Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Colossal Weight, Earth School, Level 3  (Read 5217 times)
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« on: 03 April 2007, 08:54:02 »

Made some minor adjustments, in plum.  - Mina

Mina’s comments = red

Colossal Weight, Earth School, Level 3,

Overview:

Colossal Weight is used by magi to physically weaken a target by burdening their muscles with the weight of a mountain.  This feat, accomplished by amplifying the  influences of the element Earth in the target, is one of the Brown Tower’s most commonly used techniques used for body building and exercising among the Archmage’s guard. 

Spell Effect:

The momentous effects of Colossal Weight are caused by the application of basic procedures of Sphere One.  This is accomplished by manipulating the car’all of the target to more heavily display properties of Earth. 

Almost immediately after the casting is complete, the target will feel their muscles strain under the invisible weight dragging every muscle of their body.  Upon further manipulation of the car’all, the caster can buffer his target against this burden to some degree, controlling the extent at which the magic strains the muscles, making it optimal for physical training.  However, such training much be carefully monitored as excessive use can cause death.  By casting Colossal Weight, one loads the muscles with more weight than they were meant to hold at a given time. Thus, extreme uses, such as heavy weight or long durations, create a high probability for the body to “shut down.”  While this lack of consciousness would not be fatal in a normal situation, the fact that the spell targets all the muscles can cause vital organs, such as the heart and lungs to stop functioning.

For some, the feeling as the weight is released is the sole reason for casting the spell.  This feeling, described by some as the ultimate ecstasy, relieves the muscles of the added burden, making them feel exceptionally light and enabling the former target to function beyond his natural abilities for a short period of time.

Casting Procedure:

Seeing as Colossal Weight has a very basic procedure, it is a relatively easy spell to cast for most magi.   First, the mage must enter the state of concentration required for all spells.  After this has been achieved, they must simply reach out to the target’s car’all and stimulate a change between the ounia of the car'all realign it more towards Earth.  However, unlike with most low level spells, the casting does not end at this point.  Even after the affect has been achieved, the mage must actively adjust the re-arranged car'all strength of the effect until an optimal weight, which is different for each individual, is achieved. 

Magical Formula:

To be defined

Target:

The target of this spell can be any living being, though it works less favorably upon creatures such as insects or plants.  Initially, the mage will only be able to affect smaller beings, but as their strength and proficiency with the spell grows, they will be able to target larger creatures and even pinpoint specific locations to target.

Reagents:

Stone and gems are the most common reagents used for this spell, though other substances, such as metal also suffice.  But, because of its easy principles, it does not take most magi long to out-grow the reagent phase of learning. 

Magical School:

Earth School, Level III

Spell Class:

Physical Representation of Sphere I

Range:

It is not unlikely that at high levels, a mage would be able to cast the spell from considerable distances.  However, for most new to the spell, the magi must be within one ped of their target at all times.

Casting Time:

The amount of time required to alter the car’all of the target is quite short, regardless of level.  Seeing as the spell employs a single basic principle, once the mage reaches level four, he can cast it nearly instantaneously.

Duration:

As the spell is Sphere I, its effects last only as long as the caster maintains the spell.

Counter/ Enhancing Measures:

Seeing as the Spell is so basic, and so dangerous, few find need to enhance its affects.  Some insist that non-reagent components, such as soothing music and appealing scents assist in casting, but this theory has yet to be proven. 

In addition to the standard practice of causing a spell fizzle through induced pain or death, very few other counter measures exist to reverse this spell.  Seeing as it is rarely used for malevolent purposes, most feel that there would be no need to counter its affects as they can simply be lifted by the mage.  However, if one should feel a need to reverse the effects instantaneously, it is possible for another Earth or Xeua mage to realign the car’all to its original state.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2007, 16:18:38 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2007, 08:58:57 »

Increasing weight of the target - sure, why not? Insofar I recall, weight (heavyness) is a property of earth.

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2007, 09:17:21 »

This brings me to my second question.  While this is probably more of a discussion topic than simply a question, can the principles of Ahm and Soor be used to explain why only specific properties are shown when the mage is casting a spell that increases the influence of a certain element?
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2007, 09:27:54 »

In so far as I know and believe, we do not simply increase the influence of an element, we augment a specific property. So you increase the expression of a certain property of Earth, say Weight, if there is such a one. Go hither, Coren's post from ages past. You CAN increase the influence of the element generally, which will augment all properties proportionally, if you want.

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2007, 09:32:24 »

Ok.  That basically still seems to use the principles of Ahm and Soor to keep some traits passive while others are active, just in different terms.  I touch upon the idea briefly in the spell and just wanted to make sure I got the facts right.  I also took the liberty to assume that general increase (bringing forth all the properties) is much more basic than selecting a single one.
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2007, 09:38:59 »

Yes, it would be a matter of perspective, I guess (Ahm & Soor vs. just saying "augment a property"). And I would agree that just increasing the element's influence is more basic - however, that would not bring forth all properties, it would increase them proportionally. Basically, a heavy but loose (not solid) object that had Earth increased would get heavier, but not much more solid, because the property remains squished. (If I formulated that coherently)

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2007, 09:47:28 »

I'm not sure about that.  By increasing the general element, while it may still be equally as loose in comparison to the weight, in comparison between the end product and the starting object, logic dictates that it would have to be more solid.
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2007, 06:13:02 »

It would - but the solidity gain would be rather small compared to e.g. the weight gain. The increase distributes itself proportionally across the properties. The only case where the solidity gain would be zero would be if solidity was zero to begin with, which isn't practically possible. I think we agree.

Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2007, 07:08:50 »

Yup.  Now that that is settled, I just need to hope that I got all the details right. 
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2007, 12:47:22 »

I assume this is the spell you were talking about in the shoutbox, though it is incomplete.   :P

Regarding Ahm and Soor, that has to do with the strength of the xeua links, which affects how strongly properties are being expressed.  All the properties being expressed by an oun will be expressed at the same strength, but the amount of influence the property has over the car'all as a whole depends on what proportion of the ounia is expressing that property. 

How it is determined which properties an oun expresses is not something I know at the moment.  Lets just say for now it's something really basic that all magi should know how to do by around say, level 2 or so, regardless of whether they've learnt the actual theory or not. 

colossuem

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2007, 21:52:07 »

Is this spell gonna put weight just where the caster wants it or all over, like water pressure? huh

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 April 2007, 00:36:48 »

*smacks head* I could have sworn I posted it.

I'll take out the Ahm/Soor stuff as it really isn't necessary, it was just something I put up as if fit nicely into what I was trying to describe.
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2007, 23:39:31 »

Ah, you've added the rest of the entry.  I'll take a look. 

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2007, 01:03:23 »

Colossal Weight, Earth School, Level 3,

Overview:

Colossal Weight is used by magi to physically weaken a target by burdening their muscles with the weight of a mountain.  This feat, accomplished by amplifying the properties of the element Earth in the target, is one of the Brown Tower’s most commonly used disciplinary techniques because of its harmless nature Uh, okay, this sounds slightly disturbing to me.  And is it even 'in character' for the magi in the Earth Tower?  , though a less severe version is also frequently used for body building and exercising among the Archmagi’s Archmage, 'magi' is plural.  Unless you meant to say it's used by magi of other elements too, which could happen I suppose.  guard. 

Spell Description Effect:

The momentous effects of Colossal Weight are caused by basic procedures of Sphere One principles.  This application is accomplished by manipulating the car’all of the target to more heavily display properties of Earth.  However, unlike the bare basics Elemental Earth car’all manipulation, the caster is required to manipulate the energy links of the object in such a way that only the property of weight is apparent.  First, it's xeua links, not energy links.  Also, I'd rather you leave out this part, because frankly I'm not sure how exactly the property is selected, and it might not even have anything to do with xeua at all.  To accomplish this, the mage must shape the car’all beyond standard re-alignment to allow a single property to be displayed more heavily, while the rest remain passive.  What do you mean by 'shape the car'all'? 

Almost immediately after the casting is complete, the target will feel their muscles strain under the invisible pressure pushing on every surface of their body.  Pressure?  I thought this spell was supposed to affect weight.  That shouldn't have anything to do with pressure.  Upon further probing of the car’all What does this mean?  , the caster can buffer his target against this burden to some degree, controlling the extent at which the magic strains the muscles, making it optimal for physical training.  However, such training much be carefully monitored as excessive use can cause eventual death.  By casting Colossal Weight, one loads the muscles with more weight than they were structured Uh...'structured' doesn't sound quite right here.  A simple 'meant' would do if you can't find a better word.  to hold at a given time. Thus, extreme uses, such as high weight Um...'high weight' sounds odd to me too.  or long durations, create a high probability for the body to “shut down.”  While this lack of consciousness would not be fatal in a normal situation, the fact that the spell targets all the muscles can cause vital organs, such as the heart and lungs to stop functioning.

For some, the feeling as the weight is released is the sole reason for casting the spell.  This feeling, described by some as the ultimate ecstasy, relieves the muscles of the added burden, making them feel exceptionally light and enabling the former target to function beyond his natural abilities for a short period of time.  I like this part.   :)

Casting Procedure:

Seeing as Colossal Weight is a relatively easy spell to cast for most magi, its procedure is very basic.  Switching the order of the two clauses would probably make things better.  Right now it sounds like it has a basic procedure because it is easy for most magi to cast, which doesn't really make sense.  First, the mage must enter the state of concentration required for all spells.  After this has been achieved, they must simply reach out to the target’s car’all and stimulate a change between the bonds.  Ounia, really.  And maybe xeua links, but even then they shouldn't be called bonds.  This isn't chemistry.   :P  However, unlike with most low level spells, the casting does not end at this point.  Even after the affect has been achieved, the mage must actively adjust the pressure until an optimal weight I still don't get the pressure part.  Isn't this spell supposed to simply increase weight?  What does pressure have to do with it at all?  , which is different for each individual (need a comma here) is achieved.  Unlike most Sphere One affects effects, however, because of Earth’s immobility, when the casting is released, the car’all does not immediately shift back to its original state, but instead slowly flows back to its starting formation.  I don't quite agree.  Sphere 1 basically increases the influence of an element by increasing the strength of xeua links between ounia of that element.  (Don't confuse this with what I said above, which has to do with selecting which properties an oun expresses).  I'm not sure, but I don't think that there is really any difference between a xeua link between two Earth ounia and a xeua link between two ounia of one of the other elements. 

Magical Procedure Formula:

To be defined

Target:

The target of this spell can be any living being, though it works less favorably upon creatures such as insects or plants.  Initially, the mage will only be able to affect smaller beings, but as their strength and proficiency with the spell grows, they will be able to target larger creatures and even pinpoint specific locations to target.

Reagents:

Stones and gems are the most common reagents used for this spell, though other substances, such as dirt, metal or minerals also suffice.  However, because of its easy principles, it does not take most magi long to out-grow the reagent phase of learning.  Stones I understand.  It's harder to see what the others have to do with weight though. 

Magical School:

Earth School, Level III

Spell Class:

Physical Representation of Sphere I

Range:

It is not unlikely that at high levels, a mage would be able to cast the spell from considerable distances.  However, for most new to the spell, the magi must be within one ped of their target at all times.

Casting Time:

The amount of time required to alter the car’all of the target is quite short, regardless of level.  Seeing as the spell employs many basic principles, once the mage reaches level four, he can cast it nearly instantaneously.

Duration:

Despite the fact it is a Sphere I spell, its connection with the element of Earth assists in dragging out its affects.  Unlike most spells of the Sphere, which simply end once casting is complete, immovable Earth is much more sluggish in returning to its original state having been moved.  See above. 

Counter/ Enhancing Measures:

Seeing as the Spell is so basic, and so dangerous in potent quantities 'Potent quantities' is an odd phrase to use here.  I guess you meant to say that excessive use is dangerous?  , few find need to enhance its affects.  Some insist that non-reagent components, such as soothing music and appealing scents assist in casting, but this theory has yet to be proven.  Ah, you managed to integrate Bard Judith's ideas.   thumbup  I have my own plans, but this is fine for now.    It is speculated that these two aids do assist in focusing.  This sentence seems to just repeat what was said above. 

In addition to the standard practice of causing a spell fizzle through induced pain or death, very few other counter measures exist to reverse this spell.  Seeing as it is rarely used for malevolent purposes, most feel that there would be no need to counter its affects as they can simply be lifted by the mage.  However, if one should feel a need to reverse the effects instantaneously, it is possible for another Earth or Xeua mage to realign the car’all to its original state.   

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2007, 00:48:40 »

accomplished by amplifying the properties of the element Earth in the target
Amplifying influence would be more accurate. 

one of the Brown Tower’s most commonly used disciplinary techniques because of its harmless nature
It doesn't sound too harmless based on what you mention later in the entry, and I'm not sure this is suitable anyway.  Maybe you should check with Bard Judith to make sure it's in character for the Zirghurim.  IMO it sounds a little sadistic though. 

The momentous effects of Colossal Weight are caused by basic procedures of Sphere One principles. 

Okay, I missed this one during the previous check.  "Caused by procedures" does not really make sense. 

the caster is required to manipulate the xeua links of the object in such a way that only the property of weight is apparent.

We're not really sure if links have anything to do with how properties are selected, though it's possible, so it's best to just be vague and leave out the part about links for now.

stimulate a change between the links
actively adjust the links

While not technically wrong, I think especially for low level spells like this one, it is preferable to keep the description more focused on ounia then xeua.  It'll probably make things less confusing, as elemental magic is centered on ounia. 

However, because of its easy principles, it does not take most magi long to out-grow the reagent phase of learning. 

Well, yes, the principles it's based on are quite basic relatively easy to understand, but that phrase sounds odd. 

as the spell employs many basic principles
Another one I missed.  Isn't it based on just one principle?  Or perhaps you mean something different from what I'm thinking. 

and so dangerous in potent quantities
Why is 'potent quantities' still here? 

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]