Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - The Lorehold Project  (Read 154891 times)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 02 August 2008, 02:45:41 »

Cheers, Arti. Like I say, it may be a while, but I'll have a go at it.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #271 on: 02 August 2008, 03:35:24 »

Ok, Irid, your dialogue is now also integrated. Remember, that you first have to talk to Mira in the greenhose (strange concept, huh?) greenhouse and if you accept the Rookie quest and return to the fountain you'll see Irid sitting there.

The quest is not completed, but Irid already gives the decisive hint. In that willow area some thing will change once Mira provides the next part of his greenhouse/quests additions. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 09 August 2008, 09:44:11 »

Alright... is the main Compendium library here, or do we do most of our work in New-Santhala? And if it is the 2nd, why so many devs in the Lorehold?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #273 on: 09 August 2008, 11:05:41 »

The main Compendium is in New Santhala - I think the 'conceit' or 'backstory' of the Santhworld is that there is a Moot: conference - gathering - series of lectures - party - whathaveyou at Lorehold and many consequential people have shown up for it.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 09 August 2008, 11:27:42 »

Ah. So I would not have any kind of study in Lorehaven, I suppose.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #275 on: 09 August 2008, 15:40:57 »

Well, the Lorehold could be a regular "outpost" for Compendium writers. Mira has his greenhouse there for example, so it appears as if he's permanently here - and you could have Nsiki having his own place there as well. Not everybody can live in the Compendium Halls, some researchers might live in these outposts, as they have to research things in certain regions.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #276 on: 09 August 2008, 17:05:01 »

Yes, that's also true.  Judith has her 'main residence' in Marcogg, for example, but she spends most of her time on the road,  between the various central provinces - collecting, composing, spreading music, and passing on the local news and gossip.

But I was specifically answering your question as to the main library and central location of the Compendium itself, Nsiki!  Since you are an Eyelian, what would be the more 'natural' spot for you to have a 'home base'?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #277 on: 09 August 2008, 17:20:32 »

Judith has her 'main residence' in Marcogg, for example, but she spends most of her time on the road,  between the various central provinces - collecting, composing, spreading music, and passing on the local news and gossip.

That was what I thought as well. The Lorehold or the Great Library are the places where the compendium writers are only occasionally, organising their notes and writing down in a proper form what they have found out on their last journey.
My base is of course in the Jewels ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #278 on: 09 August 2008, 18:53:49 »

And my base is on the borders of the Drifting Woods, as long as i'm not wandering through the Kaerath and Northern Bay regions. It's a terribly long journey to and from Nybelmar after all, especially since i have to cross the entire continent as well. I doubt the real Mira will visit the Compendium more than once in a decade, if at all. Lorehold-Mira even says he's just visiting to help out the local head of greenhouses somewhere in his dialogue.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 09 August 2008, 22:41:55 »

Alright then... Nsiki, I think, is also a wanderer. After all, despite his years of studies/reportings of his own people, he has also journeyed as far away as Ximax to study Silkstone. So my guess is he travels around, and has small outposts all over the place.

Oh, and btw, Art, I've got the outside of Nsikis hut finished, which is its own room, and the inside will be coming up shortly.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #280 on: 09 August 2008, 23:00:39 »

Make sure to connect it properly to the Lorehold, Nsiki... If you have somethig to integrate, you can mail it to me and I'll get it in and can point out possible problems.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #281 on: 09 August 2008, 23:05:58 »

Hey Nsiki, with your connection to animals and animal research, why not make it a side-chamber of the passage to the (yet to be written) Bestiary Stables? Art can stretch the path leading that way from the central courtyard a little bit and put it right in. :)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 09 August 2008, 23:12:09 »

Sounds good!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #283 on: 31 October 2008, 06:36:34 »

Got the Lorehold stuff you PMed me, Nsiki, in order to introduce your character. Where exactly on the map would you like to place it? We don't have Bestiary stables yet there now, haven't we? Perhaps we'd need a room or two to connect it?

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 08 March 2009, 07:29:14 »

Sorry this took so long Art!

Make this the first room entering the Bestiary stables:
OPEN DOOR:
You swing open the door to the stables, and a blast of animal scent hits you- a strange medley of musk, dung, and hay wafts through the air, a smell not entirely unpleasant.
The area is less of a stable and more of a zoo – large enclosures keep in several fine specimens of various beasts, and up ahead lies an aerie full of chattering birds. Off to left is a kennel, and a cacophony of barks and howls can be heard. To the right is a small path, and a puff of smoke can be seen over the treeline.
OUTSIDE NSIKI’S HUT
   As you near the Bestiary stables, you see something a bit…. out of place.
In front of you is a small, domed, mud hut, seemingly growing from the ground. It is covered in moss and lichens, and there are several flowerbeds outside. Also, you see a BLADELEAF plant growing by the door, and what appears to be the shadow of a GRYPH overhead. The DOOR is barely that- it is merely a piece of cloth, meant more to keep insects away then for actual security.

EXAMINE BLADELEAF
The fern in front of you is about a half-ped tall, and is composed of several barbed leaves. The leaves are hard, though a bit cracked. The plant seems to be drying out, dying. And at the base is… a SPOUT?

EXAMINE SPOUT
Indeed, a spout. From it drips a thick, green liquid, as it lands in a bucket. The whole setup seems like a brownie-sized version of a syrup production. The BUCKET has a lid nearby, and seems about pocket-sized….

TAKE BUCKET
Glancing around, seeing if anyone noticed, you stuff the Bladeleaf Gel into your pocket. Hopefully it will come in useful, and hopefully the owner doesn’t come back soon!

LOOK AT GRYPH
   High above, a gryph circles. Say, aren’t Gryphs pretty friendly to Eyelians?

EXAMINE DOOR
The “door”, as you’ve noticed is made out of cloth. The cloth is shimmering blue, and unlike any you remember seeing. The CORNER is frayed a bit, and seems ready to come off.
   EXAMINE CORNER
   As you feel the frayed fabric, it rips, and comes off into your fingers. No sense in wasting it, you stuff it in your pockets and carry on.

ENTER HUT

INSIDE NSIKI’S HUT
   Now that you’ve entered, you find the interior of the hut a bit less beautiful then the outside. The room is a bit cramped, obviously built for someone a bit shorter than your average human, and it seems to not have been cleaned in a decade or so. Rising through the miscellany crowding the floor stands a desk, a further platform for junk and trinkets. On top, for instance, sits a STONE paperweight, and a cage with a vile, green RAT inside. At the chair in front of the desk sits an EYELIAN scholar, poring over a PARCHMENT riddled with notes.

EXAMINE STONE
The Stone is cleaved in half, like a geode. Inside the shimmering blue rock are many fine, white, strands, which give off a somewhat un-earthly glow.
EXAMINE RAT
The vile, greenish, rat hisses at you, dripping some nasty substance from the corners of its mouth. One dirty fang is exposed, and the remnants of some rotting meal are still staining the tooth. There is a tag on its neck – it reads “Siki, Jr.”
EXAMINE EYELIAN:
This young scholar is simply dressed, in what appear to be animal skins. A vest and long trousers provide his only clothing, and a gryph-claw necklace hangs low on his chest. His hand ruffles his dark, black hair, and his yellow-flecked eyes are intensely focused on the TREATISE in front of him. Every now and again his quill pen scratches out a lie of text, or scrawls a new line into the margins.
EXAMINE TREATISE:
The treatise is entitled “The Rimmerins Ring: Flora, Fauna, Locations, and Mythology of the Heartland”. Looks like quite a bit of work – better not take it!
TALK TO EYELIAN:
The diminutive man glances at you, and makes a final note on the page. Standing up to his full height (perhaps not all that impressive), he holds out a hand in friendship. “Good day, friend! How can I help you?”
HELLO:
“Hello,” you say. “Just exploring the stables.”
“Well then, explore away to your heart’s content!” he says. “Erm, I would beg of you a favor, however.”
You raise an eyebrow in curiosity.
“Just… watch out for the Gryph. Imn’t sure if she’s been eating today, and I would hate if she were to act overeager towards yourself.”
You nod, and keep that important fact in mind.
NAME:
“Nsikigan HO’TONANESE Yourth, of the Eyelian Men.”
HO’TONANESE:
“Eyelian for Rocksilk, my friend. You see, MY PEOPLE have a tradition of granting a second name based on the personality of the jsal – erm, child, sorry. Slick as Rocksilk, they said I was.” 
MY PEOPLE:
“I’m from a small village in the Rimmerins – Kyttareng. Perhaps you’ve read my treatise on the subject?” You shake your head, and the Eyelian looks a bit dismayed. “Well, there should be a copy in the library – alphabetical by author, sorted by first name.”
JOB:
“Well, I’m a bit of a ju’ek’atra’ad,” he comments. You blink with incomprehension. “My mistake, friend! Sometimes I forget that my fellow scholars and their guests are not fluent in my vernacular. That is to say, I do many jobs for the Sage – I write, travel, act as a messanger, and care for some of Master ¬Zirion’s beasts.”
BYE:
The day is fair, and the soft wind beckons from outside. You decide to resume your stroll.
“Fare thee well, my friend,” the Eyelian says. The rat bares it teeth at you, and Nsiki glares at it. It glares back and hisses at its master. The master hisses at it, and squeaks a few syllables. The rat edges back, and nibbles on a fetid piece of meat. “Sorry about that! Now, go with blessing, and watch out for the Gryph!”

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]