Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Iceland Shortsnout (Icesnout)  (Read 8709 times)
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2007, 04:32:08 »

What about risks of them getting preyed on from dragons and from large aquatic animals particularly when swimming?

I like the idea of them being used for riding beasts but how does the rider keep his butt from getting to cold while the icesnout gets to warm?

Dragons?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Vesk Lyricahl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2007, 05:00:26 »

Thanks Arti. :)

Xera, I don't see how that is relevant. To begin with, as far as I know, there is only one dragon in the Icelands, and it feeds on fish. As to aquatic creatures, could you be more specific? Exactly what predators live in the icy channels that I am unaware of? I don't think the Dark Stryke Shark swims up these channels, as the entry makes no mention of it. I assume that you've looked at the maps for the Icelands and thus know that this isn't the open sea I'm talking about here.
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2007, 06:54:06 »

The ice dragon could mistake icesnouts for fish when they're swimming.

The Icelands would have lots of under water caves were krakens would hide.

Frost Dragons could prey on icesnouts.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 05 September 2007, 10:45:41 »

The ice dragon could mistake icesnouts for fish when they're swimming.

The Icelands would have lots of under water caves were krakens would hide.

Frost Dragons could prey on icesnouts.

1. Fish? Have you seen the picture of this creature Xera? Does it look like a fish to you?

2. Aren't Krakens located in seas?

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 September 2007, 12:04:01 »

1 A shark will eat mostly fish and not eat birds however to a shark their is no difference between a fish and a bird in water, it's all food :)

2 There are above water caves where the white bear lives so bellow water ones would exist too. Giant Krakens like to live in bellow water caves. The icelands are relatively close to the sea.

The white bear is large enough that it could prey on isolated individuals loners or ones that stray too far from the heard. It also hunts by smell so conflicts would occur when they are hunting the same prey.

Caracals are about the same size thus could put up a good fight and with their fearless atitude would clash with them.
Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 September 2007, 18:15:20 »

Response in Order:

1. Sharks are not Dragons...We are talking about Dragons...Much more intelligent

2. Only the smaller Kraken lives in caves...and that is only large enough to eat shellfish (also lives on ocean floor so wouldn't be able to reach Icesnout)

3. White Bear eats only fish, and some seals....

HOWEVER

I suppose Caracals can cause a threat to them...So if Vesk wants to he can include that...

Decipher

Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2007, 00:45:56 »

When reading your beautifully written entry there were two things that I noticed. When I came to the part that said, “to avoid predators.” the first thing that popped into my mind was, “Yeesh! What would want to eat that thing?” However since they are large creatures and only give birth about every four years perhaps predators could be eliminated in favor of competitors. The second was the layer of fat for warmth. Why would they need this? Perhaps a layer of something else similar to keep it from thawing. Just some thoughts from a novice, enjoyed reading your entry.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 06 September 2007, 02:18:02 »

Need to keep in mind the level of intelligence of the creatures you are trying to explain Xera...

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2007, 05:32:21 »

As to the creation of the Icesnout, the men of the Ice Tribes tell a tale of the union of the gods and the gift one bestowed upon his children.

The Union of Ice and Snow. As the world began, the gods copulated to create life. Of the union of Chelinor, god of snow, and Pargis was born a creature formed of snow and ice, delighting in the cold surrounding it. Gaily it dove in and out of the ice and into the frigid waters below. Not one creature was born but several as the first pack of Icesnouts roamed the tundra. With loud bellows and the quaking of ice their presence was made known.

Centuries passed and Pargis came to the world. Ice cracked and shattered as the figure of a man stepped free from a glacier, walking among the Icesnouts as he gazed upon his offspring. Pleased he was with their love of the ice, but it irked him to see them bury carcasses in the snow only to lose them to the caracal, favored cat of his sibling Necteref, the incarnation of death. A storm of sleeting ice came upon the world as Pargis bestowed upon his children an icy breath with which to freeze their meals.   

Somehow it feels like it ends abruptly, like there needs to be a sentence or two more.  I like this version much better than the first one.  :)

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2007, 06:28:01 »

giant krakens live in caves but since they tend to stay towards the bottom icesnouts wouldn't run into 'em to often.
Vesk Lyricahl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 September 2007, 06:55:01 »

Altario: I'm making you reread the myths yet again my friend. ;) They have been entirely rewritten and expanded. The ideas are basically the same, I just said them in oh so many more words. :P

Drucilla: Good call on the predators! Thank you for catching that. I didn't mean to imply that the Icesnout has any predators. It has now been changed to competitors as you suggested. ;) And as to the layer of fat, I don't know what else they could have. I think it makes sense to have something to keep their temperatures above freezing, so the fat works to me. They don't have nearly the capabilities of other Iceland creatures at resisting the cold.

Xera: As Deci and Kali have pointed out, only one beast that you've mentioned is actually plausible in finding a mention in this entry, the caracal. I've already mentioned these large cats as competitors for the Icesnouts' prey and as potential thieves of their kills. That is the only relationship between the two predators.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2007, 06:57:21 by Vesk Lyricahl » Logged
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 06 September 2007, 07:50:04 »

Territory. Giant Krakens can be found only within deep oceans. The Giant Kraken uses its suckers to anchor itself to the ocean floor in which it is hunts for food. Kraken roam solitary within their 3 furlay, claimed territory. They normally live in an underwater cave, deep near the ocean floor where they are practically impossible to find.

That is why they wouldn't prey on icesnouts ^.~

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2007, 20:45:08 »

Not to sound like we are ganging up on you Xera- but the 'Deep Oceans' and 'Ocean floor' bits make it virtually impossible for these monsters to prey on Icesnouts....they don't migrate across continents...Only leagues at a time...perhaps even less....

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 September 2007, 21:40:44 »

Oh, Vesk, you said them in all the right words.  I like both myths very much. grin

I find nothing wrong with the myth sections.  I will now integrate this into the Remusian Revisions.

Nice entry.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Vesk Lyricahl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 September 2007, 22:21:01 »

Thanks Altario. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]