Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sea Transportation  (Read 4229 times)
Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Yeah...No

View Profile
« on: 16 April 2007, 03:09:03 »

I think this is the right section...

I was thinking that I could write an entry that summarizes all the different forms of boats, ships, rafts, and other seaworthy things that are found in Santharia. I looked this up and I couldn't find it, so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done. I would run some searches and find all the currently used boats (including the ones used by only specific races and tribes). Then I would type short descriptions of each of the types as well as some general terran transport types, though of course, nothing modern. This would summarize average speed, description, size, and the like.  I would of course mention what santharian use the terran ones have. What does everybody think?

This might qualify as a team project, I dunno how big it will be yet, so if someone really feels like helping...

Drúadan
« Last Edit: 16 April 2007, 03:10:43 by Drúadan » Logged

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2007, 14:24:51 »

i tried to do something like that last winter Druadan with all the entries of Nybelmar, but basically a project like that would intersect with many developers and regions. so i'm guessing they would say it is better if you just choose one type of boat in one region to try to make an entry about it. especially since much of the known lands that are on the map still are not devleoped, your "summary" would limit future developers.

as far as my Nybelmar database i left it at abut 750 entries, i learned alot but really, who needs a database when we have the compedium??

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2007, 16:51:17 »

Druadan - we could certainly use one or more 'ship' / boat entries.    In fact, a general entry on the Merchant Caravel (or The Merchant Cog, or The Trading Clipper, or something similar) would be really useful because while we have trade occurring and shipping routes being laid out, we don't have any vessels defined to transport the trade goods!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Takór Salenár
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2007, 17:14:44 »

Judy is beating me today! I just wanted to say, that an entry on Sarvonian or Santharia boats would be great. Just call me as soon as you start. I have some ideas about the Stratanian ships and those Varcopas uses, but no interest in writing them up, not even a short summary.
Have you found already the storm cloaks guild?
http://www.santharia.com/people/stormcloaks.htm
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2007, 19:50:58 »

That's because I'm cheating and posting in between my classes, Takor!   :)

Dru, I guess you won't be bored if you have some Stratanian ships to work on, hmmm?  Bellring me if you do need short summaries or ideas....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2007, 23:06:38 »

Cool, I'll do some entries on those ships as well as some of the Terran ships like the caravel. I actually did some research on a couple ships, I came up with this set. In descending order from size:

Rowboat
Keelboat
Longship
Knaar- (Norse Merchanting Ship)
Sailing Ship (Or Caravel)
Warship
Galley

These are all Terran ships and I haven't looked into Santharian ones much yet, but my school closed cause of the bad weather so I should get a lot done today. I found most of these in a D & D guide actually, but I did more research and I have a long, very time consuming list of measurements and speeds, converted to santharian units. I chnaged some of the figures from D&D because a) they seemed inaccurate with the other ones I say and b) copyright puposes. I should be able to get an overview up this afternoon. I'm beggining to generate a lot of possible entries with this. I could make a general Boats overview, then do a Shipyard place entry, run an entry about the developer of some of these ships, a whole bunch of possible entries to generate from this....

Notes: I need help with the ships above, cause I want to create new names for them, and I keep getting stuck. Any ideas?

Takór Salenár
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2007, 23:19:47 »

Druáden - better start out with Santharia first, collect what we have  and ask the seafaring nations developer what they would like to have (Curgan- Milkengrad, Art-avennorians, me- Strata, and Varcopas, Artemis-Aeruillin, me for stormcloaks, but that will take a while)
Sntries like nepris have ships mentioned.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2007, 00:05:26 »

(hint hint)  "Merchant Cog"...  (looks hopeful)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2007, 03:45:14 »

Note that there is already an entry on Avennorian Ships (under Gear and Tools in the Misc. section). Could perhaps be updated in the process. An old entry that is not much according to the new scheme is the Ducraer entry. This would also be an opportunity to add some details and proper sections. My contribution in this regard is a ghostship, but yeah, I guess that's not particularly what we're looking for here :)

At any rate - yeah, surely a nice idea - make sure to somehow allocate ships to specific tribes, so that things get historically rooted somehow.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 03:46:46 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2007, 06:32:26 »

Hmmm, thats a lot of ideas everybody!

Okay, first things first is deffinitely the Merchant Cog. It is a standard ship, doesn't require too much new research, and I agree with Judith, it is probably the most important as with no Cog we have no trade. :P Which format should that follow? I'm thinking just adding description, usage and history, but anything else?

Okay, after that I will rewrite the Ducraer entry. I will update the Avennorian ships entry at the end, so I don't have to keep updating it as I go along with this scheme.

I will then begin working on some more in depth entries regarding all the different cities, tribes, and areas as I go along. If anyone, namely the experts on those areas listed by Takór, has any ideas on how the new ships I want to add should be distributed, just post in here or PM me, wither or. If I have questions, I'll ask in here probably.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

PS: Mirmec, I just saw your post. Although I praise you for trying such a huge project, mine isn't anywhere close to that big. You are talking about EVERY Nybelmar entry, I'm jsut talking about ships. I'd say there is a minimal difference in size between writing a guide to ships and an encyclopedia to Nybelmar. grin And as for it limiting other developers, thats why we can rewrite or update entries right?

« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 06:35:45 by Drúadan » Logged

Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2007, 14:32:09 »

ships should be closely tied to region and culture. The cogs were rarely used to my know outside the Northern Sea lanes (though similar ships existed elsewhere) and there was a distinct preference of square sails in Northern Europe compared to Lateen sails in the Mediterran.

And alot about ships and how they were built depended on the culture/country that used them and there were many ways to build ships. I mainly suggest to avoid general entries about it that are not grounded in certain cultural regions.
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2010, 05:10:59 »

I am resurrecting this thread for one purpose only:

To see if anybody is interested in developing some more ships.  We are woefully lacking in the ships department.  If you are interested read through this thread to get an idea of a ship you might like to develop. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2010, 05:23:18 »

Remusians need:

Taugs (rowboat type fishing boats)
cog type ships for fishing, whaling and converted for their warships
The Griffyn (Remusian trade ship based on a Strormcloak merchant ship that is frozen completely in the Ice Shelf)

Antislar need:
need fishing vessels
need a land ship that acts on the principles on sea travel, but is built like those icesailing boats
needs a York boat type vessel for the fur traders to go from Antis to Lofty Lake

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2010, 05:37:01 »

I know the Blessed Sea Elves have some kind of boats ... I'll have to re-read the entry to regain the ideas I had previously.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2010, 06:07:24 »

Throw them my way. I've been doing some looking into boats, well ships. Sea-faring type things, be they turtle, fish or floating fire-hazard.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]