Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Question about Races  (Read 5535 times)
Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« on: 16 August 2007, 11:18:51 »

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but are races still banned from being created. I was just struck with inspiration for a new (somewhat) race. It is the race of the dear sweet faeries. Yes, I understand that they are over done on many a fantasy RPG/world making sites, but I think that Santharia could use a bit of faerie.

First of all, they would be mystical. Thus, one wouldn't worry about all of the people wanting to be faeries and what-not. Secondly, they would be introduced by stories told by Brownies.

This is a large undertaking, but I have a partner in crime for the project, keeping me accountable and since I looooove faeries I would be willing to work on it.

It would take awhile to write up, but again, I'm up to the challenge. So....would I be able to work on them? *puppy dog eyes* Pleeeeeeease?

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2007, 14:48:22 »

After a quick search I found 17 entries mentioning faeries so you wouldn't be creating a new race so it would be similar to doing an entry on a town that has bean mentioned several times. But maybe a bit harder to do  ;)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2007, 16:41:29 »

"Fairies" as you call them are part of Artemis' Aeruillin concepts in the southern Void, you can read up on that. They are somewhat semi-existing there. So if something on the fairy issue can be done in this respect, it would need to be done with Artemis' accordance. As Artemis is barely around and hasn't contributed in years, this might be somewhat difficult.

Fairies as part of Brownie culture (even in mythical stories) is somewhat strange in my point of view, though, as how large would these be for example? As large as Brownies? Fairies usually are as small as butterflies or something like that. As mythical angel-like additions to the hobbit Goddess Dalireen for example I could somewhat imagine mythical faires. A race however is something quite different.

BTW: Aren't you starting entries regularly from time to time, Kareesh, but somehow these stay in the beginning stages for months until they are abandoned altogether? If something is done in this respect, it would need be done reliably.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2007, 16:43:06 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2007, 03:27:04 »

I believe part of that Arti is because people tend to get so defensive about certain aspects on what she does. Like the children's story, that people said had to be "accurate" even though it was only an illustration for the ages of birth to six, the stages of life which would not necessarily comprehend the complexities of an adult accurate story.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2007, 23:34:26 »

Well, kinda, Kali. I think what he's referring to is Hashna Quintar and the play series that I kinda sorta started to write. I can finish Hashna and write on the plays, but my main question was is it a possibility to write the race. When I have more time (prolly after work) I will write up the ideas that I have written down.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2007, 23:51:45 »

Well, Artemis has the first claim on the faeries as a race. She was not allowed to do them back then when she asked. Others wanted to do them meanwhile as well and she repeated her claim.
Art, she logs in now and then and is present and if you write a mail she does log in. If anything happens concerning Aeruillin she is here.
Maybe if you would nicely ask her if she has meanwhile rewritten her Shan'Thai which she lost due to a computer crash or ask her if she would not like to continue you would regain a dedicated author. Always complaining  - in the back of the people - doesn't help the Dream you want to bring so much forward .

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2007, 23:56:36 »

lol Sorry, but that last part was really funny, Talia. I've just stated a fact, and didn't complain about it. I didn't make a judgement, just said it might be difficult to make progress for these reasons.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2007, 00:12:58 »

Don't you even realise when you are complaining? "She is barely around" may be a "fact", but it is at least not correct if you not add as well, that she is around when messaged.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2007, 01:15:12 »

I'm saying what I'm saying publicly here, and not behind anyone's back. I can be corrected anytimes here as well, and that is a great advantage of talking in the open - if Artimidor is considered rude, et voilà, a pan goes on his head :) I guess such discussions can be quite fruitful actually!

Besides I just tried to put things in perspective if attempts should be made on developing something fairy-related. If there is need to contact Artemis (not sure if this goes into the Aeruillin direction at all), she can be contacted of course - nice to have that pointed out, Talia, so thanks for reminding us! cool
« Last Edit: 18 August 2007, 01:21:40 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2007, 09:01:42 »

Alrighty. I'll do that then. Thanks for the input.

Artemis
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2007, 00:16:11 »

Hey!

I am here :P. Summon me and I am happy to oblige. Thanks for the polite email Kareesh! And Talia is correct, I do check here every few days. :D.

So faeries... wow that takes me back for sure. When I first came to Santharia it was what I wanted to do and I wrote so much... which was totally unsuitable, I was kindly rebuffed in my attempts and told to take a different angle on it all. Eventually I was told I could write about Faeries, but they had to be mythical. Then someone told me/suggested that they should come from the void. It went from there really, I made them part of Aeruillin, ultimately part of their religion and therefore took interest in the continent from there.

Now, when I was doing them I made up various groups which are mentioned in the Aeoliran creation myth which is here... http://www.santharia.com/library_old/tales/aelorian_creation_myth.htm - I made 5 groups. Then I went and fleshed out 1 of them... but that was where I gave up because I just couldn't write in the correct style for them. I made a long entry on the Veeke/Pixies, talking about them and their studies, how life was for them etc. However, I was once again rebuffed (any aspiring Santharians, even I went through the "writing unsuitable material and being told to change many times" stage, fret not, it works out in the end!)

So... in the spirit of keeping consistency in Caelereth, to write about another race of Fae would probably not work. However, the general premise behind the Fae was that they were believed real by the majority of Aeruillin, that these races actually lived in the void, yet by others they were myth and legend in stories for children. However, if you wished to try to elaborate upon any of the 5 races of fae, I don't see why you should not. It was something I failed to capture the correct writing style for... I don't know whether I could find my original attempt of 4-5 years ago as inspiration, it's probably gone into forum depth death. However, if you do it would be good for consistency to understand the importance of the Fae to tribes like the Hjoria and in general to those who are of the Aeoliran faith.

Any more questions, ask away. I will check this thread regularly over the next few days :).

Also... Shan'Thai/Thairans... would you believe me if I told you this Easter I had to buy a new computer because my laptop was infected with some awful virus which rendered the whole thing impossible to save or use ever again? The harddisk was totally corrupted, I was lucky this time however in that I had a memory stick upon which all my University notes were saved, otherwise I probably would have failed my degree. HOWEVER there is an early version of the Thairans with some stuff in this board somewhere, so I didn't lose all of it. :).

And that reminds me. 4 months ago I promised Talia something... I shall find that email you sent. I haven't forgotten... I've just graduated from Uni, and then gone to Holland, Scotland and France... teeheehee... only the small matter of deciding my future now!

:D :D :D
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2007, 02:58:00 »

Hey, we haven't heard yet that you have graduated from Uni, Artemis! At any rate: Congrats on that and I hope you'll enjoy your tavels through Europe !!! thumbup

BTW: Also good to see that you managed to dig up those Tharians - while not complete there's quite a bit there at least :) - Hope there's a chance to finish these at some point!

Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2007, 10:00:24 »

Congrats on graduating Uni. I have 2 more years till I have that and then I have no idea what I want to do. :\

I had a big idea for faeries, which they don't really look anything like what you have. If you are interested, I could post what ideas I had here or just e-mail them to you. As you were the first to "make them up" I would like your input on it. ^^

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2007, 21:08:11 »

Hey Congrats on Graduation Artemis!

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Artemis
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2007, 19:08:47 »

Congrats on graduating Uni. I have 2 more years till I have that and then I have no idea what I want to do. :\

I had a big idea for faeries, which they don't really look anything like what you have. If you are interested, I could post what ideas I had here or just e-mail them to you. As you were the first to "make them up" I would like your input on it. ^^

Well I'm always interested to hear ideas ;). Faeries as a race are 1 of the 5 groups of Fae if you see what I mean, so your ideas could fit them in particular! However, you would have to consider the basic Void mythology that I have laid out, the Aeoliran religion, and how the 5 groups are different from each other. However, the view of Faeries in Sarvonnia/Nybelmar etc is sure to be a lot different than the views of those in Aeruillin. So there's a fairly large scope to work with there.

And yes! I did graduate... I put on some silly robes, walked along a stage and shook the hand of some random guy... and that was 3 years of my life over! Wow, talk about an anticlimax ;). There's a whole load of photos from it... I suppose I could dig some up for you all to see Artemis in a rather overlarge gown thing and stupid hat.

:D :D :D
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]