Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Putting One's Finger On It: Names for the Bodily Digits in Santharia  (Read 5743 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 20 July 2007, 01:48:34 »

(to be categorized with Muscles and Body Parts, under Medicine, I guess!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the Kingdom of Santharia one may hear many different dialects, local expressions, interesting proverbs and songs, and, of course, specific folk words for certain things.   One of the more interesting 'tells' to judge one's location within the Kingdom would be to simply ask a child or granny what they call the various fingers on their hands.

Those useful digits we know as 'Thumb, Forefinger, Middle, Ring, and Pink', have their own particular names everywhere, and in some places their own songs or riddles.   Surely many of us heard our mother or grandam chant this or a similar rhyme when we were small:

"I have five sturdy serving men -
They do their duty well,
On either hand
They curl or stand
And here their names I'll spell..."

Of course, here the ditty will deviate considerably, depending upon where the singer was raised, and one may reliably guess the province, if not the very town, of birthplace, if one has the knowledge we have gathered for you here below.   Not all tribes are represented, as our wandering bards may not have yet reported in with their findings, and there is, as always with any attempt of the Compendiums to map linguistic areas, much overlap, variation, and blending.  Be that as it may – enjoy the variety here given, and the next time you count your change out on your fingers at the marketplace, see if some of the picturesque names do not run through your head!

Glandorian:  Thumb, Fore, Mid, Ring, Pipkin

Darian:  Thumble, Pointer, Middy, Heartfinger, Pinkie

Shan’Thai:  Dumth, Tosher (Toucher), Midfin’er, Leche, Babe

Averish:   Grabbler, Tousher, Middie, Ringie, Pinky

Sophronian / Erph:  Hiltfinger / Thumb, Bowyer, Proudman, Ring, Page

Caltharian:  Hame, Stirrer, Longman, Rover, Dingle

Eyelian:   Modern or 'city' Eyelians have been known to use Leader, Merchant, Fighter, Farmer, Salter - however, everyone from granther to toddler knows the old names, as in this rhyme below.  Note that they begin with the first finger and end with the thumb 'finishing the set'.

Little Eyelians count on pack numbers five
The first being Alpa, like a wolf in disguise
Onto Ursa, Mighty and Tall
And Grota the third as the heart of it all
Little Eaglet is the smallest finger yet
And short, sturdy, Jay finishes the set.

Sophronian:  Thoom, Pointer, Langley,  Nextle, Lastle

Stratanian:   Tomm, Bes, Saylo, Hart, Pip

Central Santharia / New Santhala:  Thumb, Forefinger, Midfinger, Ringfinger, Pink

The Kuglimz, literal-minded northerners that they are, call them simply:

Vir'ng--Thumb (lit. "finger one")
Nuk'ng--Second finger (lit. "finger two")
Mur'ng--Third finger (lit "finger three")
Nek'ng--Fourth finger (lit. "finger four")
Teig'ng--Fifth finger (lit. "finger five")

However, they do also have nicknames, as seen in the delightful little rhyme below, which Kuglimz mothers teach their babies:

Vir, la’la’ng         One [is] mama thumb
Nuk,  v’lyr’ng      Two [is]  oldest son
Mur,  den sah’ng,   Three [is] tall daddy
Nek, mara wyn’ng    Four [is] golden girl (“mara’wyn” is the Kuglimz term for a daughter who is her daddy’s “princess”)
Cone, cym'ng   (Last [is] little one!

« Last Edit: 14 June 2008, 19:57:39 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2007, 03:31:16 »

You make me giggle, Bard.  The way you can take something as mundane as the fingers on your hand and make it magical.  I swear, you have the heart and soul of this world inside you.  Very nice work. grin

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2007, 03:48:56 »

Pinky for the little finger?  (never heard this before and it sounds terrible in my ears - why pinky?)

In German it is just "little (or small) finger", don't know if there are special expressions in some dialects.

A nice collection though, Judy!

Stratanian, Darian and maybe Averish (Glandorian +Darian)should have some more "sounds" in common, for they are all somehow related.
Stratanian derived from Darian=Shendar + some Epheronian influence in the south.

In Shan'Thai their society could show - they do have a kind of slavery!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2007, 03:57:14 »

Well, whatever the reason, but "pinkie/pinky" seems to be the commonly used English expression for the small finger (see Leo).

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2007, 05:05:26 »

Wow!!!...Once you get an idea in your head you cant stop writing amazing stuff, can you? :D

So you are a talented musician, Amazing Artist, Excuisite Writer, English teacher and a parent...where do you find the time? grin

Oh...you couldnt perhaps do the names of the fingers in styrash could you? heart

___________"In the pursuit of happiness,___________
 the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."

Petros Greenvale
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2007, 05:32:17 »

Why does everything have to be in Styrash all the time?

Why not the Dwarven tounge or the Kuglimz language?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2007, 09:58:05 »

Face it Decipher...Elves are SO much cooler than Dwarves!!! fish lol

Petros Greenvale
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2007, 10:14:22 »

Petros.... beware the wrath of the Dwarvenmistress...

We Thergerim don't just whack people with soggy little fish - we use our smithy hammers  hammer

And you really should read through some of the Dwarven entries before making such grandiose claims.  Caelerethian dwarves  live in active volcanoes - swear impressive oaths - wear lavish embroidery - brew amazing drinks - concoct 'bread' out of mushrooms - get married in the altogether - raise their children communally - handwrite their sacred scriptures from start to finish as an act of worship - and much, much more.   DWARVES ARE COOL!

Talia - while I agree that 'pinkie / pinky' is a rather silly word, it IS the English standard.  I don't know the etymology, but it should be included in at least one list of the digit names.  It doesn't have to be the standard ('Received Pronunciation' :) ) expression in Santharia, though... how about 'pipkin', bearing with it the sense of 'small' or 'littlest one'?  

For the Darian and Averish, I used what we have extant about the dialectal forms, as seen in the tribe entries - they may not reflect the historical patterns of language dispersal but then again we don't have an overarching compilation of such!  Which is why some of the tribes aren't listed at all, as you may notice - we know so little about them that I didn't dare begin defining their speech patterns.  Really, we should get a few basic outlines down for the missing ones - it goes hand in hand with nomenclature (people AND places!)

If you have some more 'authentic' suggestions for the Stratans, please do give some ideas here.  I thought they might, as portspeople and travellers/sailors, have been influenced by a variety of cultures and tried to reflect that in the more 'exotic' names - but I can also use that list for another tribe instead.

Everyone, thanks for the feedback!  (blows kiss to Altario)
« Last Edit: 20 July 2007, 15:04:50 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2007, 10:59:29 »

Calm the beans hen!! peace, no need to take out that hammer besides ive got a fish and im not afraid to use it!! grin :P

i never said dwarves werent cool...its just that their not AS cool as elves. ;)

Sorry to invoke your wrath Dwarven Mistress hug

(i love these wee smileys heart)

Petros Greenvale
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2007, 02:47:06 »

I still prefer dwarves to elves...Elves are too common...We have unique Dwarven culture (not that Elven culture isnt original too!)

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2007, 02:55:02 »

Well, cant we just say that there both cool in their own way. Dwarves have their volcanoes and axes and Elves have their forests and bows. :D

Petros Greenvale
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2007, 04:07:06 »

And we shoudl probably add the Krean, Shar, and "Vikh names as well, if we're making a complete guide Decipher..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2007, 12:08:31 »

@ Judy: Pipkin sounds nice!

Traditions can change, so we really can have totally different names - but I'm bad with inventing some. Maybe there is just one traditions kept (reason!) that one finger has the same name and the others have different ones? (No idea yet)

Edit: Thought about taking  the Ringfinger, but Heartfinger is so nice! I would not want to  miss it. Thought about an miniscule submission about the names ring-finger/heartfinger and the differences between Darian and Glandorian ;)
Not now!
« Last Edit: 21 July 2007, 12:12:09 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2007, 08:12:50 »

Masterbard, this is so much more colorful than the convention of simply numbering digits: First digit/thumb, second digit/index finger...  This is a delight to read!  By the way, are fingernails still referred to as such in Santharia?  And knuckles and wrists, too?  Please could we keep these names, as I've committed to adding Santharthritis to the DoD (Discourse on Diseases)?

This is wonderfully illustrative, Judith!  Thank you for putting delightful labels on what had previously been mundane appendages!

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2008, 07:27:07 »

BUMPING to contribute to the just-initiated discussion on names for body parts.... :)

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 191
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)