Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Fever Reducers and Purifiers  (Read 6781 times)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2007, 04:21:44 »

I'm not sure about "Sterilizer" or "Preservative", but the others are good.   Perhaps "cleanser", since much of sterilizing (from a medieval standpoint would have to do with cleaning.  They'd know how to sterilize things by boiling them (clothes, instruments) as well, I guess.

What about a Detoxiner (detoxifying agent) as a name for a anti-infection preparation--it removes the poisonous humours, or toxins, from the body?  Or is that too modern-sounding?

As for Preservative--well, it just sounds too much like a modern-day food additive.   Are you talking about something which makes medicine less likely to go bad? I'm a bit uncertain here.

Great work, Kelancey!  This entry is quite impressive already. clap

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2007, 04:39:45 »

@Alysse: Thanks!  I'm between "anti-miasmals" and "detoxifying agents".

I like the sound of "anti-miasmal", but I'll confess, I didn't know what a "miasm" was till I looked it up on www.dictionary.com.  So, I'm kinda leaning toward "detoxifying agents"...then again, in the real medieval world, illness was often viewed as God's punishment for sin, so "purifiers" might sound better that way.  Okay if I change the name of this post to "Fever Reducers and Purifiers"?

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2007, 10:04:01 »

Purifiers works for me.  Maybe you can add a bit of lore as to how this or that plant might be sacred to or blessed by Nehtor (the god of healing), and this is thought to be why it actually works... like the Baveras' Gift flower

Alysse
« Last Edit: 10 May 2007, 10:06:35 by Alysse the Likely » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2007, 01:18:30 »

Hmm, yeah, that's an excellent point, Alysse.  I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!

--Master Yoda
Takór Salenár
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2007, 06:40:39 »

"in the real medieval world, illness was often viewed as God's punishment for sin, so "purifiers" might sound better that way"

That's true, though this shouldnt have been the case, for this was an old Jewish interpretation , but this relation was  denied by the (early) Christians. I would lprefer if you would avoid this relation (illness=punishment) for Santharia, it would fit better to the Aeoliran religion.
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2007, 05:17:23 »

@Takor:  I agree with you about avoiding any association of illness with punishment for sin in Santharia.  Added to my personal convictions on the subject (I don't think anyone deserves to get ill), that's one philosophical argument I'd really like to dodge!

--Master Yoda
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2007, 07:29:34 »

In the real world, I can understand your misgivings about getting into that touchy a philasophical (sp) and spiritual arguement, but wouldn't it be a very interesting can of worms to open in Santharian religion?  It could open many sub-plots to many a story if the temples were to suddenly have to deal with dissention among its ranks, regardless of what side of the aisle you sit on in real life.

Just my little skewed view

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2007, 15:42:47 »

I think the approach to strictly ban "illness being viewed as God's punishment for sin" in Santharia is too one-dimensional. I guess such belief is deeply anchored practically everywhere in human superstition today and in the past, whether it is doctrine or not - if something terrible happens that one can interpret as fate, especially lower rank people will always have that in mind methinks. So I wouldn't make it the determinating factor mayhaps, but wouldn't entirely exclude it. For example there could be certain kinds of healers, who are despised by others, who support such a view. Make it interesting, make it realistic - people have different points of views, why not let that be part of Santharian society?
« Last Edit: 12 May 2007, 19:34:23 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2007, 16:08:50 »

exactly...with consequences being a type of excommmunication perhaps?  or more extreme, a type of inquisition of sorts

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Takór Salenár
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2007, 21:39:19 »

I wouldn't call such a belief "one-dimesional", at least it is what is essential in the Jewish belief, was common i think in Greek and Roman mythology (didn't check that), but is not original Christian tradition. Don't mix it up with the punishment in the purgatory! (not original christian either)

This "can of worms" would fit much better for Aeruillin and how the people there see their relation to the gods.

quote Art:"I guess such belief is deeply anchored practically everywhere in human superstition today and in the past, whether it is doctrine or not - if something terrible happens that one can interpret as fate, especially lower rank people will always have that in mind methinks."

I don't know, if this is the case, we would need somebody with psychological background here. I think it is to a great part how you were raised, if you believe this or not. If it is common belief, that the gods are not interested in punishment, but either disinterested or benevolent, then the idea doesn#t come up. You may well cry about your fate and ask WWhy did the gods allow this??", but that is not necessarily linked to the thought that gods punish for sins . I don't think either, that much sects would spring up. Some, for if Aeruillin believes this, the idea is present in santharia as well, but not mainstream.

I would avoid to touch this here, this is a major decision we shouldnot introduce with a herbal book.

No more time left for more comments.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2007, 22:00:11 »

Bearing that all in mind, I think 'purifiers' is perfectly acceptable vocabulary and does not need to have a 'spiritual' connotation.

Great work as always, Kelancy!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2007, 04:18:27 »

Okeydokey, I mark this now for integration... If you can add the few things you still have marked as "to be added soon", Kelancy, then these will make it as well into the next update. Otherwise I take as much as we got already, which is already quite a bit :) - At any rate in the next update it will be in! - Great job, Kelancy! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2007, 08:51:25 »

Um, I think I'm ready for a look-through.  Thanks again, Alysse, for the suggestion of the Lore of Usage section!

--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2007, 22:34:02 »

One finishing touch: In the Redberry bush entry, where it says Ormelin is a "panacea"--is panacea acceptable in Santharia?  Some alternative words I dug up to suggest in its place might be:
  • Catholicon
  • Multi-purpose restorative
  • Elixir vitae

Another point for revision: I completely forgot Judith's theriac entry!  I don't know all the ingredients, and, complicated as it is, I'm not sure what the lore of usage would read for this "magical" cure-all.  Should theriac go into this topic?

--Master Yoda
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2007, 04:29:15 »

Well, that's now quite a presentable list, Kelancy! :) I think the Lore part especially adds another very important aspect to the short overviews, as it provides another perspective that has been missing as of yet. Very enjoyable to read through.

I don't have any quibbles regarding the text - it is well researched and written with care to keep the medieval spirit. Helpful would be a few lines on the beginning of the entry dealing with the topic in question. In this case some explanations of Fever Reducers and Purifiers would be in order.

The design we could do for now similar to the Weapons Overview perhaps, where we can add in small picture of the plants as well where we have them. Right now we only have a picture of the redberry bush and the tareptail as far as I can see for this entry, but then we are prepared for the future at any rate :)

"Panacea" - didn't even know that word existed, but my dictionary explains this simpley with "cure-all", so we might use that term perhaps.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)