Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wondering about the armor  (Read 2042 times)
Ruil Mallister

Gained Aura: 0

Ruin of House Mallister

View Profile
« on: 23 September 2007, 08:11:28 »

Hello peoples.  I realize it's been a while since I've done any dev work, but I was scrolling through the Armor sections (as I couldn't remember doing so before), and saw that there were only three entries: leather, mail, plate.  And some of the things mentioned in said entries seem a tad bit off.

I'm very knowledgable with arms and armor, and I revised the Spears post as well as created the Lance entry.  I was hoping I could get permission to revise the armor sections as warm-ups.  After that, I intend to do some work on lamellar armor, among others.

Would that be okay?

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2007, 20:11:47 »

Um....Do they need revision?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2007, 23:24:14 »

And some of the things mentioned in said entries seem a tad bit off.

When you say "off" what do you mean? Simply because they don't compare perfectly with their Terran counterparts it doesn't necessarily mean they are "off." Were not trying to rebuild a perfect reproduction of everything on earth you know. :) Could some of those things that are incorrect be that way on purpose...?

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Ruil Mallister

Ruin of House Mallister

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2007, 02:04:15 »

The post wasn't wrong, and I don't want to sound like that's what I'm trying to say.  I was just reading it, and a few things seemed to be scattered about the entry.  Not all of the terms used were described, and one of them was misspelled.  So I'm not trying to change it into something new, just revise it so it reads a little easier, is all.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2007, 03:02:40 »

Ruil, there is a problem. I just looked at the entries you want to revise. They are only written last year (see date) and Nsiki is still around. Therefore the question , if revision is needed. I have no idea, if something could be/need to be changed there.

Why don't you write a general overview about armours in Sarvonia(or Caelereth maybe, but starting smaller is always recommended).  There you can explain the general purpose of armour, when a light one might be enough and a heavy one is needed (i don't have the slightest idea HOW you could structure it) .Then you describe what we have (and where it is used) including what we already have (leather, chain... Shendar!!) , but you can add future ones already you plan to write (ask the creators of the tribe if they are ok with it). A general history of armour , what about this?

If there could be added something to the current entries, you may point this out as well, but a revision might  not be a good idea in the moment.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ruil Mallister

Ruin of House Mallister

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2007, 04:51:41 »

Oh okay. Drasil informed me the person hadn't been around for a while, not that I'm pointing any fingers.. so that's all I knew.  Either way, it was a good excercise typing it up anyway! I'll take your suggestions and start seeing what I can do.

I certainly hope I didn't insult anyone...

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2007, 09:28:39 »

Nsiki hasn't been here for a while...I never said that it meant that you had open dibs on rewriting his entries though.  I haven't seen Nsiki in more than 3 months.
Drucilla Sablewolffe
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

human,Kuglim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2007, 12:04:28 »

Just a suggestion but I was noticing that our knives are rather slim. We have a few special knives but more typical, like say the equivalent to a Bowie knife or ordinary hunting knife, there are no descriptions of them that I could find. Most of the knives listed are hard to acquire and everybody needs a knife. Perhaps a knives overview with a few different types of ordinary knives listed. Maybe that would interest you. I don’t know, maybe I’m the only one that thinks that would be useful, but I do.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2007, 15:51:23 »

I'm not sure but I think I saw Nsiki in the last week shortly on the RPG board. Three months absence is nothing and I would be offended if someone revised an entry I have written which is just a year old. Ruil, have you send a PM asking him?

I said you may point out where a weakness in those entries lies, but not post a whole revision. I still think you should message him and ask him if he is ok with it.

And work meanwhile on all the other proposals! :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2007, 16:22:39 »

I agree... 3 months is a very short time here to be gone really..... 

Why not come up with original armour entries in the meantime... or like was suggested, an overview... perhaps at some future date, you can revisit the revision idea, should Nsiki not come back....

Don't let this discourage you, its just a way to protect the integrity of the work of others... as long as there is a chance someone will come back, they should be afforded that right... to a reasonable degree....  you will understand this better after you labour long and hard on an entry, have it get scrutinized by everyone... make the necessary changes, while fighting for the points you strongly believe in.... after that, and it is finally accepted and put into the compendium, it becomes somewhat like a child to you... you cherish it and hold it dear...  a year later and someone wants to change it??  might not be long enough....

good luck in whichever direction you decide to go....

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2007, 19:45:54 »

A few notes here:

- Asking if it is ok to update/revise an entry is good.
- Posting the revision before you've got an ok to rework it is not good.
- Updating/revising I would also interpret as trying to improve the entry, not to rewrite it pretty much entirely.
- As a matter of fact you also see two credits at the bottom of the entry. I helped Nsiki to get a bunch of things right, and I used various sources to ensure that what I added/adjusted was ok.
- Of course one can always improve an entry, but if there is already a very detailed entry existing one should try to work with that material as good as possible and make adjustment/improvements without completely discarding larger portions of the entry, which I think is the case here. If things are "just a tad off" as you say yourself, then there wouldn't really be the need to more or less completely rewrite the entry, or? There were people who have worked on that entry with quite a bit of effort, and this should be respected as well.
- Working on a new entry on another kind of armour/weapon etc. should be much less problematic.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ruil Mallister

Ruin of House Mallister

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2007, 03:08:26 »

@Drasil: As I said, all you said was that he hasn't been around for a while. You didn't state a time period, or anything else.  I wasn't pointing any fingers or trying to blame you for my error, Drasil.  I was just saying that "he hasn't been on for a while" was all I knew.

To the rest: Again, I'm sorry. I certainly didn't mean to upset or insult anyone.  I was going to go ahead and get started with the suggestions Talia mentioned: an overview of various types of armor, and then go into detail about each one as I can...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!