Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pain Remedies (old thread)  (Read 4303 times)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« on: 19 June 2007, 08:24:32 »

Edits suggested by Masterbard Judith in red.
Edits suggested by Grunok in sacre bleu!

PAIN REMEDIES

Pain Remedy Overview
This chapter of herbal remedies studies those preparations which abate pain from various sources.  Note is made that pain remedies treat the pain someone experiences, but not the cause of the pain.  For example, cha of canelvous herb soothes an aching back, but does not recompose the back to a healthy state.  This list does not include numbing preparations, which are mentioned in Herbal Preparations for Surgical Treatments.

Northern Sarvonia

Alrik'ran Bush
Overview
The Alrik’ran bush grows up to one ped in height, producing clusters of green coin-shaped leaves.  It depends on the plainsfires of the Narfost Plain, brought about by the combustion of the lorahough, for its seedpods to germinate.  If the entire plant, save the roots, is immolated by the plainsfires, the plant can regenerate anew from only the intact roots.

Preparation
The tough, fibrous root of the alrik'ran bush is dug up, washed, dried and peeled, then chewed.

Effects
The root, when prepared and chewed as described above, works to remedy cramps, headaches and other complaints during women's cycles.

Lore of Usage
The Alrik'ran root gives forth a bluish, milky sap, which may discolor the teeth of one who chews the root.  Given that these roots can withstand strong fires, and even regrow an entirely new bush after a fire, it is likely that the cooling effect the sap has on the sanguine constituent explains the efficacy of medicinal use of the roots.

Found in scorched land in the Narfost Plain.

Anemonel Flower (AELVÁSH MERÍN)

Overview
Raw Anemonel is poisonous, and accidental ingestion often leads to headache, fever, loose watery stool, stomach cramps, and may even cause death.  The Injerín elves have mastered preparation of Anemonel for medicinal use, carefully guarding this secret from anyone else.  In elven culture, the Anemonel is associated with positive and magical, even mysterious, properties.  To the orcs, however, this flower represents disease and death because of the poison of the living plant and the pale pink coulor of the flower which mirrors the pallor of death.

Preparation
Dried Anemonel leaves are crushed, soaked with Anemonel petals, then mixed with other herbs that help neutralize the poison in Anemonel to produce Aelvásh’már.

Effects
Aelvásh’már is administered to lower fevers and heal headaches.

Lore of Usage
The Anemonel, in the elven culture, is commonly associated with positive, magical, and often times mysterious phenomena. Many elves also associate the coming of these flowers with the wind, breezes sent by Eyasha, Goddess of Peace. - Cooling the sanguine element, the Anemonel flower is thought to assuage any internal conflict.

Found in forest regions in Northern Sarvonia.

Sunsmile (or Sunspark) Flower

Overview
The Sunsmile or Sunspark is hardy to all zones, it will grow on any type of ground, covering it with bright yellow sunny flowers that turn into fluffy puff balls when seeding.  Sunsmile flowers are bright yellow hemi-globes, measuring about 4 nailsbreadths across.  Being resilient to cold and overlying growth, these flowers grow almost as a weed wherever they may take root.

Preparation
Entire sunsmile flowers may be picked, then the flowers clipped from their stems, ready for use.  They have little effect if not used the same day they are picked.

Effects
Add Sunsmile to a warm bath to soothe aching muscles and joints.

Lore of Usage
Being a bright, hardy denizen of the fields, the sunsmile stimulates the anima to rejuvenate one's body.  Sunsmile also distributes the phlegm to a more agreeable balance.

Found in Northern Sarvonia, and in Heath of Jernais and Aurora Fields.

Southern Sarvonia

Canelvous Herb
Overview
The Canelvous is a rare brewing herb grown in scarce amounts by the humans in the Elverground. Because of its ability to soothe and relieve pain it is sought after by many people in the southern part of the continent. The leaves are sold almost all over the Santharian kingdom, at a steep price, and are mainly found in the markets of New-Santhala.

Preparation
The dark reddish-brown leaves of the mature plant are sun-dried to a pale, chalky greyish-brown colour, then are brewed into a dark, bitter infusion.

Effects
Canelvous cha, though extremely sour, can sooth and relieve back ache, headaches, bruises, sprains and pulled muscles.  It is rumoured that mixing the brew with some brandy can cure pain for the long term but this has never been proven.  The astute healer should be wary of affluent nobles who show too much affinity to mixing their canelvous herb in alcoholic spirits, as some people fall victim to addiction to these pain-relieving herbs.

Lore of Usage
A few Nehtorians who reside in the Elverground say that the Canelvous is a gift from Nehtor, the God of Healing, but few common folk believe this.
A more widely-accepted story in the area about the origin of the herb is that a golgnome experimented vigorously with cha leaves and finally created a strange red leaf still bearing the characteristics of the cha leaf. He then used alchemical and magical techniques until the leaf became fern-like and gained strange abilities.
Some herbalists, this author included, hypothesize that the Canelvous herb exerts its effects by nurturing the Grothan constituent, allowing one's pains and discontent to pass in the excreta.

Canelvous herb is grown in small patches by a few families in Elverground.

Urban Tree

Overview
Urban Trees are enormous and dominant, stick stumped bark trees, which can grow to gigantic thickness levels over decades. Characteristic for Urban Trees aside from the enormous breadths they can reach are their roots spreading over the surface of the whole forest ground. They grow deep down in the woods, one of the most prominent Urban Trees lies in the Auturian Forest, where it was made into the Ria, the main building of the Tethinrhim Elves.

Preparation
Freshly-reaped leaves are steeped into a tea, for pain remedies.  The washed leaves may also be applied to assist in wound closure.

Effects
The leaves are steeped into tea which relieves headaches and muscle pains.  Urban leaf tea may prey upon the weak-willed, forming an addiction over time.

Lore of Usage
It is often said that the Urban Tree was first created when the Tethinrhim tribe first came to the Auturian Forest by an elf Named Na’Pheran ("She-Tree"). Realising that it wouldn’t be viable for her fellow tribe members to live on the ground with safety, she focused on the powers of the Earth and created a forest of large living house trees.
Urban leaves hold potency in their effect upon the bile, which flows more evenly, cooling one's disposition and allowing for peaceful repose.

Found in wooded areas, most dense population in Auturian Woods.

Willow Tree
Overview
The Willow is an adaptable plant which grows wild over most of the Sarvonian continent. Its slender leaves born on flexible shoots give it the familiar ‘weeping’ silhouette, and its many uses make it a much-loved tree.

Preparation
The Willow bark is stripped and brewed into tea. Alternatively, alchemists may prepare this into tablets which are ingested, though the tablets often go down easier with warm tea.

Effects
Reduces fever and assuages headache and muscle ache. Readily available from most herbalists in tablet form, dosage according to race.

Lore of Usage
Grothar, God of Weather, is believed to calm raging fevers and burning aches in his compassion and ribald gaiety. This would explain the willow’s effect of stoking the excreta and thus turning and soothing the inflamed sanguine constituent.

The Willow is found throughout Sarvonia except in the driest areas to the south.

Several locales, or Ubiquitous

Khmeen Plant
Overview
Two varieties of Khmeen plant are known, Black Khmeen and the more aromatic, though less common, "Maiden's Breath". Both begin life as carrot-appearing roots, and within one or two years these put out seed-producing flowers. These seeds are the essential part of medicinal extractions from the Khmeen plant.

Preparation
The seeds themselves may be chewed to derive medicinal benefit. As well, the seeds may be ground and pressed to release the oils contained within.

Effects
Both the raw seeds and their potent oils may alleviate the pain of a bad back.

Lore of Usage
Khmeen seeds and oils serve multiple purposes, and thus likely stimulates several constituents once ingested. The effect of assuaging the phlegm may explain its use for cough and breathing troubles. Its postulated soothing effects for aches and eye afflictions come from invigorating the Grothan constituent (excreta). Additionally, it likely summons better composition of the bile to aid in digestive complaints.

Found in southern Elverground, Narfost Plain, northern Nybelmar.

Silkel Tree
Overview
The Silkel Tree, also called the Ilárol’pherán ("Silver Tree") or Cáo fá Eú'reóll, ("Child of the Tree of Life"), in Styrásh, is regarded as one of the most beautiful trees in all of Caelereth, and many believe it to be touched by a kind of immortal magic. Either its enchanting appearance, or perhaps its amazing healing powers, or maybe its inclination to grow in places touched by myth and wonder, lead to the belief that it’s a tree closer to ethereality than to corporeality. This sheen tree has a number of uses, many of them of medical nature. The tree is mostly known for its thread-like bark that can be made into silk, which is sometimes used to make cloth.

Preparation
Midwives will, if they can get the seeds, take the juicy nut and work it into a cream, then warm it and apply it to the skin during contractions to lessen the pain. It is best if the cream is massaged gently into the skin around the mother’s abdomen to warm and relax the muscles. In some cases, this has also worked for courses' pains.
Removing the nut from the shell, chopping it up, and adding it to food before eating it has been known to make infertile women able to bare children. While it doesn’t always work, as there is quite a large number of cases where it hasn’t, there is an even higher number of cases where it has, and thus blessed many women with being able to have children who normally wouldn’t be able to.

Effects
The silkel nut, mashed into a cream then rubbed onto the abdomen, soothes labor pains.

Lore of Usage
Some people believe that magic and myth are manifested in the Silkel, that Silkel Trees show where the ethereal has touched reality, or that some light elven spirits take up residence in these trees. In any instance, the touch of mystical and miracle is apparent in these trees.

An herbalist’s explanation for the miraculous healing effects might be that by welling up the timid influences of ichor and phlegm, the bile and excreta are liberated to craft the body into a more ideal state of health.

Found in forests all throughout Caelereth.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2010, 05:42:52 by Seeker » Logged

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2008, 10:27:53 »

Just bumping this up, and requesting editorial comments.  Thanks!

--Master Yoda
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2008, 12:43:07 »

minor note in lovely entry:  'menstruation' is called 'courses' in Santharia - 'cycle' or 'monthly' is also fine... :)

I just love cross-referencing information!  Was there any particular reason to group this alphabetically (after all, the herbs are already listed alphabetically) rather than by, say, ailment, territory, etc.?   I have a marvelous contemporary herb book which gives about twenty common problems, from 'Aches' through 'Constipation' down to 'Nausea' and 'Tension'... the remedies are listed with their herbal name, latin name, brief description, and recommendation for preparation (as tincture, tisane, poultice, etc.) plus of course the parts of the plant that should be used.  Of course a number of plants have an overlap (sage as disinfectant / fever reducer, or what have you...)  but then the name is simply listed again with a 'see pg XX'.    I don't know if that would suit your purposes any more effectively, but just a thought.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2008, 15:46:25 »

I thought Moon-cycles were the common reference to menstrual cycles?

Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2008, 16:01:34 »

Thank you kindly, Judith and Twen, for your insights!

Recent changes:
--Silkel tree: Preparation, change "menstrual pains" to "courses' pains"
--Group remedies by location:
  Northern Sarvonia = Sunsmile flower, Anemonel flower, Alrik'ran bush
  Southern Sarvonia = Urban tree, Willow tree, Canelvous herb
  Several locales or Ubiquitous = Khmeen herb, Silkel tree

Judith, you have a good point about grouping treatments by problems they treat.  Eventually, my idea is to have several references for herbalists and healers to refer to.  One will be this compendium, the field guide to herbal remedies, laid out according to territory where the plants are found, as you've suggested here.  Another categorical scheme is in the Discourse on Disease, grouping treatment modalities according to problems they treat.  Another possibility, which I haven't put any time or thought into yet, could be categorizing plants according to availability and cost: This family or tribe can provide you with, say, Canelvous herb, Nightshade berries, and tubers, while this other trade guild can supply you with Alrik'ran roots, Mil'no salve (Pormon), etc.

--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2008, 17:05:35 »

Okay, I think this one is ready for editorial review.

--Master Yoda
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2008, 09:10:20 »

Hi Kelancey,

I'm sorry I don't have much time to look this over, but I did have the time to notice one thing.  Under the Anemonel you say:
To the orcs, however, this flower represents disease and death because of the poison of the living plant and the pale pink coulor of the flower which mirrors the pallor of death.
Orcs' skin, especially in the territory of this plant, is generally green.  As such, it's pretty unlikely to go this colour after death!  Big Grin 

It might also be interesting to see which of these are addictive, or used as intoxicants or other such 'recreational drugs' - opium, anyone?  I know Odea Moss is used in this fashion when dried and smoked (a skinny red-haired woman, a shady tavern in Voldar...), but I guess that wouldn't really fit in here as it's not a pain killer.  Then again, this might be another entry altogether, or something we would rather avoid making explicit in our entries.  pet

Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2008, 14:19:37 »

Hmm, Grunok, you're right.  I didn't think that one through when I wrote it.  I'll amend the mention of the orcs' belief about Anemonel to simply allude to the poison, not the color of the flower.

And, the addictive qualities probably are worth mentioning.  I should read the original entries again to see if those mention anything, and from there I'll just suggest two or three...maybe, canelvous for the rich and affluent, urban leaf tea for the forest-dwellers, miyuestiac powder for the townfolk?  Just some ideas to haggle about.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2008, 14:27:23 by Kelancey the Green » Logged

--Master Yoda
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2008, 17:15:58 »

Since your working on pain killers I figured I'd mention i'm working on a plant that produces a powerful narcotic called kitocran

http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,11875.0.html

letting you know so you could include it in your list and offer me some input on it.  cool
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2008, 17:57:50 »

Xera, if the Arefi does get accepted and is incorporated on the site, then I'd look forward to including kitocran in this proposal.  However, I'm not certain that the Arefi will be incorporated in time for it to enter into this proposal at this time.  I'm anticipating that, as this site grows and the diversity expands, the herbal remedies will have to grow accordingly.

Please know that I'm not dismissing the Arefi at all.  I only have one entry in the Herbarium, and I have mentioned that once in any of my other entries.  It's the newness of entries that I shy away from.

However, I can be bought: Do you do pictures?  grin

--Master Yoda
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2010, 10:19:32 »

Here is another one of Kelancey's long forgotten medical texts. Maybe we can assess this one too?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2010, 11:36:18 »

I am so glad you found this.  I am preparing the surgery entry and I need to address pain.  I have a small paragraph addressing the issue but this is much more comprehensive.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2010, 12:33:48 »

Hmmmm - perhaps I should've read this entry before the Surgical one! 

If you'd like to move my far more detailed passage on the Willowbark over here, please feel free - and if I need to add/edit to make its generic usages more clear, please let me know.    Apologies for posting to the wrong place!   

A bashful bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2010, 00:28:38 »

How about the surgeons classic - just get them drunk? I'm sure they would take advantage of the effects of a drunken stupor.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2010, 07:56:53 »

R'unorian Brandy, AKA 'Ruin-n-Desolation', would probably be the potable of choice for that particular application.... :D

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]