Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Faugar's Rhom-Oc Orc & Warg (first sketch)  (Read 14475 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 27 March 2007, 03:02:29 »

Faugar has finally made a first sketch of the Rhom-Oc orc Koldar and he have been discussing during Santhmoot II last year. - Wooohooo! As you can see it also prominently features a warg of quite enormous proportions... This picture - once finished - will complete the illustrations of our Northern Sarvonian orc tribes, we'll then have all 5 main tribes illustrated!

So here's the sketch for now:

(click on image to enlarge)

Quote from Faugar's mail:

"I know I haven't really read the description in a while, so it's quite possible the warg  looks much different or the proportions are wrong, but I just wanted to get a general feeling for the pic down first. It's still in experimental stage/possibly will remain a sketch, I'm not sure yet, though I'd like to make this idea a real illustration some day."

I will point Koldar to this thread, so that he can take a look as well and comment...

Personally I think the picture looks really cool an uminous as it is quite intimidating the way how this really massive warg climbs over this tree trunk! In the entry it is described that there are wargs that can be 2 peds in size, so this would perhaps be too large - reducing the size a bit might be an option, also in regards to see a bit more of the orc on top, as this picture should mainly serve as tribe illustration, so some detail should go into the orc itself. But the concept is really fascinating - and so far well executed in my point of view!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2007, 20:04:48 »

Nice sketch!
I generally like the concept, what I'm wondering are the two things Art pointed out, that the size relation might be a bit too drastic given that Wargs should be just big enough to be ridden comfortably by the comparatively small Rhom-Oc and that I'd see if one could place one of the Rhom-Oc more into the foreground maybe investigating a trail (maybe even some stains of blood when following a wounded animal) in front of the tree trunk. The guy in the back would be rather small in the overall picture.

I'd suggest to maybe expand the canvas more to the right and top, at the moment it looks a bit squeezed together.

Concerning the Warg: I imagined those beasts leaner more wolflike, at the moment I find it more a cross between a bear and a really mean dog. Maybe its shoulder and foreleg muscles are a bit over the top and a sleeker neck?

The snout is a bit getting used to (though that's mainly because I always imagined Wargs more with wolflike snouts so we might keep it as its ownly personal predjudice)

Nice work!

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2007, 20:17:58 »

The snouts are actually more rat-like IIRC *goes off to find the entry*

Wargs are similar to typical wolves in appearance, the main exception being in their size and snout area. The largest and most well known Warg was Vackra the Black. She stood at 2 peds in height and 3 peds in length. The beast was eventually slain by a man of the barbarian Seigen tribe of the Mynian plains in Northern Sarvonia. Most Wargs however are an average 1.3 peds in height and 2 peds in length counting their bristling tail. Compared to a typical wolf a Warg's snout looks a little odd on its face, as it seems too big for the rest of the head. It is filled with large razor sharp teeth. At the end of the snout a pointed nose is placed - similar to rats - which gives this beast an incredible sense of smell. Wargs are covered with medium length coarse black and gray hair. Furthermore they have black-flecked yellow eyes that show a feral intelligence. In general females are a little larger then the males, and tend to be more vicious if that is possible. Their coloring also tends to lean more towards darker gray and mostly black.

As comparison, Rhom-Oc are about 1.5 peds in hight.

Edit:
In the entry it is described that there are wargs that can be 2 peds in size

The Rhom-Oc would be riding the regular wargs I think and the 2 peds would be more for the Losh-Oc warwargs (who are bigger).
« Last Edit: 27 March 2007, 20:23:02 by Marvin Cerambit » Logged
colossuem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2007, 21:37:12 »

A phenomenal picture but I do agree it does look a bit out of proportion. But if you make the warg smaller the rider on top might need to be redone because of his position. But good work! grin thumbup

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2007, 22:19:22 »

I find the composition amazing - something so threatening about that draped paw and bulging muscle, in conjunction with the dark hollow of the huge fallen log...   With the low perspective one almost has a feeling of being a small, hunted thing hoping to scurry for the 'safety' of that hollow, or crouching in shelter to avoid the Warg's notice.   A small addition of some branches across the top and edges of the picture (perhaps top left to keep the motion and line) would really reinforce that sense of anxiety in the viewer!

Such subtlety is far more effective than showing it with foam-flecked jaws ravening directly out of the picture; but of course I expect such restraint from our master limner.       I await the first coloured version of this with anticipation...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Lady Cherri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2007, 23:33:43 »

Is there a saddle type of contraption that Warg's wear to help their riders stay in place while say running and jumping or do they just ride bareback?  Just a question for my own benefit.
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2007, 04:45:58 »

You guys are definitely right about the proportions of the animal-orc, I need to change a lot. I was thinking of putting a small wild swine-esque animal inside the tree trunk (right lower corner), and will of course enlarge the orcs and change the warg to appear more like a warg :)
Judith - thank you, it's important to get the mood right, and that's all I've tried to capture so far, plus the composition, but that needs revising to make the orcs more prominent.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2007, 04:50:23 »

"Small wild swine-esque animal inside the tree trunk"? - Hiding from the big warg, eh? *hehe* That sounds funny...  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2007, 06:36:09 »

Nice pic. The proportions are a little of but they don't look to bad an orc bent over like that would probably look about 3/4 of its height and a warg on a log would probably appear anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 times its height  .

Would work well for pic of Vackra the Black. 
colossuem

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2007, 21:01:51 »

Although this suggestion might sound drastic i think instead of some type of swine cowering in the log a human may be more dramatic. I would picture him in a position just like the people that were hiding behind the door when the Nazgul came in the prancing pony in LOTR. Anyways if you don't like it thats completely ok. grin Good Luck grin

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2007, 21:43:42 »

The problem with having a human in the log is that it detracts from the main focus of the picture - the power of the warg and the character of the orc rider.  Instead of an artistic 'snapshot' of a moment in time - a record of that power and character - it becomes a story.  While it would doubtless be a dramatic story (or amusing, depending on your racial perspective!) it would change the picture's purpose drastically.... but I guess it was too irresistable a suggestion to pass up, eh? :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2007, 22:49:42 »

Another note: Thinking about the Rhom-Oc's territory I believe the main thing you'd see there would be Tundra like waste- and grasslands where large herds of reindeer like creatures and similar roam (maybe some bigger species like mammoth, maybe something more unique, would als give them more reason to use wargs to help with hunting )
I'm thus not quite certain if a forest (guessing the background is indicating one) would quite work. On the other hand we already have the Osther-oc portrait in a white wasteland though, well, that's what it looks like the further north you get...

Keep the tree trunk but maybe some more desolate background with only heath and bushes?
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2007, 23:31:11 »

There could always be a few patches of forest scattered through the Heat or some larger forests at its borders. Probably all conifers though.
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2007, 06:45:06 »

actually as the warg is your vision of it, i have no criticism of it, i'm more concerned with the person riding on it. if its back was really that broad then i would think the leg splayed riding position would give the rider some massive cramps. so you might look into the riding postures of indian folk on elephants with one leg crossed at the top?

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2007, 04:01:02 »

It's possible though. Here in Belgium we have a town called Dendermonde, and every four years a wooden horse called Ros Beiaard, with a pretty broad back, rides through the city (it has to do with a local legend). On the horse, there are four brothers. They are sitting with their legs splayed. They are trained for that for a very long time. So it is possible, with the right training :)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 89
Total: 89

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!