Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Earth School -- is any process being done here?  (Read 8714 times)
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2007, 13:03:50 »

This goddess is the focus of DEATH and I would guess likes things to remain dead. IMHO

Yep. And Earth magic would be magic focusing on things remaining dead as well. Necromancy is not simply 'reanimating the dead', that is only one part of it (despite being the most common part). Necromancy is at its definition the magic of the dead. That does not necessarily mean reanimating the dead.

Earth magic Necromancy certainly exists but its spells would be spells that accelerate or mimic the processes of death, instead of reversing it. Things like bone flesh, that turn the skin to bone, body of the dead, where the entire body becomes corpse-like in appearance, heart stop, stopping an opponent's heart and other vital organs, and so on.

An Earth Necromancer would EMBRACE death, while Fire Necromancers try to prevent it or reverse it.
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2007, 14:00:46 »

Funny...

In that case I'll go digging to find Rayne's notes and begin to work

All I was saying was that I'm fine with you doing the writing. I did not create this thread just to get permission to do it, I just wanted to know if anything was being done on it. If you want to do it, then great, you have my full cooperation and support if you need and I'll comment on it if you have questions and when it gets posted.

All I wanted to know was whether or not work *was* actually being done in this area, because it is currently not reserved on the thread stickies and I think we've held off on getting Earth finished for long enough.

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2007, 17:53:46 »

All 4 elemental schools would have necromancy but they would all look at it different.

Fire Necromancer
the inner fire of any life must be maintained or it will die to raise the dead you need to reignite the fire.

Earth Necromancy
has the philosophy of "Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return" (Genesis 3:19) ( I know thats out of context and Caelereth doesn't have bibles)

Water Necromancy
Each life form is supposed to have a certain amount of water cár’áll in it. If you reastablish the proper amount you will raise the dead. For example; If you water a plant that appears dead it will become green again, getting the water out of someones lungs so they don't drowned.

Air Necromancy
Air cár’áll must be in a constant state of motion maintaining a dynamic equilibrium. If this process is broken, as happens in suffocation, death occurs. They would have spells that move air in and out of the mouth and nose to reestablish a state of motion and dynamic equilibrium.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 August 2007, 17:52:13 »

All 4 elemental schools would have necromancy but they would all look at it different.

Fire Necromancer
the inner fire of any life must be maintained or it will die to raise the dead you need to reignite the fire.

Earth Necromancy
has the philosophy of "Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return" (Genesis 3:19) ( I know thats out of context and Caelereth doesn't have bibles)

Water Necromancy
Each life form is supposed to have a certain amount of water cár’áll in it. If you reastablish the proper amount you will raise the dead. For example; If you water a plant that appears dead it will become green again, getting the water out of someones lungs so they don't drowned.

Air Necromancy
Air cár’áll must be in a constant state of motion maintaining a dynamic equilibrium. If this process is broken, as happens in suffocation, death occurs. They would have spells that move air in and out of the mouth and nose to reestablish a state of motion and dynamic equilibrium.

Necromany does not make something alive again, only the illusion that it is alive. Earth is more on physical attributes of the body.

About the water thingy, hmmmm.... According to your example, water is more on healing rather than reviving...

Air: The undead does not need to breathe...

I think necromancy is brining the illusion of life in the dead things right? Exactly what makes  something alive?

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 August 2007, 22:49:30 »

Necromancy, as I understand the modern interpretation from Twen, is the process of giving animation to a corpse through magical means.  Thus, if you did wish to use wind, it would require the application of the property of motion.
Gaffin
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 12

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2007, 22:50:53 »

The 7 known conditions to life on earth are:

Homeostasis[b/]: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, sweating to reduce temperature.
Organization: Being composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
Metabolism: Consumption of energy by converting nonliving material into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of synthesis than catalysis. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter. The particular species begins to multiply and expand as the evolution continues to flourish.
Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.
Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism when touched to complex reactions involving all the senses of higher animals. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun or an animal chasing its prey.
Reproduction: The ability to produce new organisms. Reproduction can be the division of one cell to form two new cells. Usually the term is applied to the production of a new individual (either asexually, from a single parent organism, or sexually, from at least two differing parent organisms), although strictly speaking it also describes the production of new cells in the process of growth.

Now, an undead being cannot maintain a constant internal state by itself, so it does not posess the first characteristic.

Zombies still posess their basic physical bodies, so they are still composed of cells.

In the traditional sense, zombies do need to eat to survive (braaaaainnnnss...), but I'm not sure how Santharia handles this. I'll assume that they don't for convenience. :)

It does not grow at all.

They cannot adapt to their environment.

Since they are animated and thinking in a sense, they can react to most stimuli.

Not sure about reproduction, but I've never seen two zombies shag before, so I'll say this is a no too.

If one posesses all of those traits, one is considered to be living, so I don't think the zombies are living, just animated.

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Henry David Thoreau
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 August 2007, 23:01:14 »

eh....gaffin, while that whole cell thing is very scientific and appreciated, you have to remember that Zombies aren't living and, for the most part, are only temporary creations.  You'd have to ask Twen about exact details, but the way I see it, by providing animation to the corpse, not only to you get it moving physically, you jump-start some necessary functions for survival.  While a zombie doesn't need a heart or a stomach and stuff like that, muscles would need to be semi-functional.
Gaffin
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 August 2007, 23:31:59 »

I agree, but the point was that zombies aren't "living" in the popular sense.

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Henry David Thoreau
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 August 2007, 03:10:00 »

Fire??? I think Twen told me about the property of fire dancing. That the fire is somewhat alive... maybe thats it is used by necromancer?

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 August 2007, 03:11:39 »

Necromancy, as I understand the modern interpretation from Twen, is the process of giving animation to a corpse through magical means.  Thus, if you did wish to use wind, it would require the application of the property of motion.

Necromancy as it is made is not the explicit activity of animating a corpse. That is a property of it and the most commonly assumed trait, but Necromancy itself is "divination through communicating with the dead".

Reanimating a corpse is exactly that--reanimating a corpse. It is not the main process involved with Necromancy, only a part of it. Necromancy is much broader than that.

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 August 2007, 03:13:27 »

Fire??? I think Twen told me about the property of fire dancing. That the fire is somewhat alive... maybe thats it is used by necromancer?

Yes, Fire is the magic used for reanimating a corpse. But it doesn't make a corpse 'alive', just animated.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 August 2007, 03:17:01 »

Yes that is why I said, "somewhat alive" but how does this exactly work?

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 August 2007, 03:20:09 »

Yes that is why I said, "somewhat alive" but how does this exactly work?

By reanimating the muscles to respond to outside stimula (the caster's own will) at lower levels. At higher levels, the mage can activate both the animation of the muscles as well as the raw emotions of the mind (this will create angry and violent, but braindead, undead. The whole 'braaaains' eating zombie thing). With the spirit part activated, the undead will have basic mental impulses (emotions), and thus will be able to respond to some minor verbal commands.

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 August 2007, 03:23:53 »

so what if the dead guy has no brain anymore? then does that mean that he cannot activate the raw emotions?

Again... How does fire animate a corpse? A fire in a candle is somewhat alive... is this the property of fire tha makes something "somewhat alive"?

My Development Schedule
Gaffin
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 August 2007, 03:42:07 »

Shansi, you've been told that you can't think of magic in an earthen sense. It's exactly that - it's magic, so it can't exist on earth. Seeing how Caelereth is its own planet anyway, this doesn't even apply practically. One of fire's attributes is animation, because of how the flames dance, and how lively fire is.

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]