic since it is studied much like a science.

But, its not my system. As for this spell in particular, its not throughly unreasonable but I don't think its nessecary. I do agree with Marvin in that you don't need to see it to work with it, but that brings me to my unless curiousity about magical formulas which though I haven't checked since i was last back I would think they are still on hold.

Nice idea to think of though, I did like it.

I walk through the fire seeking answers, only to find new mysteries in the ashes.
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2007, 21:27:50 »

Marv, Mina: Well, I did say "being aware", not "seeing". You can work something without seeing, but you still need some sort of awareness, one way or another. In the case of aura sight, it gives you an indirect awareness. Think microscopes, and further, think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_chamber. We can't see car'all, but we can "know there's something there". Of course, this is all IMHO. And, lastly, just because you can be aware of something somehow, it doesn't really prove much, so I don't see how e.g. aura sight proves anything.

"Oh, you can see this car'all you speak of? Show me, please."
"Oh, well, you have to do this and this and then you see these colors - now that is car'all."
"Oh, really?"

Ample ground for sceptics on any and all counts. Yes, you see something, but how do you know it's car'all and not side effects (Cloud chamber example), and how do you know it's not just your awareness colored by an effect? And further, you need to actualle be a mage to see this car'all...
« Last Edit: 02 April 2007, 21:29:51 by Silfer Darkflare » Logged

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2007, 23:38:20 »

"Oh, you can see this car'all you speak of? Show me, please."
"Oh, well, you have to do this and this and then you see these colors - now that is car'all."
"Oh, really?"
That's what more or less what I meant.  It'd convince a lot of people, but still isn't definite enough for there to be no skeptics. 

My opinion is basically that they think they 'know there's definitely something there', but others (those who disagree) think they're just imagining things. 

Regarding awareness though, I'm thinking it's more like you see something, and 'know' that it's made up of atoms and stuff, but you can't actually see those atoms (disregard for this example things like electron microscopes). 

Aura Sight would be the one thing that lets them 'see' car'all, but then as you point out it's not exactly a very direct sort of awareness. 

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2007, 06:36:27 »

Of course, the point related to this spell, for me, was that you can sense water, and I would say that you could do that by sensing the car'all. Whether that awareness is a tingling in your stomach or a tiny voice in your head, isn't very intresting, and probably highly individual.

Oh, and my dialogue example was meant as an example of a really unconvincing dialogue. Not sure if it worked... ;)

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2007, 06:40:01 »

The only problem with your explanation Silfer is that, like Mina states in his Shielding Winds an object's car'all is one with its surroundings, which I would assume, would make it nearly impossible to simply "hone" onto a deposit of water.  Instead, unless we adopt Coren's ounia theory, you would have to sense water ounia for this spell to work as you are looking for a concentration, not to manipulate it.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]