Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Question about developing a new type of crossbow  (Read 2355 times)
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« on: 12 August 2007, 15:27:29 »

Hey!

I've been pondering on working on a new type of crossbow tonight and wanted to run the ideas past some people just to make sure it'll 'fit' right.

Basically I'm looking at creating a type of 'crossbow pistol', basing it somewhat off of the 17th century Belgian Crossbow pistols (of which I've only found pictures of replicas and haven't managed to find any information yet, in case anyone has more information in this regard!).

My concerns with it are in whether or not it would be appropriate for Santharia. My designs (and main reason for developing it) are in order to create a rather 'flintlock'-appearance. Due to fact that I know it's pretty much guaranteed that no one wants actual gunpowder weapons (as much as I'd like them. *grins*) I figured it might be possible to go with a crossbow version of a traditional flintlock pistol. I'm wondering if it's okay to do this. Obviously a crossbow fits into the world, but I'm not sure if you guys would be okay with it having some appearance similarities with gunpowder pistols.

In addition, I was planning on making it of R'unorian design due to the amount of other crossbow inventions they have been credited with. As R'unor isn't being developed at this point in time, I wanted to clarify whether or not this would acceptable.

I've been drawing up some sketches tonight to determine how it works and looks. So here you can see where I'm planning on going with this, and whether or not the flintlock appearance is something people would be okay with before I do any more serious work on it.

Picture

(also, if this is okayed, I was wondering if anyone had any information on real life crossbow pistols? Namely I'm curious as to what type of draw mechanism they use as the pictures I've found so far show no discernible draw mechanic (my sketches use an underhanded reverse pull lever atm but I'd probably change it if real life ones use something different), and what the purpose of the curved base is for (I'm using it as leverage for the pull lever which again will probably be changed if I can find out more info, but I'm curious what the reason for it is on real crossbow pistols. I'm assuming it's used for extra pushing power similar to the bow-arms, though I don't understand how it could still be fired in a straight line after drawn if that were the case)).

Thanks. :)

« Last Edit: 12 August 2007, 15:54:37 by Fox » Logged
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2007, 18:00:51 »

I would say go ahead from the pictures I've looked at it seems to be just a small crossbow with a pistol grip. It would be reasonable for any type of weapon we have to have various types of handles.

The Chinese had pistol grips in the second century BC so I don't think they'd be out of place in an ancient world.  :)
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2007, 21:27:26 »

Aye Fox, I'd say it'd work great for sea-farring types who need a smaller weapon. *mutters about stupid crossbows being too heavy.*

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2007, 21:34:50 »

Decipher did have an idea for a crossbow one could conceal on ones arm...it was more or less a crossbow that can be fired just by cleanching one's fist and is completely unnoticable due is narrow shape...

but that is irrelevant to this topic...unless somebody would like to develop this for me...

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2007, 21:59:34 »

Oh, those are nasty.. the most advanced ones use a spring instead of a cord for launching and are nothing more than bits of wood. with painfull side-affects. Perfect for any assasin, as they give you one shot no-one will expect you to have...

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2007, 22:08:56 »

That was the design I was thinking of...however I did think of a stream-lined bow design...like a long triangle rather than the semi-oval shape...

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2007, 06:00:02 »

Did some more sketches today.

This is what I'm looking at going with. It's clearly a crossbow from the top, but when viewed from the side it's virtually indistinguishable from a flintlock pistol, hence my concern that some people may not like that.

Did away with the crescent bottom since I couldn't figure out the purpose for it (20+ pages of google searches for 'crossbow pistols' '17th century belgian crossbow pistol', etc all just turned up with replica websites and hobby stores, no information whatsoever, and wikipedia has nothing either. So I'm just using mechanics based off of modern-day crossbow pistols (a pullback lever at the rear of the weapon))

Will be working on the entry form next unless anyone has any objections to the way it looks. (the triangle-thing at the very bottom is what I'm calling a 'wing', an optional modification that can be attached to cover the bow-arm-and-string parts of the crossbow)

« Last Edit: 13 August 2007, 06:17:37 by Fox » Logged
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2007, 06:02:35 »

I like it alot Fox!

Perhaps you could draw a definitive design from a diagonal perspective so you can see aspects of both the birds eye and side view?

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2007, 06:11:18 »

I like it alot Fox!

Perhaps you could draw a definitive design from a diagonal perspective so you can see aspects of both the birds eye and side view?

As much as I'd like to, I'm not very good at doing diagonal perspectives on stuff like this. Could try, though.
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2007, 06:14:42 »

Please do...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2007, 04:12:33 »

Well, here of course lies - at least to me - a major world design problem. Once a pistol of any kind is invented, it isn't very far to similar kinds of weapons, e.g. with projectiles that are easier to load like darts, poisonous arrows and things like that. I don't know much about the existing crossbow pistol here on Earth, but I would imagine that it didn't survive very long, because the fact that a principle was found how one is able to make deadly shots with using only one hand can be considered a revolution in weapons design. The further steps towards more efficient weapons probably are still quite a technical challenge, but wouldn't last centuries.

I don't know how other senior developers think, but I'd bet the problem with the concept is something that is very obvious. If at all, I would make such a weapon a very recent invention, which is still in development stage, but putting it a few centuries back I'd consider not plausible. I'm not entirely sure whether introducing such a weapon would be good even in contemporary Santharian environment, but I would consider it a possibility at least. But we need to hear other opinions on this.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2007, 04:22:41 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2007, 04:19:50 »

As i was reading your concerns against it Art, i had the same conclusion.  If at all, only a very recent invention, and very very rare, something that 99.9% of the world do not know yet exists.  Perhaps just a prototype model.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2007, 04:35:38 »

It could be e.g. a R'unorian curiosity, used by inventive pirates. And in a possible entry it could be stated that people tell about such strange devices, but that these rumours aren't confirmed and thus the entry would speculate basically on how these devices might work. The entry could then also point out that if these rumours are true, that such weapons exist, that this could be a major breakthrough in weapon design, where the consequences are unforeseeable. With these hints I would leave it to the imagination of the reader how things will progress from there, but I wouldn't embed these weapons very deeply in Santharian contemporary context and keep it more open.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2007, 05:19:46 »

Yep, I was planning on something very recent, and definitely a rare pirate flavour weapon for the most part, as that's where it would find the most valued use (being able to be fired from one hand while holding on to riggings with the other, against unarmoured opponents). They aren't nearly as strong as regular crossbows, so it wouldn't find much use in a real war. Due to the bow parts, it also isn't very easily concealable.

I'm gonna hold off on it until Judith can take a look, since I know she's expressed doubts in the past about things relating to firearms of any kind. If there's enough criticism against it then I'll ditch the idea, since I assumed from the get-go it might be a problem.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]