Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Demoralize, Fire magic Level 2  (Read 6279 times)
Thorgas Ironforge
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 31 July 2007, 14:19:26 »

I hope you don't mind this widdle dwarf copying you comments, Foxie, my brain hurts from all that exam and I can't think of anything else.

Fire Spells: Demoralize (Level II)

Overview: Demoralize is an ancient spell used to prevent bloody and costly wars. This spell will weaken the morale of the caster's target, and is commonly used against soldiers of an invading army.

Spell Effect: The effect of the spell is to decrease the property of courage in the Fire ounia in a person's mind, causing the afflicted person to feel hopeless. Numerous powerful sorcerers are able to cast this spell over multiple people, like an army for example. A successful incantation against a powerful enemy is almost a guarantee to a flawless victory.

Once the soldiers are sufficiently under the effect of the spell, one might use further verbal threats to encourage them to surrender, as seen by an example from Dwarven Archmage Unger Firehands: "Go on, fools, and see if you have any chances of winning. You can barely lift a sword, much less use it. Look at our might, and let it be a testament to those who will incur our wrath. Look at your wives and your children, and tell me if it is worthy to lose your lives for the benefit of your worthless scum of a leader."

Casting Procedure: A low level mage needs to keep his palms outstretched at the target, focusing his concentration on the Fire ounia in the person's mind. Powerful sorcerers are known to only look at their target; their glares are enough to cast the spell.
During the incantation, the mage focuses on the spiritual side of fire on the target's mind; particularly the spiritual property of fire over courage.  Using Sphere I techniques, the Fire mage must decrease the influence of this property. At the same time, the mage may feel inclined to increasing the influence of the property of fear to heighten the effect of the spell.. Once the courage property's effect has decreased enough, the target would gradually feel the sense of being hopeless.

Magical Formula: Not defined yet.

Target: A living, sentient being. Occasionally, an enclave of powerful wizards can cast this on a large group of people, provided that all are visible to the sorcerers.

Reagents: Sulphur is to be scattered in a ring around the mage in preparation of the ritual.

Magical School: Elemental magic, Fire school.

Spell Class: Sphere I, Fire Enchantment (Spiritual Representation of the Fire School)

Range: Starting at level 2, casters need to be in close contact with their target. Distance increases as the mage increases in ability.

Casting time: Beginners need some time, usually a minute, in preparation and in the casting of the spell. More practiced sorcerers can cast the incantation in a few blinks.

Duration: The caster should maintain a constant focus on the target to have the desired effect, as the spell will wear off in no short order once concentration is broken. In longer battles where it is impossible to make the entire enemy army surrender, one example is a tactic war leaders have used in ancient times: their plan is to have another fresh mage replace the one casting in order to keep the spell going. High level magi, however, can do this easily and without trouble.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures. Casters on the opposing side can use the same spell to counterspell the enemy mage, increasing courage in their own armies. Very skilled magi may be able to accomplish both at once.

One obvious way of ending the spell is to harm the caster and thus making him lose his concentration. Oftentimes the mage doing the spell is the first one to be killed, thus it is a dangerous task for a caster. In addition, in battle, leaders with exceptional charisma and leadership abilities can coax their warriors to fight, providing the soldiers trust their leaders well enough. Situations such as these can render the spell much less effective, or even completely useless.

To enhance the effects of the spell, a skilled mage might simultaneously increase the property of fear within their target(s). Also, showing the enemy your strength, be it physical or in terms of the size of the army, along with other fear tactics commonly used in war, can greatly increase the effects of the spell. Enemies would hardly fight if they knew they were out-numbered or ill-equipped, thus casting this spell on already frightened enemies is a sure way to make the spell succeed.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2007, 16:39:26 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2007, 06:45:23 »

Surprised no one's looked at this yet, so I'll give it some comments. :)

Spell Name: Demoralize

School: Fire Magic

Level: II

Overview: Demoralize is an ancient spell used to prevent bloody and costly wars. This spell will weaken the morale of the caster's target, and is commonly used against soldiers of an invading army.

"Go on, fools, and see if you have any chances of winning. You can barely lift a sword, much less use it. Look at our might, and let it be a testament to those who will incur our wrath. Look at your wives and your children, and tell me if it is worthy to lose your lives for the benefit of your worthless scum of a leader." You should 'cite' this quote. Explain who said it, why and where it was said, you shouldn't just throw random unintroduced quotes around.

Spell Effect: The effect of the spell is to decrease the influence of fire ounia in a person's mind. With the reduction of the domain of fire on the person's mind, Fire's influence of courage diminishes and the afflicted person will feel hopeless. Numerous powerful sorcerers are able to cast this spell over multiple people, like an army for example. A successful incantation against a powerful enemy is almost a guarantee to a flawless victory. Fear is another property of fire, one that you don't want to remove. If you remove the fire domination overall, the army won't have the passion to fight, but they also won't have the fear to stop fighting. Being hopeless is one thing, but a hopeless being without the desire for self-preservation is just going to charge straight into their death without a care.

Casting Procedure: A low level mage needs to keep his palms outstretched at the target, focusing his concentration in decreasing the fire ounia in a person's mind. Powerful sorcerers are known to only look at their target; their glares are enough to cast the spell. You should give a bit more detail in how this operates here. Right now the overview, spell effect, and casting procedure are all roughly the same length and say roughly the same thing. In the case of this spell, you aren't necessarily decreasing the overall impact of spiritual fire ounia. Afterall, while you'd be removing courage and passion, you'd also be removing fear. What you want to do is to only decrease a certain property--that of courage and passion, while leaving fear and chaos and such intact. Thus, you want the target to still largely be fire dominated, spiritually, you just want to shift which spiritual properties are activated.

Magical Formula: To be added.

Target: A living, sentient being. You've said that this spell can also target groups of people, so you should also make note of that here.

Reagents: Sulphur is to be scattered in a ring around the mage in preparation of the ritual.

Magical School: Fire magic school.

Spell Class: Spiritual representation of sphere I.

Range: Starting at level 2, casters need to be in close contact with their target. Distance increases as the mage increases in level.

Casting time: Beginners need some time in preparation and in the casting of the spell. More practiced sorcerers can cast the incantation in a few blinks.

Duration: The caster should keep the spell up to have the desired effect. One example is a tactic war leaders have used in ancient times. Their plan is to have another fresh mage replace the one casting in order to keep the spell going. high level magi, however, can do this easily and without trouble.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures:

Counter Measure:
One obvious way of ending the spell is to harm the caster and thus making him lose his concentration. Oftentimes the mage doing the spell is the first one to be killed, thus it is a dangerous task for a caster.
In battle, leaders with exceptional charisma and leadership abilities can coax their warriors to fight, providing they trust their leaders well enough. Situations such as these have completely rendered the spell useless.

Enhancing Measure:
Showing the enemy your strength, be it physical or in terms of the size of the army, can greatly enhance the spell. Enemies would hardly fight if they knew they were out-numbered or ill-equipped. Thus, casting this spell on enemies with this problem is a sure way to make the spell succeed.
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2007, 07:37:54 »

This looks oddly familiar. Isn't there an earth spell ALOT like this (exact opposite of iron will I think.)

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2007, 06:43:47 »

Weaken resolve.  And they are different as they use different means.
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2007, 11:59:38 »

How about this spell being used on the enemy on particular spot in the enemies lines where you intend to break thru.

How about people assigned to protect these mages if your battle strategy is dependent on them then you can't risk one lucky enemy archer would cause you to loose.
Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2007, 04:49:04 »

I think this spell sounds a little too powerful for a level 2 mage, perhaps level four or five would suit it better. Also, Fox does have a point. Reducing the Fire ounia in the target would give it a beastial rage (Right wording?) thus making them very dangerous and possibly more potent. So, if possible, do what fox said and only affect the presence of hope. Although the idea of a spell that causes this rage sounds quite useful, but thats a whole other spell, anyways sounds good.  grin
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2007, 05:36:24 »

I think this spell sounds a little too powerful for a level 2 mage, perhaps level four or five would suit it better. Also, Fox does have a point. Reducing the Fire ounia in the target would give it a beastial rage (Right wording?) thus making them very dangerous and possibly more potent. So, if possible, do what fox said and only affect the presence of hope. Although the idea of a spell that causes this rage sounds quite useful, but thats a whole other spell, anyways sounds good.  grin

Well no, it wouldn't cause bestial rage. Reducing wind's influence while increasing fire is what causes bestial rage. Rage is part of fire, just the same as hope, and fear. Both extremes of emotion are part of fire. So any general increase or decrease of fire is going to effect both aspects. Decreasing fire in general gives you a robot army that does as its commanded without qualm but also without fervor (useful for controlling an otherwise uncontrollable large slave army where you can just keep throwing waves of them at an enemy). Increasing fire gives you a bestial army that is hard to control but fights with a fury and passion for that which it believes in. Thus, you need to only increase one property of fire, while decreasing another property.

As far as level goes... wide-spread effect would require much more skill, but basic one-target usage of this spell is low level. It's a Sphere I spell so it is relatively easy to cast. Ximaxian spells aren't necessarily leveled by power (like in modern RPG games), but instead in how easy/advanced the techniques are to cast them. However, a lower level mage is not going to be able to use this spell to its full capacity as a high level one.

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2007, 08:00:55 »

Adressing the issue of selecting for a specific property (This came up just recently), we haven't decided exactly how this is done and therefore, when spell writing, it is best to leave it alone for now.

I'd suggest addressing the issue at last in either this thread or another.
Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2007, 11:45:29 »

Thanks for correcting me fox, I'm still not that good at magic. By the way, I only meant it would be a higher level to attack more people.  number1 Perhaps a chart could be used.
Thorgas Ironforge
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2007, 01:16:38 »

Oh goody, I got some comments.

I'll fix this firt thing in the morning.
Thorgas Ironforge
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2007, 23:05:01 »

"Go on, fools, and see if you have any chances of winning. You can barely lift a sword, much less use it. Look at our might, and let it be a testament to those who will incur our wrath. Look at your wives and your children, and tell me if it is worthy to lose your lives for the benefit of your worthless scum of a leader."
(I was thinking that this could be something like adding flavor to an entry.)

Fear is another property of fire, one that you don't want to remove. If you remove the fire domination overall, the army won't have the passion to fight, but they also won't have the fear to stop fighting. Being hopeless is one thing, but a hopeless being without the desire for self-preservation is just going to charge straight into their death without a care.
(I did not say it was removed. Furthermore, I specifically mentioned that fire's influence of courage was dampened.)

You should give a bit more detail in how this operates here. Right now the overview, spell effect, and casting procedure are all roughly the same length and say roughly the same thing. In the case of this spell, you aren't necessarily decreasing the overall impact of spiritual fire ounia. Afterall, while you'd be removing courage and passion, you'd also be removing fear. What you want to do is to only decrease a certain property--that of courage and passion, while leaving fear and chaos and such intact. Thus, you want the target to still largely be fire dominated, spiritually, you just want to shift which spiritual properties are activated.
(Yes, I will be adding that right now.)

You've said that this spell can also target groups of people, so you should also make note of that here.
(And this one too.)

Well, I'm just glad you did not butcher my fourth entry completely, Das. :D
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2007, 03:05:50 »

(I was thinking that this could be something like adding flavor to an entry.)

That's fine, but the quote needs to be introduced to the reader in some manner. Say who said it and why it was said.

(I did not say it was removed. Furthermore, I specifically mentioned that fire's influence of courage was dampened.)

You do state in a few instances that the spell is lowering the domination of Fire in the target's mind, without talking about a specific property.
Thorgas Ironforge
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2007, 16:18:41 »

There, I've decided to dedicate all my spells to Ungur Firehands, dwarven archmage.

Read away, people.
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2007, 16:34:11 »

About the quote, what I mean by an introduction is like how Twen uses a quote in her Fiery Minion entry.

Soandso gives an example of what one might say during the casting of this spell: "Quote". (Quoted from: "Blahblah".), or maybe Soandso said this during a casting of this spell in the Battle of Blank: "Quote". (Quoted from: "Blahblah".)

(the 'quoted from' part only required if quoting from a written source)

Without italics or anything, just a second paragraph as part of the description.

Other than that pet peeve of mine, the spell looks fine to me, though, and I'll give it a Uri-check soon.

Lorek Sarnif
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 5

Intrepid Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2007, 16:51:14 »

I'll start by admitting that I'm not a master of magic; just a very eager to learn apprentice to Twen and anyone else willing to teach me.

During the incantation, the mage focuses on the spiritual side of fire on the target's mind; particularly the dominion of fire over courage.

My concerns are as follows: First; I don't see how fire controls the aspect of courage in a person. Courage, in my opinion, is related to strength of will. Strength of will to me would be an aspect of Earth magic. Secondly, I don't think spiritual fits here. I say this because every time I see the word spiritual in an entry of fire magic, I think of Necromancy and the spiritual side of fire infusing one's life force etcetera. Just my two sans worth. I wish you the best with this spell.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]